LevelCap--BFV is in trouble

Comments

• ragnarok013
    3884 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    55567900 said:
    TL;DR  
    Among the saddest things you can see someone post.  The idea that four brief paragraphs represents more of an intellectual barrier than many people are prepared to handle is discouraging.
    parkingbrake dial it back and keep it civil.
  • ElliotLH
    9554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I normally don't pay all that much attention to YouTubers but I thought LevelCap did a good job in that video. 
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2019
    VincentNZ said:
    Yeah, that is just a symptom at the moment really. My biggest gripes like the UI/UX, the gadget nerfs, the feature-bloat, assignment issues, and poor map design are in this game from the get go. The game released in exactly the same state as it is now, although many fixes and improvements have been made. Just with the last patch they all switched to more critical videos, because not doing so would generate less views.
    They could have released all these critical videos from release on a weekly basis, but refrained from doing so. Now it is safe to critisise.
    Much of this video consists of excerpts from LC videos going back months and months, those clips show that so many problems in the game (which he has been discussing all along) have gone unfixed.  Those clips have big dates on them, so your contention that YouTuber criticism of BFV only started with the last patch is visibly incorrect--it is somewhat amazing that you would make that claim given that those dated video clips are there.

As with the other YouTubers the recent decay in the game's network performance (and other ongoing issues) has motivated LC to focus on the negative aspects in exactly the way so many players are doing.  What else is he supposed to do?  If he ignored those issues he would be slammed for sugar-coating the state of the game, called a shill for EA.  But when he discusses them he's accused of just jumping on the bandwagon--he is in a lose-lose situation where no matter what he does it will draw criticism from somebody.

I rarely watch video game streamers or YouTubers, with the exception of Wacky Jacky and Chris at Battle(non)sense I don't find enough of value in those often over-long videos to attract me, I would rather play than watch someone else play.  But currently all the YouTubers are saying the same thing, and they're echoing what large numbers of players are saying about the state of BFV (which by the way is not exactly the same as it was at launch, the network performance in particular is now worse than it was).  I can't see how they can ignore what is happening.  And yet according to some folks here a video pointing out the broken state of BFV is the wrong thing to do even if they agree with what the YouTuber is saying--I honestly don't understand that reaction.
    Post edited by parkingbrake on
  • Alaedrea
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    A YouTuber's job is to generate views to their videos. Nothing more, nothing less. Yes some of these YouTubers have been given money to promote the game, but it is not their main source of revenue. And in the case of BF5, these promotions are only every time new major content comes out (Firestorm, Launch, Pacific Theatre). In the meantime they have to make near daily videos to sustain their viewership/income. Nothing generates views like negative, melodramatic opinions to things. He and every other "BF YouTuber" did the same thing for BF1, and BF4 before that. The fact that they fool the vast majority of people into thinking they genuinely believe these things or even care about them, is why they keep doing it, and keep being successful.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Alaedrea said:
    A YouTuber's job is to generate views to their videos. Nothing more, nothing less. Yes some of these YouTubers have been given money to promote the game, but it is not their main source of revenue. And in the case of BF5, these promotions are only every time new major content comes out (Firestorm, Launch, Pacific Theatre). In the meantime they have to make near daily videos to sustain their viewership/income. Nothing generates views like negative, melodramatic opinions to things. He and every other "BF YouTuber" did the same thing for BF1, and BF4 before that. The fact that they fool the vast majority of people into thinking they genuinely believe these things or even care about them, is why they keep doing it, and keep being successful.
    It is overly cynical to think that these guys have absolutely no passion for the games that form the basis of their livelihood, that they have no genuine concerns.  They were players before they were YouTubers, and there are moments when you can see and hear their excitement when they play (at least some of the time).  It also makes no sense to say they don't care about the state of a game whose failure would represent a blow to their income.  When three popular streamers teamed up to make a group video about their concerns over PUBG they expressed exactly that point, that they had made a professional commitment to PUBG and their income was endangered by the publisher losing touch with players and doing things which in their opinion called the future of the game into question.  The idea that people don't really care about something that is the basis of their income is highly unconvincing, it's surprising to see someone express a view that silly.

