Team Balancing is a joke in BFV

Comments

• ninjapenquinuk
    2247 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    As a game it's impossible to balance. You could have the best algorithms in the world but you can't balance players deciding sniping from spawn is a good way to play. Yes that would show up in the balancing stats but so would a thousand other things.
    Actually, that's exactly what an algorithm can assess and predict. Everything in this game is a data point and can be measured. There is no shortage of data, just a shortage of will to implement a system.

Just looking at most games you can see players often fall into three broad groups:

1. CoD jumping, ADAD spamming, John Wick, GI-Joes
    2. Average run of the mill players
    3. Beginners

It would not be hard at all to apply a dynamic algorithm to the player base and group players accordingly. As they become more practiced, more skilled, they will ultimately move up a tier and the game would suggest servers at an appropriate difficulty level. Players would be able to select more difficult servers if they choose, but not be able to select an easier level.

Two data scientists could write the basic algorithms in about a month, then another month for Devs to apply it to the game.

This is my major frustration with the game, that it really is not that hard to do.
    But you cannot take into account players playing 'off script' for a multitude of reasons-actively attempting assignments, trying out new weapons/vehicles, in the mood to just snipe or play solo instead of a squad , having a pint or 3 and a pizza, etc etc. Now think all 64 players can all do random things and you will still get many unbalanced games. No doubt, devs could do better though 
  • Venomenal1
    289 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2019
    With today's Tech. developers Can write programs of all kinds to balance games. I personally thought BF4, BFH and BF1 worked well enough as I don't remember having the one sided battles over and over like in BFV. With all the bad marketing for this title and all its bugs together with one sided battles doesn't make this a fun game anymore. I long for the days that every game/match/battle/mode becomes fun again, win or lose.
    MBFGA 😜😜😜
  • B3ast_1n_B3d
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm beginning to think Dice does this on purpose ever since BF1, one team will totally dominate the other to trigger those fast dopamine rushes.
    B3ast_1n_B3d  completely untrue, if you recall at launch we had the "catch up mechanic" that DICE put in BF5 artificially made games very close. The community soundly rejected that mechanic for a more traditional conquest experience and the catch up mechanic was removed. Also the game only balances on numbers, not skill, not SPM nor rank so the outcomes are completely random and even changes from round to round frequently. Last night I had a lot of blow out victories and then suddenly we were getting blown out and then we had several raze close matches all on the same server.
    i don't know which games you've been playing but the balance in BF V and BF 1 is atrocious, you can literally lose for hours straight. close matches are a rarirty.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm beginning to think Dice does this on purpose ever since BF1, one team will totally dominate the other to trigger those fast dopamine rushes.
    B3ast_1n_B3d  completely untrue, if you recall at launch we had the "catch up mechanic" that DICE put in BF5 artificially made games very close. The community soundly rejected that mechanic for a more traditional conquest experience and the catch up mechanic was removed. Also the game only balances on numbers, not skill, not SPM nor rank so the outcomes are completely random and even changes from round to round frequently. Last night I had a lot of blow out victories and then suddenly we were getting blown out and then we had several raze close matches all on the same server.
    i don't know which games you've been playing but the balance in BF V and BF 1 is atrocious, you can literally lose for hours straight. close matches are a rarirty.
    Unfortunately, 'balanced' matches have always been rare in this franchise. I've sometimes played BF3/4 for several hours in which I either won every match, or lost every match really badly. Scores like 750-0 or 0-750 were fairly common when I played BF4. It certainly didn't improve in BF1, and it hasn't improved so far in BFV.

I'm not sure if DICE can ever get this done, though I can see that balancing 64 players against each other is harder than balancing 10 or so players against each other, which we see in 'competitive' games like CSGO ... hell, even those games have terrible balance issues. Smurfs are all over the place in CSGO and RS6.
  • Venomenal1
    289 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Today I'm in a team in Conquest that is getting totally over run 3 games in a row, the 4th game I bail after having enough of this. I accidentally rejoin the same server but this time on the opposite team and see my old team mate as an enemy now. Their numbers are about 8-10 players short of what we have and they are still in the position of being slaughtered. SERIOUSLY DICE Your Game is Broken.
  • Venomenal1
    Today I'm in a team in Conquest that is getting totally over run 3 games in a row, the 4th game I bail after having enough of this. I accidentally rejoin the same server but this time on the opposite team and see my old team mate as an enemy now. Their numbers are about 8-10 players short of what we have and they are still in the position of being slaughtered. SERIOUSLY DICE Your Game is Broken.
  • DevilsBathtub
    853 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I used to switch to the lower player count team in BF4 if they were getting stomped.
    Then do the sneaky and take some flags, so rewarding when it turns the game around.
    Team switch should be in the game.
  • Tullzter
    1271 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I played a game of squad conquest yesterday where we were 7 vs. 2 players ....
  • scottith
    62 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You already have a topic about this?
    Ok it's broken, we all know and it is super frustrating but we don't need muiltple threads on the topic.

