Weekly Debrief

Two Levels of Play

Comments

• VOLBANKER
    1013 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    NN_Buzz12 said:
    None, thank you. I took notes.
    What’s the problem? It seems to me you’re just being jealous of people like Tyrone who are good at the game. Why not be respectful and then use their uploaded videos to try and improve your own game? That’s what I do myself.
  • BeastofBourbon84
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VOLBANKER wrote: »
    (Quote)
    What’s the problem? It seems to me you’re just being jealous of people like Tyrone who are good at the game. Why not be respectful and then use their uploaded videos to try and improve your own game? That’s what I do myself.

Nah he's just shooting people from outside the capzone, 0 skill required ;)
    /s just in case
  • VincentNZ
    2923 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I recall that in BF4 I was once kicked from a server after playing several really good rounds with the message: Sorry, you are just too good for the current setup and you are breaking the game. This was true and I think the kick was justified as people were leaving the server because I had a really good run and the general level of play was just lower than average. That is an issue for private servers, when people leave.
    BFV does lend itself more to that especially when you have people in vehicles and/or when you can exploit gameplay mechanics like that. Hence you get those 100-0 Breakthrough Bombers or these 50-0 artillery tanks, that do little beyond their kills. Also with spread mostly gone for semi-autos, the only barrier of dominating firefights are health attrition and the ability to control your mouse. With gunplay mechanics like these you can eliminate other gaming skills mostly, like intel, awareness, tactical play, gadget synergy etc..
    I am not saying you could not go 40-2 as infantry before in regular matches, but this game makes it easier on a per-engagement level. Health attrition might slow you down a bit, but it hurts everyone else as well.
    As for the suggestion discussed: This would not work, as Battlefield is a game of chance that is highly unpredictable on a per-round basis. Everyone can have that insane killstreak once in a while. Also many players are rather limited to one role, or even mode and if they divert from that (like from plane to infantry or vice versa) the result might be totally different.
    The biggest issue however are the lowish player numbers so that any form of algorithm for matchmaking has to fail or could quite possibly make it worse. Also random chance works well in a game of 64p for matchmaking and team-balance. People tend to mix up the general skill level of a team with some player's individual level and they get frustrated by getting killed a lot by the same player. And the personal POV is always flawed, biased and subjective. The game experience of the fellow next to you might be totally different.
    The best thing if you get frustrated by the gameplay experience of BFV in this regard is a change of focus, meaning to try to draw enjoyment from a more balanced part of the game, which is usually win ratio instead of kills and/or deaths. For most the win ratio sits somewhere between 40-60% so that is something you can always look to. Or if you are more interested in a personal effort increasing your SPM or general score per round is a good focus point. Yesterday I saw a guy on Fjell on 3rd place on Scoreboard with 0:4 as a medic. So that is absolutely achievable.

• Jeffmaxs6
    225 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 17

[removed]

• LOLGotYerTags
    13077 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    @Jeffmaxs6
    Don't post comments that are going to bait others into responding negatively.
  • NLBartmaN
    3316 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    No need for 2 kind of servers, more need for actual (team) balancers in numbers and skill.

If both sides have a Platoon or some above average stats (not skill, that is a different thing) players, the game will still be fun for all.

The game gets frustrating if all (or most) Platoons and above average stat players are on 1 side.

Majority of players on the losing team start leaving or start camping far away from the objectives in a "safe" spot.
  • Jeffmaxs6
    225 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @Jeffmaxs6
    Don't post comments that are going to bait others into responding negatively.

I was just asking why he cared and making a observation. Just like my observation this is a thread about hackers.

• xHonest_Abe
    104 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I predict that when gaming clans are allowed to own and control their servers, a server that has a simple requirements of under .80 or 2.0 only k/d to play requirement will be hugely popular. You don't have to visit those servers, it is up to the gamer. Honestly if these fun servers exist, it would be hard to get on if managed properly. No one would make the "experience and knowledge" players go to these server. The player chooses the way they want to play Battlefield 5.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1680 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I predict that when gaming clans are allowed to own and control their servers, a server that has a simple requirements of under .80 or 2.0 only k/d to play requirement will be hugely popular. You don't have to visit those servers, it is up to the gamer. Honestly if these fun servers exist, it would be hard to get on if managed properly. No one would make the "experience and knowledge" players go to these server. The player chooses the way they want to play Battlefield 5.
    People with 2.0 k/d or more wont wanna play against each other and mess up their k/d.  They'd have to go back to casual and be a fly boy or a tanker a few hours to recover.  Heck i'm only a .80 k/d.  It was like .56 back in April or May when I first got the game. I was mainly RAMBO reviving and dying while reviving.  Even with smoke.  I should be 1.0 before end of the year.  Usually most shooters I never go positive cause i'm a aggressive objective player.
  • BeastofBourbon84
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you think good Players enjoy stomp match after stomp match you are mistaken close games are always the best.

