This Week in Battlefield V

Updates are too big

Comments

• ChiefSniper
    159 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 9
    It's common sense that games nowadays will have huge file sizes. Your internet connection is just like any other piece of computer hardware... if you want the best performance, you'll need a good high-speed internet connection to make the most out of it. Harsh but true.
    Also, that hash check that Origin does before it downloads the update is a requirement to ensure that your game updates correctly, because they know how annoyed you all get with all the whining and moaning you all do when something breaks, so have some patience and be thankful.
  • ragnarok013
    3214 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    If you cannot get an unlimited broadband in 2019, you have to reconsider your life choices.
    I'd say reconsider one's ISP but a small number of locales aren't fortunate enough to have choice in that area
  • RipperShark
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't know, MMO's have been able to update for years while minimizing download sizes.  Why is it that updating BF seems to require such large updates?  Sure, a new map will require more data, but every update seems to be huge.  I have a good connection and no limit, so it isn't really a problem, but I did notice that the patch sizes seemed larger than other games.
  • DigitalHype
    774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    Is there such a thing as a limited plan on regular (not mobile phone) internet?
    Yes. Many provider's with near-monopoly positions institue data caps in those regions. For example Cox Communication has a 1TB monthly limit in many locations. Even on thier highest tier. After that its $10 for every 50GB of data, or and additional $50 monthly flat fee on top of your monthly bill, to remove the cap.
  • TectonicGuns
    310 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    XBOX should have a update scheduler to help people with larger night-time data caps than day-time.
  • nikon56
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @nikon56 what has that got to do with my post.

It has zero relevance. We are talking weight of file and cost.

What because your first attempt at thread jacking failed you go back for more?

Get over it.
    thread jacking a thread about update mechanism, with remarks about said update mechanism? do you need some brain?
  • StarscreamUK
    7283 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    If you can't remain civil and on topic, don't post guys
  • VincentNZ
    2885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I do not think it is quite fair to critisise OP for his contract, in some places or in some life circumstances an alternative might not be given. Data limits, might indeed make a comeback as the load increases, it is logical. After all we create traffic and some companies or people might want to base the price on usage, similar to a toll on freeway usage.
    6 years ago Telekom here in Germany had plans to impose a limit at highspeed downloads of 60GB, as I recall and was halted for breaking net neutrality because they still gave you unlimited downloads for their partners (which could have included Steam, Netflix etc..).
  • Wickid_Splat
    137 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So if BF is in a sense going to require an unlimited ISP plan in order to update and play their game, then maybe they should also provide an ISP to do so.  Why dont they branch off and start a EA or BF ISP  that is affordable so that we can all have the benefit of downloading the updates without penalty of limits and also play the game as much as we want without limits.  I just cant afford $100+ a month for a unlimited plan.  So how about it EA, can we see a EA ISP in the future some day.  
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3365 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you cannot get an unlimited broadband in 2019, you have to reconsider your life choices.
    I'm sorry, but not everyone lives in a state or country where it is even an option to acquire unlimited broadband, never mind being able to afford such a connection.
  • StarscreamUK
    7283 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    So if BF is in a sense going to require an unlimited ISP plan in order to update and play their game, then maybe they should also provide an ISP to do so.  Why dont they branch off and start a EA or BF ISP  that is affordable so that we can all have the benefit of downloading the updates without penalty of limits and also play the game as much as we want without limits.  I just cant afford $100+ a month for a unlimited plan.  So how about it EA, can we see a EA ISP in the future some day.  

As you also state it is an issue with steam games too, ask steam too
  • sabootheshaman
    1100 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You seppo’s get pumped on your internizzle. It sucks.

@Wickid_Splat unfortunately bunj I cannot see that ever happening. I think it’s clearly stated in your TOS that it’s your problem.

They don’t really choose to do this. It’s just the nature of the game engine and how it’s developed.

Also that cost would be past on to the rest of us in all likelihood. It’s also not really in EA’s wheelhouse.

Sorry bunj, I can’t see it happening.
  • Titan_Awaken
    727 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    NO!

Do not give them any ideas! The last thing anyone wants is for EA to introduce some half baked "live service" internet plans crammed to the brim with lootboxes (or rather "surprise mechanics") containing plan offers/packages and discounts.

Could you imagine that?

-

But in all seriousness if money is a tight issue and you can't afford to upgrade, the only thing I can recommend is to play online less or proactively split your gaming sessions between day and night. I'm not trying to be inflammatory and I sincerely apologise if I sound like a d-bag here but you're in the minority here. As much as I dislike defending EA, it's simply impossible for them to cater to everybody's individual needs; even more so when their needs are a fringe issue that most people don't face.
  • Capuonce
    65 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Who else uses limited plans these days srsly...
  • StarscreamUK
    Capuonce said:
    some people have no other option
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2884 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 11
    Capuonce said:
    But 50GB limit? Here in Ireland I can go and get a mobile internet for 30EUR/month with 750GB to spare at any time.

Even in my home country (Latvia) you can get an unlimited 4G mobile internet for less than 20EUR/month. And thats in a small communist country in the middle of nowhere.
  • VincentNZ
    2885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Capuonce said:
    But 50GB limit? Here in Ireland I can go and get a mobile internet for 30EUR/month with 750GB to spare at any time.

Even in my home country (Latvia) you can get an unlimited 4G mobile internet for less than 20EUR/month. And thats in a small communist country in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry but Latvia is basically the poster boy for high speed internet in Europe. :D Also the bigger the country the worse the internet is and the coverage naturally. And the further you are away from city centres the worse it gets as well. We do not know where OP lives, or lived, so it might indeed be the only option, and it might be much more costly than 20€ per month.
  • firechickenfan
    468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    Is there such a thing as a limited plan on regular (not mobile phone) internet?

Yes. Many provider's with near-monopoly positions institue data caps in those regions. For example Cox Communication has a 1TB monthly limit in many locations. Even on thier highest tier. After that its $10 for every 50GB of data, or and additional $50 monthly flat fee on top of your monthly bill, to remove the cap.

Comcast does the EXACT same.

1tb per month allowance

10.00 usd for every 50 gigs over.
  • OskooI_007
    769 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Best mobile plan in the United States of 'Murica costs $55 and gets you 60GB of data at 4G speed. Phone companies advertise 'Unlimited' plans, but they limit you to 2G dial up speed after so many gigabytes are used.
  • Woodlbrad
    644 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Might wanna look into changing your internet provider or just stick to single player games its the new norm for any online game now constant updates.