p r e p a r i n g

Campiclatch
postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Origin game updates have completely turned me off to BFV. Every update, no matter how small the download is, needs to prepare 30-40 GB of game files. I have great internet speed, but not great read/write speed. The preparing phase takes around an hour, sometimes for an update that downloads in seconds. In fact, I think it would be faster to uninstall and reinstall everytime. Has anyone found a way around the preparing phase? 

Comments

• ObamaKnew
    101 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have posted about this on more than one occasion and contacted EA support. I have a 100mbps plan and currently the patch is downloading at 3.5mbps, it's absolutely ridiculous.

I can download a 50GB game from Steam three times over in the time it takes to get a patch through Origin.
  • KIIXXVI
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They posted about this earlier in the day.

• g0merpile
    753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    KIIXXVI said:

This must be for those that have lower budget storage. Myself, NVME drive, this game is updated in less then 10 mins
  • vanowm
    130 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm guessing the update is scanning files for changes, it's 190 files in 74gb (after the update), on NVME drive it would take less then a minute read every single file and should not take more then another minute to calculate checksum for each file. Why the hell does it take over 15 minutes to prepare? Is it scanning entire PC for something? It IS faster just reinstall the damn game...
  • SirBobdk
    5319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Took 25 min to reinstall the game.
  • KIIXXVI
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yea took me about 30 mins for Prep & another 30 mins for the 22GB download.
  • HyLite
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think "preparing" = Let's see what you have and we'll replace only what you need.
    This trumps (no pun intended) actually downloading the entire game (~40Gb).
    I think "preparing" doesn't have any data cost to you since no data actually downloads.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jesus christ. When I saw this thread I didn't take is seriously. Today I decided to install the patch and it has been 10 minutes(or maybe more) and it still is preparing.

Is BFV the worst triple A title ever made ? 
  • KITTvsKARR
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jesus christ. When I saw this thread I didn't take is seriously. Today I decided to install the patch and it has been 10 minutes(or maybe more) and it still is preparing.

Not sure why you wouldn't take it seriously, it's in the patch notes that it'll take longer than normal because they've changed the file structure to make it easier going forward and you may find it quicker to reinstall.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Not sure why you wouldn't take it seriously, it's in the patch notes that it'll take longer than normal because they've changed the file structure to make it easier going forward and you may find it quicker to reinstall.
    Because I haven't seen the official announcement from EA(and they didn'T say anything too specific) and people usually exaggerate things online.

Anyways, I have 50mbit internet(around 4.8mb per sec) and reinstalling it would likely take longer.
  • DaManiac72
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Origin crashes once per 24 hours for me. Every time I try to check for an update it freezes or crashes. I need to force close it down every day and it has been like that since at least BFV release or maybe even since BF1, I can't remember since nothing in this game seems to work.
  • 5hadyBrady
    473 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    To all of the people who keep blaming this on hard drives, and recommend SSD's, I would just repeat what somebody else already said on this thread..... It is literally faster to download and install the game than it is to update it. It took me 2.5 hours to update the game yesterday, most of which was "prepairing" and "finalizing". It only takes me about 30 to 45 minutes to completely download and install this game using the same exact network and hardware. Something has been wrong with the Origin update system for years.
  • Cleaved
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    g0merpile said:
    KIIXXVI said:

This must be for those that have lower budget storage. Myself, NVME drive, this game is updated in less then 10 mins
    You are a liar or a troll.
  • Jinko_itx
    777 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Cleaved said:
    g0merpile said:
    KIIXXVI said:

You are a liar or a troll.
    actually I don't think he is lying, I have the Samsung 970 Plus 1TB and it took me less than 10 minutes....
  • XplosivFreak
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2019
    Havent played BFV for a while because of this Preparing state. If I want to play a game that I bought I just start it up and go play. If it needs update, fine I'll wait. But checking the whole game before updating is just big FU. No it wont take long with my specs but it kills my interest. I just go play something else that starts up immediately. Once I waited it out and the update took less than a minute when the preparing state took 15min. Happened again next day and have not touch it since today. Deleted BFV and won't be back soon. Just totally killed my interest in the game.
    Post edited by XplosivFreak on
  • ragnarok013
    3906 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Havent played BFV for a while because of this Preparing state. If I want to play a game that I bought I just start it up and go play. If it needs update, fine I'll wait. But checking the whole game before updating is just big FU. No it wont take long with my specs but it kills my interest. I just go play something else that starts up immediately. Once I waited it out and the update took less than a minute when the preparing state took 15min. Happened again next day and have not touch it since today. Deleted BFV and won't be back soon. Just totally killed my interest in the game.
    XplosivFreak running a repair instead of an update frequently bypasses the issue.
  • PronerKiller5000
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is once again relevant. 'preparing' requires insane amounts of disk space, which I don't have on the SSD drive that the game is installed on (which you'd think should not be an issue since you know, the full game is installed already). Because of this, I try the 'just reinstall the full game, it will be quicker' alternative provided by 'EA Help' themselves. This should be quicker, cause I can download at 45mb/sec, but guess what: Origin download speed is capped at sub-10mb/sec and often at a ridiculous 3.5mb/sec. Getting this update which is most likely a tiny file that I'd download in 5min on any other client, now takes me 3 hours or more...

When it will be finished I'll have to go to work and all my time reserved to play will be wasted, just because EA can't get their ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ client to work like any other decent alternative. Every time. Every update. Nice one.
  • bigdaddygonutz
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Log out and log in fixed it for me
  • JollyJester
    58 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Jesus Christ BF fans are the biggest cry babies, just let it download while you do something else. 
  • MOSSAD-RECRUITER
    415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think the preparing depends on your internet speed?