Doesn't really matter to me in the end if you win or lose if the battle was thrilling.
  • ElliotLH
    8395 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 17
    GRAW2ROBZ said:
    ...They'd have to go back to casual and be a fly boy or a tanker a few hours to recover... 
    That's pretty much the only reason my KD is over 2 😂
  • TFBisquit
    1643 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    At present the game is hard work for many, if they want to stay on the positive side of scores.
    This is from the launch and most likely wont change, not even with rsp, in whatever form that may come.
    Anyway, you would need matchmaking that put players with others at their own level, you also need a healthy playerbase for that to work though.
    I agree on the close rounds. Those are the best, and let this game shine for a change.
    Rounds where some take most of the kills, and others have to settle for less, are not fun at all. You end up running around aimlessly, not finding enemies, and when you do someone else is quicker to shoot them.
    So yeah, you play for fun, and playing with the same level of opponents will enhance that fun. Because in games you want to get better, yet being the best quickly becomes a bore.
    Btw I don't like 2 kind of modes to separate experience. Some rookie servers would be nice for those that are a rookie, for the rest you want a good connection so you can compete with top players.
    -
    Seriously, relaxing in a shooter? Then this game really is bad.

• NN_Buzz12
    114 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

What’s your problem? I think you’re trying to make something out of a big nothing. Be the best follower you can be and drop the drama.
  • VOLBANKER
    1013 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    NN_Buzz12 said:
    (Quote)

What’s your problem? I think you’re trying to make something out of a big nothing. Be the best follower you can be and drop the drama.
    I found your replies puzzling (so did Tyrone it seems) and interpreted what made you reply that way. If I made something out of a big nothing, I apologize. 
  • Kranden
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I can say with certainty that I'm having a worse experience on top of the scoreboard carrying the Team on my Back trying to capture objectives by myself and watching Blueberries "have fun".

This right here times 1000x

Had a game of Squad conquest the other day where I went 30-5 playing the objectives and giving orders to my squad.

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bfv/gamereport/origin/1173479344160287872?handle=kranden

We still lost because the team was down 2 players.

Personal skill only means so much when your team isn't good.

This is a game based around teamwork, and it reflects more on the matches than individual skill does.
  • SunnyTheWerewolf
    302 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Playing against better players will eventually make you a better player, so I'm not sure how good it would be to artificially control the level of players one is playing against.

That is unless your goal is to not improve.
  • SirTerrible
    1705 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    For alot of us that are on top of the scoreboard 9 times out of 10 are kind of in auto pilot mode(bad term but idk what else to call it). We kind of go with the flow of the game and end up capping/defending and killing all in rapid succession. It tends to ruins people experiences but what else are we supposed to do not play a bf game? We are having fun (usually) so I'm not sure what else we could do.
    I think alot of these gripes are due to not having a skilled based ranked matchmaking system but that would come with a heavy amount of headaches and wait times.

A good comparison to "Autopilot mode" would be when I'm on iracing mid race and my times are within .500 to .600 of my fastest consistently till the end. We call that a flow state or autopilot. Its just the way it is. *shrug*
    This basically explains it. I never understood people who call me a "tryhard" or excuse their own incomitance as "I'm not even trying, I'm playing for fun". I'm also just playing as everyone else on the server, use same guns, have same character stats as everyone else.  I just play normally without doing anything unusual to my playstyle. I just log in, pick my character and start playing the way developers intended.
    The people that call you a tryhard don't realize that the better a player is the less they actually have to try. There's no need to go 100% flat out when coasting is way more fun. Joking around with friends laughing about the funny stuff happening in the game or talking about random unrelated things while playing is dramatically more fun than getting sweaty. I'm pretty big against forced skill based matchmaking because of that. I like just messing around, I like using weapons that aren't the best, and overall I like not having to try very hard. Playing a super competitive match is fun on occasion but if that was the only type of match I could get into I'd play like 1/10th the amount I normally do.
  • SirTerrible
    1705 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Playing against better players will eventually make you a better player, so I'm not sure how good it would be to artificially control the level of players one is playing against.

Playing against good players can definitely be a good way to improve but if you're getting stomped you'll learn essentially nothing, or your learning will be slowed compared to playing vs closer competition. This applies to all games really. If I join a game of Smash Bros online and my opponent is like a top 1% player the only thing I learn is that I am absolute trash compared to a legit good player lol.
  • SunnyTheWerewolf
    302 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

Playing against good players can definitely be a good way to improve but if you're getting stomped you'll learn essentially nothing, or your learning will be slowed compared to playing vs closer competition. This applies to all games really.

The premise is on adapting your play to be able compete against better players. If there are good players on your squad/team follow them and observe how they move and how they choose the engagements they choose. And if there's a particularly good player on the other side, and it frustrates you to go against them - leave the server and spectate that player, and try to add some of the things you observe into your own game. I don't give much worth to watching Youtube videos.

If one just doesn't care about self-improvement, then it is what it is, but that is no reason to complain about better players.

And these are just general thoughts.
  • xHonest_Abe
    104 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Battlefield is a game of make believe from the beginning at 2002. Most players can't remember the  name of one player that they played with after a few minutes at the end of game play. It was not like this back in BF3 and BF4, you had your own popular servers to go to. I have seen many players leave the game because they thought they weren't good enough for the game. It is only in their mind, no one really cares how good you are.   No one would be forced to play on the "fun server" that started this thread. If you have a k/d of 0.40 and want to play on a competitive server, go for it. The fun server would be another alternative for players who like to have time to talk to players and joke around, try new tactics and weapons without hurting other players whose main objective is achieving high k/d stats. I can imagine if there were "fun servers", the high k/d player would loose a lot of there supply of inexperience players, and drive there stats down. B)