Sincere thoughts from a Battlefield guy since 1942.

duellingcarl
160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Played the beta and disliked it so much. Still, I preordered the delux version hoping DICE was sincere in their letter to the fans about making changes based on feedback. The game launch in the same state as the beta anyway. Once they started surveys about what to change with the game I knew they didn't have a clue why the game was subpar. So I had this game sitting here for 11 months with achievements waiting to be unlocked so I gave it a go. Last week I had a great experience with the game. Not as great as I didn't with BF1 but still better than I thought I would. This past Tuesday there was an update for Xbox and since the game is unplayable for me. My gun seems to not do much if any damage and guys seem to one shot me nearly every death. My k/d was much better preupdate and now I'm struggling not to throw my controller. The whole game feels so laggy and delayed now that I feel like I'm playing PUBG. Footsteps aren't as clear and loud as BF1. Classes are so poorly balanced and the medic guns are just trash. Medic is always my class in BF games though I can play any kit well. Sometimes it's so hard to distinguish friend from foe. The little blue dot takes a second or two to appear. This was also much better in previous BF games. There isn't one memorable map. On a plus side the graphics are an improvement over BF1. 

Xbox one X SSD 4K HDR hard wired 500+ down 7 up 17 ms avg latency to US East servers. 

Comments

• SevenSe7en7
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am a player from 1942 as well and the most fun I had with Battlefield V was deleting it. Do like I and many many others have done and never look back. You will be much happier for it.
  • OskooI_007
    1415 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2019
    I pop in every couple of months and play a few rounds of BFV to check out patches and new maps. That's about it though. I don't find BFV much fun compared to past Battlefield titles.

1942 is fun. :smile:
    Post edited by OskooI_007 on
  • M_Rat13
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Honestly, when I got it around Christmas 2018, that was it's best state. It just seems to keep going downhill. Playing BF1 mostly now, but will probably try out the Pacific Theatre and unlock some of the new weapons, but that's it.
  • I-Soldat-I
    1644 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm  a long time BF fan from BF42, played and owned every iteration and skipped this version with its injection of SJW but the Pacific sure does look good! Edit: I found a brand new copy for my PS4 on eBay for $20, as a long time PC player,  I know the PC platform is ridden with cheaters. The console on the other hand should be a rare occurance....For $20 I can't go wrong
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think DICE likes to experiment and change things up for every game, most of the main games are pretty different and the Bad Company spin-offs are radically different. It's clear that DICE really really missed the mark on BFV. I know I, and a lot of others, complained that BF1 was a little too "casual" with the inclusion of Elites, Behemoths, the EZ-mode melee and sniping etc., but then DICE took it too far in the other direction and tried to make BFV a tacticool shooter with all the hardcore-lite features like attrition, the removal of spotting, addition of a million animations for everything etc.

It doesn't fit with the arcadey fun of previous titles and is a major turn-off. It's not a bad game (at least now that most of the major bugs are ironed out), it's just a bad Battlefield game.
  • Hawxxeye
    7945 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    So much for BFV being a "back to the roots" game :D
  • g0merpile
    753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Count me in this topic, ea has not listened to us at all. Planes that start off in the sky. Wake island was so fun, there were so many good times is bf42. I hated that sub.
  • Asti223
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    We dont even have to look back to BF1942 for what made BF games great. Look at BF1943 and Bad Company Vietnam. Two different games that only supported 24-32 players if I recall. Yet, both felt so battlefield. There were classes with very specific kits and faction locked weapons. I dont think anyone was clamoring for specific customizations or having red dot sights on my Kar98k... It wasn't about the cool skins but rather the feeling that you were part of a larger battle, working together. The immersion was the best part! Now we've got every soldier dressed differently, using other factions weapons, with women on front-lines. I dont even care about the women part but god damn how is that supposed to immerse us into this epic and beautiful battlefield the developers have tried to recreate? At this point, I think most BF fans would be perfectly ok with a remaster of 1942/1943 exactly as they were with just some modern day tweaks and graphic overhauls. This is why a indie game like Hell Let Loose is getting so much praise from WW2 fans while BFV isn't. The worst part is there are probably some executives looking at the BFV numbers claiming "I guess no one wanted WW2 games anymore!" 

