[Megathread] BFV and Cheating Discussion

Comments

• MOSSAD-RECRUITER
    337 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    STOPchris said:
    Thoughts have been shared a million times. And nothing has been done. Either you can't, or you won't deal with cheaters. If you can't, votekick is the best option.
    The best option is everyone stops buying games from EA while they "figure it out". The only thing that is going to change EA is losing money. BTW, vote kick has always been terrible. People abuse the heck out of it, just like anything else where people are giving freedom to affect others.

True about buying. But the amount of cheaters is probably higher than the amount that won't buy it for that reason. Votekick is the best option, if they CAN'T figure out to deal with cheaters.
  • M_Rat13
    1379 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The thing I find interesting about cheating, is how many cheating claims are legit, and how many just look like cheating due to how glitchy and buggy this game is, or are just salty people who got beat by a better player. The one certainty is, this games player base is the most toxic of any battlefield game. I just struggle to trust players in this game more than any other game.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3410 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 9
    You know how I posted about that article claiming that EA was developing a new client-side anti-cheat?

This article, from the same website, throws a spanner in the works: https://respawnfirst.com/electronic-arts-anti-cheat-misuse/

According to the article's source, EA's new anti-cheat is already in place in both BFV and BF1. Apparently, it's been in place since 2017. If this source is to be trusted as a whole, then EA's efforts to tackle cheats using a client-side solution have already been thwarted. We've been imploring them to take action for many years, but they've already tried something and have failed, with their community not realising the things going on behind the scene.

This is absolutely hilarious ... if it's true.

The article also says that the anti-cheat has potential for 'misuse', which is the icing on the cake.
  • MOSSAD-RECRUITER
    337 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    STOPchris said:
    STOPchris said:
    Thoughts have been shared a million times. And nothing has been done. Either you can't, or you won't deal with cheaters. If you can't, votekick is the best option.
    The best option is everyone stops buying games from EA while they "figure it out". The only thing that is going to change EA is losing money. BTW, vote kick has always been terrible. People abuse the heck out of it, just like anything else where people are giving freedom to affect others.

True about buying. But the amount of cheaters is probably higher than the amount that won't buy it for that reason. Votekick is the best option, if they CAN'T figure out to deal with cheaters.
    Are you old enough to have played games that had vote kick? Vote kick does NOT work in any way. You get people spamming votes to kick random people and kicking players because they are good. Vote kick DOES NOT WORK. Having admin servers has been the best. At least they get rid of the obvious cheaters and are LESS likely to be abusing and kicking legit players. Not saying that admins do not abuse, they absolutely do, but having admin servers is significantly better than vote kick options. 
    Are you old enough to seen that it worked? It works.
  • jroggs
    743 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just played a round of Firestorm after a lengthy break. Ran into two groups of teamers. Killed the first pair, killed one of the second pair before getting killed. Teamers have completely taken the mode over.

But why report them? I've done it before, with clear indisputable video proof, and NOTHING EVER HAPPENS. My tickets get closed immediately, but I check these guys' BF tracker pages occasionally and they just keep playing and playing.

And nobody from DICE or EA is reading these posts here, either. None of this is getting "forwarded" to the EA's anti-cheat department, if that even exists.
  • OskooI_007
    930 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 9
    You know how I posted about that article claiming that EA was developing a new client-side anti-cheat?

This article, from the same website, throws a spanner in the works: https://respawnfirst.com/electronic-arts-anti-cheat-misuse/

According to the article's source, EA's new anti-cheat is already in place in both BFV and BF1. Apparently, it's been in place since 2017. If this source is to be trusted as a whole, then EA's efforts to tackle cheats using a client-side solution have already been thwarted. We've been imploring them to take action for many years, but they've already tried something and have failed, with their community not realising the things going on behind the scene.

This is absolutely hilarious ... if it's true.

The article also says that the anti-cheat has potential for 'misuse', which is the icing on the cake.

Yeah the results speak for themself. Lots of cheaters in BF1, BFV and it takes weeks or months before they are banned. If at all.

I'm sticking it out on PC for another year until PlayStation 5 comes out. I'm never looking back.
  • Kompura
    276 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Before last month or so I very rarely saw blatant cheaters in European servers but now, every day at least one. What has happened after so many years of more "decent" amount of cheaters to increase so much? Have to quit from at least one server / night due to cheaters. Perhaps it's time to move on to some other game as EA don't care a bit.
  • SecondAmendmnt
    318 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    My suggestion for EA/DICE:
    1. Be serious about banning cheaters by actually reviewing the video evidence and banning the cheater.
    2. Publish and keep current, a list of banned cheaters.

I see many posts where someone has reported teaming up in Firestorm solos, but nothing ever is done about it.
  • TyroneLoyd_TV
    1473 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 9
    (Quote)

I did not  ask your opinion on why it won't work. I asked if you have an better idea.

So you dont know how to read. Good to know.

Let me help you out.

"Rented servers"

Are you good now?
  • STOPchris
    572 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    STOPchris said:
    STOPchris said:

Are you old enough to have played games that had vote kick? Vote kick does NOT work in any way. You get people spamming votes to kick random people and kicking players because they are good. Vote kick DOES NOT WORK. Having admin servers has been the best. At least they get rid of the obvious cheaters and are LESS likely to be abusing and kicking legit players. Not saying that admins do not abuse, they absolutely do, but having admin servers is significantly better than vote kick options. 
    Are you old enough to seen that it worked? It works.
    In no way did it EVER "work". I also explained the reasons that it did not work... Do you read the posts before you reply to them? I believe the last Tyrone post had the same issue with you...
  • alexandresmw
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 10
    (image removed for name and shame by moderator - platoon names are names too @alexandresmw )
    Please, any improvement is welcome, thanks.
    Post edited by Carbonic on
  • M_Rat13
    1379 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 10
    alexandresmw said:
    (image removed for name and shame by moderator - platoon names are names too @alexandresmw )
    Please, any improvement is welcome, thanks.

