This Week in Battlefield V

Another Unpopular Opinion.

ProAssassin2003
3359 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited August 18
Prone should be removed from the game. The gameplay would instantly be better for everyone. Allow MMGs to be ADS and more effective.

Bad Company 2 has always been praised for it's Gameplay. Guess What? It didn't have Prone yet nobody complained because the gameplay was so good. It instantly makes the gameplay better because of many reasons.

1. Instantly solves Camping and the Prone Meta.
2. All enemies are recognizable and therefore better more engaging gun fights.
3. Visibility wouldn't be an issue.

It would fix BFV. Or the least thing they could do is remove ability to lay on your Back. That would be a step in the right direction.

Comments

• PackersDK
    757 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I will keep an open mind and say that it could work, maybe. Provided Dice looked at destruction and cover in the game. 

A Breakthrough map like Aerodrome, where a few minutes of camping tanks bombarding you, leaves nothing left standing above knee height, would be annoying. 

Every map would have to be looked through. Because cover and such actually matters in gun fights and objective based modes.

As for laying on you back, I only think it’s an issue because of the downed player animation. Remove one of the two would be fine by me, preferably the downed player one. That Dice didn’t see (or worse saw, but ignored) that issue is just baffling to me. 
  • Hawxxeye
    5572 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 18
    But I like sneaking around enemy flanks by proning... I thought that BFV would even have prone sprint but sadly not.
    I would prefer there to be better spotting and less blurry/washed out visuals where you lose the enemy among the terrain
  • DasScharminkel
    61 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    though i support the idea, any idea really, if it results in a fast and fluent gameplay. i'd say leave prone in for the sake of seeking cover at a splitsecond. BUT mark anyone on the map as spotted if he remains prone for longer than 10 seconds. personally i'd even punish those pesky proners by draining their health further every 5 seconds by 10% but this is impossible to get through.

i hate it when potatoes think they achieved something when all the did was sitting braindead in a corner getting a kill any other odd minute.

• ninjapenquinuk
    1841 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I would Agree that the laying on your back mechanic should be removed. It brings nothing but trouble to the gameplay. An example of dice tinkering when there wasn't an a problem that needed addressing and so it's a gimmick that is detrimental to the game. Will te devs accept that their 'baby' was wrong-no chance!

as for prone I'm in two minds. I get that it causes issues with visibility but i dont think it should be ditched as it's an integral mechanic for fps games-though I know the first console versions had no prone. I say it's an integral mechanic, but I don't think prone is working properly. By that I mean weapons are just too accurate all round. In past games to get the best accuracy you HAD to be prone, especially with BA rifles, but it the past few games you can be almost as accurate firing from standing and even running so thus negating the need to go prone, except to hide. So we are back to visibility again, and that's a map design problem with all the unnecessary clutter. I mean why the ..... would you put pidgeons on Rotterdam?? And what's the obsession with never ending floating debris. It does nothing for the game and doesn't even look good. Previous bf games didn't have this bad a visibility problem and I mean bf1 which you could argue is or should be a very similar game, style and design wise had very few issues.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3359 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    But I like sneaking around enemy flanks by proning... I thought that BFV would even have prone sprint but sadly not.I would prefer there to be better spotting and less blurry/washed out visuals where you lose the enemy among the terrain

Dude prone Sprint. Lmao. Maybe that's what they are testing with the frozen Stiff animations. Lol
  • Hawxxeye
    5572 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 18
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    But I like sneaking around enemy flanks by proning... I thought that BFV would even have prone sprint but sadly not.I would prefer there to be better spotting and less blurry/washed out visuals where you lose the enemy among the terrain

Dude prone Sprint. Lmao. Maybe that's what they are testing with the frozen Stiff animations. Lol

I am serious, I was talking about what this guy does at the last 20 sec of the video

• Shadders_X
    483 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Hi,
    It is like anything in Battlefield previously, there has to be a flaw or countermeasure in any of the advantages. For BF4, you can see players, or for INVR there are flares, or helicopters there are ground to air countermeasures. There is in general, this balance to the game. 

