Seat switching, a thing I really dislike

Jezzzeh
757 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited August 2019
You're lined up on a bomber that's been harassing your objectives and open fire, moment later the plane drifts and you come under heavy fire from the rear seat of the bomber. Breaking off is usually my reaction. Bomber continues on his way with pilot back in seat

Does this sound familiar and annoy you also?

I dont mind bombers having multiple positions, they are CLEARLY designed to be flown with several people onboard.

What I cant stand is that the pilot that flies them alone can instantly switch into the rear gunner seat and the planes dumps its speed so fast it's easy to overfly it.

There should be an animation delay introduced for seat switching like there is for other vehicles like the Pakwagan.

Comments

• disposalist
    8927 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The problem is they switch so *easily*.  In BF1 it took several seconds to seat-switch.  When you saw the bomber level out, you knew to get under it.  When it started steering again you had a few seconds of firing before they could switch again.

In BF5, unless it's changed, you can switch seats in less than a second.  Getting out takes for ever (way too long for passengers), but switching is near instant.
  • Jezzzeh
    757 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Exactly. Yet they implemented the animation delay in other vehicles.

The things were designed to be flown with multiple crew and should rightly be very powerful when flown as such. Instant seat switching just belittles this.
  • disposalist
    8927 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited August 2019
    Yet another half-done or badly-done or buggy or badly designed thing in BF5.  (That worked well in previous BFs).  Try counting them all...
  • Zviko0
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think it's good because you need to be in a squad with friends you can talk to or it just doesn't work. Have you guys ever tried firing the back gun while a random person was flying? It's impossible. Even if he knows that it's better to stand still so that rear gunner can do his job, he still can't see if it's a good angle for him. Sometimes rear wing is in the way, sometimes a fighter comes from the blind angle etc. Unless you are doing all by yourself or have a teammate on discord or something, it's very hard to fight against a fighter.
  • barnesalmighty2
    1619 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Zviko0 wrote: »
    I think it's good because you need to be in a squad with friends you can talk to or it just doesn't work. Have you guys ever tried firing the back gun while a random person was flying? It's impossible. Even if he knows that it's better to stand still so that rear gunner can do his job, he still can't see if it's a good angle for him. Sometimes rear wing is in the way, sometimes a fighter comes from the blind angle etc. Unless you are doing all by yourself or have a teammate on discord or something, it's very hard to fight against a fighter.

Proximity chat would fix issues like these and quite a few others too.
  • ElliotLH
    9368 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2019
    This rarely bothers me as when I'm shooting a bomber as a fighter I'm usually not right up behind them or at an angle which makes it hard to hit me (also very easy to change pitch this way). On the other hand I'm always amazed at how many pilots will get as close to the rear of my bomber as possible and let me shred them with the rear guns.
  • HugoPlayNow
    168 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What annoys me is if I'm in a 4 seat vehicle...and I want to jump from the driver's seat to the machine gun...then back to the driver's seat.  But no...I have to play musical chairs and hop on every other seat in the vehicle before getting back to the driver's seat.

Am I missing a quick switch button that would hop me back into the seat I just got out from???
  • ElliotLH
    9368 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What annoys me is if I'm in a 4 seat vehicle...and I want to jump from the driver's seat to the machine gun...then back to the driver's seat.  But no...I have to play musical chairs and hop on every other seat in the vehicle before getting back to the driver's seat.

Am I missing a quick switch button that would hop me back into the seat I just got out from???
    Nah you need to keep playing musical chairs unfortunately. 
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You simply should not be able to. Period. If a vehicle is supposed to be squad-oriented then it should be only 100% effective, when it is manned by more than one person. This is mostly an issue planes and choppers of course, that are very powerful and/or rely on the second seat for defense situations.
  • trip1ex
    5215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2019

sorry but an animation delay will not keep you from overshooting the plane.  

because it  will have no effect on the rate the bomber slows down. 

No offense OP, but  overshooting a plane you are following is pure pilot error.  

