One thing that needs to happen to make tanks less vulnerable and more ptfo

Comments

• mrtwotimes
    733 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You can PTFO in tanks now, I do it all the time successfully.   Sure, sometimes you'll encounter enemy who may be able to take you down (that what happens in war games) ... but more than not if you're prepared you can clear a flag with not much support.   Of course it's best when you have tank gunners as well.
  • ragnarok013
    3057 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Hawxxeye said:

1) Turrets in tanks are really slow

IIIIUNREALIIII when's the last time that you used a tank? The turrets and tanks themselves received a massive speed buff and feel close to BF4 tanks only without the "sprint" option.

Since when did that happen? During August?
    Hawxxeye  it happened during the past couple of months. The tanks feel a lot better now and aren't creeping at 10 kph or having excruciatingly slow turrets. One of the patches even called out the turret speed rework as being a default option now instead of a skill tree choice.
  • Vespervin
    1307 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What tanks need it removal of systemic damage. There is absolutely 0 reason for a tank to push the objective if a single AT grenade fired from a support's AT Pistol fired from over 100m away can disable my engine or tracks making me completely immobile.
    This. This. This.

I try to capture flags, but only if friendly infantry move in first. I rarely go in by myself because it is a death wish. I typically sit on the outskirts of objectives, taking out enemy infantry and armour to give my friendly infantry in the area a better chance of successful flag capture.
  • TheyHaveScissors
    640 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nah tanks are good.

You need the systemic damage for the specializations to work. Players are spoiled nowadays. And crybabies. And they often dont know how to employ tanks in combination with infantry.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1436 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 21
    Vespervin said:
    What tanks need it removal of systemic damage. There is absolutely 0 reason for a tank to push the objective if a single AT grenade fired from a support's AT Pistol fired from over 100m away can disable my engine or tracks making me completely immobile.
    This. This. This.

I try to capture flags, but only if friendly infantry move in first. I rarely go in by myself because it is a death wish. I typically sit on the outskirts of objectives, taking out enemy infantry and armour to give my friendly infantry in the area a better chance of successful flag capture.
    Yes and some tankers are really good at this and I don't think their team really knows how much help they are. 
    Post edited by MBT_Layzan on
  • IIIIUNREALIIII
    131 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Vespervin said:
    This. This. This.

Yes and some tankers are really good at this and I don't think their team really knows how much help they are. 
    Why you edited post? It was words of truth. Your post should be framed on the main page :) There are still bugs. Some shots still don’t register. In Pazner 38T you can't even spot enemies. From 2 months? I think this tank lost 30% of his value. Wrong, all tanks can't spot enemies now. And many, many more, but nobody talks about it. Because no one take care of tanks.
  • DukeSan27
    1154 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex said:
    jroggs said:
    Here, check this out. Literally the most recent match I played.

Playing as the Tiger, which I've seen many players here disparage. 28 kills and countless other woundings and suppressions over a 10:30 stretch. No camp-sniping, all fighting in objectives or traveling between them. Disabled multiple times. And the streak only ended because we won the match.

I watched for 3 minutes, you barely moved, you scoped out most of your kills from distance.  

You're just  showing what others are describing.  Slow sim-like tank gameplay.   

The saddest part is being tethered to the depot (as he was on D). And its got nothing to do with skill.
  • DukeSan27
    1154 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:

IIIIUNREALIIII when's the last time that you used a tank? The turrets and tanks themselves received a massive speed buff and feel close to BF4 tanks only without the "sprint" option.

Hawxxeye  it happened during the past couple of months. The tanks feel a lot better now and aren't creeping at 10 kph or having excruciatingly slow turrets. One of the patches even called out the turret speed rework as being a default option now instead of a skill tree choice.
    Ch3/TrialByFire-
    "
    • Tank Turret speed revision: The heavy and medium tanks have had their base turret speed increased and the power of the upgrade has been reduced from 125% turn speed to 115%. We felt that the base turret speed was too slow, so players were effectively required to pick the turret turn speed upgrade to be competitive. By making this change, we enable more diverse builds without sacrificing the physical feeling of the turrets. This change also applies to AA tanks and tank hunters. Tanks should find that they are now more able to brawl with infantry at close and medium ranges.
    "

Overall it was not much increase, and no where close to BF4 tanks.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1436 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Vespervin said:
    This. This. This.