From what it seems from the comments on BFV, you cannot see anyone, so their prone makes them nigh on invisible, and the spotting is reduced. Too many game flaws which assist a specific behaviour. Same for BF4, people bunny hopping, jumping around and using aim assist and snap to/auto rotation to immediately beat an opponent. 

If the people crating the game actually played the game, then maybe they could generate balance in the game. They need to think like the cheating gamers - how can they misuse the mechanics to their own advantage. 

Regards,
    Shadders_X. 
  • Hawxxeye
    Hi,
    It is like anything in Battlefield previously, there has to be a flaw or countermeasure in any of the advantages. For BF4, you can see players, or for INVR there are flares, or helicopters there are ground to air countermeasures. There is in general, this balance to the game. 

From what it seems from the comments on BFV, you cannot see anyone, so their prone makes them nigh on invisible, and the spotting is reduced. Too many game flaws which assist a specific behaviour. Same for BF4, people bunny hopping, jumping around and using aim assist and snap to/auto rotation to immediately beat an opponent. 

If the people crating the game actually played the game, then maybe they could generate balance in the game. They need to think like the cheating gamers - how can they misuse the mechanics to their own advantage. 

Regards,
    Shadders_X. 
    Some absolute geniouses decided to force in BFV semi hardcore spotting while nerfing flares in the biggest clustercluck of terrain graphics
  • PeaceWeaver
    64 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This hate for a basic feature,a feature which has been in every battlefield to date,excluding the Bad company games,and no one's had a problem with it (besides the occasional gripe about dolphin diving),is insane.-Camping isn't a "thing",the only meta is Assault. If you can't tell someone's holding a gun,and not reaching for the sky,that's your problem,and if they're in a corner? Throw a grenade. Every class has oneRemove laying on your back? You mean like the -other- battlefields did? It wasn't a problem then,it isn't one now. All this does now is stop people's feet from cliping through walls as easily

It is strange, then, given that camping “isn’t a thing,” that the vast majority of my deaths come from bushes where there is a prone, camping support player with an MMG, or a prone, camping recon player with a Boys AT. Throwing grenades into corners works, but only if you see them lying there first — which is a very big “if”. :)
  • Foxassassin
    110 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This hate for a basic feature,a feature which has been in every battlefield to date,excluding the Bad company games,and no one's had a problem with it (besides the occasional gripe about dolphin diving),is insane.-Camping isn't a "thing",the only meta is Assault. If you can't tell someone's holding a gun,and not reaching for the sky,that's your problem,and if they're in a corner? Throw a grenade. Every class has oneRemove laying on your back? You mean like the -other- battlefields did? It wasn't a problem then,it isn't one now. All this does now is stop people's feet from cliping through walls as easily

It is strange, then, given that camping “isn’t a thing,” that the vast majority of my deaths come from bushes where there is a prone, camping support player with an MMG, or a prone, camping recon player with a Boys AT. Throwing grenades into corners works, but only if you see them lying there first — which is a very big “if”. :)
    Check corners. Sprint when it's safe. Travel with your squad.
    -
    If you die to someone who isn't moving. And you continue to run to them to die over and over,thats not the game. That's you
  • TheNoobPolice
    1577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Prone is ok as an evasive measure. i.e you can't fire while going prone, you use it to hide behind cover etc. You also then make going to and coming out of prone smoother and more responsive since there is no need to balance a potential drop shot meta anymore etc.

