Weekly Debrief

100% CPU usage - Question about performance

KingOfMyOwnMind
3 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Hello,

So I'm having a problem with bf5 performace causing my pc to get really hot during play, so i decided to download some tracker for temperatures/usages/fps so i could check if anything is wrong. After few minutes of playtime I immidiately noticed the cpu usage being 90-100% and the temperature of 80-85 degrees Celsius while gpu is jumping around 40%(playing on low-medium details). I asked one of my friends if those temperatures are normal and he suggested I should try aplying new thermal paste on cpu since my specs should handle the game pretty ok. I also thought of it might be caused by my new table because the pc is like placed/inserted inside of it and it might have a less space to breathe(side panels are like 2cm from walls but front and back is free), I don't know, I just thought it could be one off the reasons. 
I haven't seen a similiar discusion or anyone experience this problem so I'm asking for advice, what would you do? Thank you for any reply.

My specs:

i7-7700
gtx 1080ti
16gb RAM

Comments

• 287martin
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    What have you got cooling the cpu ? Standard fan that came with cpu or a bigger heatsink and fan ? Maybe just needs dust cleared out if it
  • Godmodegta
    330 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 9
    Also use some good thermal past.
  • KingOfMyOwnMind
    287martin said:
    What have you got cooling the cpu ? Standard fan that came with cpu or a bigger heatsink and fan ? Maybe just needs dust cleared out if it
    I have a standard decent sized fan and i recently cleaned my pc from all the dust.
  • Godmodegta
    330 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 9
    what your room temperature.
  • CSO7777
    1196 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    80 - 85 degrees is a lot, it will not destroy your CPU (but perhaps lower the lifespan in the long run).

If your CPU is temperature-throttling, it will show as cpu usage, but will lower performance drastically. I think you can use HWINFO to check whether the CPU temperature throttles. GPU-usage of 40% is too low (especially when getting low frames) and could indicate that the CPU gets too hot and throttles to keep the temperature down.

Try moving the PC to a place where it can 'breathe' freely and see if anything changes. And make sure the airflow inside the case is good enough, many cabinets do not really have that great of an airflow and mounting more fans (intake/outtake) could improve your situation (but makes the computer more noisy). Perhaps you can adjust the fan-curves in your bios and go for a more aggressive setting.
  • KingOfMyOwnMind
    Thanks for replies, will update tomorrow after aplying new thermal paste. Hopefully it will help.
  • zterrans
    152 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Make sure you dont overdo the thermal paste, had too much on before and my CPU acted like that. Stripped it and reapplied properly and the temps were tamed.
  • KrullBorg
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    among other things (bfv bugs, bfv performances, etc), there's a recent windows 10 bugged update that overload the cpu
  • KingOfMyOwnMind
    Seems like nothing has changed after repasting, still getting 85-90 degrees, other games i play like apex and heroes of the storm run ok with GPU using more power than CPU, I don't know what to think of other than getting better CPU
  • xKusagamix
    948 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 10
    Seems like nothing has changed after repasting, still getting 85-90 degrees, other games i play like apex and heroes of the storm run ok with GPU using more power than CPU, I don't know what to think of other than getting better CPU
    BFV's use a lot of CPU usage, by playing the game on low-medium with your GPU it will bottleneck the CPU because it produce way too much FPS for the CPU to handle, that's maybe why you see the GPU has a low usage. If you're playing with a 144hz monitor then i doubt that the CPU can handle all that load. Lower or Higher Graphic setting has nothing to do with the game physic because its processed by the CPU. 
    As for high temp, assuming you're using the Stock cooler, it's normal to get up to 90 degree Celsius while playing games like BFV, because you're alway at really high CPU usage. A lot of people complained that they also have really high temp while playing game with the Stock cooler for their i7 7700 also. It's piece of garbage that Intel provide to their users nowaday, thinner than the previous all aluminium stock cooler without the cooper base version, they gone dirt cheap and provide people with crap Stock cooler after Haswell generation.

• Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I tried using these options in my user.cfg, and they helped a fair bit. They're geared towards low end PCs, so keep that in mind.

Thread.MaxProcessorCount 8
    Thread.MaxProcessorCount 8 
    Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount 8
    RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2
  • TFBisquit
    1637 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    That CPU usage is too high and causes the high temps.
    As for cooling on air, get a good one like noctua nhd15s, you can use it in this and future builds.
    Cost some money but it's the best in air cooling.