Frustrating. 
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1286 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I did not play '42.  I started Battlefield a little later.  But I think that BF5 is not for me.  Corporation politics aside, I just did not have fun with this title.  I had really high hopes for a WW2 shooter done right.  What I see before me is a PC SJW version of a first person shooter.
  • sabootheshaman
    1259 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I did not play '42.  I started Battlefield a little later.  But I think that BF5 is not for me.  Corporation politics aside, I just did not have fun with this title.  I had really high hopes for a WW2 shooter done right.  What I see before me is a PC SJW version of a first person shooter.

Dang those wimmen ruining ur ‘mersion ...
  • MarauderFox
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    That's a guarantee for any game to be terrible; I have never seen otherwise and anyone who believes it gets their hopes and expectations crushed
  • ragnarok013
    3942 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    BGHFlakjacket Keep the discussion away from political issues.

Dang those wimmen ruining ur ‘mersion ...
    sabootheshaman let's not bait anyone into a political discussion or flame war.

• StupidNameHere
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The problem with this game is it wants to be call of duty but those people are off playing call of duty and we're stuck with this.
    I've been playing CoDMobile recently and came back last night. All my CoD tricks work in battlefield! I was playing different and IMMEDIATELY was rewarded. Not kidding. Drunk AF and running around. This game isn't made for tactics, it's made for my ADHD.
  • SunnyTheWerewolf
    482 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BF1942 was great, and especially the Desert Combat mode for it, but I haven't played it since BF2 came out, so time has certainly blurred my recollection of the playing experience.

Time was different, expectations were different and people were different.

Memories are great, but it's no use living in the past.

I enjoy BFV and play it regularly, though not daily, but I certainly don't like many aspects of it. Many people seem to have huge problems with the game, and that's fine, but this is what we have this time around - we can only hope they continue to improve this game and that the next BF will be better.

It's certainly a privilege to be able to play video games in general.
  • c0ldsun
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have also played alpha and beta and i really disliked the gameplay of BFV, too fast and too short TTD. In the first minute after joining the alpha i thought this is COD. I decided not to buy BFV, in my opinion the only language EA understands. So i tried this weekend BFV and had a lot of fun that i have bought the game finally. The movement speed is definately slower and the TTD was slightly longer. Is this the BF i wish to have? still no, but at least it has become playable for me. With upcoming Pacific maps is 20eur a fair deal.
  • supermutant666
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I been playing sense [email protected] and I find it a lot better than bf1 I also own but if flamethrowers come out and are a pick up or squad item I will not buy another battleField game absolutely will not
  • supermutant666
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    1942**
  • Spleen999
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I pop in every couple of months and play a few rounds of BFV to check out patches and new maps. That's about it though. I don't find BFV much fun compared to past Battlefield titles.

1942 is fun. :smile:
    That's pretty much it. I dont recognize the fun I had when playing BF1942, BF2 or BF4. The depth and sense of creative freedom are gone.
    I blame the:
    -dumbing down of gunplay
    -disregard for vehiclegameplay and their intricate balance
    -disregard for huge, classic BF maps that allowed that BF-gameplay
    -shifting focus from teamplay to K/D ratio's
    -DICE trying to mimick CoD to attract more short-term buyers
    That's unfortunately a pretty decent sum up.

I think it's also been hampered by the idea of customisation/ skins/ elites etc making it hard to determine allies, enemies, classes etc. It is harder in BF5 than any other game! I get why they did it, obviously loot boxes are a no go, and DLC splits the community; at the end of the day DICE are a business and need to make money. I just wish there were canon outfits that we could choose to see rather than these custom ones!
  • SirBobdk
    5332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    They must have had another game in mind when talking about going back to the roots. Or else they can't remember.