DICE - the luckiest FPS developer ever

13»

Comments

• MrCamp121
    890 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    MrCamp121 that is true and the changes that we will most likely see are aggressive monetization systems being added a couple of months after launch after the review cycle has ended.

Yea Pretty much. And perhaps any small easy adjustments to the game from feedback like the HUD. Other than that...its pretty much whatll launch
  • CONVEEEN
    172 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe BF go back to the roads and a not a modern shooter with WW2 style? CoD netcode was a lot much better I think. And yes DICE/EA really lucky that CoD failed so much with all.
  • xKusagamix
    1076 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I think their intentioned behind tinted nydar sights was to "Give players a reason to use iron sights".  But as with many ideas in BF5, it failed. 
    That idea may work only if 90% of the iron sights in BFV are not so garbage. Because of "realistic".
  • Ameriken05
    451 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Woodlbrad said:
    Ameriken05 wrote: »
    (Quote)
    "Last couple" Battlefields?  I love how people are still hating on BF1 when it was probably one of the gutsiest, well-supported, well-reviewed titles in years.  It pulled off a WW1-FPS masterfully, and just because it wasn't modern and vehicle-centric (because it was...WW1) doesn't make it less of a BF game, it was just different and frankly A LOT of people had a ton of fun with the game.  Plus it shipped in working condition and had high quality DLC, not to mention the incredibly engaging operations mode and a few other unique adds.  BF1 has its place in the BF pantheon.  Do I want another one anytime soon - probably not.  But man what a unique experience.  Shame on you.  
    I wouldn’t go as far as masterfully for WW1 dont get me wrong it’s one of my favorite titles of all time it’s a great FPS. But It didn’t represent trench warfare or the tactics that were used during the time very well probably for the best so the game was more enjoyable.
    Yeah not trying to say it was a great WW1 simulator, just saying they took a war that had no business being an FPS and made it work - that was the masterful part.  Though yeah I appreciated being able to play a little "back to basics" to get more of the pointless trench warfare feel - I'm glad they took liberties to make it a fun and immersive version of WW1 while still playing some homage to the conflict.  

CoD MW2019 is a solid game. Its a typical CoD game that had been upgraded with much needed graphics, sound and animations. It completely craps on BF5's weapon customizations.

Gunplay feels solid, even though its instantly fells as CoD gunplay. Guns feel nice, animations look solid.

My friends who quit BF5 are really enjoying MW2019. So am I. We will probably move to that until Bad Company 3 comes out next year.

Bad Company 3?

I know this may shock you, putting the name "bad company" on a game won't instantly fix all the stupid we have seen in the last couple of battlefield games and magically revive the series

It will still have the same, graphics, hit detection/netcode poor weapon balance, terrible maps, camping, etc and micro-transactions galore

If anything, all it will do is bait players into buying a game because of the name and they will instantly whine on the forums "This isn't bad company"
    "Last couple" Battlefields?  I love how people are still hating on BF1 when it was probably one of the gutsiest, well-supported, well-reviewed titles in years.  It pulled off a WW1-FPS masterfully, and just because it wasn't modern and vehicle-centric (because it was...WW1) doesn't make it less of a BF game, it was just different and frankly A LOT of people had a ton of fun with the game.  Plus it shipped in working condition and had high quality DLC, not to mention the incredibly engaging operations mode and a few other unique adds.  BF1 has its place in the BF pantheon.  Do I want another one anytime soon - probably not.  But man what a unique experience.  Shame on you.  
    You're right it was a great game

Maps that got worse as the game went on
    Impossible for a team to comeback if they were behind by a certain amount
    Behemoths that effectively did nothing and were poorly utilized
    Guns that were poorly balanced.
    Sweet spot mechanic as a crutch for recons
    Lame weathering that magically only blinded people in the air, but not on the ground
    Losing the kit you choose when you went into a vehicle
    Bayonet charge that for some reason wasn't stoppable after putting like 6 rounds into someone
    Horses that were literally tanks.
    Gas that made enemy players lose their ads while in a gas mask, that literally had minor effects on the team deploying it, and no clue what team actually deployed it.

Maps got worse?  You mean new DLC maps like the French, Russian and Ottoman maps?  Those were pretty awesome if you ask me.

