This Week in Battlefield V

German flag

Christo04002283
53 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Ok this battlefield 5 game is set in ww2 and Dice had got some things accurate but the German flag they used is made up and not at all accurate I want to know why they couldn't use a real German ww2 flag without the swastika?

Comments

• LOLGotYerTags
    13045 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited July 14
    @Christo04002283
    No battlefield game has ever used or needed the swastika symbol.

Look at bf1942's German flags,  Look at bf1943's German flags,  Look at BF1's german flags..   they are all the exact same as the german flag in BFV.

You dont need a symbol of politics or a symbol of hate in a videogame,  everybody whom has played the early battlefield games,  knows and understands which side is which in the videogame conflicts that the bf games portray.
  • Zviko0
    1628 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Look at bf1943's German flags

How do I look at this one? There are no German flags in Pacific. :D
  • ProAssassin2003
    3359 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Because the PC Babies would get mad.
  • herodes87
    1271 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF1 has the original Reichskriegsflagge that was used on ships mainly. The German Empire never had Swastikas on the flag.

So the BF1 is right for the time period.
  • LoliDominator
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Bunch of babies the lot of em. if anyone really got a hemroid from just the sight of the symbol, thats what bothers me. its apart of history and if DICE wanted a historically accurate game, they should have put it in there. iw ouldnt argue over the semantics of it
  • sabootheshaman
    1108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Bunch of babies the lot of em. if anyone really got a hemroid from just the sight of the symbol, thats what bothers me. its apart of history and if DICE wanted a historically accurate game, they should have put it in there. iw ouldnt argue over the semantics of it

Argues over the semantics of something in a way that completely lacks empathy. Then says “I wouldn’t argue over the semantics of it”...

Give this man a prize.
  • LoliDominator
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Argues over the semantics of something in a way that completely lacks empathy. Then says “I wouldn’t argue over the semantics of it”...

Give this man a prize. [/quote]
    Yes i contridicted myself ill give you that but please do, give me an award cause i apparently have a pair to look at a symbol and not cry about it.

• sabootheshaman
    1108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Give this man a prize.
    Yes i contridicted myself ill give you that but please do, give me an award cause i apparently have a pair to look at a symbol and not cry about it.

[/quote]

Your trolling is so average.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5459 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It'd look better and more authentic if they just replaced swastica with iron cross like many other games do. And they actually did that in "The last tiger" campaign. Not sure why it wasn't possible in MP...
  • sabootheshaman
    edited July 14
    Just wanted to be clear about this as I think people genuinely don’t understand the reasons for not using it.

The design of the German world war 2 era flag was summarised by AH himself: the red colour stood for the social, white for the movement's national thinking and the swastika for the victory of the Aryan peoples over Jewry.

Anyone who can claims that it should be ok to use in a game is neglecting the memory of the millions that died in that era. It also is still used in hate propaganda.

I don’t think anyone is trying up deny history. People have memories and feelings you know. Take the time to understand something before you try to push your values onto others.

If it is going to upset someone then maybe it should not appear in a game. If it was an adults only game that was marketed as teaching history then yeah cool, but its not.

Have a little empathy people. It’s not that hard.
  • Zviko0
    1628 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Pretty sure EA/DICE don't care about upsetting anyone. They just care about money. And putting a symbol like that in the game would mean less(or 0) sales in certain countries, so less profit for them.
  • StealthAria
    293 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 14
    The swastika wasn't even on the actual flag.  It was a symbol of the **** party, not the country.  The swastika almost never appeared on the frontlines either, it was only used on the uniforms of a few officers, really only showing up in Berlin and at speeches.  Switching the flag over to a swastika would be more historically inaccurate than what it is now.

Telling them to use the swastika for Germany is like telling them to use the Scottish flag for Britain.
  • ElliotLH
    8382 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Did everyone miss that op didn't actually for a swastika?
    I want to know why they couldn't use a real German ww2 flag without the swastika?

I do believe however that the flag used in the game is fairly accurate. Then again I'm not a historian.
  • Zviko0
    The swastika wasn't even on the actual flag.  It was a symbol of the **** party, not the country.  The swastika almost never appeared on the frontlines either, it was only used on the uniforms of a few officers, really only showing up in Berlin and at speeches.  Switching the flag over to a swastika would be more historically inaccurate than what it is now.

Telling them to use the swastika for Germany is like telling them to use the Scottish flag for Britain.

Maybe not on flags but you could see swastika on frontlines. There was swastika on some armoured cars, tanks and it was on every plane as well. See those planes on my avatar? If you look closely, every single one has swastika on it's tail. :D
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5459 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:
    Did everyone miss that op didn't actually for a swastika?
    I want to know why they couldn't use a real German ww2 flag without the swastika?

I do believe however that the flag used in the game is fairly accurate. Then again I'm not a historian.
    It's actually not because Dice basically took imperial german flag and slapped wehrmacht cross on it. It has nothing to do with the 3rd Reich whatsoever.
  • VincentNZ
    2892 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well, the OP did not ask for the Swastika, but the actual flag without it or possibly blurred. Yes, this could be done I guess. However even that could possibly be a legal issue in some countries, as it is the whole flag that is banned not only one symbol. So that is your answer.
    Incidentally this is the answer why they are using the "traditional" german colours as a flag, since there are no conflicting symbols on it, and the flag itself is also not banned anywhere, obviously.
  • Trokey66
    8362 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

The tail of prettymuch every Luftwaffe aircraft says hello!
  • StealthAria
    293 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @VincentNZ ; OP didn't directly ask, but the people complaining about the flag are invariably demanding to see swastikas.  No matter what flag you use, unless it's a swastika they'll continue to demand it changed.
  • Kongo030
    655 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The Reichskriegsflagge during WW2 sported the Swasitka in place of the iron cross during WW1.
    In early war tanks used the red swastika flag as air recognition markings.

Every uniform had the swastika beneath the eagle as well as some other medals and markings.
    DAK had the swastika in their palm symbols so it was a daily sight on the frontlines.

In Germany and Austria swastikas are illegal unless it's in private or educational use.

That's why they were banned in video games in Germany. New ruling allows them in video games with educational purpose as well but battlefield is entertainment (though there's some doubt whether BF V is entertainment ^^).

I'm all for historical authenticity in BF5 but swastikas can be left out and replaced with iron crosses for respect. This game has enough issues.
This discussion has been closed.