This the most anger I’ve seen with the battlefield V community.

Comments

• SirTerrible
    1631 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    We've got a WW2 game with zero famous battles, barely any content, a delayed release, an awful reveal trailer, divisive game mechanics and lack of focus, bugs bugs and more bugs, and a whole host of other issues but it's calling out a few internet losers that can't handle women being in a game (and likely aren't BF fans anyway) that made the game sell poorly. I bet. When a game sucks I tend to think it's the being bad part that hurt sales more than anything.
    I disagree with part of this. Very few people care about women in video games. That's not the crux of the issue here, the issue is people have an expectation for WWII media and women on the front lines goes against that expectation. There isn't a market for a WWII game that markets an "immersive experience" and then breaks almost every known convention about WWII's history. 

The same people who said "lol these losers just don't like wahmen in vidya gamz" are the same people who were surprised the game sold poorly. It's not about women in video games, it's about shoehorning modern social constructs into a setting when it makes no sense to do so. 

I would've been surprised if it sold well, not if it sold poorly. Nothing about the game screamed quality prior to release. The alpha/beta painted a pretty clear picture to me. The game was in bad shape and the launch delay wasn't nearly long enough. The game wasn't finished. They haven't improved the game much at all since launch either so it's no surprise that it never gained momentum.
    You're greatly overestimating the importance of player model authenticity I think. CoD WW2 is a fine recent example of people not giving a crap about that stuff. Outside of the internet bubble people in real life don't care about this stuff enough to stop buying things they like. Now go smash your Keurig.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    770 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    We've got a WW2 game with zero famous battles, barely any content, a delayed release, an awful reveal trailer, divisive game mechanics and lack of focus, bugs bugs and more bugs, and a whole host of other issues but it's calling out a few internet losers that can't handle women being in a game (and likely aren't BF fans anyway) that made the game sell poorly. I bet. When a game sucks I tend to think it's the being bad part that hurt sales more than anything.

This ^^^
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    770 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    LinkZeppeloyd said:

Natetendo83 wrote: »
    Nobody is oppressed, but they had a point.

DICE defied consumer expectations by putting social issues in the game, and in the case of the single player completely rewriting history to put girls in the story. The tone of WWII is all over the place, and women on the front lines is a big part of that.

Bugs and rudderless design are certainly major problems, but those are basically nails in the coffin at this point. 

Completely disagree, and if this had been a real BF game people wouldn’t care one whit about these things. They’d just be having a blast in a Battlefied game. No one cared about women being in BF1 because it was a fun bf game.

If anything it was the ludicrous cosmetics *on* the woman in the trailer that put people off. It would have been just as bad if it were a robot armed, braveheart painted dude in a popped collar doing baseball slides with a cricket bat.

Nobody cared about women in BF1 because they were based on a Russian battalion of female snipers. There was at least some historical precedent for it.

Honestly anybody who doubts that the social movement part of BFV hurt sales is fooling themselves. 

“Hurt sales”? Maybe a few Hannity-watching incels, sure. But initial sales aren’t the end-all of gaming. Its the fact that game is nearly unplayable buggy, with practically no new content, and a terrible “live service” model that we don’t want that suffocated the game. PS- its sales were still very high.

Initial sales were a few million short of goal. All things have to be taken into consideration. EA blamed the delay mainly, but wrote off all concerns of "the gender issue". I have no problem with women being in my shooter or any game, but not one that tries to sell itself as accurate.
    Another issue lies in the idea of pursuing the "little known battles" that other games didn't cover. It sounded Like a good idea but I see now why no games touched it, they are visually boring and uninteresting.

Well yeah, the idea of “historically accurate” but with Fortnite skinz never made any sense in the first place!
  • filthmcnasty
    325 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 15
    LinkZeppeloyd said:

Natetendo83 wrote: »

DICE defied consumer expectations by putting social issues in the game, and in the case of the single player completely rewriting history to put girls in the story. The tone of WWII is all over the place, and women on the front lines is a big part of that.

Bugs and rudderless design are certainly major problems, but those are basically nails in the coffin at this point. 

Completely disagree, and if this had been a real BF game people wouldn’t care one whit about these things. They’d just be having a blast in a Battlefied game. No one cared about women being in BF1 because it was a fun bf game.

If anything it was the ludicrous cosmetics *on* the woman in the trailer that put people off. It would have been just as bad if it were a robot armed, braveheart painted dude in a popped collar doing baseball slides with a cricket bat.

Nobody cared about women in BF1 because they were based on a Russian battalion of female snipers. There was at least some historical precedent for it.

Honestly anybody who doubts that the social movement part of BFV hurt sales is fooling themselves. 

“Hurt sales”? Maybe a few Hannity-watching incels, sure. But initial sales aren’t the end-all of gaming. Its the fact that game is nearly unplayable buggy, with practically no new content, and a terrible “live service” model that we don’t want that suffocated the game. PS- its sales were still very high.

Initial sales were a few million short of goal. All things have to be taken into consideration. EA blamed the delay mainly, but wrote off all concerns of "the gender issue". I have no problem with women being in my shooter or any game, but not one that tries to sell itself as accurate.
    Another issue lies in the idea of pursuing the "little known battles" that other games didn't cover. It sounded Like a good idea but I see now why no games touched it, they are visually boring and uninteresting.

Well yeah, the idea of “historically accurate” but with Fortnite skinz never made any sense in the first place!

