This Week in Battlefield V

Are my macros ok?

PS4MR
11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I have slide (2*x) as a macro on a mouse button, is this ok? Lately i have read a lot about macro cheating so i'm not sure if my macro is ok. I personally don't think i have a advantage because of that, i made the macro because it's just more comfortable. But if it's against the TOS or you guys think it's not ok i will remove it.

Comments

• Mc_TheRipper
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 15
    [Removed for encouraging TOS violations]
  • PS4MR
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So it's not ok? Can someone please clarify, i wasn't able to read the comment above. It was removed for "encouraging TOS violations" so i guess it's not ok. I removed my macro for now as long as this is not clear.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13044 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Macro's are generally not permitted,  Per terms of service.

• PS4MR
    Ok thank you very much for the answer. Sorry i'm relatively new to pc gaming i really didn't knew that.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13044 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    PS4MR said:
    Ok thank you very much for the answer. Sorry i'm relatively new to pc gaming i really didn't knew that.
    No problem,  It's more a case of that macro's can be used for less than legitimate means so an outright prohibition is the better answer than to allow some but not actually know what people are using macros for.
  • EvilH0mer
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 16
    [Off topic]
    Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on
  • LOLGotYerTags
    [Off topic]
    Keep it on topic please or you will be infracted for derailing.
  • TheNoobPolice
    1577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Something like that is a fine line. I personally wouldn't have a problem with someone doing that. It's hardly a huge advantage. The game should have an option to bind slide to a key anyway. Macro's like that enable physically disabled people to be able to participate in gaming and although technically it's against "terms of service" and in theory could result in a ban, it would only take one example of that happening to someone who was physically disadvantaged and the news becoming public and politically correct EA would backpedal faster than you could say Logitech Gaming Software.

Still, the battle against macro abuse starts and ends with good game design. Macro abuse wasn't an issue in BF1 because of the intelligent way the weapons were designed, but in BFV they absolutely are a problem - especially with the SAR's, but all guns to some degree. 
  • TyroneLoyd
    1379 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Nope not allowed I never want it to be.
    Can of worms no one wants.
  • TheNoobPolice
    1577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Nope not allowed I never want it to be.
    Can of worms no one wants.
    Well it's kind of easy to just ban everything that could possibly be exploited, but it's not exactly the best thing to do. That's just lazy. It's only a can of worms when you don't bother to put the work in on the anti-cheat side to sort the wheat from the chaff. Like I said, some Macros have legitimate use cases. The devs are not happy with the way crouch is implemented anyway, I know this for a fact from speaking to Drunkkze, and I can't believe for a second that a player who plays at the level such as yourself would ever be seriously concerned about the OP using a double tap slide macro, and if so, that's pretty pathetic to be honest. What if he was disabled? Double tapping is awkward at the best of times and is simply a concession created due to console / gamepad button limitation and compatibility rather than any specific design choice. The "double tap to slide" is not there because they want a skill cap to sliding, but because they don't have enough buttons on a controller to have a dedicated key for it. Which is why this usually exists as an accessibility option in well designed games to "hold" instead, like in the God of War accessibility menu. Any TOS always has to be worded vaguely like any legal disclaimer document to cover things they haven't thought of in the event of them occuring, but there's no way the OP would get banned for this, and nor should he.

"Fair play" has to have somewhat vague edges in the online sphere - especially in the PC space where it is fundamentally a different experience for everyone. The classic counter argument of "would it be allowed at a Lan? No? then it's not allowed" is just simply not valid. In a theoretical world where every single player had a 60hz monitor, then a 144hz monitor is basically an exploit and should be banned. That's basically the level of logic behind that. Some "advantages" are ok, and some aren't. Everything needs to be judged separately on its merits.
  • PS4MR
    In the end i can understand Tyrone. When you see how people misuse macros to cheat, it better be banned completely even if it's a somewhat lazy approach.

