Heres how to fix tanks

Comments

• Kalinox
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I've spent far too much time with WoT and the like, but here's my optimistic view.

Armor
    Tanks should have increased and a more detailed armor layout, with weakspots for soldiers and other vehicles to exploit.
      - front armor (hull and turret) should be tough to get through
      - sides and rear of both the hull and turret should be much weaker.
    Tracks should be easier to damage by infantry explosives.
      - this would open the tank up for repeated attacks, being unable to defend their weakpoints.
    When fighting other tanks, angling the armor (in effect making it thicker) should be a part of the gameplay.

Armaments
    Hull MG are mostly fine as they are
    Top MG could have the hatch infront of the gunners torso, making them a bit tougher frontally.
    Main gun rate of fire should be reduced, but the effectiveness of each shot improved (excluding autocannons).
    Against tanks: HE should do concussive damage from the point of impact within a sphere of influence (could be it already does this, but it's poorly communicated).
    Against infantry and other vehicles: HE should be able to hit infantry more reliably.
    Against tanks: AP should have more penetration stats (thickness and minimum angle for richocets).
    Successfull impact of either should do damage to crew and modules.
    AP being able to do the highest damage to single modules and crew, but be harder to land, and HE spreading its damage to every crew member and modules within its sphere of influence.

Gameplan
    Aiming at different section would then become a part of your strategy.
    Damage to the crew compartment would increase the risk of disabling the tank by killing its crew, making the tank open for capture by your team.
    Information on armor and armaments should be easy to review in the vehicle section within Company menuI've spent far too much time with WoT and the like, but here's my optimistic view.

• DingoKillr
    4356 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    DingoKillr wrote: »
    No, buffing armour is not the easy fix to bring tanks closer. It will still be deadly near flags but it means tanks camping at range becomes near invincible. 

I take it you missed the bit about less tanks camping at range. Less tanks doing it = less of a problem.

Bare in mind that every time DICE decides to tinker with a few things to fix just one issue, more issues are created.

And of course they wouldn’t be “near invincible”. Don’t be ridiculous. It will just finally require a tiny bit of teamwork. That’s the way it should be.

Ok so DICE buff armour so it is now 5/4 Piat, 6/5 panzerfaust and AT cannon and tank shells are now what 5 or 6. You have emergency repairs and glancing blows so you can added extra shots, along with easy escape. I think that is pretty strong for a tank sitting 200m away.

That boost is not going to encourage many to move forward when being at range becomes more appealing.

If people want tanks closer follow the example with guns add spread to shoots or boost short range damage.
  • DukeSan27
    1297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Buffing armor is not a solution. It will severely affect Tank v Tank combat. Two tanks slugging it out with limited ammo will not be a pretty sight. 
  • Marine_IraHayes2
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    The main problem of the tanks in BFV is that they are already a shambling clunky mess at 100% and that they become even more of a shambling mess when they get systematic damage.This is made worse by the lack of a safe overhead anti infantry turret for all but 2 tanks..I can deal with assaults weightlessly running and sprinting while carrying over 30kg worth of explosives at once but the main issue of mobility and chunkiness is what is ruining tanks for aggressive play

And to think they spent all that time and money developing Little Boy when they could have just dropped an assault player on Hiroshima.
  • Turban_Legend80
    4753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    No, buffing armour is not the easy fix to bring tanks closer. It will still be deadly near flags but it means tanks camping at range becomes near invincible. 

I take it you missed the bit about less tanks camping at range. Less tanks doing it = less of a problem.

Bare in mind that every time DICE decides to tinker with a few things to fix just one issue, more issues are created.

And of course they wouldn’t be “near invincible”. Don’t be ridiculous. It will just finally require a tiny bit of teamwork. That’s the way it should be.

Ok so DICE buff armour so it is now 5/4 Piat, 6/5 panzerfaust and AT cannon and tank shells are now what 5 or 6. You have emergency repairs and glancing blows so you can added extra shots, along with easy escape. I think that is pretty strong for a tank sitting 200m away.

That boost is not going to encourage many to move forward when being at range becomes more appealing.

If people want tanks closer follow the example with guns add spread to shoots or boost short range damage.

So if weak tanks causes them to camp on the edges, like you all keep claiming, please explain why stronger tanks would keep them there?

Unless ALL BFV tankers are natural campers (would do it no matter how strong the tank was) then the problem will be reduced.

In other games tanks are effectively harder to kill at range, yet most push flags because they are stronger. It’s like people have forgotten that.
  • Turban_Legend80

Teamwork means nothing when tanks easily camp 200 meters behind the kill zone for the other team. Until that is addressed, every nerf or buff where tanks are involved will have tons of unintended consequences.

What “unintended consequences” will result from buffing tanks armour?
    Tanks being harder to take out is the intended consequence.
  • Hawxxeye
    7945 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

So if weak tanks causes them to camp on the edges, like you all keep claiming, please explain why stronger tanks would keep them there?

Unless ALL BFV tankers are natural campers (would do it no matter how strong the tank was) then the problem will be reduced.

In other games tanks are effectively harder to kill at range, yet most push flags because they are stronger. It’s like people have forgotten that.
    It is about allowing tankers to have fun closer instead of mind numbingly shooting from a safe vantage point.
    Even if even in the previous games a tank dies less at longer ranges most people chose to play the more entertaining way.
  • DingoKillr
    4356 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Who is all? I want more gadgets option for Infantry to break up the numbers that carry only AT launcher. Tanks have offence and defence, strengthing defence is not going to automatically make players who camp move forward. That is why I also suggested changes to offence which is more likely to get tankers to move forward.

Yeh people camp so why make it easier? 