I mean it's always been pretty tough for a team to comeback from behind, and seems like BF1 was one of those few games that tried to offset that more (what game mode are we talking about anyway?)

Behemoths were a mixed bag on effectiveness, just like vehicles in EVERY BF (always depends on the users)

I feel like i saw a pretty wide variety of guns in BF1 which would indicate some solid balance, though sounds like your particular gun might not have been as good?

I'm not familiar with the sweet spot mechanic, I don't play recon, and I don't care about the sniper scourge, I just go flank and melee them when it gets too obnoxious

Weathering effects definitely had an impact on the ground, though I would expect it to be less than someone up in the air trying to fly in a sandstorm - kind of thought the point of the weather effects was to take some of the vehicles advantages out of the game for a bit.

I don't recall losing my kit when i jumped into a vehicle, unless you mean spawning into a vehicle as a vehicle class

The bayonet charge was designed to be a bit more immune from shooting, thereby incentivizing people to use bayonets and do it.

Again, they gave advantages to horsemen that required a bit more effort to take them down - but don't recall it being a huge issue

HAHA it was WW1 and the gas was clearly a unique add to the game.  What is the advantage of gas other than to make the other team put on masks and not be able to ADS???  And yes it was a double-edged sword with teams not knowing which gas it was - gas is gas!  Again it was a great dynamic of the game and never overbearing.

Looks like YOU'RE the reason everyone just makes modern warfare beardo games with helicopters because obviously it's not worth doing any other era than modern.  I love modern warfare games but we were definitely due for a break when BF1 came out and unfortunately BFV has not done the greatest job following up. 
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1496 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    To be fair Ground War is COD's first real attempt at BF style combat and it's okay. Also, it's still in beta, which means it has the potential to be improved. BFV has been out 10 months and it's still garbage. It also sold way less than anticipated and has had controversy after controversy. So who's lucky?
  • trip1ex
    5066 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CoD MW2019 is a solid game. Its a typical CoD game that had been upgraded with much needed graphics, sound and animations. It completely craps on BF5's weapon customizations.

Gunplay feels solid, even though its instantly fells as CoD gunplay. Guns feel nice, animations look solid.

My friends who quit BF5 are really enjoying MW2019. So am I. We will probably move to that until Bad Company 3 comes out next year.

Bad Company 3?

I know this may shock you, putting the name "bad company" on a game won't instantly fix all the stupid we have seen in the last couple of battlefield games and magically revive the series

It will still have the same, graphics, hit detection/netcode poor weapon balance, terrible maps, camping, etc and micro-transactions galore

If anything, all it will do is bait players into buying a game because of the name and they will instantly whine on the forums "This isn't bad company"

Lame weathering that magically only blinded people in the air, but not on the ground
    Bayonet charge that for some reason wasn't stoppable after putting like 6 rounds into someone
    Gas that made enemy players lose their ads while in a gas mask, that literally had minor effects on the team deploying it, and no clue what team actually deployed it.

agree on all except guns weren't balanced and losing your kit when you grabbed a vehicle.  gun balance was fine.  losing your kit was fine. 

I'd add in crappy animations,  Zerg/ring around the rosie objective meta, lack of big maps and lack of maps with lots of vehicles.  Also in general vehicles were less fun overall.   hard to see kits on the ground.  crappy visibility with weather and blur/hdr effects etc.  

Gas mask thing was annoying just because of constantly having to hit x to put it on and take it off.  It just got  too annoying after awhile.  

yep bayonet at the end was often still would surprise when someone locks onto you while you are shooting them.  

i was just watching BF1 for a minute and thinking that it was actually kind of fun and then I see your list and I'm reminded of why I hate it.  lol.

and yeah dlc maps weren't that great.  only 3 of the ~20 had tanks and planes.  

Elites were also lame.   Just lame because it encourages players to camp where they spawn.  I'd much rather have it randomly assigned to someone on the team every so often who crosses some criteria for kills or heals or ammo passing out or repairing or defending flags or ...

But I thought BF1 was the least fun BF game until BFV came out and I just gave up.  lol.