My problem with the game, as a whole currently, is that:
    The maps are forgettable
    More and more focus is going to infantry
    Vehicles are too rare and largely unbalanced (BF4 had good vehicle balance)
    Every bug fixed breaks something else
    New content is being released at a anemic rate
    No battle feels unique, just uninspired (Fjell)
    The new suppression system is counterproductive
    Too many things getting nerfed
    And....

I play BF for a large battles with a combined arms approach to combat. This is not that game anymore, sadly

BF has been competing with CoD for soo long it's as if they are bending over backwards for that playerbase while forgetting what made BF great to begin with.

While I get your point let's leave it out with the political references/slogans. ~Rtas
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • Desyatnik_Pansy
    1361 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    We were supposed to get the panzerbuchse 39 this week,then they took it away.
    -
    There's four weeks after the tank skin,and four guns that were put into the game,and advertised. (Panzerbuchse,Welgun,Breda 1935 PG, C96 Trench Carbine)

The funniest thing is, normally with the ToW We can see 2-3 Weeks ahead. At the moment, we literally only see 1 Week ahead, and I almost expect us not to see Week 9 Even when it moves over to Week 8 In two days. It's almost like the content isn't probably ready or something. xD
  • jroggs
    131 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Five straight weeks (and maybe more) of skins is definitely a bad look. It's also really frustrating when you know they've been sitting on so many finished guns that they're holding back because they want to wait for faction releases and the holiday season when they make a last big push for game sales.
  • CostanzaStan
    206 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

BFV was marketed as a different take on WW2. It was never going to be like BF1. They couldn't have made that more clear. This shouldn't have taken anyone by surprise and it's HARDLY in the top 1000 issues in the game. What we were promised and what we have not gotten (and what people should ACTUALLY be upset about) is the content or lack there of
  • SirTerrible
    1631 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 said:

The reveal trailer did irreparable damage to the game, then the mechanics, net code, and bugs finished off the rest of the playerbase, both long time and casual fans.
    I know it's not a reveal trailer but look at this beauty from Battlefield 4. Impossible to watch that and not get hyped. Nothing leading up to BFV launch even came close to that. I mean.. look at this overly scripted junk.
  • Shadders_X
    468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Hi,
    I really do not understand why there is any complaint about the artistic licence of any game. It is just that, a game. Does anyone believe that the game is an accurate portrayal of history ?. 

It is like someone complaining that they cannot spend Monopoly money down the shops. 

Regards,
    Shadders_X. 
  • PackersDK
    690 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hi,
    I really do not understand why there is any complaint about the artistic licence of any game. It is just that, a game. Does anyone believe that the game is an accurate portrayal of history ?. 

It is like someone complaining that they cannot spend Monopoly money down the shops. 

Regards,
    Shadders_X. 
    Could say the same about movies for example. It’s just a movie...

If you’re told the movie you’ve just bought a ticket to is a movie about the American War of Independence (and you might even have bought the ticket for that exact reason), and halfway in an actor whips out a Colt revolver and shots 6 enemies. Some, not everybody, but some, would wrinkle their nose and say “wtf was that”. 

Players have different opinions about how important this is. And no, despite the impression you sometimes get on this forum, there’s nothing wrong with liking authenticity, realism or immersion. 

Now I know some would say Dice never promised anything and they can go any direction they want, it’s their game. They did say it was a WW2 game, and said it would be immersive, but there’s a lot of wiggle room even within those parameters. Fair enough.

BUT, that does NOT make it a dirty thing to ask for it. To hope for it. To critisize Dice for the direction they took (god knows they are critisized for numerous other aspects of the game). 
  • VincentNZ
    2578 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hmm, yeah the ToW are pretty underwhelming. New cosmetics only work for 50% of the rounds, since they are faction specific, a facepaint works all the time, yet is somewhat moot, especially with the massive amount of facemasks available. Weapon skins are only for one weapon and usually the standard weaponry we already have five of (Like having 7 skins for the Sten, MP40 yet only one for the ZK and none for the Tommy Suomi). A knife is just something that I use very rarely, I might have 100 melee kills or probably less. A tank camo is nice, but again it is only for one vehicle of one faction. That is just not worthwhile.
    I stopped playing BF last week, although it is also partly due to my mouse having issues with Windows 10, so auto fire does not work all the time. The other reason is that the interest after 8 months just stalled and this is partly due to ToW being disappointing.
    Now if the new skin was released for all base-game weapons I would say this is very good, or if a new helmet, were rather two helmets, one for each faction, that I would call decent. The weapons they added are also often not what I play, I do not like MMGs and got two so far, I do not play BAs and got, 1 or 2. At the same time there are about a dozen weapons ready for release or very close to ready, some being in the files since December, that is actual content for everyone as people will use it for 100 kills or more.
    Colers on Symthic put it really well: "They could lead up to Chapter 5 with a bang, after the trust and hype dropped for so long, by releasing relevant stuff for all the weeks and make Chapter 4 really worthwhile."
  • Godmodegta
    166 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Won't lie, i wouldn't doubt anger gamer's this year, we were expecting complete finish ww2 that blow every mind but the game took different path and.. marketing
    skill... , Just example Epic exclusivity too BorderLand 3, metro exodus , Fallout 76 un finish,ton of bugs, information leak , these are some popular game from Triple AAA gaming company and so on Popular qoute "Get woke get broke". But as DICE mention , everything in battlefield V is testing.