Can I run BFV from an external backup HDD

-aarp-19Crib
716 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
BFV has gotten too fat for my HDD. I’ve got a solid state back up with space. Is this doable?

Comments

• Carbonic
    1574 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited October 18
    Right-click the game in Origin and click "move game".
    Now, moving to a secondary internal harddrive should be fine, however, external harddrives using USB etc. to connect tend to be too slow in certain aspects and it could give FPS spikes or just slower loading speeds but I can't tell if that is the case for you.
    Post edited by Carbonic on
  • CosmicStriker
    737 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    if you have your external hooked to your USB3 port , you know the one with the blue tab not the black tab in the port , then it should be ok, once the game is loaded .
  • -aarp-19Crib
    716 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Cosmic, should I use the “move” command as Carbonic suggested? 
    Or just reinstall? 
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    589 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Moving it will be simpler - unless you have a very fast connection, you'll get better throughput over USB3.0 and above. If you have a Thunderbolt 3 drive, you should be able to transfer the files in the GB/s range - an order of magnitude faster than downloading it again (depending on the SSD in the caddy, of course).

Personally, I wouldn't move the game if the drive wasn't on a Thunderbolt port.

• -aarp-19Crib
    edited October 19
    I didn’t work. I’m going to uninstall and reinstall on C. It said 75 gigs, I’ve got 114. So I don’t know what the deals is. I’ll be bock...

Well it is working on my C drive as designed. I have no idea why the first time it said I didn't have enough space. All I can figure is that uninstalling delected some junk, making some head room.

Thanks of all your help. The external drive with 3.x USB didn't work, and I got error messages. But what he hey, it's all good now!

Post edited by -aarp-19Crib on
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    589 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You can get rid of your hibernation file and move the page file to another drive. That will free up a good few GB of space.
  • -aarp-19Crib
    Forgot about that. Would you refresh my memory on the whys and wherefores? 
    Thats going back to the Windoze 7 days!