• Ameriken05
    451 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex said:

Bad Company 3?

agree on all except guns weren't balanced and losing your kit when you grabbed a vehicle.  gun balance was fine.  losing your kit was fine. 

I'd add in crappy animations,  Zerg/ring around the rosie objective meta, lack of big maps and lack of maps with lots of vehicles.  Also in general vehicles were less fun overall.   hard to see kits on the ground.  crappy visibility with weather and blur/hdr effects etc.  

Gas mask thing was annoying just because of constantly having to hit x to put it on and take it off.  It just got  too annoying after awhile.  

yep bayonet at the end was often still would surprise when someone locks onto you while you are shooting them.  

i was just watching BF1 for a minute and thinking that it was actually kind of fun and then I see your list and I'm reminded of why I hate it.  lol.

and yeah dlc maps weren't that great.  only 3 of the ~20 had tanks and planes.  

Elites were also lame.   Just lame because it encourages players to camp where they spawn.  I'd much rather have it randomly assigned to someone on the team every so often who crosses some criteria for kills or heals or ammo passing out or repairing or defending flags or ...

But I thought BF1 was the least fun BF game until BFV came out and I just gave up.  lol.

Meh
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1293 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I met a buddy lately, the only one besides me who still plays battlefield in our friendlist and asked him why he still plays.

The answer is simple "there is nothing else like it".

That's pretty much how I see it too.
    Even with all the shortcomings and bugs there's still no other game that comes close to the BF experience.
    Same here.
    BF has no competition, that is the only reason why I play it(haven't played it more than a couple of hours in the last month or so).
    As sad as it is, that is probably the only reason why many other players play the game too.

And COD MW doesn't seem like it will fill the gap at all.
  • Wikstone
    180 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I met a buddy lately, the only one besides me who still plays battlefield in our friendlist and asked him why he still plays.

The answer is simple "there is nothing else like it".

That's pretty much how I see it too.
    Even with all the shortcomings and bugs there's still no other game that comes close to the BF experience.
    Same here.
    BF has no competition, that is the only reason why I play it(haven't played it more than a couple of hours in the last month or so).
    As sad as it is, that is probably the only reason why many other players play the game too.

And COD MW doesn't seem like it will fill the gap at all.
    Agree. On the other hand when Mw ground wars comes i will uninstall all battlefields ( i have had battlefield installed since bf2 ), and big update coming to WW3.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    3214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I think their intentioned behind tinted nydar sights was to "Give players a reason to use iron sights".  But as with many ideas in BF5, it failed. 
    That idea may work only if 90% of the iron sights in BFV are not so garbage. Because of "realistic".
    Iron sights in BF5 are anything but realistic.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    582 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    To be fair Ground War is COD's first real attempt at BF style combat and it's okay. Also, it's still in beta, which means it has the potential to be improved. BFV has been out 10 months and it's still garbage. It also sold way less than anticipated and has had controversy after controversy. So who's lucky?

Who’s lucky? Not your boyfriend 😎😎😎😎😎
  • MAJWolfcookies
    582 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

But I don’t disagree with you. BFV is a dumpster fire no question.
  • disposalist
    8746 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Bad Company 3?

"Maps that got worse as the game went on"
    The Russian DLC was a tad bland, but the others were fantastic.

"Impossible for a team to comeback if they were behind by a certain amount"
    I did find teams could 'give up' as soon as they went 50 points behind, but it seemed a player thing more than the mechanic. Some just never seemed to 'get it'. The matches in BF4 were just as often (if not more often) one-sided landslides, but the illusion of a possible comeback was better? Meh.

"Behemoths that effectively did nothing and were poorly utilized"
    Yes, often teams that were so bad they were awarded a behemoth didn't then know how to well utilise the behemoth. Would you really want genuinely worse teams to win because of the behemoth? Imagine the moaning. Behemoths were at least spectacular fun for the losers and if it did happen that two well-matched teams got scores skewed for no good reason, they *could* be used to make a comeback.

"Guns that were poorly balanced"
    Nope. No way. The guns were excellently balanced. I used a wide variety depending on the class and situation and playstyle preferred and was killed by all sorts of guns. If you were killed by the same weapons all the time you must have played the same small, restricted game modes all the time.

