But, what about those who don't like BF V?

xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
1492 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Apparently, according to founded reports, we will not be seeing another BF game for another two years. That's three years between titles. Some are cheering, in that one, they may have more time to work on the next title. Or two, more content for BF V. Here's the thing, if we put our fandom aside. As to the first point, weren't we told this as the rationale for a two year cycle? How did that work out?

Could a case maybe be made that some of the best BF games were actually on a one year cycle (BC 1, BC2, BF 3 and 4), nonetheless two? Now it's three, and my view is i could almost guarantee, the same issues and problems after a three year cycle. After all, DICE has Battlefront to work on as well that splits the studio, on an in fact more profitable title. BF 1 was a two year, and nothing special there. And of course..BFV was on a two year cycle. Dumpster fire there.

As for the second point, we've heard a year of hype about this pacific front. In the end, we got two maps, a third in yet another couple of months. How much content at this rate could we actually get? 6 maps in two years? 

Finally, given this is the most unpopular title of the franchise by far, and given many may not like BF V, is this the title they really want t milk for three years? And in that time, for many who skipped the title, is EA willing to maybe permanently lose all those players, who will likely be moving onto other franchises?

My feeling is maybe unlike many, no, this is not the right move at all. All they seem to be doing is kicking the can, so they have more time to work on their more profitable title, Battlefront 3, leaving us with the same messes only this time, after three years instead of just two. Could a better case be made, that instead of DICE working on two big titles, maybe relieving DICE from their duties at BF, and have them work full time on Battlefront, and maybe bring Battlefield to Criterion, or even partner with Respawn?

Lets just be frank, BF4, Battlefront,  Battlefront 2, and now BFV have not done well, or at least had huge problems from the onset. To me, it''s blatantly obvious DICE cannot handle it, and are biting off more than they could chew.

Three years is a long time to go without a BF game, particularly when a case really can't be made it would make it any better, which wasn't even EA's contention in their statement, but the fact Apex is now their "primary shooter", and want to focus there. Thanks for listening and any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• thebossman2202
    401 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well they skid off for all I care. BF5 has the potential to make a comeback and currently it feels like a whole new game.

Also, yes BF4 and Battledeont 2 had trouble but they are now considered the best of the best when people play them now. The graphics and overall star wars feel you get when playing Battlefront is second to none. BF4 is hailed by some fans to be the best Battlfield game in history. Personally I see it as BF1.

There are so many things to add, customizations, weapons, maps, features etc etc. This game has the potential to be played even after its done with.

Also APEX has been slowly dripping with content, but if it is made a primary shooter( and currently has over 70 million players) then why wouldnt DICE focus all their energy into those games

Long Story short, the future is looking bright for BF5 and Battlefront 2. There will be continous support and once its all done we'll look back on this moment and continue playing these games into the new generation.

I for one am glad that my two go to mulitplayer games will still be striving for the next couple of years
  • BtheReaper49
    369 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I can't even see myself playing this game for 6 more months never mind 2 more years! I mean sure, the Pacific looks pretty cool but it's going to have to live up to the hype and then they'll have to continue that trend (dare I say make it feel a lot more like BF1) with Eastern and /or Western front content.
    And my god, the bugs still!
    We still have:
    - Couldn't fetch report after game ends
    - press right trigger to fire and the squad screen comes up
    - lousy delay in the fortification animation (hammer shows but you have to move for 2-3 seconds on avg before anything happens)
    - lousy delay in medic revive animation (X to revive shows but then you have to do a short dance, pat his head, and pull his finger before the revive kicks in)
    - TTK/TTD synchronization is still crap
    - still shot around corners constantly
    - hit reg is garbage (with this update I had crosshairs over enemies multiple times while hipfiring and - nothing)

What else am I missing? These issues and others I've certainly missed won't keep me coming back for more.

