German flag

Comments

  • ElliotLH
    8151 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:
    Did everyone miss that op didn't actually for a swastika?



    Christo04002283 wrote: »
    I want to know why they couldn't use a real German ww2 flag without the swastika?



    I do believe however that the flag used in the game is fairly accurate. Then again I'm not a historian.

    It's actually not because Dice basically took imperial german flag and slapped wehrmacht cross on it. It has nothing to do with the 3rd Reich whatsoever.

    Ah cool.
  • sabootheshaman
    1039 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    Did everyone miss that op didn't actually for a swastika?
    I want to know why they couldn't use a real German ww2 flag without the swastika?

    I do believe however that the flag used in the game is fairly accurate. Then again I'm not a historian.

    It’s more that people followed up with”why don’t we put the swastika in it”...

    People throwing around things like “cry babies upset by a symbol “

    It’s disgusting that people think it’s ok to have the symbol there.

    @StealthAria I suggest you do a quick google because your are wrong. The German flag had a a swastika 1935-45.
  • ragnarok013
    3033 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Zviko0 said:
    Look at bf1943's German flags

    How do I look at this one? There are no German flags in Pacific. :D
    Zviko0 he most likely made a Typo, DICE used the same flag for Germany in BF5 as they used in BF1942.
  • VOLBANKER
    958 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 14
    Adding the swastika to German vehicles etc. inside the game would be problematic chat-wise on PC I'm thinking. Chat sometimes gets hostile and toxic enough as it is; imagine if one team was playing in **** uniforms - it would be like an invitation for troublemakers chat-wise.
    .
    EDIT:
    Apparently the word "N-x-azi" gets censored on this forum, which I can understand for sure. But the word is necessary in the sentence above to understand what I mean, I think. So I write it in this paragraph with an x in the middle. Hope this is ok moderators.
  • DockerAl
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The Wolfenstein games have swastikas and no one cared. It appears in any movie or tv show set in WW2 also. It is not disgusting to think it's ok to have a historical symbol in a videogame at all. I'll tell what is disgusting though, and that's censorship or attempting to whitewash and rewrite history.

    Also in the case of Wolfenstein they simply removed the swastika for the versions of the game released in countries where it isn't permitted.

    Today the symbol represents evil more than anything else and so it adds a certain amount of dramatic impact in games and other visual media. Obviously it should be in this game but it really doesn't matter. It's absence simply removes a bit of atmosphere and dramatic punch.
  • Christo04002283
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    Did everyone miss that op didn't actually for a swastika?
    I want to know why they couldn't use a real German ww2 flag without the swastika?

    I do believe however that the flag used in the game is fairly accurate. Then again I'm not a historian.

    It’s more that people followed up with”why don’t we put the swastika in it”...

    People throwing around things like “cry babies upset by a symbol “

    It’s disgusting that people think it’s ok to have the symbol there.

    @StealthAria I suggest you do a quick google because your are wrong. The German flag had a a swastika 1935-45.

    Let's be honest in todays modern games they wont be a swastika everyone is too sensitive
  • Christo04002283
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zviko0 said:


    LOLGotYerTags wrote: »
    Look at bf1943's German flags



    How do I look at this one? There are no German flags in Pacific. :D

    Zviko0 he most likely made a Typo, DICE used the same flag for Germany in BF5 as they used in BF1942.

    I mean yeah they did but that doesn't me its still good.
  • Christo04002283
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DockerAl wrote: »
    The Wolfenstein games have swastikas and no one cared. It appears in any movie or tv show set in WW2 also. It is not disgusting to think it's ok to have a historical symbol in a videogame at all. I'll tell what is disgusting though, and that's censorship or attempting to whitewash and rewrite history.

    Also in the case of Wolfenstein they simply removed the swastika for the versions of the game released in countries where it isn't permitted.

    Today the symbol represents evil more than anything else and so it adds a certain amount of dramatic impact in games and other visual media. Obviously it should be in this game but it really doesn't matter. It's absence simply removes a bit of atmosphere and dramatic punch.

    I mean its a symbol people need to grow some thick skin or not play the game.
  • Christo04002283
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Are you serious? Please... the very reason so many were used as custom emblems is the reason we dont have that feature in V... it's a symbol of hate. They would be silly to have it in game. We know the Axis Forces, and dont NEED that flag/symbol to immerse ourselves. Anyone who does has issues...

    I'm Jewish and Im not offended by a swastika because why should I be it's just a symbol. And if your going to base a game in ww2 you should try to Make it as accurate as possible. Now I'm not saying that there should be a swastika I'm saying that they should another version of the German flag that was actually used. And if your offended by a flag used in a war in that time period than I why did you buy the game or play it?
  • Christo04002283
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @Christo04002283
    No battlefield game has ever used or needed the swastika symbol.

    Look at bf1942's German flags,  Look at bf1943's German flags,  Look at BF1's german flags..   they are all the exact same as the german flag in BFV.

    You dont need a symbol of politics or a symbol of hate in a videogame,  everybody whom has played the early battlefield games,  knows and understands which side is which in the videogame conflicts that the bf games portray.
    @Christo04002283
    No battlefield game has ever used or needed the swastika symbol.

    Look at bf1942's German flags,  Look at bf1943's German flags,  Look at BF1's german flags..   they are all the exact same as the german flag in BFV.

