Heres a pro tip for pilots

2»

Comments

• ChickenTheTank
    271 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    RamFrog wrote: »
    (Quote)
    I think that the spotting flares are better than the small bombs on the fighters. Just drop them on the objectives that your team is trying to take and you get quite nice amount of points for assists and such.

Yea, I replaced spotting flares with bombs a while ago on one of my fighters a while ago. I'm switching them back today.

I used to be able to help my team push objectives by keeping bombers away, and letting everyone see where everyone is. Now i keep bombers away, and deal like 80 damage to 1 target every minute. Way less effective...

Spotting fighters FTW!
  • GhostsOfWar119
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Pro Tip- Don't crash the plane, after you take off In the air and lose control Of It! :D
  • Matty101yttam
    895 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 25
    Zviko0 said:
    Spotting is like repairing, there's almost no point to it for the player, spent whole games spotting and repairing i played one game between 2 tanks repairing non-stop the whole game on breakthrough, finished those games close to the bottom.

This is the problem with BF community. All they see is their score at the end of the round. The truth is, you can sit at one flag whole game, defend it and spot all game and be last and you were still very very useful. Even more than that sniper who went 20-0 and had no objective score.
    Not really, see planes are actually useless, they fly over kill people then those people get revived.
    If i'm not doing it for my points, then i'm doing it for someone elses, because otherwise i'm actually better off just throwing away the spotting kit all together and getting another class. 
    ANYTHING else is more useful than a plane doing a strafing run while your standing there waiting to get shot and hoping you pilots have: ammo, time, correct strafing angle to get all the enemy needed.

I mean i ACTUALLY do the teamwork stuff(and don't just complain about how others don't do teamwork to help me) and i'm saying its not rewarding gameplay, your either staring at the back of someones tank bored af or staring at a bunch of enemy for 5 minutes waiting for pilots to get their act together while i could be having fun shooting those guys and moving on.

(Also i'm talking about the spotting scope in regards to gameplay not the flare...scope gives the 3d spots that pilots love).
  • Zviko0
    1624 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    Not really, see planes are actually useless, they fly over kill people then those people get revived.
    If i'm not doing it for my points, then i'm doing it for someone elses, because otherwise i'm actually better off just throwing away the spotting kit all together and getting another class. 
    ANYTHING else is more useful than a plane doing a strafing run while your standing there waiting to get shot and hoping you pilots have: ammo, time, correct strafing angle to get all the enemy needed.

I mean i ACTUALLY do the teamwork stuff(and don't just complain about how others don't do teamwork to help me) and i'm saying its not rewarding gameplay, your either staring at the back of someones tank bored af or staring at a bunch of enemy for 5 minutes waiting for pilots to get their act together while i could be having fun shooting those guys and moving on.

(Also i'm talking about the spotting scope in regards to gameplay not the flare...scope gives the 3d spots that pilots love).

This thread might be about pilots but don't forget that there are other 28 people on your team that also see your spots. This is off topic but since you mentioned it...

And you don't need to only spot. You have a rifle don't you? Sitting on objecitve A from start to finish, spotting, sniping and confronting anyone who tries to take A is the most useful thing you can do in a Battlefield game. Even if you finish last you were one of the most useful players in the team. You made sure that objective A is safe and while doing that you even got some kills, assists, spotting assists and even if you just spotted someone and you or anyone else couldn't kill him, maybe someone still saw him and knew their position. So again, you were very helpful.

Stop looking at your stats and stop thinking about others' stats too. If you play to win, play to win. Not for points. Like at start of the match. Don't sit at the closest objective till it's taken. Go directly to the farthest one, preferably the one at the middle. That would instantly drop you down the scoreboard but it would also instantly make you more useful than anyone who stayed at the closest objective because all of those are playing for points. You play to win.
  • Matty101yttam
    895 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zviko0 said:
    (Quote)

This thread might be about pilots but don't forget that there are other 28 people on your team that also see your spots. This is off topic but since you mentioned it...

And you don't need to only spot. You have a rifle don't you? Sitting on objecitve A from start to finish, spotting, sniping and confronting anyone who tries to take A is the most useful thing you can do in a Battlefield game. Even if you finish last you were one of the most useful players in the team. You made sure that objective A is safe and while doing that you even got some kills, assists, spotting assists and even if you just spotted someone and you or anyone else couldn't kill him, maybe someone still saw him and knew their position. So again, you were very helpful.