And there is NO WAY I would run out and get a next gen system to primarily play BF. Not after this frustration...
  • GloriousRepublic
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Good a 3 year dev cycle exactly what BF games need. BF3 had a 3 year cycle and is considered the high water mark for a launch. I'll take that over 18 months and get a game like BFV.
  • warslag
    1606 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    If they're using the same game engine, then there's no way they're going to tie-up DICE by developing a Battlefield game for 3 years. Especially if it's live service. There could be some people working on it but not the herculean effort that players probably envisage. Anyway, you'll probably need to take out a mortgage to pay for a new GPU or CPU by 2022. Have to see how the next lot of consoles turn out.
  • GloriousRepublic
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2019
    warslag wrote: »
    If they're using the same game engine, then there's no way they're going to tie-up DICE by developing a Battlefield game for 3 years. Especially if it's live service. There could be some people working on it but not the herculean effort that players probably envisage. Anyway, you'll probably need to take out a mortgage to pay for a new GPU or CPU by 2022. Have to see how the next lot of consoles turn out.

You have to remember this is Dice and for some reason all the work on mechanics and balancing they put into previous games never seems to carry over. For some odd reason they always seem to start fresh and try to reinvent the wheel. Not to mention the dumpster that was the BFV launch I just don't see them taking any chances this time around. A two year cycle would also put them as a launch game title for the new consoles as well as this gens consoles and PC. They learned from BF4 launching on 5 platforms on a 2 year cycle was to much to handle. It won't happen again. The only way this happens is if Dice LA has already been secretly developing the next game for the last 2 years but my guess is they have been pulled in on BFV this year to get It fixed.
  • MachoFantast1c0
    2067 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Fine by me, means that most likely I will break half a million infantry kills on BF1 before moving on.
  • disposalist
    8851 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    karcyon said:
    BF1 and BF4 are still populated and great games (imho).
    Yes, it's just a shame they didn't give BF1 a very good server program like BF4.  BF1 may not last as well as BF4 has unfortunately.

Part of the reason people like me, who vastly prefer BF1, are so upset with BF5 is that DICE seem happy for BF1 to die and upset 99% of its players if it forces 1% of its players onto BF5.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Those who don't like BFV should not play BFV, and play other games instead.

I wish all problems were this easy to solve!
    This is the proper answer to OP's question.
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1403 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

you know beign a fan makes you do weird stuff right?
    for some its not as easy to just abandon their most adored franchise for the span of x years or play a game they have already sinked 1000+ hours into.
    and if the ppl writing in these forums didn't care for the game they would most likely not post here from the start. so you could assume everyone here cares enough about the game may it be good or bad to take the time and express himself here.
    i for one have been playing BF since BC1 and i just can't see myself abandoning the game i will always find myself back in the menu. i hate the game with a burning passion from time to time and at times i wish DICE would just burst into flame for their absolute lack of balance in this game. but non the less i play hoping to see the game improve giving my feedback when i think appropriate or to vent frustration. live is not black and white its a hell of a lot grey
  • warslag
    1606 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

That's a silly thing to say.

Obviously, a game requires some playing to discover whether you like it. If it's a game in a series that you have enjoyed and put a lot of time into, then it's reasonable to have certain personal expectations of it. But you probably won't get your money back once you've played the game a bit, so whether you like it or not you're stuck with it. Plus games are under continual development these days. So it's also reasonable to think you might be able to influence the development. We've definitely seen that happen with BF:V where a lot of the players have voiced there opinions and got the game changed. If that relationship didn't exist it would be the game producer's who suffered in the end. They have to listen to their customers including the ones who haven't bought the game yet.

I suppose your angle would be a bit like saying "if you don't enjoy reading the forums then stay away". Or "if you don't enjoy watching your football team play then stop supporting them". There'd be no football supporters left. It's equally as silly as telling people not to buy a game or not to play if they don't enjoy it. It's just not reality.
  • sabootheshaman
    1254 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @warslag my football teams had years of poor form that has lead me to not going to games often.

That analogy is flawed as it really says fir a lot of ppl you’re being impatient. Most ppl can see the light at the end of the tunnel and know something they might e joy more could be on the horizon.