I'm more curious how number 1 got that score.
    Post edited by Carbonic on
  • TyroneLoyd_TV
    1473 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 10
    M_Rat13 wrote: »
    (Quote)

I'm more curious how number 1 got that score.

Flares and capping, not hard to be fair
  • GunSlingerAU
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    While EA is working on new anti-cheat tactics, I think there's a relatively simple way to utilize the community to help resolve this issue until better solutions can be developed.

I suggest that players are allowed to vote out cheaters... but before you start thinking "This will be abused by vengeful sore losers", here's a couple of thoughts on how to make it workable.

1.) Only kick players that have a relatively high number of kickvotes - I'd suggest around 20% of the players on each server as a guesstimate. Ok, so that's not a new theory.
    2.) Build the kick feature so that's it readily available, so this 20% of players isn't impossible to obtain. Currently the vast majority of players have no idea how to report a player thanks to the convoluted reporting system currently in place.
    3.) Have a vetting system in place for those who do the kickvoting

Here's where it gets interesting. Given the huge amount of stats tracked on each player, it shouldn't be too hard to track another couple of variables. Firstly, each kick voter would carry a specific weight in regards to how reputable their kick votes are. All players would be equal to begin, but players who honestly kick vote a cheater would have their kick vote ranking increased. Conversely, players who do kick votes out of spite would have their kick vote ranking degraded. This would determine the tally of votes during the kick process, with higher ranked voters getting more weight to their votes, while those with a low kick vote rank would have less. This short-term vote would decide whether a cheater is to be kicked from a server immediately, with a temporary, 24- or 48-hour ban. If they're a cheat, they'll go hit another server and cheat some more (if they don't cheat on the next server, it's a win for the normal players). They'll then accrue more votes, and be continually kicked. Dice would be able to see people who had been kicked from consecutive servers much more easily than usual, and lead to permabans. 

Yes, this means that we still need Dice to check on suspected cheats, but this solution has four main benefits that I can think of:
    1.) It's relatively simple to implement - just another few stats per player, and a new UI-based voting system. This is vastly simpler than all new anti-cheat logarithms/engines (though these still need to be developed in the long term). 
    2.) It immediately removes the obvious cheating players from servers for 24 hours, so we won't see servers emptying so much (this is a big problem in Australia, where only about six 64-player servers are full at night).
    3.) It helps remove the tendency for sore losers or unsociable players to vote to kick. Heck, those people who routinely kick vote innocent players can also be flagged, so they can be given warnings from Dice/have their voting rights removed.
    4.) It also removes the tendency for server populations as a whole to vote out exceptionally skilled/high scoring players who aren't cheating. 

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear any showstopping problems with this, along with suggestions on how this could be improved. But it's obvious something needs to be done relatively quickly about the BF5 cheating issues that are becoming a major problem on PC. And while some of you may think that Dice doesn't care about the PC platform as it's smaller than the consoles, as somebody who used to work for a gaming developer I can say that this isn't true. While the PC has smaller numbers, it's known as a powerful influence on console gamers and their buying decisions. 

So, over to Dice and the community - waddya reckon? 
  • VOLBANKER
    1116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 10
    Megathread = a thread where everything about a subject can conveniently be parked and ignored by DICE
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1647 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It seems that EA is acknowledging that some sort of client-based AC is needed for a game like this:

https://respawnfirst.com/electronic-arts-new-anti-cheat-system/

Let's see what happens. I hope this AC won't have a detrimental effect on performance, which is already a problem for BFV as it stands.
    Analysing volatile memory is a good thing. Fairfight is a statistical analyser that flags inconsistencies in data.

This can't soon enough as every game has cheats in it. Over the last 2 weeks it's gone insane.
  • STOPchris
    572 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Green-au said:
    Hi guys 

I first started playing online games in the bc2 days and have played every game since then that you have bort out and really enjoyed them .
    I'm in one of Australia's biggest clans TOG and we love all getting on each night to relax and enjoy a couple of hrs of BFV.
    But up until a couple of mths back I could put up with the odd hacker by just switching servers .
    Now this mth  I can't join any server without at least seeing 10 or more hackers and not just oceana players you see a heap of 140 ping plus players from Asia hacking to .
    When are you going to bring out a proper anti cheat or even better rental servers so we can act ourselves by cleaning this game up.

It's beyond a joke a whole server I was  in the other night reported some  guy with 140 ping and score off 165-5 and he  still hasn't been banned .
    There are absolutely NOT servers with 10 or more cheaters in it. Posts like this are what completely discredits the community's push to have EA/Dice do something about cheating. This is a blatant over-exaggeration of what is going on. It HAS become significantly more common to see cheaters in this game though. I do see at least one almost every time that I fire up the game.

The game used to have the less obvious closet cheaters in it, but now there is a huge influx of blatant cheaters. It's funny, because now the closet cheaters are getting frustrated and leaving! Which, is pretty funny to see... I get more pleasure from seeing that then I would seeing EA implement an anti-cheat. 
  • olavafar
    2028 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    First and foremost thing to do is to have the whole reporting and anti cheat process be transparent.

When this is in place actual anticheating may be improved but just being open will take it a long way when it comes to confidence.

When things are hidden, the first (and only) assumption will be that someone is not doing their job.
  • M_Rat13
    VOLBANKER said:
    Megathread = a thread where everything about a subject can conveniently be parked and ignored by DICE

Sadly, it's nothing new in the world of gaming.....