"Sweet spot mechanic as a crutch for recons"
    Whilst I think the sweetspot mechanic was unneeded, it at least attempted to bring the scout in from sniping range. I died way more to OHKs from snipers in BF4 than BF1 though.

"Lame weathering that magically only blinded people in the air, but not on the ground"
    Huh? Weather was an excellent change-the-tactics factor on the ground and, yes, it made air-to-ground combat difficult much like it made sniping difficult.  The answer?  Change class for 10 minutes.  Shocker.

"Losing the kit you choose when you went into a vehicle"
    No you didn't.  If you got in a tank/plane as a non-pilot/tanker you got out as a non-pilot/tanker.  If you *spawned* as a tanker, you got the tanker kit. Same for pilot. Are you really complaining that when you bailed out of your killing machine you weren't then an infantry class?  Lol.

"Bayonet charge that for some reason wasn't stoppable after putting like 6 rounds into someone"
    Sounds like you only played BF1 for a week. The bayonet damage resistance was nerfed pretty quickly. I never had a big problem with it though. Bayonetting was pretty much a death sentence to the user. Competitive types hated it because they would occasionally get bayoneted by noobs and ruin their KD. Boo hoo.

"Horses that were literally tanks"
    Again, sounds like you played for a week. They were also nerfed, though, in my opinion if you actually played cavalry much you realised they took skill to use. They were never like tanks, though. They could be taken out by a single player.

"Gas that made enemy players lose their ads while in a gas mask, that literally had minor effects on the team deploying it, and no clue what team actually deployed it"
    Friendlies also lose ADS in gasmasks.  They also got vision effects if not using a gasmask.  The effects were in fact exactly the same apart from damage.  The big clue for when it was enemy gas was you took damage.

BF1 was the most popular BF yet and for good reason.  It did the best job of compromising between more 'hardcore' playstyles and actually being fun.  It was amazingly atmospheric and spectacular.  It had fantastic balance between vehicles and infantry and difference classes.  They even managed to make the planes fun to fly!  (Pretty much requiring a hardcore flightsim nerd to enjoy before).

I get some people only want modern warfare, were upset by there not being hardcore/competitive servers and couldn't cope with weapons not being perfectly accurate, but *shrug* the vast majority of players loved BF1.

I find it mystifying when people say 'the latest' BFs are the worst. I loved every BF in turn - they all had excellent improvements and were great fun (except maybe Hardline - that was a bit weird) - until BF5.  BF5 is *nothing like* BF1. It's the first time a BF release was worse than the previous.
  • Ameriken05

Bad Company 3?

"Maps that got worse as the game went on"
    The Russian DLC was a tad bland, but the others were fantastic.

"Impossible for a team to comeback if they were behind by a certain amount"
    I did find teams could 'give up' as soon as they went 50 points behind, but it seemed a player thing more than the mechanic. Some just never seemed to 'get it'. The matches in BF4 were just as often (if not more often) one-sided landslides, but the illusion of a possible comeback was better? Meh.

"Behemoths that effectively did nothing and were poorly utilized"
    Yes, often teams that were so bad they were awarded a behemoth didn't then know how to well utilise the behemoth. Would you really want genuinely worse teams to win because of the behemoth? Imagine the moaning. Behemoths were at least spectacular fun for the losers and if it did happen that two well-matched teams got scores skewed for no good reason, they *could* be used to make a comeback.

"Guns that were poorly balanced"
    Nope. No way. The guns were excellently balanced. I used a wide variety depending on the class and situation and playstyle preferred and was killed by all sorts of guns. If you were killed by the same weapons all the time you must have played the same small, restricted game modes all the time.

"Sweet spot mechanic as a crutch for recons"
    Whilst I think the sweetspot mechanic was unneeded, it at least attempted to bring the scout in from sniping range. I died way more to OHKs from snipers in BF4 than BF1 though.

"Lame weathering that magically only blinded people in the air, but not on the ground"
    Huh? Weather was an excellent change-the-tactics factor on the ground and, yes, it made air-to-ground combat difficult much like it made sniping difficult.  The answer?  Change class for 10 minutes.  Shocker.

