Weekly Debrief

Terrible micro stuttering in Battlefield 5.

Comments

• parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BuldozerX86 said:

LOLGotYerTags said:

BuldozerX86 said:
    The stuttering is caused by my CPU spiking up to 100% at times.

Check windows update,  There is a bug in windows 10 build 1903 that causes high CPU usage ( higher than there should be )

A temporary fix is to install the insider build of windows 10,  but there also has been a windows update which has fixed issues for BF3 users.

The update in question is : KB4505903

So if you havent tried that,  install it and report back your findings.

Nope, I tried installing slow ring and fast ring. People have been complaining about this for very, very long. It cant be Windows.
    That it first appeared on PC but then spread to consoles as well says Windows is either not the culprit or there are multiple causes.  The frame drops are also a lovely feature, I get more "one frame deaths" now than before.  That DICE says they still don't have more than a partial idea of what is happening and there is still no fix is not a hopeful sign, they seem to be in over their heads.  I rebuilt my PC to play BFV, and it runs worse than late BF4.  Anyone here planning to pre-order BF6?  LOL.

Also just built a new rig which performs great in everything except BF V! There is something seriously wrong in the game engine.
    My new build runs anything else without breaking a sweat, the CPU temperature doesn't even twitch.  BFV--suddenly I'm heating the whole house.  This game is poorly optimized, it's packed with bugs, the notorious poor documentation of Frostbite has the current devs handcuffed--we have no reason to think this is going to get any better.  EA was willing to fund a massive repair project for BF4, it doesn't seem anything like that will happen in BFV.  Who would have believed the once mighty Battlefield franchise would come to this?
  • TFBisquit
    1643 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Not that I disagree, but my new build runs bfv smooth. Temps are fine also.
    No stutters besides the occasional hickup.
    But I reverted to windows 1809 because on my old rig 1903 gave constant stutter.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13077 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    TFBisquit said:
    But I reverted to windows 1809 because on my old rig 1903 gave constant stutter.
    1903 does give stutters yep,  But I've been saying that all along lol
  • FierceBrosnan007
    1009 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    Not that I disagree, but my new build runs bfv smooth. Temps are fine also.
    No stutters besides the occasional hickup.

Had stutters on 1809 too on the last i7 rig. Currently on 1903 latest build on the new rig (3800X). As above, it is only BF V that behaves inconsistently. Other games work great. Tests and benchmarks all good. Temps good.

BF V is a stuttery, inconsistent mess across 3 different systems. What is wrong with this game?
  • KrullBorg
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The stuttering is caused by my CPU spiking up to 100% at times.
    Check windows update,  There is a bug in windows 10 build 1903 that causes high CPU usage ( higher than there should be )

A temporary fix is to install the insider build of windows 10,  but there also has been a windows update which has fixed issues for BF3 users.

The update in question is : KB4505903

So if you havent tried that,  install it and report back your findings.

installed... same problems
  • MachoFantast1c0
    2034 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit said:

It's not that, my stutters started with the patch before Fortress iirc, and I only just now upgraded to 1903. For me they broke DX12, switched to DX11 and they went away.
  • KrullBorg
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit said:

It's not that, my stutters started with the patch before Fortress iirc, and I only just now upgraded to 1903. For me they broke DX12, switched to DX11 and they went away.
    same problems with dx11 and dx12 :(
  • KrullBorg
    CSO7777 said:
    CSO7777 said:
    The assignment stuttering will hopefully be fixed in the next patch from Dice.

General stuttering (in BFV and other games as well), can be a Windows 10 'standby-memory-issue' (that only affects some users apparantly):

Try downloading ISLC (from the maker of DDU): https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1256&sid=165cad79f38cdc0482125671509c9c46

Start the program, click 'Start' and leave the program running while playing.

If you stuttering is minimized, but not totally gone, try adjusting the values for min/max.

You can start the program automatically when Windows boots and it will not hurt your system in any way.

If doesn't work, just delete the program.
    The stuttering is caused by my CPU spiking up to 100%. It doesnt matter if the framerate is locked or not. It still does it, and it completely ignores low settings as well.
    If you haven't tried ISLC then you really should. Standby-memory issues gives cpu-spikes and framedrops, caused by the memory manager in Windows. It's safe to try and takes 1 minute to download and install.

tried... same problems...
  • BeastofBourbon84
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Like I said don't waste your time guys.
    I'd love to have a fix for this but since every other game runs fine I refuse to mess up my system with beta w10 versions just to have the same problems in bf v as before.

Nothing works - it's the game :(
  • KrullBorg
    Like I said don't waste your time guys.
    I'd love to have a fix for this but since every other game runs fine I refuse to mess up my system with beta w10 versions just to have the same problems in bf v as before.

Nothing works - it's the game :(
    it can help developers to understand the problem

• BeastofBourbon84
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well thanks for trying the suggested fixes.
    Saved me the trouble.

I'm just hella salty cause I (like a lot of other people) got a very capable pc yet the game is a stuttering mess since April.
    It ran perfectly until then.

If they don't know what was changed in the code back then and reverse engineer the cause then noone can.
  • KrullBorg
    Well thanks for trying the suggested fixes.
    Saved me the trouble.

I'm just hella salty cause I (like a lot of other people) got a very capable pc yet the game is a stuttering mess since April.
    It ran perfectly until then.

If they don't know what was changed in the code back then and reverse engineer the cause then noone can.

i completely agree with you; and i'm very pissed that the game doesn't work (maybe more than other players considering that is the only game that i play); but i'm also a developer and i know very well that problems as these can be happen (especially under windows (don't start a flame please)) and are very hard to debug due to the infinite variables in play... we must have patience :( (PS: if you believe in some god you can try to talk to him)

• KrullBorg
    edited August 4
    i don't know what's happened... but today it seems to work very well... fingers crossed
  • GrizzGolf
    989 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    My PC has been having that a lot lately 
  • KrullBorg
    and today it's again a disaster... a big mistery
  • Shadders_X
    483 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    KrullBorg said:

• KrullBorg
    KrullBorg said:

i found big part of the problem... i forgot that for testing i setted dx12 and ffr off... wrong choices... just with ffr on it has improved a lot... not so many difference using dx11 instead of dx12... it's not like past days but it's playable
  • lll_HOSS_lll
    53 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 8
    Well, I run BFV on a 9+ year old 1st generation i7 with 12 GB or ram, Windows 7 and a GeForce 1060 and honestly the game runs great ha ha! I’m glad I’ve saved a ton of money by not upgrading, aside from the video card!
  • ragnarok013
    3233 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Well, I run BFV on a 9+ year old 1st generation i7 with 12 GB or ram, Windows 7 and a GeForce 1060 and honestly the game runs great ha ha! I’m glad I’ve saved a ton of money by not upgrading, aside from the video card!

said:

lll_HOSS_lll are you by any chance running Win7? I don't have many issues on Win10 but my older Win7 rig runs really well.
  • lll_HOSS_lll
    53 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yep, 7.