A few positive notes about bfv vs bf1

tamatem13
154 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
We tend to forget (or mentally brush aside) what actually has been an improvement in bfv compared to bf1 (for obvious reasons no need to reiterate).

I tried recently to go back to bf1 and play a few rounds, and here are some of the things I noticed (or knew about since day one...yet, forgot about under the wave of bfv negativity and bugs)...

1- way less granade spam (remember those?);
2- no gun fire deviation (so gun play feels tighter and more controllable or predictable);
3- sniper rifles' sweet spots (although now we have the boys AT gun in bfv but it is only one after all...not the norm);
4- planes are by far much less of a pain in the neck (in bf1, if the opposite team had a good pilot, ur team is pretty much screwed for the rest of the round (or rounds of playing Ops).
5- much better meta forcing teams to stick together and play as a unit (in bf1 solo players were way more common and wondered off. In bfv u better stick to ur team or else u won't last long).
6- flare guns were used a bit too much (sort of spammed) to spot other team (having said that, the one in bfv needs a buff imo too! It fades out too quick, and radius needs expanding a bit).

Just trying to be positive :)

Comments

• VincentNZ
    2592 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well I too think that BFV is better than it's predecessor, which I hated for everything. BF1 was bad, BFV is okay, from a gameplay POV. Good that you are having fun. I do have counterpoints for you on some things.
    1. Explosive spam was indeed a thing and is solely to be blamed on poor design of, virtually everything, if you insist on having 64p on a server on maps and modes that often offer certain chokepoints. Also a non-existant animation where you shoot them out of your chest and used as an DPS burst. In BF4 I always played on 32 player servers and never experienced any kind of spam. What we got in BFV now is attrition to counter that and a "press E to partake"-design philosophy, which creates situations that are at least as frustrating.
    2. BF1 included overly complex and unintuitive gun mechanics, where players for the first time saw spread actually, which has been in the game for years. So the overexaggerated spread, followed an apparent removal and replaced with a model that causes the weapon balance we have now. Again BF3 and 4 had a pretty slick system that was both intuitive yet deep and allowed for every gun being relevant at all relevant engagements, while having a certain niche at the same time.
    3. Yeah the sweetspot was an awful idea, especially considering how map design has declined for the franchise, which is again also partially due to enforcing 64p.
    4. Yep, planes were stupid and they still are, simply because there is no interaction between ground and air. There is however interaction the other way around and DICE refuses to implement the easiest fix, which would be actual cover from above. Again an issue of poor map design on that department, which we see since the Endgame DLC of BF3.
    5. I do not see that really, with the low TTK, lonewolfing is quite viable, while the actual teamplay interactions have been reduced, while the need for them increased with attrition. Spotting was removed, which was a basic action, gadget attrition is a problem, but since many supports do not run the crate and they do not appear on the minimap people rarely seek out the supports. Reviving is more frequent and more fun I daresay, most likely because of the squad revive and the nice synergy with the smoke grenades.
    6. I'd take the T-UGS over the flare at any day. Again attrition is the biggest problem here. I think though the flare is fine in BFV in terms of functionality, although I daresay if there ever will be cover from above in this game, the flare would need an update or a T-UGs type gadget should be introduced.
  • SilkWildey
    1025 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This game doesn't compete with BF1. It's of the hardline level I always thought the gas and the strong grenades added quite dramatically to the immersion (making it feel like a real war) which BFV fails to do, badly.

Actually come to think of it, I can't even remember being killed in BFV by a grenade....plenty of times by dynamite and launchers but not so much grenades.
  • VOLBANKER
    880 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    tamatem13 said:
    We tend to forget (or mentally brush aside) what actually has been an improvement in bfv compared to bf1 (for obvious reasons no need to reiterate).

I tried recently to go back to bf1 and play a few rounds, and here are some of the things I noticed (or knew about since day one...yet, forgot about under the wave of bfv negativity and bugs)...