"Losing the kit you choose when you went into a vehicle"
    No you didn't.  If you got in a tank/plane as a non-pilot/tanker you got out as a non-pilot/tanker.  If you *spawned* as a tanker, you got the tanker kit. Same for pilot. Are you really complaining that when you bailed out of your killing machine you weren't then an infantry class?  Lol.

"Bayonet charge that for some reason wasn't stoppable after putting like 6 rounds into someone"
    Sounds like you only played BF1 for a week. The bayonet damage resistance was nerfed pretty quickly. I never had a big problem with it though. Bayonetting was pretty much a death sentence to the user. Competitive types hated it because they would occasionally get bayoneted by noobs and ruin their KD. Boo hoo.

"Horses that were literally tanks"
    Again, sounds like you played for a week. They were also nerfed, though, in my opinion if you actually played cavalry much you realised they took skill to use. They were never like tanks, though. They could be taken out by a single player.

"Gas that made enemy players lose their ads while in a gas mask, that literally had minor effects on the team deploying it, and no clue what team actually deployed it"
    Friendlies also lose ADS in gasmasks.  They also got vision effects if not using a gasmask.  The effects were in fact exactly the same apart from damage.  The big clue for when it was enemy gas was you took damage.

BF1 was the most popular BF yet and for good reason.  It did the best job of compromising between more 'hardcore' playstyles and actually being fun.  It was amazingly atmospheric and spectacular.  It had fantastic balance between vehicles and infantry and difference classes.  They even managed to make the planes fun to fly!  (Pretty much requiring a hardcore flightsim nerd to enjoy before).

I get some people only want modern warfare, were upset by there not being hardcore/competitive servers and couldn't cope with weapons not being perfectly accurate, but *shrug* the vast majority of players loved BF1.

I find it mystifying when people say 'the latest' BFs are the worst. I loved every BF in turn - they all had excellent improvements and were great fun (except maybe Hardline - that was a bit weird) - until BF5.  BF5 is *nothing like* BF1. It's the first time a BF release was worse than the previous.
    100%
  • disposalist
    8746 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I see what your getting at, but games are a form of art, and art is improved by having a clear vision and pursuing that vision, what other people do should not come into it.

Matty101yttam while it is true that games share some similarities with art, AAA games in my opinion are really a consumable commodity because it is created specifically to be sold to the masses and make as much profit as possible. In order to do that you must provide an item that your intended audience wants to consume whereas in art you stay true to your vision regardless of its effect on people wanting to purchase it.
    This is where it all ends for the industry though.  AAA title used to mean just reliably, very good.  Excellent production values.  To make a grab for the mass market with every single title is not what it used to be about.  Companies used to do what they did well and could be sure that their existing fans would love it and the fan base should consistently grow.  That was enough to make a profit, to pay your employees and to keep your customers happy.

It no longer seems to be enough to be a popular, acclaimed success.

It's an obvious thing to most 'normal' people that to try to please everyone means to please no one, but marketing departments of companies like EA appear to have the executives convinced it's the way to go.

Even the biggest successes lately turn out to be fleeting.  The trouble is, the big companies are changing the model to *accommodate* their failures, not fix them.  They are making it so that titles are *assumed* to be a big, but fleeting success and, so, need to be replaced every year.  We end up with a procession of glitzy games with no solid core or lasting substance.

Maybe it will turn around, but it will require some spectacular failures for the modern, so-called 'triple A' companies to realise that they need to think about their customers first again and not their marketing departments and their quarterly reports.
  • azelenkin0306
    565 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just watch this video: 

And please tell me in what universe this new CoD Ground War is considered as a competitor? And I am not even talking about BF3 and BF4 (I don't like them, because I don't like Modern Warfare), which were released long time ago and still are far superior games

I don't understand - maybe I've played another Beta or what? The only things this new CoD MW does well are Small Modes, Modern setting and Gun Customization. Ground War is a damn joke with plastic vehicles and helicopters with GTA San Andreas physics.

Of course you will like it if you want to run like an idiot, shoot peoples balls and take part in e-peen KDR contests. No wonder that Battlefield V is where it is right now if even so-called BF fans love this new CoD. Is it some kind of "I need to play something new" mentality or what? 

No offense

P.S: I hope they will scrap these pathetic Grand Ops and bring back the BF1 Operations in WW2 setting.