Weekly Debrief

Attrition. Maybe it's time to get rid of it completely.

13»

Comments

• DingoKillr
    3556 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 said:
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    (Quote)
    The vehicle stations are often not inside the bases. The travel time back to the station incentivises staying closer to the station and further away from where you are needed.
    Infantry attrition can sort of work but the vehicle attrition is being awful

There should be a way for a team mate to resupply vehicles in the field.
    Early BF like BF2 had a good way of doing it, Commander supply drop crate. It allowed supply/repair for vehicles working with the team while lone wolf could be ignored.  
  • dICEHOUSE
    570 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The Attrition factor never really popped in my head unless it was a bunch of medic/support teammates that were oblivious to your needs. Then again, how is that a fault of the Attrition aspect?

Attrition seems to be fairly far down that list of 'fixes' at this point. No need giving them more things to consider changing/fixing.
  • Hawxxeye
    5595 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 21
    dICEHOUSE said:
    The Attrition factor never really popped in my head unless it was a bunch of medic/support teammates that were oblivious to your needs. Then again, how is that a fault of the Attrition aspect?

Attrition seems to be fairly far down that list of 'fixes' at this point. No need giving them more things to consider changing/fixing.
    for soldiers maybe, but for vehicles it is a clunky mess that encourage camping behavior instead of decreasing it. Because getting attrition-ed is a large setback for a vehicle and an even large setback if it gets destroyed
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • KrullBorg
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i love attrition, i want more attrition (as in the alpha or more)
  • dICEHOUSE
    570 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    dICEHOUSE said:

for soldiers maybe, but for vehicles it is a clunky mess that encourage camping behavior instead of decreasing it. Because getting attrition-ed is a large setback for a vehicle and an even large setback if it gets destroyed
    Ohh I agree with you in regards to what it does to vehicles. Nobody wants to be 3/4 out of ammo smoking by the time they start getting a foot hold on a hard earned objective. It's not that fun to play and it makes players tend to camp and shoot in safety.

On the flip side, removing attrition all together makes vehicles rolling fortresses against soldiers. Seems like a fairly large overhaul of vehicles and soldiers would be needed to make this work evenly. I'm neither yay or nay at this point, but think we need to fix the larger issues at hand first then move on.
  • Hawxxeye
    5595 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 22
    dICEHOUSE said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    dICEHOUSE said:

Ohh I agree with you in regards to what it does to vehicles. Nobody wants to be 3/4 out of ammo smoking by the time they start getting a foot hold on a hard earned objective. It's not that fun to play and it makes players tend to camp and shoot in safety.

On the flip side, removing attrition all together makes vehicles rolling fortresses against soldiers. Seems like a fairly large overhaul of vehicles and soldiers would be needed to make this work evenly. I'm neither yay or nay at this point, but think we need to fix the larger issues at hand first then move on.
    I can guarantee that even with the cooldown style availability of ammo and gadgets for tanks from BF1, the BFV tanks would still be in a really bad place thanks to the systematic damage and horrible mobility.
    But I agree that the vehicles need an overhaul. One that takes into consideration how many AT weapons they got to deal with
  • Turban_Legend80
    4601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Woodlbrad wrote: »
    I say have a separate mode with increased attrition so you can actually feel it and one with it completely removed. Maybe rsp will provide this.

This.

It should have only ever been present in a hardcore mode.
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    869 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    well my take on attrition is simple.
    its a pointless mechanic at this point like many said so far. it made balancing an absolute nightmare and 8/10 times it has no effect on anyone and anything. also i firmly believe attrition is only implemented to make the BR-mode viable and feasible in the same launcher within the engine.
    i doubt anyone would really miss it after a week or two. but if they ever removed it within BFV live-cycle they'd need to rebalance everything accordingly which, lets face it, will never happen iwth this trainwreck of a "AAA" game.
    maybe they learned enough from BFV to not re implement it in BF2020
  • VVaxDaddy
    132 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think health attrition has a very negative effect on balance in this game and that the old system would be much easier for the Devs to balance around. It also really slows the game down.

One defence might have been it promoted squadplay but it doesn't really seem to looking at player behavior it just makes a good squad especially difficult and frustrating to deal with.
  • CT1924
    78 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Without attrition, support lmgs would be underpowered. I run them as assualt rifles, but they have unlimited ammo so I can flank more. It also gives support meaning and limits nade and explosive spam. I say leave it.
  • CSO7777
    1197 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CT1924 said:
    Without attrition, support lmgs would be underpowered. I run them as assualt rifles, but they have unlimited ammo so I can flank more. It also gives support meaning and limits nade and explosive spam. I say leave it.
    I think you should spawn with full ammo/gadgets and then leave things as is. Spawning with low ammo on a contested flag seems so stupid and squad-play often doesn't work, no support/medic in squad, everyone are running around alone all over the map etc etc.

Whether the vehicles should have more ammo I don't know, but we don't want BF1 planes that can just strafe/bomb objectives endlessly (Fjell is bad enough as it is now).
  • DingoKillr
    3556 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The only thing that got attrition added was vehicles weapons which a little extra ammo would not hurt. Everything else had some level during BF1.

Some aspects just make it more difficult, rather than break the pace of play (slow play).
    - no 100% repair inside tank.
    - Assault picks up more ammo than Recon only gets 2 to 3 bullet. If playing the class, recon would really see an enemy pouch unlike Assault.
    - Assault even gets a better deal on health.
    - Planes fly end to end with full health or ammo. Air supply station should be team only.
    - Slow tanks on top of limited vehicle supply stations with long respawn times. Sees them out of action far to much.
  • MogwaiWarrior
    723 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What was so bad about previous BF games that DICE had to resort to adding Attrition to the game? I honestly think it had more to do with Firestorm than anything. I understand implementing things to cut down on cheese like grenade spamming I just never saw ammo and health regen being an issue.