2- no gun fire deviation (so gun play feels tighter and more controllable or predictable);
    3- sniper rifles' sweet spots (although now we have the boys AT gun in bfv but it is only one after all...not the norm);
    4- planes are by far much less of a pain in the neck (in bf1, if the opposite team had a good pilot, ur team is pretty much screwed for the rest of the round (or rounds of playing Ops).
    5- much better meta forcing teams to stick together and play as a unit (in bf1 solo players were way more common and wondered off. In bfv u better stick to ur team or else u won't last long).
    6- flare guns were used a bit too much (sort of spammed) to spot other team (having said that, the one in bfv needs a buff imo too! It fades out too quick, and radius needs expanding a bit).

Dude please don't write something positive about BFV, we just can't have that on these forums :D
  • tamatem13
    154 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex wrote: »
    1.  to me the complaining about the amount of nade spam in BF1  was an overreaction.   I had a workaround.  I spread out.  I tried not to get caught up in the Zerg.  I also didn't play Operations.    It just wasn't as a big a deal for me as others so to eliminate it did little to nothing for me.  

2.   same thing here.   so-called "improved" gunplay in BFV doesn't do anything for me.   I mean I didn't really feel like there was a need to make sure the guys that had a 6 k/D in BF1 could get an 8 k/d in BFV.  ;)

3.    I  thought the sweetspot was too cheap and arbitrary.   Glad to see it gone.  However they replaced it with more campy play overall so it's hard to call that a win or a step forward.

4.  if anything BFV ruined the fun of flying and playing a combined arms game.  YOu don't even realize planes are there a lot of the time.  Planes were fine in BF1.  I learned to fly again and flew 25% of the time.  I had no problem dealing with planes from the air or ground.  You just were never killed that often by planes.  Once in awhile you would go against uber pilots -often 2 on a team- and then get destroyed but that was a balance issue.  No different than being on an infantry map where one side is all lvl 150s and you side has no one above 100.  But again I didn't play Operations where I'm sure things like planes and nade spam were worse than in Conquest. But that's the nature of playing the same game on a fraction of the map at a time with the same number of players and vehicles. 

5.  don't agree here.  I don't think the "meta" is improved at all. I think the game overall is actually less fun than BF1 to boot.  I don't think teams stick together any more.  Players just hide more.  Or players are just forced to sit behind cover for long periods of time so if someone needs healing or ammo you have more time to do it because you are just sitting there pinned down.  So if you feel any more team effort maybe it's because of that.    

6.  i did get sick of the flare gun mechanic in BF1 after awhile.  With all the snipers it got to the point where it felt like the game might as well automatically pop a flare anytime there are 10 players in and around a flag zone.  But  of course BFV basically said we'll just not have flares at all and not even spotting.  They went too much the total other direction.  

I understand your points... And I do agree on the fact bf1 was more fun. That is for sure.
  • tamatem13
    I shall retort,

1. I have never understood the whining that goes on about the so called grenade spam. In 400 hrs of gameplay I have only seen it be a small annoyance on the Fort map (I forget the name). Compared with the puffball grenades in BFV I will take grenade spam every day all day.  The grenade spam generally keeps people from bunching up too much which is a good thing. It also slows down the rushing in the doors/areas in groups. 

2. I have never had an issue with the bullet deviation. I can only guess that  it is a problem for people that can't stay on target. It also keeps the TTK reasonable unlike the one frame deaths of BFV.

3. While the sweet spots for snipers could be annoying , this just forced players to find the right places for the gun they were using which was/is good(I still play BF1) because the sniper locations were easy to learn and also easy to avoid the main  sight lines that snipers use.  Again  not a  big of an issue as is claimed on this forum.

4. This one I actually agree with, but planes are just annoying in general  because  there is no counter  for random kills  by fighters. It is my opinion on all BF games that fighters should only be able to take down bombers, Bombers could only  take out vehicles . But it is what it is.

5. The current meta ATTEMPTED to force players to play more as a team/squad. But it has been an EPIC failure. It was a complete pipe dream for DICE to think they could force players to play as a group. It  has done nothing but allowed clans and parties to utterly dominate matches.  I could go into it further but I won't. Its been a disaster. 

