left handed gun

TennBu
2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
im a lefthander and i cant find an option to switch from right to left handed ingame 

Comments

• LinearSky23
    18 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2019
    I haven’t seen an FPS so far with that option. I’m a lefty as well, mouse in my left hand/controller buttons entirely mirrored and honestly having the gun in the characters right hand is not even a problem. We have a lot bigger problems.
  • ElliotLH
    9538 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm left handed too but just play right handed with my controller. Then again I've never struggled with using right handed things so that might be why it doesn't affect me. Could you maybe map the buttons, or have I mis-read your post and you want to make your avatar a lefty?
  • LinearSky23
    edited August 2019
    I think he would like to see the weapon on the left side, which I completely understand. I thought that with time Devs would add a feature like that, but that’s just a dream since I started back in the very early 2000s.
    As for being a lefty, I’m so insanely clumsy with my right hand. It was the best decision to switch everything up entirely. My accuracy skyrocketed once I got used to it. I’d absolutely recommend it, but it takes at least a month of dedication and frustration.
  • TyroneLoyd_TV
    1770 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I wish. Very few do it unfortunately
  • ElliotLH
    9538 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think he would like to see the weapon on the left side, which I completely understand. I thought that with time Devs would add a feature like that, but that’s just a dream since I started back in the very early 2000s.
    As for being a lefty, I’m so insanely clumsy with my right hand. It was the best decision to switch everything up entirely. My accuracy skyrocketed once I got used to it. I’d absolutely recommend it, but it takes at least a month of dedication and frustration.
    Yeah it would make sense in that context. I guess that realism might possibly be a consideration as some guns you simply cannot use left handed (such as the SA80 which the British military use) but I'm no gun historian so could be totally wrong there and it could be something more simple, such as resources. 

I can do most things with my right hand without any trouble, including limited and messy writing 😆, so switching things around would do me more harm than good as it'd be undoing 34 years of practice lol. I could see it being a big help to others though so good advice for sure.
  • LinearSky23
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    LinearSky23 said:

Yeah it would make sense in that context. I guess that realism might possibly be a consideration as some guns you simply cannot use left handed (such as the SA80 which the British military use) but I'm no gun historian so could be totally wrong there and it could be something more simple, such as resources. 

I can do most things with my right hand without any trouble, including limited and messy writing 😆, so switching things around would do me more harm than good as it'd be undoing 34 years of practice lol. I could see it being a big help to others though so good advice for sure.

Yes, that’s a fact. My whole family is into hunting so I had my share. It’s just ridiculous to try to rechamber a bullet into a bolt action rifle when you hold the entire weapon in your opposite hand. Nowadays you can buy a left handed weapon, but I highly doubt that they had left handed variants for just regular soldiers back in WW2. Plus it would create more problems for the devs. We had broken reload animations for one variant, imagine two... We can absolutely live without that option. If they would just flip the screen, some people would burst out like a madman how they ruined realism again.
  • ElliotLH
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    LinearSky23 said:

Yes, that’s a fact. My whole family is into hunting so I had my share. It’s just ridiculous to try to rechamber a bullet into a bolt action rifle when you hold the entire weapon in your opposite hand. Nowadays you can buy a left handed weapon, but I highly doubt that they had left handed variants for just regular soldiers back in WW2. Plus it would create more problems for the devs. We had broken reload animations for one variant, imagine two... We can absolutely live without that option. If they would just flip the screen, some people would burst out like a madman how they ruined realism again.

Haha yeah I can see the comments already haha.

I guess that playing Wolfenstein is the closest we could get since you can use your left hand in that. That is if we're not counting the weird left handed rechambering animation the hunting rifle has in Fallout 76.
  • TennBu
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    yeah id like to see the gun on the left side just mirror it i played some shooter where u can switch the weapon right or left side on screen 
  • jroggs
    1223 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I know at least one older version of Counter-Strike had the left-handed mirroring and it was pretty nice. My problem is that I'm left-eye dominant but right-handed, so I shoot long guns lefty and handguns righty, and no video game could or should account for that kind of nonsense.
  • full951
    2468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    👍 For this
  • The-Monz
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    With all the inclusion in this game I'm surprised they've left out the lefties.
  • Godmodegta
    509 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    interesting thread , i imagine , must be weird playing game , using your left hand on mouse, while in  game character using right.
  • ASaltyAlpaca
    52 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Godmodegta wrote: »
    interesting thread , i imagine , must be weird playing game , using your left hand on mouse, while in  game character using right.

Not really, it feels more comfortable when I play FPS and such and when I transition to right handed it feels like my right hand is significantly smaller than my left hand. It’s weird.

• LinearSky23
    Godmodegta wrote: »

That’s completely fine, I don’t even notice that. Keyboard however is a bit trickier. I can’t use WASD for movement because it’s so awful to reach out to the space button with your pinky. Numpad was pretty bad too so I ended up using PL;’
    That’s the closest thing to WASD, you can reach everything it’s just mirrored. Same thing with a controller.
  • ragnarok013
    3876 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I haven’t seen an FPS so far with that option. I’m a lefty as well, mouse in my left hand/controller buttons entirely mirrored and honestly having the gun in the characters right hand is not even a problem. We have a lot bigger problems.
    LinearSky23 we actually had that option back in Quake I and 2 so it is bizarre that I've not seen a modern game with that toggle available.
  • Jargon113
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    That is because Q1,Q2 were made by great developers with fun and freedom in mind. They allowed mods and the game still lives to this day. Look at bf3.. trash after only a couple years. It really shows how EA/Dice just want more money to trap you into their game to buy your way out.
  • DingoKillr
    4345 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Every gun requires 2 set of animation ADS, reload, case discharge and different carry positions. The last dev comment on this I saw was back in BF4 to add such a feature is effectively adding a new gun so it would be less new guns. Memory restriction was an issue. 
  • Jargon113
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    LinearSky23 we actually had that option back in Quake I and 2 so it is bizarre that I've not seen a modern game with that toggle available.
    That is because Quake 1 and 2 were made by great developers. They allowed customization, mods, freedom. EA/Dice doe not allow these things for more money only.
  • ragnarok013
    3876 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Every gun requires 2 set of animation ADS, reload, case discharge and different carry positions. The last dev comment on this I saw was back in BF4 to add such a feature is effectively adding a new gun so it would be less new guns. Memory restriction was an issue. 
    DingoKillr that is an excellent point as we didn't have hand specific weapon animations in the older games.