Why you edited post? It was words of truth. Your post should be framed on the main page :) There are still bugs. Some shots still don’t register. In Pazner 38T you can't even spot enemies. From 2 months? I think this tank lost 30% of his value. Wrong, all tanks can't spot enemies now. And many, many more, but nobody talks about it. Because no one take care of tanks.
    Cheers, but I guess I just can't be bothered with fighting about this anymore, not over BFV, it's that bad, and this extends beyond tanking.    
  • MBT_Layzan
    edited August 21
    DukeSan27 said:
    Hawxxeye said:

Ch3/TrialByFire-
    "
    • Tank Turret speed revision: The heavy and medium tanks have had their base turret speed increased and the power of the upgrade has been reduced from 125% turn speed to 115%. We felt that the base turret speed was too slow, so players were effectively required to pick the turret turn speed upgrade to be competitive. By making this change, we enable more diverse builds without sacrificing the physical feeling of the turrets. This change also applies to AA tanks and tank hunters. Tanks should find that they are now more able to brawl with infantry at close and medium ranges.
    "

Well at least they felt it needed something. That's a start I guess. 
  • mf_shro0m
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 22
    For the love of god, a handful of a particular class being able to do well with a class doesn’t mean that the class is well balanced. For example the fact that stodeh still murks with recon even in BFV doesn’t mean that the class balance is fine

For a class to be well balanced the average joe user needs to be able to perform reasonably with it without resorting to cheap af tactics that damage gameplay for everyone else which in the case of tankers (and recons and supports) means that they’re not too scared to ptfo. It’s great and all some of us saying that camping in the middle of nowhere is selfish and means they’ll never git gud, and that they should follow the example of the best players none of whom camp, but that will only have so much of an impact. At the end of the day if the average joe tanker/recon/support still feels like he has to camp in the middle of nowhere, something needs to be done because that stuff impacts everyone else
  • mf_shro0m
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nah tanks are good.

You need the systemic damage for the specializations to work. Players are spoiled nowadays. And crybabies. And they often dont know how to employ tanks in combination with infantry.

Lmao right because they couldn’t just replace the repair thing that boosts heath and fixes broken parts with something else
  • DingoKillr
    3508 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    y_j_es_i wrote: »
    For the love of god, a handful of a particular class being able to do well with a class doesn’t mean that the class is well balanced. For example the fact that stodeh still murks with recon even in BFV doesn’t mean that the class balance is fine

For a class to be well balanced the average joe user needs to be able to perform reasonably with it without resorting to cheap af tactics that damage gameplay for everyone else which in the case of tankers (and recons and supports) means that they’re not too scared to ptfo. It’s great and all some of us saying that camping in the middle of nowhere is selfish and means they’ll never git gud, and that they should follow the example of the best players none of whom camp, but that will only have so much of an impact. At the end of the day if the average joe tanker/recon/support still feels like he has to camp in the middle of nowhere, something needs to be done because that stuff impacts everyone else

That is how I try to look at everything but you will always get people like that. That is the problem they want the game to be how they like and not what is best for the game. Example no mortars stops infantry for targeting camping tanks
  • jroggs
    293 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DukeSan27 said:
    trip1ex said:
    jroggs said:
    Here, check this out. Literally the most recent match I played.

Playing as the Tiger, which I've seen many players here disparage. 28 kills and countless other woundings and suppressions over a 10:30 stretch. No camp-sniping, all fighting in objectives or traveling between them. Disabled multiple times. And the streak only ended because we won the match.

I watched for 3 minutes, you barely moved, you scoped out most of your kills from distance.  

You're just  showing what others are describing.  Slow sim-like tank gameplay.   

The saddest part is being tethered to the depot (as he was on D). And its got nothing to do with skill.
    @trip1ex That's just my playstyle. I think faster tankplay is still viable in the Stag and 38t, it's just not something I'm great at. But fair enough, I'll take that particular burden of proof on myself and see if I can actually do it before I make that claim. Regardless, this is still effective PTFO tanking with a big streak. I'm in a heavy tank, so I figure my role is built around holding the center of the map and drawing attention more than racing around It's probably less thrilling to watch than it was to play, but I enjoyed it, and it's still far more arcade than sim in my opinion. And I won't tell you how to spend your time, but three minutes doesn't really tell the story.

