Weekly BF

This is why fog mechanics in bf1 are bad

RRedux
677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited October 17

Comments

• ssjsnoop
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Fog is one of the only things in this game mechanic-wise that I dislike.

Maybe if it was done better but as it stands it's an annoyance that has never improved the gameplay for me.
  • the_yakuza17
    176 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't mind it too much except it's weird that the fog actually goes INSIDE buildings. Other than that, it does add to the battlefield atmosphere, IMHO. I'm sure scouts and pilots hate it though!
  • RRedux
    677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I was referring to the fact that fog just... goes away magically if you use a scope.

I haven't actually checked to see if it is for all scopes, or just the scout ones, I will check that today.
  • disposalist
    8677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    RRedux said:
    I was referring to the fact that fog just... goes away magically if you use a scope.

I haven't actually checked to see if it is for all scopes, or just the scout ones, I will check that today.
    I've noticed this before.  I'm pretty sure it happens on all scopes (I don't use sniper rifles and have noticed it, so it must happen on optical/ladder sights on the SMLE carbine for example).

As much as I dislike sniper rifles, I don't really object to them having some facility to 'penetrate' fog.  It is a slow 'clearing' of the image and so fog still impairs them without making scopes useless.

Target acquisition in peripheral and un-scoped vision is still effected.

But, yeah, I know what you mean.  It can only be intentional, I think.
  • Forkbeard84
    1617 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Also I’ve heard the fog is generated client side and sometimes players in the same game might have fog while other players have none. Not very fair.
  • disposalist
    8677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Also I’ve heard the fog is generated client side and sometimes players in the same game might have fog while other players have none. Not very fair.
    I've heard that, but never in many many hours playing with RL friends in Discord, experienced it.  I think it's extremely rare, whereas the scope cutting through fog happens all the time.
  • Trokey66
    8560 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I've heard that, but never in many many hours playing with RL friends in Discord, experienced it.  I think it's extremely rare, whereas the scope cutting through fog happens all the time.

It happened to me and a good few mates, same with sand storm.
  • boutneus
    2475 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    More of a nuisance cause it happens AFTER you pick a class / load out. There’s no heads up on it going to occur. So should I just hit the redeployment button because fog decided to roll in?  :|
  • Ronin9572
    928 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I've experienced this 2 times playing with friends in a party. The 1st time my friend was on the other team complaining about how foggy it was and on my end was clear and sunny! 2nd time this happened to me it was the other way around. As far as the scope cutting thru the fog, sometimes it's not too bad and other times you can't even see the end of your barrel! That's very odd
  • boutneus
    2475 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
     there’s 3 types of fog: 1) more of a haze where you can still see silhouettes in the distance 2) pea soup where you can barely see the front of your gun 3) not really fog it’s supposed to represent sleet rain but it feels like a smokey type of fog when playing
  • MarxistDictator
    4958 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah some maps with fog it's so bad you can't even see where the ground is until you break the line like 10' above the ground when flying. I spawned a destroyer on Cape Helles in fog the other day and literally the entire screen was grey there was no map.

Other maps like ballroom and grappe you can actually still see the ground in a plane and a good range in front of you on the ground just can't spot anybody. Despite this scopes seem to increase the draw distance so they can see but not really be countered like they can normally so it's not my favorite condition.
  • JayB33_UK
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It's a lifesaver when you're playing cavalry. Actually gives you a chance against artillery trucks.
  • mongoeasy
    103 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 22
    Don't mind foggy maps. Good change of pace. I always use it to move to a good spot or try a flank I otherwise wouldn't survive. I recall a couple of times that I got shot and killed from a distance while I was wading through thick soup so all I could see were my own feet. Really annoying. As with smoke: I don't trust the game graphics to be 100% accurate. 
  • WetFishDB
    2053 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It changes up the gameplay and you have to engage in CQC more.  It *sometimes* goes on too long, but what is wrong with a change in tactics every now and again?

Unless you're the type of player that only ever plays one class and one weapon and one game mode, I suppose...

I'd like to see more weather effects.  More rain and thunder and lightning.
    I agree.  Can you imagine how cool if weather AND time of day was generated programmatically.  So occasionally each map would be at dawn, midday, dusk etc.  It would really increase the variety in gameplay. Argonne in the rain every once in a while, Amiens in the evening.  I think it would be amazing.
  • Colt6940H
    2 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Played three Operations games today , one after the other fog rolled in towards the end of the game as the defense side was losing. Three different maps too. Fog mid day in the desert just seems weird. By the third game I was getting pissed. We get
    Fog where I live. Light fog in the mornings and usually in the hollows. Not in the middle of the day after a clear morning.
  • disposalist
    WetFishDB said:
    It changes up the gameplay and you have to engage in CQC more.  It *sometimes* goes on too long, but what is wrong with a change in tactics every now and again?

Unless you're the type of player that only ever plays one class and one weapon and one game mode, I suppose...

I'd like to see more weather effects.  More rain and thunder and lightning.
    I agree.  Can you imagine how cool if weather AND time of day was generated programmatically.  So occasionally each map would be at dawn, midday, dusk etc.  It would really increase the variety in gameplay. Argonne in the rain every once in a while, Amiens in the evening.  I think it would be amazing.
    I'm sure in the beta that Sinai did move through times of day, with glaring, high contrast, shadowy situations at midday and more hazey, low contrast before and after.  Pretty sure I remember DICE saying time of day and lighting would change.

I vaguely recall people complaining that inclement conditions it interfered with their KD padding.
  • WetFishDB
    2053 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I'm sure in the beta that Sinai did move through times of day, with glaring, high contrast, shadowy situations at midday and more hazey, low contrast before and after.  Pretty sure I remember DICE saying time of day and lighting would change.

I vaguely recall people complaining that inclement conditions it interfered with their KD padding.

Such a shame that got dropped. Really would have made this game leagues above everything else.
  • Titan_Awaken
    804 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB said:
    (Quote)

Such a shame that got dropped. Really would have made this game leagues above everything else.
    It certainly would have made the game more interesting, dynamic and better but but leagues above everything else? Ehh, probably not.

A lot of games, especially the good (open-world) ones, have been implementing day-night cycles and weather events for quite a while now. One could even argue that it's becoming common practice now.
  • WetFishDB
    (Quote)
    It certainly would have made the game more interesting, dynamic and better but but leagues above everything else? Ehh, probably not.

A lot of games, especially the good (open-world) ones, have been implementing day-night cycles and weather events for quite a while now. One could even argue that it's becoming common practice now.

I was referring to this genre, not every game out there. Although personally, I can’t stand those boring open world, wandering around for hours doing very little, type games - but that’s just personal preference.

In FPS it’s not common at all. But here’s hoping in the future it does become so.