• opsis_1
    203 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have have come across many macro users and in the past..90% mainly dmr and scar-h. In the right hands it;s deadly..for the average user doesn't matter. Either way..no big issue as the skill prevails.
  • Mhill2029
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Macro's are usually frowned upon by most gaming communities. I remember ShotOnline (a large MMO based golf game), where some would record macros on each hole based on somewhat repeatable weather conditions. After enough trial and error, they'd know what club to use, the power of the swing to use, and approach vectors and record it as one key stroke. And they simply load the 18 hole round up, and get incredible scores increasing their HDCP or winning tournaments. Since the weather conditions didn't vary that much, it was easy to setup up a perfect approach to each hole making minor adjustments for wind direction etc. It got to the point where ppl where scoring -33 or better over 18 holes. The game still exists, so not sure what they do about it now...

Unfortunately I don't believe there is anyway in preventing the use of macro's, since most modern gaming peripherals have such features. But I know for sure ShotOnline did perma ban folk if it was discovered. Detection methods shouldn't be too hard, since certain response times between multiple actions could be considered humanly impossible by an algorithm. But sadly this would likely get ppl banned that are using a simple macro for efficiency reasons.

Not sure what advantage if any they'd have over another player in a game like BFV, but I have seen many M1A1 carbine users definitely using a macro.
  • TheNoobPolice
    I think it entirely depends on what you use a macro for. 

It's a bit like Faceit Anti-cheat has decided to ban the Interception driver in CS:GO, because there has been one cheat developed that used the driver. That's ridiculous because the driver has a whole host of legitimate functions, and is itself nothing to do with cheating in videos games, including being the only way to get a functional version of mouse acceleration across different games which I happen to use, and rather than work out what this particular cheat was doing by using the driver, they just banned the whole driver. Lazy beyond belief. It'd be a bit like banning the Win32 api in 3rd party apps because cheats are also developed using it - well duh! You could say bye bye to msi afterburner while gaming then I guess!

I see the same principle with a ban on macros - it depends on what the design intention of the game is. An auto-fire with a single fire gun is obviously a problem, since the optimum click rate on an M1A1 or AGM-42 is intended to be a hurdle to overcome and is part of the mechanical skill of the game. This isn't true of double-tap to slide - the devs want you to execute a slide effortlessly, sliding is just a movement function like moving forward - there's not any expectation of skill required to press the W key after all.

There's also many other ways macros help people play games and participate when they wouldn't otherwise be able to. With the exception of an auto-fire or auto-recoil script, I don't put macros anyway near in the same bracket as something like a wallhack or an aimbot which is actually hacking into the game files.
  • Jeffmaxs6
    225 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Macro what? lol You binded the slide button to your mouse? You should be able to bind the keys to what ever you want. That's the ideal of binding the keys. : /  If you used Logitech software to bind the key, then your just correcting what the game should be able to do. I would want to bind the slide key to my mouse too, but I don't even have my prone key bind, because I'm lazy and not that into the game. Sliding is kind of childish to me and more towards run/gun vs strategy. Also noobish play vs holding your own, so I don't like it and would feel like a desperate try hard. That's also part of the reason I don't have the prone key set up. I'd use the prone to avoid getting killed, but not use it as offense. I'm a stand up kind of guy. lol It's sort of like using smoke or gadgets to do your battling for you. The game is more run/gun and more like a DM or more like COD. COD does it better and BF should stick to BF. 

Anyways I haven't even used the slide or try to bind it in the game. If it wouldn't let me, then maybe Logitech would. But, after searching macro results showed more then just binding keys.  So forget everything I said, it's over my head. But, I still stand behind its noobish and more towards COD then BF. 

• TyroneLoyd
    1379 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Whatever.
  • STOPchris
    538 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Since EA doesn't ban anyone, I don't think it really matters. 
  • Gattlin
    516 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Any combination of button presses combined into a single button press is a cheat....... I have abutton press bound to my mouse buttons but they are single press single key activation totaly differant.
  • bigguyhawaii
    362 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Binding a key to a different button isn’t macro. Marco is putting you gun on single fire but you macro you button so one press does 5 shots.
This discussion has been closed.