'Former Battlefield manager warns EA to ‘step it up’ after Modern Warfare gameplay reveal'

LankRich
115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
https://www.dexerto.com/call-of-duty/battlefield-manager-warns-ea-step-it-up-modern-warfare-gameplay-reveal-877079

^^ This article just popped up on my timeline and I thought it was quite an interesting read...

Personally, I think it's too late for EA/DICE to save Battlefield V. It's not like there's been a shortage of opportunities to fix this game and iron out all the annoying bugs, yet here we are. Even with the expected release of the Pacific theatre, I think the majority of us know that the new content will either be delayed or broken to some extent.

My interest in Call of Duty expired after MW3, but from what I'm seeing, Modern Warefare is going for the jugular and ticking all the boxes that a Battlefield fan looks for in a game; It's offering large maps, in-depth weapon customisations that affect weapon performance, enormous teams, a real focus on gameplay and now even vehicles - which sounds exactly like what Battlefield used to offer. 

I really hope this game dies and it probably will come October 25th. It will never be the WW2 Battlefield that we were all after and has been a real opportunity wasted. But more importantly, I hope the managing directors and those in charge of the decision making of this game learn a lesson from the mistakes they have made. 

Comments

• VOLBANKER
    1717 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2019
    The upcoming COD may also have serious issues - we don't know yet.

EDIT: Not that I'm hoping it does, on the contrary. Just saying
  • HANSGRUBER30
    3089 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    He’s not wrong.
  • LankRich
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    VOLBANKER said:

You're right and I really hope it doesn't! It'll be determined by how they deal with the issues and bugs that pop up and how efficiently they can resolve them
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1454 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    LankRich said:
    VOLBANKER said:

You're right and I really hope it doesn't! It'll be determined by how they deal with the issues and bugs that pop up and how efficiently they can resolve them

so BF is doomed
  • LankRich
    Its not even visual focus ruining the game, its the animations for everything. I was so annoyed when I first played the demo and just parachuting makes it so you can't shoot within a second or so of hitting the ground between all the shuffling and swaying from landing. Do these add anything to the gameplay? Multiplayer games need less cinematic fluff.
    You're not wrong, but the visual focus is a serious problem in this game..

But I'm definitely a fan of the more subtle animations (with the exception of the PeaceKeeper from BF1 as that was bonkers). I couldn't believe what I was seeing when they added that stupid Assassins Creed ledge jump thing.. Literally no one ever was asking for that but yet they felt the need to add it anyway
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have no clue why he thinks COD going, "full battlefield" is a guarantee when COD has always made its bread and butter on small team gameplay. 
  • LankRich
    I have no clue why he thinks COD going, "full battlefield" is a guarantee when COD has always made its bread and butter on small team gameplay. 
    In previous versions it has, but Modern Warfare will have 50 vs 50 player game modes and even have a 64 player ground war mode. Battlefield could have increased it's player count years ago, but have always stuck its golden number of 64 players 
  • ninjapenquinuk
    2247 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why would cod go full battlefield when battlefield is going more cod because that's where the player numbers are.?
  • CSO7777
    1844 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2019
    Check this one out:

when asked if Al-Kaisy had told EA Dice while working there about the impending need to change Battlefield’s focus to gameplay, the former EA employee simply responded by saying: “Hell yeah we did. But hey what do I know!”

This is exactly why the franchise is circling the toilet. Its an omen when the community tells devs what's wrong and they don't listen, it's an inevitability when the studio's own staff tell devs what's wrong and they still get ignored.

The general feeling is this all started with BF5. Many of us can trace this to the release of BF1. The franchise has been slowly destroying itself since 2016.

Hope Infinity Ward is aware that alot of us in the BF community have very high hopes for Modern Warfare, though we're very cautious about expectations. They have a real opportunity to check mate EA/Dice.
    In BF3, BF4 and BF1 there was the same complaining on the forums, old BF was better, BF is becoming COD etc. (along with the usual "snipers ruin the game"-threads).

Dice has "evolved" the game with every new release, but they "evolved" perhaps a little too much in BFV. And he worst part is that the game is (still) filled with bugs/issues and many feel that if they have focused on less new "features", then the game could have worked a lot better.

But hopefully the next COD will be a success and a big wake-up-call for Dice. Forcing them to focus on the game-play and less on a "cinematic feeling" (which BFV doesn't really have anyway - unlike BF1). We want visibility of enemies and sound that helps game-play and only 'immersion'-effects when not in gun-fights.
  • HawkeyeAM47
    1370 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    CSO7777 wrote: »
    BaronVonGoon said:
    Check this one out:

when asked if Al-Kaisy had told EA Dice while working there about the impending need to change Battlefield’s focus to gameplay, the former EA employee simply responded by saying: “Hell yeah we did. But hey what do I know!”

This is exactly why the franchise is circling the toilet. Its an omen when the community tells devs what's wrong and they don't listen, it's an inevitability when the studio's own staff tell devs what's wrong and they still get ignored.

The general feeling is this all started with BF5. Many of us can trace this to the release of BF1. The franchise has been slowly destroying itself since 2016.

Hope Infinity Ward is aware that alot of us in the BF community have very high hopes for Modern Warfare, though we're very cautious about expectations. They have a real opportunity to check mate EA/Dice.

In BF3, BF4 and BF1 there was the same complaining on the forums, old BF was better, BF is becoming COD etc. (along with the usual "snipers ruin the game"-threads).

Dice has "evolved" the game with every new release, but they "evolved" perhaps a little too much in BFV. And he worst part is that the game is (still) filled with bugs/issues and many feel that if they have focused on less new "features", then the game could have worked a lot better.

But hopefully the next COD will be a success and a big wake-up-call for Dice. Forcing them to focus on the game-play and less on a "cinematic feeling" (which BFV doesn't really have anyway - unlike BF1). We want visibility of enemies and sound that helps game-play and only 'immersion'-effects when not in gun-fights.

Yeah I agree people always complained, but the majority always stuck with the games, but this time IT IS SERIOUS
  • CT1924
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Once cod perfects destructable terrain, ariel, and vehicular combat, Battlefield will be finished.
  • lunajpsn
    42 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    LankRich wrote: »
    https://www.dexerto.com/call-of-duty/battlefield-manager-warns-ea-step-it-up-modern-warfare-gameplay-reveal-877079

But more importantly, I hope the managing directors and those in charge of the decision making of this game learn a lesson from the mistakes they have made. 

I think they learned their lesson when EA’s stock price when from $148 to $73....that certainly got their attention.