Gunner position still a useless death seat

Comments

• SixTouge
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Nothing should be done about it. It's a risk you take. A risk that was taken in actual combat.

I kind of agree with this, your best defense in this position is overwhelming offense. Being first to fire with a barrage of rounds is really the only way you last, along with ducking down.

As far as it not being rewarding, it just depends on how you like to play I guess. I enjoy being tank gunner and even prefer it to driving. My first option of course is the enclosed gunner, but I'll pop up top as well. Will I survive half the round up there? Of course not, but I can usually do some damage to approaching assault teams and help keep my tanker going.
  • SixTouge
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    snavelaer wrote: »
    Just make it a closed gun. The end

Certain tanks already have this
  • jroggs
    1224 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    A gunner shield specialization that provides ~270 degrees of protection would be very welcome even if it's not the most historically accurate. Just something to cover the gunner's back and sides against small arms while he's doing his job up top. Maybe even make it a fully enclosed turret for heavy tanks.
  • snavelaer
    1148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I think totally closed might make them a bit op but protecting the the back half makes sense.

They done it in the past and it was fine. Doesn’t nescessary be the same gun with the damage output. Can be a gun with less damage

Making it closed on the back doesn’t do much.
    I know where the enemies come from but they still shoot you right in ze face.
  • Vespervin
    1368 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I never use the suicide seat and I always feel bad when I kill someone in it. Funnily enough it's usually someone of lower rank, who hasn't learned how exposed they truly are.
  • M_Rat13
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nothing should be done about it. It's a risk you take. A risk that was taken in actual combat.

Except, IRL, they had a gun shield, to protect them from whatever they were shooting at. They were still vulnerable from the sides and rear, of course. In game, making it like IRL with a front facing gun shield, would actually be pretty balanced, because you could still die, but also have an option to live, if you pointed the gun the right way.
  • SixTouge
    M_Rat13 wrote: »
    (Quote)

Except, IRL, they had a gun shield, to protect them from whatever they were shooting at. They were still vulnerable from the sides and rear, of course. In game, making it like IRL with a front facing gun shield, would actually be pretty balanced, because you could still die, but also have an option to live, if you pointed the gun the right way.

I don't know that this would help that much honestly. Most cases I get popped in the head by some distant sniper, or caught from side or behind by just about any other random class. In either case, some limited shielding isn't going to help. If you see the threat you have a chance to duck, or shoot them first.

Thing is, I see so many solo piloted tanks anyway, whether they have the sealed gunner slots or not, I'm not sure most people even want to play that role?
  • DingoKillr
    4351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    mike2289 I believe it's "C" if you are on PC.

I thought it was default crouch X or CTRL.
  • DingoKillr
    4351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I think totally closed might make them a bit op but protecting the the back half makes sense.

Weak guns would not be OP. Being that exposed currently upping the damage would seem like a good idea too.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    M_Rat13 said:

Except, IRL, they had a gun shield, to protect them from whatever they were shooting at.
    Except they didn't.
  • bigiain
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The problem with a shield is that it helps the tank camping on the side of a hill with the out of bounds behind him, but offers little protection to the player manning the gun on a flag.
  • ElliotLH
    9554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yup. If I spawn in the top seat I bail immediately.
  • StupidNameHere
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why not just expose the driver too. Bet they'll drive around fast after that. Moving target.
  • trip1ex
    5228 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    We all know it. Anyone in those vehicle gunner positions (or on any stationary position) is a fool. There is absolutely no reward for risking taking it. Everyone bails immediately on spawning there. It is a guaranteed death in under 60 seconds no question no matter how good you are.

DICE introduced the duck down option but it hasn’t really helped make any of those assets worth while. It needs addressed. What do you guys think should be done about it?

Aiming is FAR too easy in this game imo.
    Exactly.
  • THECOMMANDER66
    127 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You realize you don’t die irl right? 🤣🤣🤣
  • Elephante33
    361 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i mean its supposed to be an exposed area, but lets compare:
    Below we have the Chad BFV tank roof gunner, for the arts

thats pretty much how exposed you are in the game, its pretty bad
    then now, from the same era, we have the virgin ''i want to not die like a chump in this battle'' gunner

guess which one survived the war!

But you know, i dont think this will ever truely be changed, simple because it would require so many reworks, and they have other stuff to do. At least in the Hetzer they stayed true and gave it the wire controlled machine gun instead of some guy on the top, i like that alot
  • TFBisquit
    2284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It shouldn't be there in the first place. No tanker went in unknown territory with someone sitting on top. Only when sweeping captured territory, then it would still be a risk. The Russians had the hatchet in front of them, so they were shielded. Americans never bothered with that since they used a different approach.
    Since this is a game they should have left it out.
    It's pretty dumb tbh.
  • snavelaer
    1148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:
    Yup. If I spawn in the top seat I bail immediately.
    lol that is  always such a nasty moment. Damm and now I even have to get out wich takes another second where I am exposed
  • mike2289
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    SixTouge wrote: »

I kind of agree with this, your best defense in this position is overwhelming offense. Being first to fire with a barrage of rounds is really the only way you last, along with ducking down.

As far as it not being rewarding, it just depends on how you like to play I guess. I enjoy being tank gunner and even prefer it to driving. My first option of course is the enclosed gunner, but I'll pop up top as well. Will I survive half the round up there? Of course not, but I can usually do some damage to approaching assault teams and help keep my tanker going.

When im in the gunner seat i know my fate, but if i can do some damage to enemies and keep the tank going ive done my job and when i go down i just jump back right in. Having a gunner makes the tank deadly it just needs someone willing to sacrifce themselves for the greater good loool.
  • NuttysKunKs
    566 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    To make it more effective I’d reduce the incoming damage by a certain percentage to the gunner.