But failing that, it's just better if its gone honestly. I much prefer games where it's not a thing.
  • DasScharminkel
    61 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

-
    If you die to someone who isn't moving. And you continue to run to them to die over and over,thats not the game. That's you
    sry but that sounds just slow and just as campy. if the ttk wasnt as low we'd run circles around those camping bricks, plus it takes far less skill to lay on your belly all day than to maneuver across the map at a fast pace.

though the problem isnt dying more than once to a corner-rat it's that in some way those underachievers feel rewarded for doing so, slowing the overall pace of the game in some maps down and rendering it less enjoyable.
    marita can be fun fast paced house to house action, with dozens of kills and frantically diving in and out of windows. or it can be a campy bore with 4-5 bipod campers on each side of a wall until the timer runs out.

and good luck flanking when the game forces you down a narrow path one side or the other.

stick to my team? sure, every full moon i am graced with guys knowing their stuff and guess what, we rush down  camping dudes by the second. no need to slow down into a crawl at every corner, speed movement and aim prevails as it should. this aint no boring sim were you check every corner with a mirror and take votes on how to proceed. 

camping is the last resort of the unskilled and no "tactic". like crossing your arms over your head aint no tactic when you get beaten into a pulp by an superior opponent. 
  • MsieurLeodagan
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

On maps Hamada, Panzerstorm and and other open maps : infested of snipers campers. Fronline it's worse : trench battle snipers.
    (Game on pc).
  • ragnarok013
    3218 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Having the inability to prone wouldn't fix camping as there were plenty of people in BC2 who kneeled in corners and near bushes camping - in fact I believe BC2 was the genesis of the term "Bushwookie" since recons had ghillie suits making them look like Chewbacca and loved to kneel near bushes to snipe in order to hide. Having no prone might mitigate the issue a little but it certainly won't eliminate camping which has been in FPSs since I started playing them online in Quake I.

There are also positives for keeping prone in the game. There are many times that I'm capping a flag and have to prone while doing it due to the map destruction removing a lot of cover or concealment on the point. If I had to kneel I'd be immediately sniped. As a medic main reviving while prone is also something that would be a net negative if it was removed from the game.
  • fragnstein
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PackersDK wrote: »
    I will keep an open mind and say that it could work, maybe. Provided Dice looked at destruction and cover in the game. 

A Breakthrough map like Aerodrome, where a few minutes of camping tanks bombarding you, leaves nothing left standing above knee height, would be annoying. 

Every map would have to be looked through. Because cover and such actually matters in gun fights and objective based modes.

As for laying on you back, I only think it’s an issue because of the downed player animation. Remove one of the two would be fine by me, preferably the downed player one. That Dice didn’t see (or worse saw, but ignored) that issue is just baffling to me. 

Downed players have cramps and tummy aches
  • bigiain
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If we get another proper Bad Company game, it might be a chance to go back to the no prone style. It seems like too drastic a measure here, you'd make a big chunk of players leave rather than improve, it's all they can do.

The next game needs a lot of thought about avoiding what's happened here anyway. Far too many players really don't do much any more.

• disposalist
    8598 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    bigiain said:
    If we get another proper Bad Company game, it might be a chance to go back to the no prone style. It seems like too drastic a measure here, you'd make a big chunk of players leave rather than improve, it's all they can do.

The next game needs a lot of thought about avoiding what's happened here anyway. Far too many players really don't do much any more.
    If losing prone would make players leave, they aren't players we would miss.
  • PeaceWeaver
    64 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PeaceWeaver said:

Foxassassin wrote: »

-

I don’t die to the same prone camper over and over again; I die to the overwhelming multitudes of prone campers sitting in corners and bushes on every objective and the spaces between objectives. I always try to move with my squad, but it’s rare to find squadmates who actually play the objective. Most of my squad mates are camping recons and camping support, or they spend the entire match in a plane. It’s not possible to check every corner, and besides, the moment you approach a corner, you’re dead — either from the prone support hiding behind a bush in said corner, or other prone support hiding in the corners you haven’t been able to check yet. If you proactively shoot into corners, you merely reveal your position. I’d join a platoon to play with people who don’t just want to camp and ignore the objective, but so many platoons kick or don’t accept people who don’t already have great K/D ratios. Hard to build up a good K/D when you keep dying to people you can’t see who are lying prone in bushes, or camped out on rocks...