6. Flare guns are perfectly fine in BF1. The only people that complain are people that like to  hide /camp whatever you want to call it. Finding that one player holding the objective is trivial in BF1 compared to BFV. It can take as many a 8 to 10 players to find a single person  on some objectives on some maps, which is utterly ridiculous. Its mess like that that cause unending frustration and why the game continues to lose players. NO IT IS NOT THE MAIN REASON but it is one thing  on the list  that was not needed nor asked for.

If you like BFV good for you, But the  ongoing loss of players shows it is not  a well designed game.

Lastly, BF1 continues to outsell BFV. BF1 remains in the top 10 in sales for PS4 and XB1. BFV is not in the top 10 at all, nuff said.   

Nah, don't get me wring... bf1 is way better than bfv in my opinion. I am just trying to look for the positives in bfv (which I stated).
  • tamatem13
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    Well I too think that BFV is better than it's predecessor, which I hated for everything. BF1 was bad, BFV is okay, from a gameplay POV. Good that you are having fun. I do have counterpoints for you on some things.
    1. Explosive spam was indeed a thing and is solely to be blamed on poor design of, virtually everything, if you insist on having 64p on a server on maps and modes that often offer certain chokepoints. Also a non-existant animation where you shoot them out of your chest and used as an DPS burst. In BF4 I always played on 32 player servers and never experienced any kind of spam. What we got in BFV now is attrition to counter that and a "press E to partake"-design philosophy, which creates situations that are at least as frustrating.2. BF1 included overly complex and unintuitive gun mechanics, where players for the first time saw spread actually, which has been in the game for years. So the overexaggerated spread, followed an apparent removal and replaced with a model that causes the weapon balance we have now. Again BF3 and 4 had a pretty slick system that was both intuitive yet deep and allowed for every gun being relevant at all relevant engagements, while having a certain niche at the same time.3. Yeah the sweetspot was an awful idea, especially considering how map design has declined for the franchise, which is again also partially due to enforcing 64p.4. Yep, planes were stupid and they still are, simply because there is no interaction between ground and air. There is however interaction the other way around and DICE refuses to implement the easiest fix, which would be actual cover from above. Again an issue of poor map design on that department, which we see since the Endgame DLC of BF3.5. I do not see that really, with the low TTK, lonewolfing is quite viable, while the actual teamplay interactions have been reduced, while the need for them increased with attrition. Spotting was removed, which was a basic action, gadget attrition is a problem, but since many supports do not run the crate and they do not appear on the minimap people rarely seek out the supports. Reviving is more frequent and more fun I daresay, most likely because of the squad revive and the nice synergy with the smoke grenades.6. I'd take the T-UGS over the flare at any day. Again attrition is the biggest problem here. I think though the flare is fine in BFV in terms of functionality, although I daresay if there ever will be cover from above in this game, the flare would need an update or a T-UGs type gadget should be introduced.

I do have fun with bfv as u mentioned. But compared to bf1... For me, bf1 was better. Yet, I am trying to be positive in my post.
    Thx for sharing ur opinion
  • Masqerader
    622 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    No gas grenades, mask

it already was slightly better
  • tamatem13
    tamatem13 said:

1. Was never as much of a problem as some cried about, unless you persisted in assaulting meatgrinder locations in certain maps.
    2. The lack of bullet deviation doesn't improve gunplay.
    3. I didn't particularly like scout sweetspots, but it was hardly a big issue and at least encouraged them to snipe from long range less.
    4. Nope. Planes in BF1 are much more counterable from the ground except in a tiny minority of operations sectors and even then LMGs work fine. Planes in BF5 are horrible to fly meaning when you do get a flightsim nerd that can stand to do well in them there's rarely anyone to counter them in the air and from the ground they are hard to kill. Like BF4 jets.
    5. Forcing coop doesn't work, it just leaves you frustrated when teammates don't coop because you cannot compensate.
    6. Flares in BF5 are awful and in BF1 were hardly a problem.

Trying to be positive is fine, but doing it by knocking a better game isn't the best way.  There are way too many negatives with BF5 to bother playing it over BF1.

No one is mentally brushing aside improvements.  I guess many things are subjective, but even the Game Changers and YouTubers are criticising BF5 heavily in a way BF1 hardly ever got.

