Weekly Debrief

Remove the Language Filter!

LEGIJAS_CCCC
145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

There should be an option to turn this filter off, make it so it's on by default.

I **** despise this filter, so many normal Dutch and German words are censored. i hate this filter.

Comments

• M_Rat13
    1057 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What Dutch and German words are they? Out of curiosity. 
  • Elephante33
    219 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    alot of normal English words are filtered too, heck back in the day White and Man was censored, and you can imagine the response of the playerbase when that happened. 

I always foudn it funny, the character in the game swears when they are hit, and its a game wher you blow people up, blood flying everywhere, ,but god forbid you say one of the big bad words on a chat you can hide by hitting the button H
  • M_Rat13
    1057 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Censorship is toxic.

Yeah, it's ironic that a certain group of people, naming no names, say they are one thing, but are in fact the opposite. On everything. It's actually quite impressive. Stupid, but impressive.
  • Cannon-dale10
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
         I actually like the censoring. Just wish they would make it better. You can still use the n word with one g. Some guy was using it all game a few days ago.  Not sure how Dice missed that one. Then I tried to use tho, insted of though, and it was censored. 
         I used to admin COD 4 games back 10 years ago, and we had no filter, but was able to ban due to behavior and obviously cheaters. Always better to have Admins on. Hope we get RSP soon.
  • NL73schietdammer
    506 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Yeah i prefer this filter over no filter. But yeah maybe a client side - NON default - option to remove it.
  • VincentNZ
    2906 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Censorship is toxic.

It is not censorship, it is a filter. You are still able to voice your opinion on a variety of subjects including the inferiority of certain skintones and genders. People mix that up a lot. Yeah I would like the filter removed or tweaked, as I do think trashtalk is essential, and certain rather normal words in different languages are filtered out, which is detrimental to communication in a supposedly team oriented game.
  • LEGIJAS_CCCC
    145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    REMOVE
  • Texator
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    Censorship is toxic.

It is not censorship, it is a filter.
    Yes Vincent censorship is a filter. It filter out things that are not allowed.
    But at the point when people are not free to disable it it turns to a bad thing.
    Btw, because of a filter they burned books in germany a few decades ago and we all know how that ended, we play it in this game.
    I hate the profanity filter, i am a gamer since C64 times and some enraging and swearing is a must in fps.
    Someone who simulate to kill people in a game should not be so touchy when it comes to some swearing.

• VincentNZ
    2906 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Texator said:
    VincentNZ said:
    Censorship is toxic.

It is not censorship, it is a filter.
    Yes Vincent censorship is a filter. It filter out things that are not allowed.
    But at the point when people are not free to disable it it turns to a bad thing.
    Btw, because of a filter they burned books in germany a few decades ago and we all know how that ended, we play it in this game.
    I hate the profanity filter, i am a gamer since C64 times and some enraging and swearing is a must in fps.
    Someone who simulate to kill people in a game should not be so touchy when it comes to some swearing.

Again, you confuse the two things, as they are separate.
    For example:
    The "N-word" or "son of a b.." These are filtered. You are still allowed to write them, they just do not show.
    Saying: "People of certain skintone are inferior" and "You are an offspring of a women of negotiable affection" is a-OK in chat. Otherwise this would be censorship, as in freedom of speech.
    Now one reason to have a filter is simple. You do have a filter in RL as well, since it would have ramifications to call someone names. In many countries around the world insulting can be prosecuted. You could be fined or arrested.
    You are free to voice your opinion, although again as soon as it infringes the dignity of a human being your freedom of speech is trumped in many countries around the world. That again is not censorship. In a game world this would mean a ban or other detrimental effects, when you call someone names. Not censorship.
    Burning books is indeed censorship, as it actively prevents you from voicing your opinions even in a neutral manner. The game equivalent would be to ban you for voicing your opinion that the game is subbpar, even though you did not use profanity.
    Personally I think trashtalk is part of a competitive game and certain leeway should not be a problem, yet obviously real world common sense should apply. As for this filter it is indeed subpar, as it bans a whole lot of rather absurd words and is not language specific.
  • SilkWildey
    1031 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    OskooI_007 wrote: »
    Censorship is toxic.

This.

• llPhantom_Limbll
    5483 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's been a year since Dice said there is a "possibility" to make the filter optional. So it's safe to assume nothing will be done and &*^%$%$ stuff in chat stays.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2896 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    "£$%$£&$%^%^£%&$%^%£$^%$%, £$^$*%^&$%^. $%&$&%^*%? E%$^$%&%&$%^,,,"