When my teams bad I’ll do other things. The solution is quite simple really. At no point did @SirSpectacle say they should abandon the franchise. He just said, go play something else. It’s a simple solution.
  • mrtwotimes
    823 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Rather silly complaining about a corporate plan for next product
  • spartanx169x
    874 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    As I said on another thread in relation to the new Series release schedule,  anybody that thinks this new release schedule is for the betterment of BF is dreaming.   For over 8  months, I have kept track of the vacancies at DICESW.  They have currently 17 vacancies to fill just for Frostbite.  This alone is ridiculous, thats an entire department.  They have another 9 vacancies for Code Programmers.  Nobody wants to work for them.  Even if they fill all those positions this week (which is near impossible, and won't happen),  there is no way they could make a decent game in approximately 20 months. Unless of course they were to take BF1 and simply reskin it for a different theme. I say BF1 because its the most successful from a commercial view and the most stable, hence the least amount of work (even this  they won't do).  and it it my opinion they should not let DRUNK3S anywhere near the next game.

Then compound the fact that the next game will be on new systems.  Another disaster in the making. 
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1492 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Right, and it is that easy. I don't play BF V being i dislike the game. Many or most are in my position. However, that doesn't mean as others said that we dislike the "franchise". BF was one of my most favorite, if not favorite franchise. This game may be a stinker, and that's fine.

But the point of the thread is, we now have to wait two more years for another BF game, where as there is no guarantee it would be any better in that time. And in fact, if this game in a two year cycle is any gauge, it may even be worse going to a three year cycle.

All i know, is my favorite BF games were on an annual cycle. It didn't take them two or three years to make a quality BF game. Just one.

So, my assertion is maybe the answer is just getting it away from DICE, and to a more capable developer, in that at least we can have hope that in two more years, it just as well may be better, being idt it could get much worse. The only way it could get worse, is having a developer that has a track record of such.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1376 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2019
    The people who don't like BFV still have plenty of options available to them.

1. Moan here on the forums for another 2 years about the trajectory of the series.
    2. Continue to play the game regularly, and report back to the forums every so often about how you don't like it after every update.
    3. Say, "3 times scope without glint" 5 times fast.
    4. Reminisce of BF1 glory days. 
    5. Say, "Who asked for this?" When you get content that you didn't want for a game you seldom play.

• warslag
    @warslag my football teams had years of poor form that has lead me to not going to games often.

That analogy is flawed as it really says fir a lot of ppl you’re being impatient. Most ppl can see the light at the end of the tunnel and know something they might e joy more could be on the horizon.

When my teams bad I’ll do other things. The solution is quite simple really. At no point did @SirSpectacle say they should abandon the franchise. He just said, go play something else. It’s a simple solution.
    If your team isn't doing well, and subsequently you stop supporting them, then they are going to find it that much more difficult to improve without your 'support'. Which was entirely my point (that if you do want to be part of something, but aren't enjoying it, that constructive criticism is still of value). But if people are very unhappy, and especially if a lot of people feel like that, then it's still worth taking note of it. Which is clearly what has happened to some extent with BF:V.

If you stop supporting your team, to go and do 'other things', then that doesn't mean your team no longer needs you, or that you're not welcome. In that scenario, you're simply being disloyal.

If DICE wants to cultivate a loyal fan-base, then it must listen to everybody and I think they do. Even though I'm sure it's really frustrating, and it must tempting to ban all criticism or to tell people to get lost. The right thing to do, is to listen to criticism and turn it into something positive. Getting overly sensitive about it and telling people to "not buy it" or "to stop playing" is silly.

The thing with game development is that a game design takes some time to implement. By the time the public gets to hear about what they're doing the devs have already started development. It's like turning around an oil tanker. Which is probably why players feel the need to make their voices heard. They're competing with other opinions and trying to influence their game. A lot like football supporters in a way. What you really don't want is people staying away.
  • Turban_Legend80
    4745 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    As long as the next game works, I don’t care how long it takes to release (within reason).
    Sticking to too strict guidelines when it comes to the next games release date when they probably haven’t even started working on it yet is pretty much always going to result in a broken game at launch.