TOW Challenge: Deadly Treasures

Halcyon_Creed_N7
1539 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I get the feeling like someone slipped up and added an extra 0 to make it 5,000 score required, because that's excessively grindy. 500 resupplies at 10 points apiece is a little much. Or they're trying to force people to play Squad Conquest as the only fast alternative to this grind, because, IMO, melee kills in this game are way too few and far between. Been trying for 3 matches and haven't gotten a single one, because it's just not reliable enough and guns kill way too quickly for me to get the proper drop on someone. Going through my profile page it says I've only gotten 27 melee kills in 104 hours. That's about 1 melee kill every ~4 hours. So this single challenge should only take me 24 hours to complete lol.

Anyway, is the Panzerbuchse 39 even worth it? I hate the Boys, and only used it to level 4.

Comments

• Desyatnik_Pansy
    1484 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I get the feeling like someone slipped up and added an extra 0 to make it 5,000 score required, because that's excessively grindy. 500 resupplies at 10 points apiece is a little much. Or they're trying to force people to play Squad Conquest as the only fast alternative to this grind, because, IMO, melee kills in this game are way too few and far between. Been trying for 3 matches and haven't gotten a single one, because it's just not reliable enough and guns kill way too quickly for me to get the proper drop on someone. Going through my profile page it says I've only gotten 27 melee kills in 104 hours. That's about 1 melee kill every ~4 hours. So this single challenge should only take me 24 hours to complete lol.

Anyway, is the Panzerbuchse 39 even worth it? I hate the Boys, and only used it to level 4.
    Equip bayonet on a weapon (preferably Recon and use spot flares to find the best opponent to rush) and use that. I found that much quicker than trying to go for actual melee kills.

In my opinion though, the PB39 Is just a Boys with more ammo but slower firerate (even upgraded it's slower than Boys is without the upgrade) and reload (since unless you empty all shots, you have a long reload of each individual bullet). It deals a bit more damage but I don't really notice that anyway, and AFAIK The bullet velocity is better but equally haven't really noticed that either. Maybe it'll be worth equipping APCR For the increased damage if the velocity is better by default? I dunno.
  • DaManiac72
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    "Or they're trying to force people to play Squad Conquest as the only fast alternative to this grind"
    My thought as well. It seems like that happens all the time when it comes to ToW. They force people to play game modes, classes, vehicles that you do not even want to play to be able to unlock stuff. 
  • StealthAria
    576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2019
    5000 points from resupplying ammo? Actually goes pretty fast if you hang around the front lines and make full use of the AoE on your crates, even faster if you have your full squad in range chewing through ammo. And don't forget you can have 2 crates (1 down, 1 in your hands) and a supply drop active to farm resupplies.
    Any less than that and a dedicated Support could complete it in mere moments.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Equip bayonet on a weapon (preferably Recon and use spot flares to find the best opponent to rush) and use that. I found that much quicker than trying to go for actual melee kills.

In my opinion though, the PB39 Is just a Boys with more ammo but slower firerate (even upgraded it's slower than Boys is without the upgrade) and reload (since unless you empty all shots, you have a long reload of each individual bullet). It deals a bit more damage but I don't really notice that anyway, and AFAIK The bullet velocity is better but equally haven't really noticed that either. Maybe it'll be worth equipping APCR For the increased damage if the velocity is better by default? I dunno.
    These days I use only weapons with ability to equip bayonet. And I think I get at least a couple of successful charges per hour or so. 
  • ElliotLH
    9348 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    5000 points from resupplying ammo? Actually goes pretty fast if you hang around the front lines and make full use of the AoE on your crates, even faster if you have your full squad in range chewing through ammo. And don't forget you can have 2 crates (1 down, 1 in your hands) and a supply drop active to farm resupplies.

Unfortunately the AoE resupply doesnt work for the node. You get the points but there's no progression on the tracker. I can only get it to count by using pouches.
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    1020 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:

Unfortunately the AoE resupply doesnt work for the node. You get the points but there's no progression on the tracker. I can only get it to count by using pouches.
    I was disappointed to learn that during play yesterday, it counts if they interact with the crate I think but that might get you 50 points a game. I've taken to using crates even if I don't need ammo in the hope it helps get someone through it.