The good news is with a bit of experience you start to learn to keep your distance from a bomber.  You learn to be prepared for the slowdown.    Even better, with even more experience, you learn to attack from more beneficial angles than straight behind a bomber.   
  • Jezzzeh
    trip1ex wrote: »

The good news is with a bit of experience you start to learn to keep your distance from a bomber.  You learn to be prepared for the slowdown.    Even better, with even more experience, you learn to attack from more beneficial angles than straight behind a bomber.   

Yep most likely as you say :) . I'm no pr0 fighter pilot at all. I dabble with them as they are a part of the game I'd like to get better at.

That said the main issue for me is the instant switch by the pilot into a gun seat laying down heavy stable fire very quickly.

• bmillsy513
    198 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Personally for the big bombers I would like to have an option after I selected it to wait until a rear gunner or (or gunners they add more bombers later) are aboard, then it takes off. Then to add to that is that no one can jump out unless it gets below 50% health or something, that way someone just isn't using it as a way to jump out 10 seconds later.
  • trip1ex
    5215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jezzzeh said:
    trip1ex wrote: »

Yep most likely as you say :) . I'm no pr0 fighter pilot at all. I dabble with them as they are a part of the game I'd like to get better at.

That said the main issue for me is the instant switch by the pilot into a gun seat laying down heavy stable fire very quickly.

Your main issue   is that you are at the dabble with being a pilot  stage.   ;)

Treat the bomber like it has a full-time rear gunner is the answer to your problem. 

• barnesalmighty2
    1619 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    How I deal with seat switching.

• The-Monz
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I'm with you on this 100%, it infuriates me trying to switch back to the driving seat when under fire.
  • ragnarok013
    3782 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    With all of the animations in BF5 I am surprised that there aren't any animations to switch to the back seat.
  • SirSpectacle
    815 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    With all of the animations in BF5 I am surprised that there aren't any animations to switch to the back seat.

I'm pretty sure the only reason there isn't is that it would be too expensive to model the interior of every plane.
  • jroggs
    1218 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Didn't bombers have aircraft-interior seat-switching animations during the beta? I swear that was a thing. I think it was removed because it was pretty unpopular and probably would have added a lot of extra workload for future aircraft implementation.

z2eczpqwig86 said:

PC players with M&K can select which seat they move to. With console controllers that's not really an option, though there is a reasonable workaround for land vehicles. You can custom-map a button to change to Seat 1 (driver's seat) for vehicles. For some inexplicable reason, it is not possible to do that with planes. Seriously, there are options to map buttons for Seats 2-8, but not Seat 1. Luckily only the Ju-88s have more than two seats to my knowledge.

One feature I've always wanted since the implementation of Tanker/ Pilot classes is the ability for T/Ps to reclaim their controls from non-T/P teammates. It's not such a big problem in BFV, but using a bomber in BF1 was absolutely maddening whenever you had to hop on the tailgun for a second and someone (always terrible and stupid) would spawn into the cockpit and refuse to vacate the seat, even when the plane had 20 health and he had no way of repairing it. It would also be nice to be able to hop out of your tank to do some repairs without worrying about a nearby teammate taking the tank for himself and leaving you there with a level 0 Sten and a frown.
  • NLBartmaN
    4484 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If you are not good enough to shoot down a bomber within 2 seconds with a spitfire or german fighter the problem is you, not the seat switching ...

The fighters are insane OP, seat switching is the only thing a bomber pilot can do with a fighter on its tail and bad fighter pilots will die ...
  • MAJWolfcookies
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    If you are not good enough to shoot down a bomber within 2 seconds with a spitfire or german fighter the problem is you, not the seat switching ...

The fighters are insane OP, seat switching is the only thing a bomber pilot can do with a fighter on its tail and bad fighter pilots will die ...

This. Cry me a river. If you can't handle a bomber with your OP fighter, don't use up a perfectly good plane. Let someone else fly. JFC