This Week in Battlefield V

High Server Latency since 4.4 Patch

Comments

• DigitalHype
    774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    https://trello.com/c/NJmo7ctJ

Update on Trello, not coming till 4.6 later this month. So no hotfix. Pathetic once again from a so called AAA dev. DICE I do not ♥️ you anymore!

This is abysmal. It is unacceptable for a studio with the resources of EA/DICE to introduce a 30ms+ increase in latency across the board and then allow it to linger for nearly a month before they even attempt a fix.  This is the best EA/DICE can do with the highest priority and dedicated team?

30ms might not sound like much. But, when you combine this with the DICE/EA decision to only populate North America game servers in Oregon and Virginia (to save money) it compounds the problem. For example, I'm in a part of the southwestern us, where my best pings are to us-west servesr (located in Oregon) have gone from 40 to 70+ms. That is still playable. But, not great. But, the majority of US servers are us-east region, which is Virgina, that has gone from 65 to almost 100ms.

• DigitalHype
    774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    4.4 got lots of praise as a great update when it's the worst update yet?

Really confusing.
    Yep I find it weird that the patch got praise when the game has been utterly borked by the latency issues.

DICE are going to take another 3 weeks to fix it, which to be frank is a disgrace. We're going to take longer and get it right rubbish again, basically no one there has a clue how to fix it because the talent upped a left many moons a go.

DICE are in utter disarray and to be frank BF6 or BC3 has little hope in turning out well either.
    Couldn't agree more. I don't understand how anyone at DICE/EA can rationalize this behavior.
  • DigitalHype
    jroggs said:
    I've been looking into the prices for patching games, and while the info I can find is unclear and murky, it points to it being really expensive to put out patches on console due to certification. As in tens of thousands of dollars per patch each, for both Sony and Microsoft, just to drop a patch. Think about that in terms of sales. You're talking about literally thousands of games sold just to cover the costs of this one hotfix.

Make no mistake, this really sucks for us that the game is just going to be sitting broken indefinitely (as 4.6 currently doesn't have a date to my knowledge). But it makes sense from a business perspective. The positive word of mouth they gain from hotfixing this will evaporate when 4.6 breaks other things, while the negativity from leaving the latency unfixed is pretty much tolerable as we players largely cry and stamp our feet and then pretty much do nothing. So why through all that money away for something worthless to them?

They're totally lying that they need more time. But I get it.
    You could very well be right that it comes down to cost. But, that is no excuse. EA made 7.7 billion in revenue last year. I'm pretty sure they are doing just fine and should be able to eat a few dollars to maintain the status quo of game performance for their paying customers.

We're loyal paying customers. They have cut so many costs with the production and operation of BFV already. Yet the game wasn't cheaper. People are getting filthy rich at our expense. As a consumer we have to look out for ourselves the customer, not justify the corporate greed in the name of "business sense". If we provide no opposition to that, they will steamroll us. I'm voting with my wallet. It's clear they will listen to nothing else.
  • KrullBorg
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    https://trello.com/c/NJmo7ctJ

Update on Trello, not coming till 4.6 later this month. So no hotfix. Pathetic once again from a so called AAA dev. DICE I do not ♥️ you anymore!

incredible, it can only be a joke

i can't believe that such a problem needs so much time to be fixed

incredible

if i said the same thing to my clients i would have been living under a bridge for a long time

• NLBartmaN
    3303 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 10
    jroggs said:
    I've been looking into the prices for patching games, and while the info I can find is unclear and murky, it points to it being really expensive to put out patches on console due to certification. As in tens of thousands of dollars per patch each, for both Sony and Microsoft, just to drop a patch. Think about that in terms of sales. You're talking about literally thousands of games sold just to cover the costs of this one hotfix.

Make no mistake, this really sucks for us that the game is just going to be sitting broken indefinitely (as 4.6 currently doesn't have a date to my knowledge). But it makes sense from a business perspective. The positive word of mouth they gain from hotfixing this will evaporate when 4.6 breaks other things, while the negativity from leaving the latency unfixed is pretty much tolerable as we players largely cry and stamp our feet and then pretty much do nothing. So why through all that money away for something worthless to them?

