Weekly Debrief

Is private game really a good thing?

mike2289
32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I understand that having customization is good and all but i look at bf4 and with so many maps all there is is the same 4 maps or so with a 1000 tickets 24/7 with DICE servers completely empty that could offer variation. Just worried it will become the same on bf5.
Would like to hear some peoples opinion.

Comments

• BrownBreadz
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 20
    I would say it means the players prefer them 4 maps? Wasn't there a map-vote function also?
  • henke_ah
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    All i care of is to try this game with a server with all sub 50 ping

• ElliotLH
    8399 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes I think it's a good thing.
  • BrianLocal1
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree.  Rather have the variation.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5486 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's definitely not a bad thing.
  • Draxonfly
    184 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Its up to the community to 'not' make it a bad thing. 
  • Matty101yttam
    973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Those servers are for people to play the maps they want.
    Be very clear on what the real issue is here, it's that other people aren't playing the maps YOU want.
  • Shadow0nTh3Sun
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Its definitely on a spectrum between "good" and "bad."  I personally hate seeing pages full of 24/7 servers with endless matches designed for solo players.  Clearly its popular, but sometimes people get stuck in a rut and don't know that a change of pace could be fun.
  • trip1ex
    4773 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    love/hate.  

love having our own server where we can play a mode (Obliteration)  in BF4 that otherwise we couldn't play.  I like when we can switch the map when needed.  I like that we can enforce even numbers.  I like when we can kick players that don't belong.  I like that.   I like having our own little community mixed with some pubbies.  I go back and play BF4 because of all this.

But at the same  time,  hate seeing all the servers with 1 or 2 maps with 10000 tickets and insta-respawn and all sorts of other random dubious rules.  And then overzealous admins and clans stacked on one side and all that crap.  Hate that stuff.

Then again is this what private matches even are?  Maybe they are only private as in by invite only then not sure that would appeal to me.  
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2899 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Honestly, when BF5 came out I didn't bother with RSP. But now I simply need my own private server. 

I would disable MMGs and AT rifles. Put 50 ping limit and have friends kick campers. I would leave everything else at stock except for Marita and possibly Metro. Those two maps won't be present on my server.
  • full951
    2465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes it's a good thing. Lots of bs will be taken care of by server admins as they see fit. I will for example prevent high ping players from playing on my server. Others will kick people using load outs they don't like but hopefully they will be able to prevent those load outs from being used in the first place. Hackers will be kicked swiftly.
  • yamurbina
    15 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Wow, just because I don’t live in the US and often get around 90-100 ping, I won’t be able to play in some players servers?
    Nah thank you.
  • ragnarok013
    3237 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    mike2289 said:
    I understand that having customization is good and all but i look at bf4 and with so many maps all there is is the same 4 maps or so with a 1000 tickets 24/7 with DICE servers completely empty that could offer variation. Just worried it will become the same on bf5.
    mike2289 Yes, private games\RSP is not only a good thing but absolutely vital to foster a healthy thriving long term Battlefield community. Rented servers are the only reason that we can still play our favorite Battlefield games years after the official end of life and even today you can find servers running BF1942 and BF2 after GameSpy shut down as well as populated BC2, BF3, BF4 and BF1 servers. Without RSP if you didn't like the current iteration of Battlefield you'd be out of luck playing enjoying the BF experience you had in earlier games.  Regarding your statement about BF4, server admins and communities have to provide content that their players want and frequently interact with their communities via VOIP, on social media and via polls; if there wasn't a demand for those maps\experiences they'd be empty. Official DICE servers are empty for many reasons but lack of active admins and the inability to change maps and game modes are the main points for their emptiness and illustrate why RSP is so vital to our community.

Rented servers also allow clans, communities, and admins the flexibility to tailor the Battlefield experience to their community's desires and needs. Want a CQB infantry experience in DOM or TDM, no problem, want only a large combined arms experience, got you covered, want a MILSIM experience with a close group of friends...check no problem! Offering the gamer choices and options in terms of game play experience is always the best course of action over heavily prescriptive mandated ways of playing.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1685 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    mike2289 said:
    Its free.  If you want all maps, put all maps in.  Also this opens up probably all game modes.  Also hardcore players get no HUD and maybe tinker with less health or more damage.  Also i'm sure big clans will like free then recruit new members.  Heck you might be able to tinker with respawn timers for players and vehicles even.  Can even have no rank password clan scrimmages if you like.  Also some people probably have servers going often and lures in the same people over and over like the old communities use to be like on Bad Company 2.
  • mike2289
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    mike2289 Yes, private games\RSP is not only a good thing but absolutely vital to foster a healthy thriving long term Battlefield community. Rented servers are the only reason that we can still play our favorite Battlefield games years after the official end of life and even today you can find servers running BF1942 and BF2 after GameSpy shut down as well as populated BC2, BF3, BF4 and BF1 servers. Without RSP if you didn't like the current iteration of Battlefield you'd be out of luck playing enjoying the BF experience you had in earlier games.  Regarding your statement about BF4, server admins and communities have to provide content that their players want and frequently interact with their communities via VOIP, on social media and via polls; if there wasn't a demand for those maps\experiences they'd be empty. Official DICE servers are empty for many reasons but lack of active admins and the inability to change maps and game modes are the main points for their emptiness and illustrate why RSP is so vital to our community.

Rented servers also allow clans, communities, and admins the flexibility to tailor the Battlefield experience to their community's desires and needs. Want a CQB infantry experience in DOM or TDM, no problem, want only a large combined arms experience, got you covered, want a MILSIM experience with a close group of friends...check no problem! Offering the gamer choices and options in terms of game play experience is always the best course of action over heavily prescriptive mandated ways of playing.

Thanks for the detailed explantion.

• 287martin
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think private servers is a good thing looks like basic version is free if you want access to all settings your going to have to pay EA for that. Could be wrong but it doesn't look like there will be an option to kick anyone from your private server
  • full951
    2465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    yamurbina wrote: »
    Wow, just because I don’t live in the US and often get around 90-100 ping, I won’t be able to play in some players servers?
    Nah thank you.

Yeah. Just some of them. You will However be able to play in any official dice server and likely in just about any other private server.
  • spychodelics
    220 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    @ragnarok013

really good post, thank you! 

• Godmodegta
    330 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think RSP will be great for the community, I just hope we have option too rig the game we want too play it as.
  • bigiain
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Badmins with weird rules and the obsession with 24/7 infantry meat grinder maps mean that I've never been that fond of private servers. I think we're at the stage though where the game desperately needs them to keep on board the people who want to play with Hardcore rules or different game modes or even want to mix up the deathly boring map rotation. DICE's curation of the maps and modes that do exist has been lethargic at best, any way of mixing up the content already in the game is welcome.

I obviously still have doubts about it working, either technically, in terms of design or because the community all try and do the exact same thing.