@DukeSan27 It wasn't all that bad. Like I said, I mismanaged my ammo and took a lot of cannon shots at targets I should have been using the MG, and while the resupply points are nice for lazy repair cycles, I always had the option to hop out and touch up my tank myself. It's less that I was tethered to the resupply and more that it was in a really good position for me. (FWIW, I do think they need more resupply points in the middle of most maps, because I agree Ammo Concern Syndrome can be a factor for a lot of players that pushes them into campy gameplay.) As for manual skill, that's still a factor, as I used mine to get more kills than most could but fewer than a great tanker could have. But for me it's really more about positioning and situational awareness than pure hand-eye coordination mastery.

I do see your points better now, though. At best, BFV's tanking isn't for everyone. My main disagreement is with the folks who pretend tanks are too weak to do anything significant in terms of winning the match. How fun their implementation is is certainly subjective.

(I'm glad I always ctrl-c my posts. These forums eat posts like crazy.)
  • mf_shro0m
    edited August 22
    jroggs wrote: »
    (Quote)
    @trip1ex That's just my playstyle. I think faster tankplay is still viable in the Stag and 38t, it's just not something I'm great at. But fair enough, I'll take that particular burden of proof on myself and see if I can actually do it before I make that claim. Regardless, this is still effective PTFO tanking with a big streak. I'm in a heavy tank, so I figure my role is built around holding the center of the map and drawing attention more than racing around It's probably less thrilling to watch than it was to play, but I enjoyed it, and it's still far more arcade than sim in my opinion. And I won't tell you how to spend your time, but three minutes doesn't really tell the story.

@DukeSan27 It wasn't all that bad. Like I said, I mismanaged my ammo and took a lot of cannon shots at targets I should have been using the MG, and while the resupply points are nice for lazy repair cycles, I always had the option to hop out and touch up my tank myself. It's less that I was tethered to the resupply and more that it was in a really good position for me. (FWIW, I do think they need more resupply points in the middle of most maps, because I agree Ammo Concern Syndrome can be a factor for a lot of players that pushes them into campy gameplay.) As for manual skill, that's still a factor, as I used mine to get more kills than most could but fewer than a great tanker could have. But for me it's really more about positioning and situational awareness than pure hand-eye coordination mastery.

I do see your points better now, though. At best, BFV's tanking isn't for everyone. My main disagreement is with the folks who pretend tanks are too weak to do anything significant in terms of winning the match. How fun their implementation is is certainly subjective.

No-ones saying that. What we’re saying is that most players are too scared to ptfo because of how vulnerable tanks are at short-medium range so they camp, occupy a tank slot all round and don’t help their team. As a result, something needs to be done
  • Hawxxeye
    5363 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    y_j_es_i said:
    (Quote)

No-ones saying that. What we’re saying is that most players are too scared to ptfo because of how vulnerable tanks are at short-medium range so they camp, occupy a tank slot all round and don’t help their team. As a result, something needs to be done
    I will add that the BFV tank playstyle does not sit well for those of us who do not enjoy the playstyle of a stationary sniper and preferred the more active and agile tanking of previous tittles.

DukeSan27 said:
    Hawxxeye said:

Ch3/TrialByFire-
    "
    "

Ah so that is what you were talking about. That change was so insignificant that it might had as well not existed. I wish I could tell them to shove their "physical feeling of turrets" where the sun does not shine and address the not at all physical movement of infantry strafing
  • jroggs
    293 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

On that, I completely agree, tank-wasting is a problem. My point is that it's mostly a problem of player misperception/ selfishness and consequent behavior than a problem with the vehicles themselves, and there are other ways to fix the problem, and I would do that by incentivizing aggressive/ objective play and disincentivizing camping and cowardice.

The biggest thing comes down to resupply placement. Attrition has a lot of potential to guide tankers into the action, but DICE kinda blew it. Look at a map like Twisted Steel. Only two resupplies inside the play boundaries, and they're both next to D, with nothing on the A-C-F side of the map. Why? And then there's Aerodrome. There's a better job done here to with resupply placement, but then you've got these amazing vantage points where tanks can sit in wide open spaces, where they can snipe across the map and slip into their team spawns to restock and repair there in total safety.

They need to remove tank resupply points from spawns, period. Then they need to improve their placement around the map, and the best places for them is between objectives. These resupplies should be easy to destroy, but they should also be much quicker to rebuild.

