How long will Dice be supporting BFV?

dA_9_eL_81
1822 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

What do you think?

Will it be supported until:

a) End of 2019

b) Summer 2020

c) End 2020

I expect option b - and my expectations for the support after the release of Chapter 5 and the Pacific is really REALLY low... Dont think we will get much more than some basic gamemode rotations and a few more weapons...

My wildest guess is that the playernumbers are soo low at this point, that further development of the game will be cut as it is Money down the drain for EA & Dice...

Comments

• ElliotLH
    7827 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'd like to think until the next game is released but with the ill tidings surrounding this game I wouldn't bet on that at all.
  • CH1R0N83
    707 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think the game will be on life support until they can get the hype train rolling for BF2020, whenever that may be.
  • bunningsSnagz
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Id say they'll bring out one more major expansion after the pacific theater comes out, probably just add the Russians then leave it at that. But who knows if they can get the profurmence issues nailed down and bring in sweeping balance changes then the game will be in a much better state so it could go for a while if all that happens.
  • SirBobdk
    3933 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Unless it results in more sales and dollars to EA, I don't think much will happen.
    Bringing more content to the existing base does not provide more sales unless they buy skins.
    I find it hard to see why EA should invest more than minimum to keep this game alive unless they calculate a lot of new customers.
    I think resources are being moved to the next product as they cannot accept another failure. They need to get the next one right.
  • barnesalmighty2
    1375 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    Unless it results in more sales and dollars to EA, I don't think much will happen.Bringing more content to the existing base does not provide more sales unless they buy skins.
    I find it hard to see why EA should invest more than minimum to keep this game alive unless they calculate a lot of new customers.I think resources are being moved to the next product as they cannot accept another failure. They need to get the next one right.

If EA don't stick at it and make this game a whole lot better it will be another PR disaster that will damage any future sales of battlefield games though. EA can not afford that to happen again.

Sticking at it and even taking losses would go a long way to improve the company image so long as they keep their "surprise mechanics" far far away.

First step would be bringing firestorm more in line with regular multilayer then making it free to play to lure new customers in. Ea access on ps4 will help too.
  • OskooI_007
    661 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    With the low player count, I'm surprised EA is even coming out with the Pacific theater. I don't expect much support after that.
  • SirBobdk
    3933 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

If EA don't stick at it and make this game a whole lot better it will be another PR disaster that will damage any future sales of battlefield games though. EA can not afford that to happen again.
    Maybe not,  but people forget fast when a new title is released. And this is EA, their choices are not always logical.
  • VOLBANKER
    880 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    SirBobdk said:

Maybe not,  but people forget fast when a new title is released. And this is EA, their choices are not always logical.
    Exactly. Once the hype starts bigtime for the next Battlefield, experience tells me it's hard not to get excited as a BF-fan.
  • MarauderFox
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    End 2020. They will need more time for BF>2020 (likely BC3 or 2143) because they can't easily pivot the existing game to another period (WW1 to 2 was easy and reused a lot). I don't expect any major updates after pacific (no where near the size required for how little content there is)
  • von_Campenstein
    6565 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    SirBobdk said:

It's always logical if you think short term.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1288 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well the hoopla of next gen consoles will be out next Holiday season in 2020.  Also Bad Company 3 will be a launch title then as well.  So BF5 probably wont get many if any patches then after.  So most likely Summer 2020 be last of anything.  Maybe minor hot fixes here and there to keep the rent a server program still going besides increased in max ranking.  Maybe have some TOWs as well summer 2020 if were lucky.  Probably no new maps then though.
  • off3nc3
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    GRAW2ROBZ said:
    Well the hoopla of next gen consoles will be out next Holiday season in 2020.  Also Bad Company 3 will be a launch title then as well.  So BF5 probably wont get many if any patches then after.  So most likely Summer 2020 be last of anything.  Maybe minor hot fixes here and there to keep the rent a server program still going besides increased in max ranking.  Maybe have some TOWs as well summer 2020 if were lucky.  Probably no new maps then though.
    They barely pumped new maps as is , im very skeptical of what's to come in terms of new maps being developed or released. That is the biggest thing this game lacks.
  • ragnarok013
    2925 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    DICE stated BF5 is being supported for the normal 2 year lifespan.
  • VincentNZ
    2592 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well, we will get the Pacific, for sure, and the game is, as stated, on a 2-year-dev/support cycle, similar to the previous games. What the content will be like, though, who knows? Generally we can expect that content beyond is already in pre-production or even production. Some stuff might be added, removed or changed, but the general content is already laid out.
  • G-Gnu
    1386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 15
    Well is that not kind of weird for a "Live Service" game ???  Or is it just a hypocorism ?
    Especially when this has been worse then a Beta state of the game nearly ONE effing year now. 
  • ChickenTheTank
    170 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think there are two things to consider. DICE's track record with long term support for one. Second there's the fact that a few games out there (RB6S for one) have shown that long term support, regardless of current state, is a feasible busines model.

I think we'll see support for BF5 for 2 more years of regular content updates, and then 2 years of balance updates with just a few content updates.
  • Broliszibaila
    277 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    And when they are going to start to ,,support'' this game? Because for now hardly I could call all this stuff as ,,support''
  • Ichstarker
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    i expect to 2021. If tou read thia DICE I WONT BUY ANOTHER EA PRODUCT because you failled me with this one. Hope everyone do the same so EA can learn not to pushwrong business politics in game terrain.
  • doctorrocktor
    1792 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They did say in reddit they would still be supporting this game passed 2020,we shall see.