Ping Increase, explanation DICE?

Comments

• MOSSAD-RECRUITER
    359 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    In the menu it shows 25-28 ping, but in-game it shows 50. Strange.
  • Soulbreeze
    383 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    *missile falling to ground sound*
  • BrownBreadz
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    lol - 50ms makes no difference but 60 does??? I've not played with 100+ ping so I cant comment (same may be applicable if you have never played under 50) I'm not even going to get baited into the other part of the comment.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it...

Maybe you should reread it more slowly...

Fyi I have played at a sub 10 before... no it wasn't better becuase everyone else lags. You want to be in the median of the collective ping times. Most people are in the 50 to 100ms. When you break 160ms you start see abnormal game play issues..

But it's to funny as you have lesser stats then me on battlefield tracker.... what's your excuse?
    I've not played an FPS since BF3 (or any other FPS for that matter) I bought BFV long after alpha release so the learning curve was quite steep in terms of knowing maps & weapon effectiveness/unlocks along with predominantly playing solo. 2142 was the last FPS I played seriously and was top 200 recon worldwide. ''Most players are in the 50-100ms latency bracket'' - bold assumption. I've only ever played FPS under 30ms so anything above has an abnormal feeling to me personally.

I'm afraid you are just showing a complete lack of understanding regarding how latency affects gameplay.

Let me enlighten you;

Example A - You have half a second (500ms) to respond to x situation, your latency is 50, this gives you 450ms to respond.

Example B - You have half a second (500ms) to respond to x situation, your latency is 150, this gives you 350ms to respond.

You must then factor in your reaction time which I personally would assume for most players is in the 220-375ms range. (see above link I posted)

Example A - with a latency of 50 and a reaction time of 375 you are able to respond within the 500ms timeframe (reaction time of 425ms)

Example B - with a latency of 150 and a reaction time of 375 you are not able to respond within the 500ms timeframe (reaction time of 525ms)

Summary; Lower latency improves the ability to effectively respond to x situation. Higher latency impacts the ability to effectively respond to x situation or removes the ability to respond in its entirety - comprende?

This as a general rule is why competitions are/were held on LAN with identical PC's and peripherals as the latency and other factors are removed and it boils down to a players ability to react rather than other variables.

The abnormal gameplay you speak of is otherwise known as packet loss and is related to ping but is essentially the loss of data going serverside I believe which results in the jumping/rubberbanding etc. (I'm not 100% sure on this so more than happy to be corrected by someone that knows)
  • NLBartmaN
    4123 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

story
    You are forgetting a very important part: the server capacity and server tick, netcode and compensation for poor connection players.

You can have the best ping and reaction time in the world, if the information (location) of the players that you try to shoot is delayed or not accurate you are not going to hit a damn thing ...
  • BrownBreadz
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN said:

story
    You are forgetting a very important part: the server capacity and server tick, netcode and compensation for poor connection players.

You can have the best ping and reaction time in the world, if the information (location) of the players that you try to shoot is delayed or not accurate you are not going to hit a damn thing ...
    I believe this is partly covered by packet loss?
  • TectonicGuns
    334 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2019
    My ping has jumped about 60ms and just in case you missed it- a re-post: 

BFV's fast TTK is frustrating at times. So here's just a few numbers to mull over. I've simplified the units down to milliseconds (ms)

A 600rpm full auto weapon fires a round every 100ms.
    A 1200rpm full auto weapon fires a round every 50ms.
    A 180rpm semi auto weapon fires a round every 333ms and also equates to pulling a trigger 30 times in 10 seconds.
    A 360rpm semiauto equates to 60 triggers pulls in 10 seconds (upper limit, but in BFV you need only the first 3 to 5!).
    Human finger reaction time with training and a startle factor is about 100ms (upper limit) with novice times of 150ms typical.

These data show all the living and death in BFV swirls around differences of just 10s of milliseconds. You can do you own math for the TTK estimate for your favorite gun (aka. damage profile). Add your TTK to your reaction time and ping and it's obvious what a ping differential between players of 60ms can make.

So, my ping group of 75 to 100ms (mine is about 90ms avg, but floats from 75 to 100 with typical connection quality- pre last patch- now 140-160ms) compared to players with 30ms ping shows just how short life is in the eternity of the 60ms of the past in which I live and die, over and over... 

In other words ping makes significant competitive difference in BFV!
  • SixTouge
    324 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    If my regular ping was 100ms in an FPS, I'd uninstall.

And yet I don't need a sub 50 ping to out play most people....

There is hardly a difference between 50ms to a 100ms. In BFV though you get around 160ms+ odd things start happening. People ghosting into the air and warping.

I'm starting to feel the ping being shown isn't even accurate.

That may be based on your skill level, consider less skilled players have much less margin for error and you can see how a change in ping might hurt. I'd disagree with moderately higher ping having no impact. While you may not see obvious signs of ping issues like you describe, I've definitely experienced more subtle issues that others have mentioned, inconsistent hit markers and the feeling it's taking 1-2 extra bullets to get a kill. I'm no tech whiz, so maybe it's correlation and not causation with the higher ping, but either way I'm looking forward to them patching again and hoping for better.
  • SixTouge
    324 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    (Quote)
    The problem is: it is not just adding some ms, the ping is also very unstable and lots of packet loss from time to time.