Stop looking at your stats and stop thinking about others' stats too. If you play to win, play to win. Not for points. Like at start of the match. Don't sit at the closest objective till it's taken. Go directly to the farthest one, preferably the one at the middle. That would instantly drop you down the scoreboard but it would also instantly make you more useful than anyone who stayed at the closest objective because all of those are playing for points. You play to win.
    Just as i said, shooting the enemy is more useful to your team than spotting the enemy, spotting is pointless if you can just shoot them yourself, any situation where you can't shoot them means they were visible for such a short time you would never have time to get the scope out so unless your hard scoping nonstop you'll never get those guys anyhow.
    And also as i said, i do play these roles instead of complaining to others in forums that other people won't make my game easier by spotting enemies for them, i AM the guy repairing tanks and spotting and it's trash gameplay, no fun at all. And also just for the record i am the guy who actually covers teammates when they move or initiates movement to draw shots in unknown territory, i also cover medics revives etc(and i manage to kill the enemy before they kill anyone as opposed to the majority who wait till bodies start stacking up). I am also the guy who shoots ppl before they melee you(because it seems most people can't spot an enemy amongst friendlies), i am also the guy that runs in front of an enemy tank to drop ammo crates at the feet of assaults trying to get that last panzer in.
    You'll have to trust me when i say i'm one of THE most teamwork oriented players in bf and i'm saying this from experience...spotting and repairing SUCK for the players filling those roles and it's more fun just playing something else. That's not to say people shouldn't do it, its just that other people need to understand why(including devs) so that it can be improved.

As with planes being so pointless it then becomes hard to be sympathetic when it sounds simply like a bunch of flying kill farmers who want an easy mode game temporarily killing the enemy to increase their stats while not actually having much impact on the game overall...talking about playing for the team while wanting people to sacrifice actual useful kits for recon who already don't shoot fast enough then slowing down more for spots while becoming easy targets.

So rather than complaining about people not doing the things you want even though its no fun to them how bout moving the discussion on to how it can be fixed, my suggestion would be:
    Give pilots an acknowledge system so that teammates know if they are actually being used by the pilots and if a pilot is with it, just like the revive system where meds can spot downed players to let them know they are coming. Also give squad leaders the option(maybe similar to plane acknowledgements) to allow a recon to adjust incoming arty/rockets in real time, then give recon assists for those rockets.

Those two options alone would make spotting more fun and make the players feel like they're part of the team rather than simply giving other players a good time at the detriment of their own.
  • Hawxxeye
    5381 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Give pilots an acknowledge system so that teammates know if they are actually being used by the pilots and if a pilot is with it, just like the revive system where meds can spot downed players to let them know they are coming. Also give squad leaders the option(maybe similar to plane acknowledgements) to allow a recon to adjust incoming arty/rockets in real time, then give recon assists for those rockets.

Those two options alone would make spotting more fun and make the players feel like they're part of the team rather than simply giving other players a good time at the detriment of their own.
    Yes it would had been nice if there was a UI option for interation between the spotters and the air support. Dice really neglected improving the tactical communication in these games. So far the best alternative to that are the voice communications and the chat box (which is taking time to write at and is often spamed by comrose commands and ragers).
  • StealthAria
    288 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Zviko0 said:
    (Quote)

Just as i said, shooting the enemy is more useful to your team than spotting the enemy, spotting is pointless if you can just shoot them yourself, any situation where you can't shoot them means they were visible for such a short time you would never have time to get the scope out so unless your hard scoping nonstop you'll never get those guys anyhow.
    And also as i said, i do play these roles instead of complaining to others in forums that other people won't make my game easier by spotting enemies for them, i AM the guy repairing tanks and spotting and it's trash gameplay, no fun at all. And also just for the record i am the guy who actually covers teammates when they move or initiates movement to draw shots in unknown territory, i also cover medics revives etc(and i manage to kill the enemy before they kill anyone as opposed to the majority who wait till bodies start stacking up). I am also the guy who shoots ppl before they melee you(because it seems most people can't spot an enemy amongst friendlies), i am also the guy that runs in front of an enemy tank to drop ammo crates at the feet of assaults trying to get that last panzer in.
    You'll have to trust me when i say i'm one of THE most teamwork oriented players in bf and i'm saying this from experience...spotting and repairing SUCK for the players filling those roles and it's more fun just playing something else. That's not to say people shouldn't do it, its just that other people need to understand why(including devs) so that it can be improved.

As with planes being so pointless it then becomes hard to be sympathetic when it sounds simply like a bunch of flying kill farmers who want an easy mode game temporarily killing the enemy to increase their stats while not actually having much impact on the game overall...talking about playing for the team while wanting people to sacrifice actual useful kits for recon who already don't shoot fast enough then slowing down more for spots while becoming easy targets.