They're totally lying that they need more time. But I get it.
    That is why most companies have a big and capable QA department and do lots of real life testing in EVERY scenario (or platform in this case) before they release a product ...

All capable devs are working on other (new) games or left the company within some weeks or just before the release of BF V ...

There is NO CTE on all platforms, NO bftracker.com, there is nothing worth mentioning ...
  • sexinvader
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    game is unplayable for me .

latency variation after
    latency variation
    there is nothing wrong with my connection
    tested in other games its fine plus i have Broadband Quality Monitor
    all is fine my end
    please fix this dice ea

• RayD_O1
    514 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    game is unplayable for me .

latency variation after
    latency variation
    there is nothing wrong with my connection
    tested in other games its fine plus i have Broadband Quality Monitor
    all is fine my end
    please fix this dice ea

It is due to be fixed in next patch, they have stated there will ne no hotfix.

• TFBisquit
    1625 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 11
    So in the past games were released with tons of bugs, and received a launch day patch fixing most of them. After that hot fixes for serious problems after a next patch. And now Dice needs more than a month to fix this latency issue?
    While the game appears to run smooth after recent patch, which is a plus, the lag compensation is now very noticeable also.
    Emptied entire clips in someone’s back without hit markers, accidentally firing a shot while running and getting a headshot kill. It’s very inconsistent now.
    Seems happening the most when enemies are grouped together.
  • sexinvader
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit said:
    So in the past games were released with tons of bugs, and received a launch day patch fixing most of them. After that hot fixes for serious problems after a next patch. And now Dice needs more than a month to fix this latency issue?
    While the game appears to run smooth after recent patch, which is a plus, the lag compensation is now very noticeable also.
    Emptied entire clips in someone’s back without hit markers, accidentally firing a shot while running and getting a headshot kill. It’s very inconsistent now.
    Seems happening the most when enemies are grouped together.
    thats my game 100% of the time full clips in some one no damage at all to them
  • viperlesgr
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The same **** in Greece . i had 60 to 80 ms and now 107 to 120 . it's pitty . i can't play the game the last 2 months . it seems that DICE doesn't care about this . 
  • KrullBorg
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    another unplayable day THANKS
  • sexinvader
    this game is trash. battlefield 5 warning icons constantly poping up no hit reg and one shot deaths. the game at the moment is trash .
    its not my connection its this games servers or something is not working wright.
    fix this junk i paid money for

• Zavrix1
    96 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They can't seem to get anything right at the moment
  • TFBisquit
    1625 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They can't seem to get anything right from the start tbh.
    But this latest one takes the cake. Especially the time they need to fix it.
    I actually find it unthinkable they get away with it, but perhaps the player base is that small, so they can pull anything they want.
  • BeastofBourbon84
    223 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you played bf in the last few years you come to a point where you think you've seen it all...

-Shells ricocheting despite no changes to cannons
    -sudden netcode issues
    -performance problems
    -instant resupplies for vehicles
    -invulnerable gunners
    -invisible players
    -soundbugs in all shapes and forms

...but I'm still amazed when something like this happens in a patch that was DELAYED to allegedly fix bugs.

We're all human and things can go wrong from time to time but how can there be new bugs in every single patch?
    Even if you roll a d20 you will get a Nat20 once in a while.

It boggles the mind really.
  • MetXallica
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Please fix the latency issue. We're playing less due to high pings... 
  • ProAssassin2003
    3359 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Borderlands 3 drops Friday screw this Circus.
  • BeastofBourbon84
    223 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    EGS bad though!
    Gonna wait for the goty edition...
  • GeneralXIV
    238 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Things could be worse.

I had this yesterday:

*It should be 3139 ping

I'm 90% sure that wasn't the servers, most likely my fiancee doing something on the internet at the same time or a random internet related issue for a few seconds. Yay for more than 3 seconds of ping? :P 

And sometimes, bad servers can be beneficial: