Gunner position still a useless death seat

BURGERKRIEG
1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
We all know it. Anyone in those vehicle gunner positions (or on any stationary position) is a fool. There is absolutely no reward for risking taking it. Everyone bails immediately on spawning there. It is a guaranteed death in under 60 seconds no question no matter how good you are.

DICE introduced the duck down option but it hasn’t really helped make any of those assets worth while. It needs addressed. What do you guys think should be done about it?

Comments

• barnesalmighty2
    1624 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You are right I call it the suicide seat and enjoy popping skulls of anyone that spawns onto it.

The solution in my opinion is a speed buff across the board for tanks which will make tanks much more viable in the field and make their gunners less of an easy target.
  • mike2289
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    We all know it. Anyone in those vehicle gunner positions (or on any stationary position) is a fool. There is absolutely no reward for risking taking it. Everyone bails immediately on spawning there. It is a guaranteed death in under 60 seconds no question no matter how good you are.

DICE introduced the duck down option but it hasn’t really helped make any of those assets worth while. It needs addressed. What do you guys think should be done about it?

How do you do the duck down option? Was this introduced in the latest update?
  • barnesalmighty2
    1624 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    mike2289 wrote: »

Circle on ps4.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You are right I call it the suicide seat and enjoy popping skulls of anyone that spawns onto it.

The solution in my opinion is a speed buff across the board for tanks which will make tanks much more viable in the field and make their gunners less of an easy target.
    Yeah that would mean the tanker needing to care about the gunner enough to move about. Most players will not do anything that doesn’t help themselves first and a team mate second. That’s just natural I guess. Tanks definitely need tweaked as they are mostly hanging back and stationary.

Maybe buff the gun too? I remember in BF1943 they were pretty lethal. Not much spread high damage.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Nothing should be done about it. It's a risk you take. A risk that was taken in actual combat.
  • ragnarok013
    3884 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    mike2289 said:

mike2289 I believe it's "C" if you are on PC.
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    1095 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They are such a target too. Impossible to ignore.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    edited September 2019
    They are such a target too. Impossible to ignore.
    That’s true. Anyone in that top gunner seat is a bullet magnet. When you see somebody on there it’s a race to see who can kill them first. 
  • LINKERBLOX
    99 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe add the ability close the hatch and use the optics like a commander, and add auto heal in it so you wouldnt need to bail out to heal your damn health
  • Noodlesocks
    3631 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Need to make the gunner seat on all tanks internalised. Gameplay over realism.
  • Toxic_CA
    951 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Put a shield on the gunner.
  • bigiain
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Adding speed to the tank seems like one thing that would help the aggressive tanker more than the camper, so that would be good. I'd worry about how the physics would work though, I can imagine it introducing some wild bouncing.

Changing it to a safe spotting periscope seems like a great idea. If it was too OP you could limit it to only the rest of the crew seeing the spots.
  • PeaceWeaver
    210 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    LINKERBLOX wrote: »
    Maybe add the ability close the hatch and use the optics like a commander, and add auto heal in it so you wouldnt need to bail out to heal your damn health

That would actually be excellent. Keep the option to shoot with the hatch open, but also give the option to spot with the hatch closed — not just for your driver, but for your entire team. Tanks are rare enough that it wouldn’t detract from recon’s role (most recon players don’t spot for the damn team anyway), and it would turn that seat into more than just a lost ticket waiting to happen. It’s more realistic, too.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    Nice idea. So you could do a limited spot from inside? 
  • johnkapa1
    293 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's a dying topic....... only time i jump in is if i know the person im playing with is a good driver. but mostly i stick to the ground cause vehicles are pointless against tanks or launchers 
  • SirSpectacle
    818 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I really wonder what the devs were thinking when they spent time and effort on developing a gunner position that nobody uses because of how useless it is.
  • snavelaer
    1148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just make it a closed gun. The end
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    1095 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    snavelaer wrote: »
    Just make it a closed gun. The end

I think totally closed might make them a bit op but protecting the the back half makes sense.
  • DogRoyal
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Agree. Total useless death trap. Either closed gun or at least a shield - something like on the humvee in BF2 that was open from the sides.
    It would also improve tank close range survivability against the assault horde