BF5' gunplay is pretty good; good building blocks for future bf titles.

1235»

Comments

• Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 wrote: »
    (Quote)

The game didn't do a great job of explaining how the guns worked, though most games don't really explain gun mechanics so it's not a huge failing on DICE's part or anything. I don't think the gunplay was that intuitive but it was certainly fun once you figured it out. That's one thing BFV has going for it, the gunplay is pretty intuitive in general.

Yeah DICE didn't do a good job explaining it but some of the gamechangers like Xfactor made the whole situation far worse and it became ridiculous at the end. You had and still have people believing all gunfights in BF1 are completely rng and there is no skill. If DICE actually used people that knew what they were talking about as gamechangers, I think the perception of BF1s gunplay would have been vastly different than it is now.

Well dice did have two elite players on their staff, drunkkze and rela so they knew something. Both were elite players that have been on record saying they didn't like the feel of bf1 gunplay and we're trying to determine ways to make the next bf satisfying in the gunplay Dept.

As far as bf1 gunplay, it was not well received when the game first game out even compared to prior games. People just didn't like the feel. I don't blame them . The gunplay doesn't feel satisfying for the most part. SLRs do but the rest really don't.

Game is more fun to play overall. That's my take away from it but shooting tne guns, meh for me.
  • Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    One thing I like about bf1 is that your gun was ready at all times. That's an aspect of the gunplay I like. Canceling reloads was much faster and fluid. You can shoot better after sprinting or even when you're shot.

In bfv, when you're shot and hot, recoil increases. When you sprint and come to an abrupt stop, recoil increases, reload cancels are slower than bf1 , getting up from prone, your gun has to get ready in bf5 , as oppose to nearly or always ready in bf1. Ads speed in general seem to be faster in bf1

Stuff like that I give to bf1.
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1276 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    All the previous titles were good building blocks......Dice chose to ignore those lessons and lost money as a result.
  • mf_shro0m
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Pelliy wrote: »
    bran1986 wrote: »
    (Quote)

The game didn't do a great job of explaining how the guns worked, though most games don't really explain gun mechanics so it's not a huge failing on DICE's part or anything. I don't think the gunplay was that intuitive but it was certainly fun once you figured it out. That's one thing BFV has going for it, the gunplay is pretty intuitive in general.

Yeah DICE didn't do a good job explaining it but some of the gamechangers like Xfactor made the whole situation far worse and it became ridiculous at the end. You had and still have people believing all gunfights in BF1 are completely rng and there is no skill. If DICE actually used people that knew what they were talking about as gamechangers, I think the perception of BF1s gunplay would have been vastly different than it is now.

Well dice did have two elite players on their staff, drunkkze and rela so they knew something. Both were elite players that have been on record saying they didn't like the feel of bf1 gunplay and we're trying to determine ways to make the next bf satisfying in the gunplay Dept.

As far as bf1 gunplay, it was not well received when the game first game out even compared to prior games. People just didn't like the feel. I don't blame them . The gunplay doesn't feel satisfying for the most part. SLRs do but the rest really don't.

Game is more fun to play overall. That's my take away from it but shooting tne guns, meh for me.

Yeh I stopped playing BFI two weeks post-launch because the gunplay sucked
  • VVaxDaddy
    132 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Unfortunately I don't think they're entirely separable. If Dice is committed to big open battlefield without decent cover between objectives I think you need some kind of spread mechanic, otherwise you're going to get the stagnant map flow and movement that is complained about in bfv. You may also be able to play with damage drop offs and btk but we saw how that went last time where the community refused to even try it.

For me SMGs are the only weapon type that I think I enjoy more in bfv. That has more to do with the headshot mechanics than weapon mechanics, though less spread AIDS in hitting multiple headshots. Even that is counteracted often by their combination of stupid spread and damage drop off balancing.

SLRs, pistols, and shotguns are more fun in bf1 for me. LMGs and ARs (all 2 of them in bf1) are pretty much the same in terms of enjoyment. Snipers are pretty much even as well, preferring the easier headshot vs sweet spot mechanic but then also feeling that there's too little sway on high powered scopes and that snipers are too terrible at mid-range kills due to every other weapon killing too fast and easily.

The biggest things I'd like continued from bfv gunplay is the headshot mechanic, point stack timer, no sweet spot, and no suppression. Everything else is too simplistic to allow for decent balance and game flow between classes in a large scale battles game.
  • mf_shro0m
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VVaxDaddy wrote: »

Unfortunately I don't think they're entirely separable. If Dice is committed to big open battlefield without decent cover between objectives I think you need some kind of spread mechanic, otherwise you're going to get the stagnant map flow and movement that is complained about in bfv. You may also be able to play with damage drop offs and btk but we saw how that went last time where the community refused to even try it.

For me SMGs are the only weapon type that I think I enjoy more in bfv. That has more to do with the headshot mechanics than weapon mechanics, though less spread AIDS in hitting multiple headshots. Even that is counteracted often by their combination of stupid spread and damage drop off balancing.

SLRs, pistols, and shotguns are more fun in bf1 for me. LMGs and ARs (all 2 of them in bf1) are pretty much the same in terms of enjoyment. Snipers are pretty much even as well, preferring the easier headshot vs sweet spot mechanic but then also feeling that there's too little sway on high powered scopes and that snipers are too terrible at mid-range kills due to every other weapon killing too fast and easily.

The biggest things I'd like continued from bfv gunplay is the headshot mechanic, point stack timer, no sweet spot, and no suppression. Everything else is too simplistic to allow for decent balance and game flow between classes in a large scale battles game.

I think the way forwards for snipers would be to have sweet spots at 10-40m and 10-70m on the BAs depending on their damage output whilst increasing the sway on higher power sights. This would allow more recons to ptfo and discourage players from camping hundreds of metres away from hostiles.

Increasing the sway would also make steadying meaningful because tbh landing shots from 150m away unsteadied really isn’t much harder

Medics should get access to some of the ARs so they could operate on the larger maps which atm are pretty much devoid of medics. Adding some guns like the carcano don’t really help medics ptfo on the larger maps seeing as only like 1% of the community can reliably land headshots whilst under pressure at medium range and even fewer can at short range
  • TropicPoison
    2390 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think it would be better to get rid of these stupid gun trees completely that are some kind of thing ripped out of an RPG, no past Battlefield had this crap either and it didn't need it because everything usually had a counter to it.
  • JamieCurnock
    558 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think it would be better to get rid of these stupid gun trees completely that are some kind of thing ripped out of an RPG, no past Battlefield had this crap either and it didn't need it because everything usually had a counter to it.

Agreed. The upgrade tree is garbage. It's one of the many things cod looks to be getting right. Loads of attachments that affect the gun balance, movement speed, ads speed etc allowing for loads of different combination of load outs that you can really tailor to suit you. In bfv we get..... Basic gun with no upgrades or much better gun with all the upgrades.

I long for the customisation of bf4 again.
  • mrtwotimes
    733 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Can someone define gun play as per this thread?   A lot of the things mentioned have nothing to do with gun performance and play.
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    476 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Gunplay is one of the things the game does ok (when netcode and all the other fators allow it), I personally enjoyed supression and stuff though.