Regarding tank speed, I'd support a substantial increase to maximum speed so that tanks could traverse the map much faster when they spawn in or just need to get somewhere. However, this should be balanced by acceleration, which should be decent for lighter tanks but very slow for heavy tanks, so it isn't a pure "get hit and run away scot-free" mechanic, and aiming while at top speed should be borderline impossible to compensate. The goal is to minimize boring downtime rather than turn tanks into killer racecars.

With all that in place, they might even be able to (gasp) lower the ammo carried by each vehicle, which would further reduce camping and force tankers into the fray. Okay, sure, they might just roll to the nearest resupply, top off, and then run back to their camping spot. But that's Battlefield for you. As much as people talk up BF4, tank-sniping is still present there as well.
  • mf_shro0m
    edited August 22
    (Quote)

On that, I completely agree, tank-wasting is a problem. My point is that it's mostly a problem of player misperception/ selfishness and consequent behavior than a problem with the vehicles themselves, and there are other ways to fix the problem, and I would do that by incentivizing aggressive/ objective play and disincentivizing camping and cowardice.

The biggest thing comes down to resupply placement. Attrition has a lot of potential to guide tankers into the action, but DICE kinda blew it. Look at a map like Twisted Steel. Only two resupplies inside the play boundaries, and they're both next to D, with nothing on the A-C-F side of the map. Why? And then there's Aerodrome. There's a better job done here to with resupply placement, but then you've got these amazing vantage points where tanks can sit in wide open spaces, where they can snipe across the map and slip into their team spawns to restock and repair there in total safety.

They need to remove tank resupply points from spawns, period. Then they need to improve their placement around the map, and the best places for them is between objectives. These resupplies should be easy to destroy, but they should also be much quicker to rebuild.

Regarding tank speed, I'd support a substantial increase to maximum speed so that tanks could traverse the map much faster when they spawn in or just need to get somewhere. However, this should be balanced by acceleration, which should be decent for lighter tanks but very slow for heavy tanks, so it isn't a pure "get hit and run away scot-free" mechanic, and aiming while at top speed should be borderline impossible to compensate. The goal is to minimize boring downtime rather than turn tanks into killer racecars.

With all that in place, they might even be able to (gasp) lower the ammo carried by each vehicle, which would further reduce camping and force tankers into the fray. Okay, sure, they might just roll to the nearest resupply, top off, and then run back to their camping spot. But that's Battlefield for you. As much as people talk up BF4, tank-sniping is still present there as well.

Selfishness yes. Misconception, not so much. I think that most of the tank campers tried ptfo in tanks and but just got murked and it’s these negative experiences that are keeping a lot of them from ptfo

In every half hour I spend aggressively tanking on average I run out of ammo once. It just takes a little planning and ammo management

I agree about the locations of the supply stations. Imo they should be on objectives so as to provide an incentive for tanks to take and to defend them. It would also mean that tanks would need to make fairly regular trips to objectives either friendly or hostiles so they can resupply, which would inherently get them more involved. Placing supply stations at objectives would also reward tanks for ptfo as they can resupply en-route whilst cutting the time they spend making their way to resupply stations, during which they’re usually taken out of the action

Tbh tho I think you’re overestimating the impact of ammo attrition on tanks. The fact is that some tankers just aren’t very good and the campers don’t care to practice.
    And I mean people have been telling noobs to watch good players play since launch and most of them probably haven’t bothered seeing as the abundance of campers hasn’t diminished

I wouldn’t be against them listening to your suggestion on top speed. I can see the benefits and like it for that and rn I’m just seeing whether or not I can think of any downsides.
    One possible issue is thank if a heavy gets attacked by a few assaults and he can reverse in a straight line for a while then with the top speed buff he could potentially just zip away. That said tho when I’m in a heavy tank and get ambushed I do feel that the tank’s top speed is a bit too low so with some moderation I’d definitely be for it
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1811 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You'd think it would be fairly straight forward to have someone have a look at the obvious issue of really bad resupply point placements?
  • mf_shro0m
    edited August 22
    You'd think it would be fairly straight forward to have someone have a look at the obvious issue of really bad resupply point placements?

It should be shouldn’t it.
    They stopped listening months ago and an ex-Dice employee said himself that the higher ups just don’t listen to feedback or suggestions. Hopefully that’ll change

Tbh I just don’t know how tf the creative leads got their jobs. It’s just astonishing