There is no netcode in this world that can compensate for that, so it plays like crap more than half of the time.

There is something serious wrong ...

I think this sums it up perfectly, it's more the instability and inconsistency it's created. Before the patch I could fire on targets and take down to a very set rhythm, that has been seriously thrown off now.
  • Matty101yttam
    1332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    "With this update, we have fixed the issues introduced in 4.4 that was causing the latency numbers to display incorrect values on the scoreboard. "

Turns out it wasn't lagging at all but simply a display issue.
  • BeastofBourbon84
    531 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    "With this update, we have fixed the issues introduced in 4.4 that was causing the latency numbers to display incorrect values on the scoreboard. "

In other words "we couldn't find the reason for the lagspikes so instead of fixing the problem we gonna cut displayed ping in half and call it a day".

I hope this was just an error in communication or something.
  • disposalist
    8746 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Haha. Yep, you guys were imagining it. You're just weak-minded, apparently. You saw the doubled ping and invented latency issues. Thanks DICE.
  • Carbonic
    1718 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I have not had any issues with latency and ping playing the new patch today and the ping is back to its normal value. So far it seems fixed at my location. Will need to do more testing ofc.
  • BeastofBourbon84
    531 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Sounds good I'll check it out tonight.
  • EA_Tom
    23 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    edited September 2019

Haha. Yep, you guys were imagining it. You're just weak-minded, apparently. You saw the doubled ping and invented latency issues. Thanks DICE.
    With the release of this patch, please let us know if your experience has improved.
    Post edited by EA_Tom on
  • NuttysKunKs
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    EA_Tom wrote: »
    (Quote)
    With the release of this patch, please let us know if you're experience has improved.

Hopefully it’s fixed! Got s free day to play today!
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    2503 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2019
    Carbonic said:
    I have not had any issues with latency and ping playing the new patch today and the ping is back to its normal value. So far it seems fixed at my location. Will need to do more testing ofc.
    Does the hit reg get weak after 5 or 6 games in the same server?  In the early goings my model 18 is a great 2 shot kill.  But if i'm still around for a lot of matches.  After a while it seems the hit reg or something fails and it becomes a 3 shot kill or a die.  I hope that's fixed today.
  • xXHappy_PuppyXx
    194 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I guess it depends on your playstyle but every 30 ping is 1kd ratio for me roughly, i sit at about 3-4 kd average and it goes up by 1 every 30 ping i lose, or down by 1 for every 30 i gain.
    So maybe it depends if your playing a high heat style like i do or a more laid back style like sniping.(Quote)
    Also don't bring stats into it, they are a joke and are pointless for anything apart from stroking a try hards ego, good players experiment, good players don't stress, you can't do either if your worried about dying.

Ok for one, score per minute doesnt equal kdr. The only one here bring up kdr is you. So if your stroking a high kdr it's only you trying to be a try hard.

I bring up over all stats... if you looked you can see I play all classes and have a even score per minute between them.

As far as high latency vs game style. Sniping is harder on a higher ping do to lag, warping and bullet delay. Run and gunning is easier when lagging. People don't use lag switches to snipe but they do for cqb run and gunning.

The issue I pointed out is you get game play anomalies when you get into the 180ms times, people ghosting into the air, shots not registering ect. There is a correlation between these abnormal ping times and anomalies.

Servers seem to be the worse when. You get out of region players and then high connection speed players in the same server.. some one running 300+ ping times and a person with a 20ms ping time in the same server and it's like the server has a stroke.

The smoothest I've seen bf servers run is when everyone is with in 50 or so ms of each other. This is a bf specific issue as the latency gap doesn't effect other games in the same way.

• ackers75
    2607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GRAW2ROBZ wrote: »
    (Quote)
    Does the hit reg get weak after 5 or 6 games in the same server?  In the early goings my model 18 is a great 2 shot kill.  But if i'm still around for a lot of matches.  After a while it seems the hit reg or something fails and it becomes a 3 shot kill or a die.  I hope that's fixed today.

Noticed that ages ago and thought it was just me.
    Seems the longer the game time the worse the hit reg becomes.
  • Riflen
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GRAW2ROBZ said:
    Carbonic said:

Model 8 begins to do < 50 dmg to the body past 50 metres. 3-hits to the body on undamaged opponents will be necessary at ranges beyond that. Also remember that there is a damage reduction modifier happening on every shot that passes through scenery.

https://sym.gg/bfv/comparison.php
  • NLBartmaN
    4123 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The ping number is back to the one before the previous patch, the netcode feels just as bad as before that patch ...

But it is patchday, so lets wait a day or 2 before final verdict ...

BTW, it is pretty clear why they delayed Alsoondan, the clipping issue is still there ... walls that show and disapear when you turn your head from side to side ...

Also very blurry view on the ground when flying, can't even see objective signs and letters ...