Let's hope the hotfix on Thursday fixes most of the issues :neutral:
  • TropicPoison
    2505 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    scottith wrote: »
    Ok it's broken, we all know and it is super frustrating but we don't need muiltple threads on the topic.

You give DICE far too much credit.
  • scottith
    62 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    scottith wrote: »

You give DICE far too much credit.

Hahaha that I do. But I would rather think they are working on it so I can jump back in and start enjoying it again.
  • Shadeblast
    59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Most of us already payed the price. Why badmouth the game and demoralise development?
    The game will be enjoyably playable at some point. That's how it was with the 3 Battlefield titles before....
  • Tullzter
    1271 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Most of us already payed the price. Why badmouth the game and demoralise development?
    The game will be enjoyably playable at some point. That's how it was with the 3 Battlefield titles before....
    Well that "point" better reach here fast because we are already reaching the half life of this game meaning half of it's life has been spent in a state of disrepair and constant malfunction, it's no use making a game "enjoyably playable" after 15 months when all the playerbase has already moved on
  • ragnarok013
    3884 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    scottith said:

scottith I merged his two redundant topics so now there is one!
  • Venomenal1
    Do you the community also know that at the end of a game, the " END OF ROUND - Summary", if it says "COULD NOT FETCH YOUR YOUR REPORT", do you realize all the time you spent playing that match is for nothing? That's right, it was a complete waste of time to help you rank up if you are still ranking up, it also doesn't go towards you ranking up in the Tier department where you get the different skins and assignment unlocks in he CHAPTER REWARDS. Yep , No REWARDS. SMH.
  • DayZEternal1
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If it's a rocket science to pair people on roughly the same skill level using statistics, then alright. But an auto-balance should of been implemented since Day 1 to avoid 9v20s. It's a feature that should of been a no-brainer for multiplayer.

Is it frustrating to get put on the other team mid-match? Of course. But not nearly as frustrating as being in one-sided matches where you're either fighting no one or fighting everyone by yourself. That's how servers die. On top of that, they don't bring new players into a match to compensate for the ones that leave. Absolutely mind-boggling. 
  • Venomenal1
    If it's a rocket science to pair people on roughly the same skill level using statistics, then alright. But an auto-balance should of been implemented since Day 1 to avoid 9v20s. It's a feature that should of been a no-brainer for multiplayer.

Is it frustrating to get put on the other team mid-match? Of course. But not nearly as frustrating as being in one-sided matches where you're either fighting no one or fighting everyone by yourself. That's how servers die. On top of that, they don't bring new players into a match to compensate for the ones that leave. Absolutely mind-boggling. 
    SPOT ON👍👍👍
  • Venomenal1
    I am Super sick of being in a team that steam rolls another team over and over and over, one day and then the next day we are the team being steam rolled over and over. This is not how it used to be in other battlefield games, What the Hell is going on DICE???
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

There is an auto-balancer in this game, sadly it balances just before players usually leave, right after the next map loaded. People leaving before are often still "on the server" because of the long quitting times, or leave after they see what map comes next.
    Yes servers can die because of this, however, this does not really matter since even with many people leaving they will fill up eventually, since everybody joins through matchmaking. If they do not the treshold of leaving is way less than on community servers in BF4.
    Also when thinking about team-balancing players often take one round as precedent foo their game experience and leave out all the games they can not remember that weren't stomps. Also a "stomp" is highly subjective and perception can vary greatly here, depending on how much you value personal performance, round duration and ticket count and bleed.
    The real issue when talking about team-balance is not individual skill balancing, which is impossible to implement in a game that consists of 64p in an environment centered around a chain of random events, but players leaving very soon after they experienced a chain of disfortunate random events. This creates downtime, creates imbalance, creates more disfortunate events, creates more people leaving.
  • mf_shro0m
    2348 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DJTN1 wrote: »
    I bet your win / loss ratio is pretty close to 50%. Just like everyone elses.

That’s not the point tho. More even games are just more fun

And that said my W:L ratio’s over 60%