So rather than complaining about people not doing the things you want even though its no fun to them how bout moving the discussion on to how it can be fixed, my suggestion would be:

Planes can have incredible effect on the flow of a battle, even the fighters.
    Bombers can easily wipe entire objectives or decimate armor.  Even if a Medic runs in and starts reviving, they can't get everyone back up and it takes them a moment to get up even the few they can, infantry can easily then push in and keep those revives from happening. Same for armor, it takes a while for them to repair back up and they're guaranteed to have part damage that won't repair from the outside, if they still even have a repair monkey left alive to repair, otherwise it forces them to limp back to a resupply or get finished off by ground forces.
    Fighters can do just as much if not more than a bomber.  The guns can be just as effective as bombs in open areas but have the advantage of allowing an immediate follow up, the British fighters even get bombs and rockets that can single-strafe armor and level buildings or clear a path.
    The real kicker is that planes get really nice spotting tools that let those on the ground really shine.  Their flares work just like Scout's, but can be deployed at significantly higher altitudes and don't advertise anyone's position.  Meanwhile the camera is a wide angle spotting scope that can instantly 3D spot entire wide swathes of the map or paint everything on an objective.  Even without either though, planes can still fly over and mark problem areas for their squad, or even make brief callouts in chat.

The point of a spotting scope isn't to mark targets you could easily take out yourself, but rather those you can't.  If you only see 1 enemy infantry, go ahead and just take him out, but when you see armor or a group, that's a good time to start spotting.
    Even against a single infantry though, the spotting scope still has some cheeky reasons to be used.  In addition to spotting targets, the scope also has a range finder you can use to get the exact distance to your target so you can ensure you hit your mark and don't just chase them off.  It can also see through many pieces of cover, so you might discover that what you thought was just 1 guy was actually a whole squad, ready to revive your kill and then take you out.  Heck, you might hit your mark perfectly and still not kill him, in which case the spotting would let your team know he's there even if you fail to finish him off.
  • Hawxxeye
    5381 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 26
    ^The problem witht he spotting scope vs the flare is that the spotting scope is giving a way too tiny icon over the enemy that mind even be missed in the graphics bloat, I think it cannot even be seen by pilots from far away unless the target is a vehicle.
    The flare meanwhile gives a nice fat blood red cyrcle that anyone can see well.
  • ElliotLH
    8208 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 26
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    ^The problem witht he spotting scope vs the flare is that the spotting scope is giving a way too tiny icon over the enemy that mind even be missed in the graphics bloat, I think it cannot even be seen by pilots from far away unless the target is a vehicle.

This. The scope is fine for vehicle spotting but you can't beat a big juicy flare being fired over a busy objective.

A scout was flaring all the objectives in the match I just played and it was lovely.
  • StealthAria
    288 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    I've never seen this big red circle you speak of, not unless you're referring to the flare itself, in which case that's really not the best thing to go by.  Not only might that be an enemy flare over your own troops, it might not even be over anything.  You can check using the map, but at that point they might as well have been using the scope so they didn't need to worry about ammo.  Just check your map periodically to see if there's any red markers or if your team is stalled somewhere, then use freelook and the chase camera to find the best angle of attack.
    The 3d spotting is easy enough to fix, you just need to turn down the distance settings on icons.  The default settings make ally icons disappear beyond 50m or so and enemy icons don't fare much better.  Still doesn't fix that the game doesn't like moving at high speeds, but you'll at least be able to see the markers for anything being spotted in your FoV.
  • ElliotLH
    8208 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I've never seen this big red circle you speak of, not unless you're referring to the flare itself, in which case that's really not the best thing to go by.  Not only might that be an enemy flare over your own troops, it might not even be over anything.  You can check using the map, but at that point they might as well have been using the scope so they didn't need to worry about ammo.  Just check your map periodically to see if there's any red markers or if your team is stalled somewhere, then use freelook and the chase camera to find the best angle of attack.
    The 3d spotting is easy enough to fix, you just need to turn down the distance settings on icons.  The default settings make ally icons disappear beyond 50m or so and enemy icons don't fare much better.  Still doesn't fix that the game doesn't like moving at high speeds, but you'll at least be able to see the markers for anything being spotted in your FoV.

When a friendly scout fires their flare any marked enemy has a red circle over their heads which has an icon for their class. It's unfortunately often a rare occurrence.
  • eorzkmien
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Go ahead and jump in a plane then, see how that works out for you. With visibility being what it is and infantry not spotting targets for you, you'll spend most of your time circling the map without hitting anything before you almost inevitably get shot down by a fighter on your tail, unless, of course, you go after him first.
    The problem isn't pilots not wanting to help their team, it's that there is a near total disconnect between aerial and ground combat in BFV, in addition to its vehicle balance being fundamentally flawed.