My thoughts on gunplay, player movement, and bfv.

Dank_Jeezus
97 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/cbkmsu/its_time_we_have_a_real_discussion_about_spread/

I hope links are allowed, otherwise I can copy/paste.

I know Reddit’s voting system creates an echo chamber, and wanted to post my thoughts here as well.

Do you guys see what I see in bfv?

Comments

• TFBisquit
    1357 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I know what I see, getting killed by the first bullet from any weapon alot of the time. While I need to burst several times or plain full auto.
    Now obviously those opponents were already firing multiple bullets at me, but for some reason my client doesn't register that.
    As long as that isn't fixed, any debate about ttk and ttd is pointless. Adding deviation or longer time to kill will only make it worse in the current state. Same with the nerfing of the sar's, while it's harder to use now for the average player, it's still insta death when killed by any of them.
    Adding more recoil or less damage doesn't change that 1hk effect.
  • Dank_Jeezus
    TheGM86 wrote: »
    I'm not going to reddit.

I don’t blame you.

One copypsta coming up.

• Dank_Jeezus
    I don’t want to add too much else into it.
    The gunplay feels good, like fast food. But just like a Bigmac, it’s unsustainable.
    It’s abundantly clear to me that COD gun mechanics in a casual military shooter have hurt the game on a large scale.
    I can talk for hours about why. From videos on the subject, to my experience with competitive fps gaming, to game design, and much much more. And I’ll be happy to do it. But first I want to share a personal anecdote.
    My real life friends are a mixed bag of gamers. Some come from a competitive background, some are weekend warriors, and others even are single player rpg fans. Despite this, the battlefield series brought them all together. Letting them all get what they wanted out of a game, letting every player contribute with their own skill set in an enjoyable setting.
    Me and my ex-competitive (halo, COD) friend would handle the infantry and tanking. My more passive friends flew the planes and drove the tanks, my rpg friends would heal and repair.
    Prior titles made these roles all feel (and be) significant to any given win. We shared moments together and generally had a blast, even when losing. To be clear, I’m talking about bf3/4/1.
    I’m sharing this to explain that to me, it’s not the bugs or content that’s left my friends looking for alternatives, its the gameplay.
    I’m sorry to anyone who’s currently enjoying the game (I understand that some people are really liking the changes) but my platoon was pretty big, and in real life, diverse. They all left. The last ones playing were me and two of my more competitive friends. My other friends, the majority of our platoon, were imho driven out of the game.
    I’m only sharing this anecdote first because Ive been reading multiple forums for a year. And this story that I’m sharing, seems to be the silent majority of players who left. For instance, out of our squad, I’m the only one who feels compelled to post anything, everyone else just left with silent disdain and a wariness for the franchise.
    I am of the opinion that this sub ignores people like my friends, and people like me, trying to paint an accurate picture of what went wrong.
    Here’s my last opinion. Widening the skill gap and simplifying the gunplay was THE fatal move for bfv. The game lost its character. It’s apparent when the only way my 2/20ish friends who are left have fun is to post up between objectives and farm infantry kills via mag dumping glint free 3x SARS.
    KPM being down 1 globally is a horrible sign of the games pacing. Another horrible sign is the ease of which players can get 50+ kill games without much effort or risk. I guess what I’m trying to say is that imho dice left most of their fan base in the dust to appease a much smaller group of players who want easy risk free infantry farm kills.
    Maybe now that the game has done so poorly this sub can finally start a discussion about these topics. Instead of only focusing on what they want personally.
    ***I know it’s too late for the game to be changed. I still think this conversation needs to happen though.
  • StupidNameHere
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like the movement. I just hate the bullets. 
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    748 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    To be honest I don't see much difference in TTK between V & 4. In gun play terms I'd have to give the edge too V and the movement speed is the only thing allowing me to play aggressively.

BF1 is better all round, but until they fix the TTK/TTD it's difficult to compare.

I'm surprised your mates all left, the one thing that V excels at for me is the impact a good squad can make on this game. Playing solo usually sucks 7/10 games, but the team play mechanics are superb when you're with your mates.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1418 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well, you were right. But you also just said the obvious, about reddits echo chamber. Not to mention, BF Reddit is not run by EA or DICE, but fanboys,. in a system over there that is not credible, being it's not a credible website. You're much better off posting here as you did.

But yes, you are correct in that the ttk and gunplay...the gameplay, is what killed the game. Not the latest bugs that were just the stake in the coffin.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well, you were right. But you also just said the obvious, about reddits echo chamber. Not to mention, BF Reddit is not run by EA or DICE, but fanboys,. in a system over there that is not credible, being it's not a credible website. You're much better off posting here as you did.

But yes, you are correct in that the ttk and gunplay...the gameplay, is what killed the game. Not the latest bugs that were just the stake in the coffin.
    So many on Reddit insist that the game would thrive if it 'simply' fixed it's major bugs ... fixing those bugs will certainly help to increase the player population, but the gameplay isn't as perfect as Reddit insists. 

The gunplay is flawed. The movement is flawed. The class balance is flawed. The vehicle gameplay is flawed. The UX is flawed. The animations are flawed.

The actual core of the game is controversial ... many of it's innovations, like Attrition, attract scorn as well as admiration. DICE would have to overhaul several mechanics to make this game popular, and the recent changes to Attrition shows that they might be desperate enough to do that.
  • Trokey66
    8176 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    He has pretty much summed up why I and a lot of my friends don't play anymore, BFV is simply not fun for a lot of players.
  • NuttysKunKs
    278 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BFV was an experiment.

Never to be repeated.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1303 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm with you, OP, BFV is not fun and doesn't feel like a Battlefield game. If I'm being honest I didn't really like BF1 all that much either, I feel like they took the casualization of the series too far and it felt like Battlefield with training wheels instead of the arcadey fun, with a big learning curve of previous games.

In theory the BFV gunplay is more skillful i.e. having to learn recoil patterns to "master" weapons, however, because weapons have no spread and generally negligible recoil theoretical TTK is far too often actual TTK, which is far too low for a game like this. Dying in .250ms is too fast when the enemy team has 32 players, and it's compounded by health attrition and the TTD issues this leads to the problems we have now of instant deaths.

Regarding global KPM, the answer was the removal of spotting. If you don't know where you can find enemies you waste time looking for them, which is just a complete waste of time when you have respawn and revive mechanics. Adding "tactical" gameplay to what's supposed to be 64 player chaos removes the chaos part and turns into static battles, which is what we see with the rise of camping. Obviously helped along by the addition of MMGs and short TTKs. No one wants to be out in the open.
  • MachoFantast1c0
    2015 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    xBCxSEALxTEAMx6 said:

So many on Reddit insist that the game would thrive if it 'simply' fixed it's major bugs ... fixing those bugs will certainly help to increase the player population, but the gameplay isn't as perfect as Reddit insists. 

The gunplay is flawed. The movement is flawed. The class balance is flawed. The vehicle gameplay is flawed. The UX is flawed. The animations are flawed.

The actual core of the game is controversial ... many of it's innovations, like Attrition, attract scorn as well as admiration. DICE would have to overhaul several mechanics to make this game popular, and the recent changes to Attrition shows that they might be desperate enough to do that.

Yep, bugs are not the issue at the core. When I left around April, I suffered from no serious bugs and technically the game ran almost flawlessly (this later changed fundamentally). It simply wasn't fun, even with a few mates.