You're also overlooking that if players think YouTubers are ignoring problems in a game, and by extension ignoring players who would like to see those problems fixed, they will be less likely to watch those videos much less subscribe or donate.  There is no credible way for these YouTubers to ignore these issues.  That doesn't mean none sometimes kick up some dust to get more viewers, of course some do.  But that doesn't translate to them not caring at all about the games, or this current wave of negative commentary being manufactured and not representing what so many players see every day.
  • TyroneLoyd_TV
    1774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Alaedrea wrote: »

Are you a YouTube or streamer? If not then what gives you the right to say thats the only thing they care about. Actually coming from that side of the barn whatever you just said is complete nonsense if its your hobby playing and making content for bf or any game for that matter. Sure ideally you can and want to make money but some of these people including myself still have daily jobs and make enough to make end meet and more. Its naive to say "its only for the money" when you dont know the individual personally.
  • dICEHOUSE
    570 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    An interesting and slightly ironic comment Level C made around 10:45. " DICE cannot keep releasing patches that break the game...."

How about, " DICE ( EA to be Kosher) cannot keep releasing games that are broke...." Future Forward.

I mean, it would take a huge improvement from this point forward in regards to just the game issues discussed here in this thread for me to consider purchasing another BF or even another EA game. Not to mention my own personal gripes. It's disappointing to say this being a huge proponent of BF.

• XRothbardX
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i have decided after just a few minutes of trying to play this afternoon that i have to quit this game, at least for a while. maybe they will turn this ship around but, the game at this point for me is broken and i cant continue to have this frustrating experience with a game. i quit some of dices other titles in the past for these same type of issues (bugs) and returned some time later to find a better product so, i can only hope that battlefield can do the same thing. i will be keeping up with the patches and community since i do enjoy the title for the most part and do hope the game returns to a playable state. 
  • parkingbrake
    i have decided after just a few minutes of trying to play this afternoon that i have to quit this game, at least for a while. maybe they will turn this ship around but, the game at this point for me is broken and i cant continue to have this frustrating experience with a game. i quit some of dices other titles in the past for these same type of issues (bugs) and returned some time later to find a better product so, i can only hope that battlefield can do the same thing. i will be keeping up with the patches and community since i do enjoy the title for the most part and do hope the game returns to a playable state. 
    They turned around BF4, so it's not impossible BFV will be fixed.  However since then EA had adopted a whole new business model in which keeping costs down is key, so it seems unlikely they will pour money into a game which does not appear to be bringing in millions in skin sales.  The popular belief is most of DICE is no longer working on BFV, they're already on other projects, so this slow and halting rate of repairs might be permanent simply because EA has BFV on a tight budget compared with previous BF games.
  • Woodlbrad
    744 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2019
    8 months later and the game is running worse than the beta its in trouble just read the memes.
    Post edited by Woodlbrad on
  • Chubzdoomer
    1397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    LevelCap is right on the money.  I'm in awe just how far this game has regressed since launch, especially performance-wise.

Bar none the most mismanaged Battlefield game to date.  It's like Battlefield 4, in reverse.
  • DARTmanJOE
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    there are quite a lot of shady shots being thrown arround
  • Chubzdoomer
    1397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2019
    VincentNZ said:
    Yeah, that is just a symptom at the moment really. My biggest gripes like the UI/UX, the gadget nerfs, the feature-bloat, assignment issues, and poor map design are in this game from the get go. The game released in exactly the same state as it is now, although many fixes and improvements have been made. Just with the last patch they all switched to more critical videos, because not doing so would generate less views. 
    It absolutely did not.  The performance--stuttering, specifically--has gotten significantly worse, just as LevelCap stated in his video.

Even a basic search will show you that countless others have observed the game's performance tanking over the last several updates.
  • parkingbrake
    VincentNZ said:
    It absolutely did not.  The performance--stuttering, specifically--has gotten significantly worse, just as LevelCap stated in his video.

Even a basic search will show you that countless others have observed the game's performance tanking over the last several updates.
    It would be odd to say the game is the same as when it launched when even DICE has admitted network performance issues have appeared recently, i.e. the infamous stuttering which they said was first reported by PC players but has since appeared on consoles as well.  When even the game's developer admits to it, how can anyone suggest it's just YouTubers making it up as click-bait?
  • DayZEternal1
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Youtubers will immidiately flip-flop as soon as money is payed or Dice released a working fix for the game. Their opinions are worthless and it's been proven many many times.
    I suppose we should also ignore any negative feedback they release in that case? The very thing they're not getting paid for?
  • Nutcrusherr
    357 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The game released in exactly the same state as it is now

I dont know what u're smoking vinci boy but i want some...
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    They could have released all these critical videos from release on a weekly basis, but refrained from doing so. Now it is safe to critisise.
    Much of this video consists of excerpts from LC videos going back months and months, those clips show that so many problems in the game (which he has been discussing all along) have gone unfixed.  Those clips have big dates on them, so your contention that YouTuber criticism of BFV only started with the last patch is visibly incorrect--it is somewhat amazing that you would make that claim given that those dated video clips are there.