Got through this section using the stabbing method.
  • ElliotLH
    9348 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I was disappointed to learn that during play yesterday, it counts if they interact with the crate I think but that might get you 50 points a game. I've taken to using crates even if I don't need ammo in the hope it helps get someone through it.

Got through this section using the stabbing method.

It is a real shame. Didn't we have this before with med-crates? I'm sure it was the exact same thing where people needed to interact with it.

Yeah I went the stabby-stabby route too.
  • NLBartmaN
    4484 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:

Yeah 5000 is a lot without the AoE resupply.

I was at 2000 points and then decided to do the other path, without AoE you have to play insane amount of rounds as support, throwing pouches all round and might not make it in time.
  • ElliotLH
    edited September 2019
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    (Quote)

I was at 2000 points and then decided to do the other path, without AoE you have to play insane amount of rounds as support, throwing pouches all round and might not make it in time.

Yep it's a grind getting those 5000. It does make your thumb tired chucking those pouches at everyone you can too lol. Tricky contending with all the other supports going for it as well.
  • Desyatnik_Pansy
    1484 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    (Quote)

Yep it's a grind getting those 5000. It does make your thumb tired chucking those pouches at everyone you can too lol. Tricky contending with all the other supports going for it as well.
    I just tried to join squads who weren't really mobile but would sit there firing away all game, since it's double the points for squad resupplying. Getting a good start to the game spamming a few off at the very beginning also helps, got it down to about 1k per game so it wasn't so bad, just kinda dumb. Now, let's talk about the smoke barrage thing. xD
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    2630 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I skipped that path. I went the 6 melee kills route.  I got that in two games on break through.  Breakthrough is easy flanking for dogtags.  I was running around like a lunatic. ahahahahahah

• ElliotLH
    (Quote)
    I just tried to join squads who weren't really mobile but would sit there firing away all game, since it's double the points for squad resupplying. Getting a good start to the game spamming a few off at the very beginning also helps, got it down to about 1k per game so it wasn't so bad, just kinda dumb. Now, let's talk about the smoke barrage thing. xD

Think I left it on about 2k points so I might go back and finish that. Or maybe not since I don't need the XP anymore.

Dunno about you but getting the smoke barrages done is harder than the melee kills, and I wasnt looking forward to that at all.
  • Elephante33
    359 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree the bayonet route is the way, got all the kills needed in a single round of Grind
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    2630 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:
    (Quote)

Think I left it on about 2k points so I might go back and finish that. Or maybe not since I don't need the XP anymore.

Dunno about you but getting the smoke barrages done is harder than the melee kills, and I wasnt looking forward to that at all.
    You should of been in my squad.  Just need to be squad leader with decent enough squad that racks up the points to burn.  Heck I was pretty much waiting for the one minute cool down to drop another smoke barrage.  Plus smoke is pretty cheap.  Doesn't take long to accumulate them points.  But if your in a squad where they sit on like 60,000+ points and barely using it then its time to steal squad leader.
  • ElliotLH
    GRAW2ROBZ wrote: »
    (Quote)
    You should of been in my squad.  Just need to be squad leader with decent enough squad that racks up the points to burn.  Heck I was pretty much waiting for the one minute cool down to drop another smoke barrage.  Plus smoke is pretty cheap.  Doesn't take long to accumulate them points.  But if your in a squad where they sit on like 60,000+ points and barely using it then its time to steal squad leader.

I honestly wish I was. My experience was either squad leaders not spending the points (and not giving up squad lead) or being in solo in a squad. Fortunately I'm decent enough to rack up points on my own, but playing with people who are going for it makes things so much easier.
  • Desyatnik_Pansy
    ElliotLH said:
    (Quote)

I had no trouble doing it myself. It was hilarious though, I spent like three games in squads where I wasn't the leader and didn't get a single barrage. I then got SL Myself and did like 4 In one game, 5 In another and then the final one a bit later. I've seen so few SLs using them either when I'm in their squad, even when we've got like 35k points. I feel kinda bad for the other randoms, but then again in one of my later games as SL I used barrages as soon as we got the points for the randos, and yet they were still spamming "Request Order!" (note I was setting orders at all times as well). Like what more do you want. xD