No, it is you who have forgotten or ignore what happened in past games.
    Lets look at other games BF3/4 had lock-on AT for both Infantry and Tanks, helicopters and even MLRS to deal with campers and secondly not every engineer had to carry a RPG like BFV as they had AA launchers or other options.
    BF1 had plenty complaining about campers, but not every AT infantry had to carry a launcher and launchers was not easy to use, so tanks could move forward. Plus there was effective long range but it was less common as you needed to stay out of the action. 
  • the_Aherus
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm agressive tank player and I don't think that tanks are weak in BF V. The problem is, it's hard to master gameplay on them because of all the system DICE created (ammo capacity, systematical damage, etc.). Most of players are casuals nowadays and they don't want or can't to adapt to this. 32 vs 32 isn't competetive game mode with a lot of random players.

As an Alliance tank player on Rotterdam I developed a strategy to push C flag. Almost always there was a killing farm for me and a lot of enemy wanted me to play WoT instead. After about month later I saw more people to start playing like this. Imo most of players don't know how to play a tank to be effective. That's it. 
  • Hawxxeye
    7945 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm agressive tank player and I don't think that tanks are weak in BF V. The problem is, it's hard to master gameplay on them because of all the system DICE created (ammo capacity, systematical damage, etc.). Most of players are casuals nowadays and they don't want or can't to adapt to this. 32 vs 32 isn't competetive game mode with a lot of random players.

As an Alliance tank player on Rotterdam I developed a strategy to push C flag. Almost always there was a killing farm for me and a lot of enemy wanted me to play WoT instead. After about month later I saw more people to start playing like this. Imo most of players don't know how to play a tank to be effective. That's it. 
    Yes one can do some good killfarm if they play it safe with a tank.
    However having to retreat to the closest tank depot each time  any considerable damage was taken in order to avoid being caught with the pants down on the next engangement is not very fun gameplay.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1411 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

lol No they don't.
  • BogMogg
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Tanks are fine.

What changed from previous games?

Slower tanks - key to the era gameplay. Leads to camping.
    Less thought out cover for tanks - lots of villages with flat fields between them, less cover to hide. More trenches to ambush.
    Lower visibility - ambushers stay well hidden and are quite dedicated to their ambush, I find, compared to previous games.
    Driver MG and guns are weaker - takes more effort to kill infantry. If you are caught out, you die with tank.
    Ammo - limited supply, drivers want to not drive 5 mins to next ammo point, may as well camp base. Support should resupply tanks, to a point.
    Infantry support - Engagement ranges of tanks are much more long range. Never does an infantry player help the tank with repairs. I have been attacked when surrounded by friendlies who ignore the guys standing next to them, blowing up my tank. Maybe linked to visibility, maybe linked to how bad the players are these days.
    Tanks spawns limited - dont want to die and wait a year for next tank.
    No tank maps - where can I get my fill and experience, like in Golmud, in infantry centric maps?
    Bombers - own tanks, unless awful pilot. No hiding, too slow to run. 
  • BogMogg
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    In summary, cant fix any of these, without it being stupid for WW2. 
    Some games I do really well, others I don't. Gone are the days of winning every game in a tank for your team. Maybe this is a good thing? (I dont think it is, but have considered others)
  • THERAMPAGE_ci0h
    262 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2019
    Just patch the "shaking" barrel while zooming ( as it is in the prologue or " the last tiger " solo missions ) so when you move you can stay on your target. 
    The tanks in previous opus were not like this... 
    IT SHOULD BE SOMETHING LIKE THIS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vVKrVCJnIA
    Separate camera from turret turn was an anti-fun idea
    Not adjust the health of the tank in return of all this handicap is **** ... 
    TANK ARE'NT FUN ANYMORE ... 

• Hawxxeye
    edited August 2019
    BogMogg said:
    In summary, cant fix any of these, without it being stupid for WW2. 
    Some games I do really well, others I don't. Gone are the days of winning every game in a tank for your team. Maybe this is a good thing? (I dont think it is, but have considered others)
    We are way past concerns of things being stupid for ww2 in BFV
    In ww2 2 half the soldiers of both factions  did not carry at all times 2 to 3 AT rocket launchers
  • ChickenTheTank
    834 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Teamwork means nothing when tanks easily camp 200 meters behind the kill zone for the other team. Until that is addressed, every nerf or buff where tanks are involved will have tons of unintended consequences.

No thank you. Tanks camping their spawn are already a nuisance. Buffing them without addressing this will lead to spawn camping tanks being literally invincible, rather than annoying. That's your unintended consequence.
  • Hawxxeye
    edited August 2019

No thank you. Tanks camping their spawn are already a nuisance. Buffing them without addressing this will lead to spawn camping tanks being literally invincible, rather than annoying. That's your unintended consequence.
    Faster tanks with wider low and high turret angles as well as protected top mg then.
    This means tanks that can afford to take more risks and defend themselves better from nearby infantry
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • Turban_Legend80
    (Quote)
    lol No they don't.

Lol yes they do.
    See, we can both do useless posts, and it gets us nowhere.

I see far more tanks pushing flags than camping in BF4, even on Golmud. So you are wrong.
  • ChickenTheTank
    834 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    lol No they don't.

Lol yes they do.

I see far more tanks pushing flags than camping in BF4, even on Golmud. So you are wrong.

I have to agree with @CHAMMOND1992. In BF3 and 4, it was usually more likely to see tanks hanging back behind points, or between points, rather than being on the capture points themselves.

You would often see the anti- infantry tanks all over flags though
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1411 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    lol No they don't.

Lol yes they do.

No, you just have selective memory. The entire purpose of having ammo depots for vehicles is so they couldn't camp in one spot forever. This has been explicitly said by the Dev team.