As with the other YouTubers the recent decay in the game's network performance (and other ongoing issues) has motivated LC to focus on the negative aspects in exactly the way so many players are doing.  What else is he supposed to do?  If he ignored those issues he would be slammed for sugar-coating the state of the game, called a shill for EA.  But when he discusses them he's accused of just jumping on the bandwagon--he is in a lose-lose situation where no matter what he does it will draw criticism from somebody.

I rarely watch video game streamers or YouTubers, with the exception of Wacky Jacky and Chris at Battle(non)sense I don't find enough of value in those often over-long videos to attract me, I would rather play than watch someone else play.  But currently all the YouTubers are saying the same thing, and they're echoing what large numbers of players are saying about the state of BFV (which by the way is not exactly the same as it was at launch, the network performance in particular is now worse than it was).  I can't see how they can ignore what is happening.  And yet according to some folks here a video pointing out the broken state of BFV is the wrong thing to do even if they agree with what the YouTuber is saying--I honestly don't understand that reaction.

I specifically talked in plural here, since these threads pop up now on a weekly whenever some guy drops a critical video. Which happened around last week. I watched the video, too and deliberately not got into details. It is a montage of him critisising the game since the release. That is quite impressive, indeed, however you should also consider that he drops like 3-4 commented videos a week, since release and even way before that. And that general tone was entirely different all across the youtubers, with great hype and general enjoyment, similar to BF1, although the problems were apparent even in November.
    I'll grant you that levelcap was always more critical than others, most likely because he dropped out of the game changers program before, which must have hurt his revenue bigly. They could have said all the things they are saying now for months already, and would have been absolutely correct and right do so, but now they are simply riding the wave to create enough views with BFV content. "They served DICE well, when serving was safe." The game is totally borked and still not in a good release state or feature-complete, but now they change their tune?

@Nutcrusherr Oh they changed some things here and there, but the general state of the game is still the same. Close to everything in this game is cumbersome, needlessly complicated, buggy, slow and unpolished and it will never be fixed. It just can not because the foundation of this game is sloppily designed. They can never fully get rid of assignment tracking dropping your fps, the UI/UX will always be frustrating to use and you will always need 9 clicks to customize your weapon. And we are still missing features (vehicle customization), and the stuff they added has, as expected, been a total waste.
  • Dirty_Harry_II
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2019
    The problem is that DICE is swe. It has always been that way. BF3/4 DICE La fix the games not dice swe. i Dont think EA it the problem here but DICE swe. My company irl works a lot with Sweden and it is the same [removed]. an ther cant stop
    [edited for profanity]
    Post edited by ragnarok013 on
  • zenn_nme
    851 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Seems relevant.

• Nutcrusherr
    357 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    parkingbrake said:

VincentNZ said:

I specifically talked in plural here, since these threads pop up now on a weekly whenever some guy drops a critical video. Which happened around last week. I watched the video, too and deliberately not got into details. It is a montage of him critisising the game since the release. That is quite impressive, indeed, however you should also consider that he drops like 3-4 commented videos a week, since release and even way before that. And that general tone was entirely different all across the youtubers, with great hype and general enjoyment, similar to BF1, although the problems were apparent even in November.I'll grant you that levelcap was always more critical than others, most likely because he dropped out of the game changers program before, which must have hurt his revenue bigly. They could have said all the things they are saying now for months already, and would have been absolutely correct and right do so, but now they are simply riding the wave to create enough views with BFV content. "They served DICE well, when serving was safe." The game is totally borked and still not in a good release state or feature-complete, but now they change their tune?.
    @Nutcrusherr Oh they changed some things here and there, but the general state of the game is still the same. Close to everything in this game is cumbersome, needlessly complicated, buggy, slow and unpolished and it will never be fixed. It just can not because the foundation of this game is sloppily designed. They can never fully get rid of assignment tracking dropping your fps, the UI/UX will always be frustrating to use and you will always need 9 clicks to customize your weapon. And we are still missing features (vehicle customization), and the stuff they added has, as expected, been a total waste.

I agree with you on levelcap and the other youtuber parts for sure.
    But the game was so much better fps- wise 2-3 months ago. I played on high now i have to play on low to get the same fps..
    I dont mind bugs too much, never did. Theres no game which is bug free. I dont mind general changes either. Only mad about the fps decrease mate. I'm still having tremendous fun, cant rly stop playing despite all the problems..
    What these youtubers are doing is simply about the money.