    You dont need a symbol of politics or a symbol of hate in a videogame,  everybody whom has played the early battlefield games,  knows and understands which side is which in the videogame conflicts that the bf games portray.

    Okay I clearly said that they should use a German ww2 flag other than the swastika.
  • Christo04002283
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It'd look better and more authentic if they just replaced swastica with iron cross like many other games do. And they actually did that in "The last tiger" campaign. Not sure why it wasn't possible in MP...

    Yes exactly I don't know why some of these people are saying that using the swastika is bad even though I said they should an alternative German flag like the iron cross.
  • Christo04002283
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just wanted to be clear about this as I think people genuinely don’t understand the reasons for not using it.

    The design of the German world war 2 era flag was summarised by AH himself: the red colour stood for the social, white for the movement's national thinking and the swastika for the victory of the Aryan peoples over Jewry.

    Anyone who can claims that it should be ok to use in a game is neglecting the memory of the millions that died in that era. It also is still used in hate propaganda.

    I don’t think anyone is trying up deny history. People have memories and feelings you know. Take the time to understand something before you try to push your values onto others.

    If it is going to upset someone then maybe it should not appear in a game. If it was an adults only game that was marketed as teaching history then yeah cool, but its not.

    Have a little empathy people. It’s not that hard.

    Well why should we pander to a minority who would get their feelings hurt by seeing a swastika in a video game. And if they don't like it they wont buy it. And the people who would buy this game would be those who like ww2 games and like its history and I highly doubt they would be **** over a flag. Can't you say the same thing for the Japanese imperial flag because they committed horrible war crimes to the Chinese, what if the Japanese imperial flag offends a couple of Chinese do we have to make an alternative Japanese ww2 flag just for them, or what about the Soviet union flag since they too committed war crimes to germans, Japanese, and so on do we need to make an alternate Soviet flag just for those who are offended? Why is it that Germany is that one that gets picked on?
  • V4NILLABE4R
    315 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Are you serious? Please... the very reason so many were used as custom emblems is the reason we dont have that feature in V... it's a symbol of hate. They would be silly to have it in game. We know the Axis Forces, and dont NEED that flag/symbol to immerse ourselves. Anyone who does has issues...

    I'm Jewish and Im not offended by a swastika because why should I be it's just a symbol. And if your going to base a game in ww2 you should try to Make it as accurate as possible. Now I'm not saying that there should be a swastika I'm saying that they should another version of the German flag that was actually used. And if your offended by a flag used in a war in that time period than I why did you buy the game or play it?

    *you're x 2. You're welcome (see what I did there :wink: )

    I didn't say I was offended. I said the game simply has no NEED for a symbol like that to add to any immersion.
  • Christo04002283
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The swastika wasn't even on the actual flag.  It was a symbol of the **** party, not the country.  The swastika almost never appeared on the frontlines either, it was only used on the uniforms of a few officers, really only showing up in Berlin and at speeches.  Switching the flag over to a swastika would be more historically inaccurate than what it is now.

    Telling them to use the swastika for Germany is like telling them to use the Scottish flag for Britain.

    Yeah they should use the iron cross
  • Christo04002283
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Are you serious? Please... the very reason so many were used as custom emblems is the reason we dont have that feature in V... it's a symbol of hate. They would be silly to have it in game. We know the Axis Forces, and dont NEED that flag/symbol to immerse ourselves. Anyone who does has issues...

    I'm Jewish and Im not offended by a swastika because why should I be it's just a symbol. And if your going to base a game in ww2 you should try to Make it as accurate as possible. Now I'm not saying that there should be a swastika I'm saying that they should another version of the German flag that was actually used. And if your offended by a flag used in a war in that time period than I why did you buy the game or play it?

    *you're x 2. You're welcome (see what I did there :wink: )

    I didn't say I was offended. I said the game simply has no NEED for a symbol like that to add to any immersion.

    Ok and I said that's fine but use something else that is accurate.
  • VOLBANKER
    958 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 14
    These sensible people have no problems with playing a game where people shoot each other in the head, drive over enemies with tanks, burn enemies alive with incendiary grenades, headbang someone to death etc. - but this symbol, oh no, that has got to go!

    OP I realize you are not talking about the swastika, so this is somewhat OT compared to your thread, sorry about that. 
  • Trokey66
    8246 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    In the grand scheme of things and considering Battlefield has NEVER been historically accurate........

    Does it really matter?
  • TFBisquit
    1512 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 14
    The German symbol and thinking behind it is pretty devastating tbh.
  • Trokey66
    8246 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    The symbol and thinking behind it is pretty devastating tbh.

    I think that's what a lot of people who call those against it, 'crybabies' etc forget, the ideology behind such symbology is pretty distasteful.

    It is not about forgetting or 're writing history', it is simply dies it bring anything to the game?

    In my opinion, no, it wouldn't.
  • robmcewen
    3003 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ok this battlefield 5 game is set in ww2 and Dice had got some things accurate but the German flag they used is made up and not at all accurate I want to know why they couldn't use a real German ww2 flag without the swastika?
    They could easily of used a altered Reichskriegsflagge (imperial war flag) and I'm pretty sure that other games have done this without facing any legal problems. Just swap out Swastika with the iron cross, the iron cross is a old symbol used by the German armed forces since 1800's and is still used today.
This discussion has been closed.