No, not at all. I am not trying to knock bf1 down. On the contrary, I like bf1 more than bfv. Yet, the points I mention r the positives imo. If u check my previous posts, I made my opinions clear about many issues in bfv.
    Subjective? Maybe... But, that can be said about any opinion since it is about what 2 individuals like about a game..
  • tamatem13
    SilkWildey wrote: »
    This game doesn't compete with BF1. It's of the hardline level I always thought the gas and the strong grenades added quite dramatically to the immersion (making it feel like a real war) which BFV fails to do, badly.

Actually come to think of it, I can't even remember being killed in BFV by a grenade....plenty of times by dynamite and launchers but not so much grenades.

Yeah...the ambiance in bf1 was better. I agree
  • tamatem13
    VOLBANKER wrote: »
    tamatem13 said:

Dude please don't write something positive about BFV, we just can't have that on these forums :D
    Lol :D
  • DogRoyal
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

You forgot how the removal of spotting improved the game immensly.

Grenade / expolosive spam was a big thing in that game and was indeed extremely annoying.

I dont agree with your points about bullet devation and sweet spot (the latter I dont think had much impact - cant say about the first)

I hated the planes in BF1 - direct result of all the spotting: just had to shoot/bomb the doritos. Much better balance in BFV but AA should be a little more effective - against a decent pilot you dont stand a chance in the AA.

Totally agree with spotting flare in that regards also. It was just too powerful and of course spammed all the time and then spammed some more. Big problem unless you love the spotting mechanic of course... - I dont and thats why I always rolled with silencer on every weapon in BF4 (was a shame really as I like the sound of the guns in BF). Both BF4 and BF1 players would stare more at the minimap than at the actual battle. Just run n gun all the way without surprises. In BFV you actually have to look where you are going and pay attention to your surroundings.

And ability to carry a mountain of ammo while automatic selfhealing of course is a solo players wet dream. It is only that some players who has to struggle a bit more for their precious killstreaks as it is now and in my oppinion it has made the game more interesting that you have to play a bit more strategic. I rarely run out of ammo or health (if you play the objective then stations are everywhere or I just pick up ammo - or a gun, from the players I kill).

• ViolationofDerp
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I still think the Attrition System is the best feature of BF5, albeit the terrible state of the game this is the single feature that prevents me from going back to older BF titles.
  • NLBartmaN
    3052 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    All 6 things you mentioned are some of the reasons why BF V is one big predictable frustrating experience ...
  • VOLBANKER
    880 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I remember how DICE pointed out the lack of grenade spam as a big positive new thing about BFV compared to BF1.

Then they went and added the more or less constant sector artillery spam...
  • FoxFerocity
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    tamatem13 said:

As fast as you say anything positive about this game, you get tons of angry gamers that just doesn't let you have your opinion, cause it isn't part of the majority, like it is wrong to be positive about this game! They take it way too serious! I did put up a positive post here about this game and all i wanted was to share my support for this game and see if there was others thinking the same, about how i think that it is actually a good game that i have a lot of fun hours in even tho it has its issues, but all that i got back was just bunch of negativity!

I am really glad to see you post about this, and i 100% agree with you! I haven't had this much fun in a Battlefield game since BF4 or even further back Battlefield Vietnam! So for me BFV was the fresh step in the right direction, even if it backfired for them with the issues and the community! Entertainment no matter if it is games, music or movies!  Just cause the majority hate that specific band or music genre, doesn't make it a bad music genre or a bad band, cause how can it possibly be bad if there is people still enjoying it!

I can understand people being angry about the issues in BFV, but what i can't understand is that it seems like people wanting BFV to be exactly like the previous BFs, so they ruin it for others who happen to actually enjoy this title and its changes, but if the game doesn't change for them like they want, then there will be herd of angry, negative people that isn't giving constructive criticism but just spreading negativity for the sake of it! I am really tired of the negativity, but i will keep playing as i enjoy this game and i have since start and ill be meeting new friends, sharing great moments in BFV with those who love it as much as i do!

Anyone with a friendly attitude, that wants to play and share the same passion for this game, is very welcome to add me and join me in the Battles!