Weekly BF

Ray Tracing Explosion reflections reduced? 2080ti vs 2070 Super

SalonTurbo12
2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Long story short!
I played single campaign on RTX 2080Ti until about June 2019 and then i sold my graphics card.
Here is the screenshot of barrel explosions and reflections on RTX 2080Ti June 2019 (RTX ON on ULTRA)

Fast forward to present time, now i run this game on RTX 2070 Super  (RTX ON on ULTRA)

another image on 2070 super RTX ON (ULTRA)

Apologize for fuzzy screenshots but this best comparison i got.
So the million dollar question is:
-Did BF V Released new update that reduced/changed reflections in single campaign ?
-Does BF V detect i have lower end RTX 2070 Super and reduce/change RTX reflections ?
-Something else or possible bug?

The other two RTX games i have look identical on RTX 2070 Super including quake 2 RTX, and Metro RTX!

Anyone else notice this issue in BF V?
I should also mention RTX reflections do work and reflect the surrounding but not explosions.
I can provide more screens upon request.
Please help me figure this out

Comments

• LOLGotYerTags
    13317 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I'll have to check when I get home but I'll post up my findings on nordlys.
  • SalonTurbo12
    I'll have to check when I get home but I'll post up my findings on nordlys.
    please do, because i can't figure it out. BTW i did re-install game twice (can't rollback updates unfortunately). Let me know what RTX graphics card you're using.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13317 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Well you're not seeing things.

I noted though that you said you'd played with RTX on until about June,  Wasn't this around the time that DICE optimised DXR in BFV due to it having an enormous impact on performance?

It could be that the amount of raytracing "traces" have been reduced to smoothen out performance issues and that's why you're not seeing the same effects now as you did pre-patch.

My settings ingame are as follows 

I don't believe it's your hardware but I do think that what you're seeing now is a direct response to how poorly DXR performed pre-patch so yeah I think a lot of the effects have been toned down.

RTX2080Ti Founders Edition,  btw.
  • Nutcrusherr
    283 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Too bad tho, it looks awesome on the first pic..
  • CSO7777
    1309 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Too bad tho, it looks awesome on the first pic..
    Yeah, ray-tracing will look awesome, when the GPUs gets fast enough to handle it.
  • Nutcrusherr
    283 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    CSO7777 wrote: »
    (Quote)
    Yeah, ray-tracing will look awesome, when the GPUs gets fast enough to handle it.

In single player its okay. In mp not so much. I've tried different settings, Tried what lolgot recommended with the filters and dlss on but its still bad visualy with dlls. Without it i got 80-100 by lowering some other settings but still had that fps dropped in most important times. Was rare but annoying enough to turn it off again and get back to my sweet 144 fps/hz. Too bad tho cos it rly looks awesome.
  • SalonTurbo12
    Well you're not seeing things.

I noted though that you said you'd played with RTX on until about June,  Wasn't this around the time that DICE optimised DXR in BFV due to it having an enormous impact on performance?

It could be that the amount of raytracing "traces" have been reduced to smoothen out performance issues and that's why you're not seeing the same effects now as you did pre-patch.

My settings ingame are as follows 

I don't believe it's your hardware but I do think that what you're seeing now is a direct response to how poorly DXR performed pre-patch so yeah I think a lot of the effects have been toned down.

RTX2080Ti Founders Edition,  btw.
    Thanks for the comparison, at least we know the update killed it and 2080ti and 2070s both look same.
    I truly enjoyed this game mainly because of RTX but DICE/EA killed it and blocked all options to roll back updates! (including single camping)

in addition, i also tried modifying config file and increased 
    GstRender.RaytraceReflectionQuality 3
    to
    GstRender.RaytraceReflectionQuality 4

The location of config file is here if u need it:
    C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Battlefield V\settings\PROFSAVE_profile

^this dropped FPS very noticeably (and i went like this is it)  but still no improvements on explosion reflections what so ever.
    I'm out of ideas for now so i will uninstall this game and enjoy only Quake 2 RTX :(
    Thanks everyone for your input!

EA  if you reading this...shame on you! 
  • LOLGotYerTags
    Thanks for the comparison, at least we know the update killed it and 2080ti and 2070s both look same.
    I truly enjoyed this game mainly because of RTX but DICE/EA killed it and blocked all options to roll back updates! (including single camping)

in addition, i also tried modifying config file and increased 
    GstRender.RaytraceReflectionQuality 3
    to
    GstRender.RaytraceReflectionQuality 4

The location of config file is here if u need it:
    C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Battlefield V\settings\PROFSAVE_profile

^this dropped FPS very noticeably (and i went like this is it)  but still no improvements on explosion reflections what so ever.
    I'm out of ideas for now so i will uninstall this game and enjoy only Quake 2 RTX :(
    Thanks everyone for your input!

EA  if you reading this...shame on you! 
    Dont blame EA,  They're just the publishers,  And I wouldnt go as far as blaming DICE either.

The raytracing function could have also been nerfed by Nvidia via driver updates too.

You only need to see video showing raytracing in bfv when it was first implemented where framerates are compared on ultra,  high,  medium and low and the performance hit was near gamebreaking.

• Matty101yttam
    1058 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The newer images don't even look like raytracing is enabled for explosions, the glow is lighting related not texture/tracing.
    Get the same thing dropping orange light on normal maps without raytracing.
  • Jinko_itx
    739 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 22
    that update with oiptimizing ray tracing back a few months ago, they balanced out the ray tracing because areas that didn't need ray tracing there was too much and other areas that wasn't enough, they fixed it, besides the reflections that explosions put out, I don't think it has anything to do with the ray tracing itself, now as for lighting, they could of adjusted it so lower end hardware can run it better at the cost of higher end hardware. lighting is not raytraced in this game, only reflections.

EDIT: going for a 2080 it which is 11 gig or vram to 2070 super that is 8 gig of vram can make a small difference as well as in that map I use a little over 9 gig of vram
  • Jinko_itx
    739 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    as I mention this when I can, try turning on gpu restricted memory, having is off means you are sharing your system ram with your vram which is not good as system ram is much slower than vram so it can give you microstutters, it may cost you some visual performance too i haven't looked...
  • LOLGotYerTags
    Jinko_itx said:
    as I mention this when I can, try turning on gpu restricted memory, having is off means you are sharing your system ram with your vram which is not good as system ram is much slower than vram so it can give you microstutters, it may cost you some visual performance too i haven't looked...
    Ohhh.. So GPU restricted memory limits the usage of memory to purely use the vram rather than sharing DDR ram with Vram 
  • CSO7777
    1309 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jinko_itx said:
    Ohhh.. So GPU restricted memory limits the usage of memory to purely use the vram rather than sharing DDR ram with Vram 
    As far as I know, it has something to do with how the game uses VRAM, and enabling it makes the game do more checks to avoid crashes (by not using more than available VRAM). I guess most textures are loaded to RAM before being copied to the GPU anyway (but I could be wrong about this). It doesn't change the visuals at all.

Turning it on should mean (probably a very small) reduction in performance. If the game is stable without turning it on then that should be preferred.

And we want the game to use as much RAM as possible (for caching textures etc), reading from HDD/SSD is much slower than reading from RAM (often more than 10 times slower).
  • YourLocalPlumber
    3027 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This is like BF1's gas grenade downgrade all over again.