You can buy weapons for real money?

GeneralXIV
308 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
So, I looked at the Tides of War chapter rewards, and there are two sidearms (a revolver and a pistol) available to unlock. With Battlefield Currency. Are they or will they be statistically identical to weapons that currently exist or...?

Am I the only one who has an issue with this?

Comments

• Noodlesocks
    3740 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They're skins. You still have to unlock the guns normally.
  • PoppaPappo
    241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The Jungle Carbine (medic weapon) is also unlocked this way. It’s super early, though, so you only need to play a couple rounds to get it.
  • iAmAnonymousTom
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Uh, no, they aren't.
  • bran1986
    5913 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

The Jungle Carbine, SW 27 revolver, and Nambu Pistol are unlocked through TOW. PartWelsh said he would have an answer by the end of the week if you can by them with CC if you don't unlock them. My guess is they will probably be added when the chapter ends so you can buy them with CC.
  • Blackidus
    363 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2019
    So much for cosmetic only mtx, this is gameplay mtx.
    Slowly moving back to Battlefront 2 pay to win?
    I asked Braddock about this in another thread and got no answer.

If they go the usual way with chapter reward like with the skins you wont be able to buy them once the chapter is ower.
    Why not put these as challenge rewards in these first weeks? Instead we got skins as rewards in theese challenges.

I know I might be overreacting but things like this make me really worried about what the next step will be.
  • GeneralXIV
    308 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 wrote: »

The Jungle Carbine, SW 27 revolver, and Nambu Pistol are unlocked through TOW. PartWelsh said he would have an answer by the end of the week if you can by them with CC if you don't unlock them. My guess is they will probably be added when the chapter ends so you can buy them with CC.

Giving the ability to buy something with real money and then later adding them into the game for free? It doesn't sound likely. It is, after all, the reason why Tides of War unlocks are never seen again once a chapter is over, and new players can't unlock the full content of the game. When they assign a real money value to something, can they then nullify it and then make the payment completely irrelevant/unnecessary?

This just sucks. Melee weapons being purchased for real money were already not okay with me, but now they are allowing players to pay and take shortcuts to unlock weapons that can have a direct impact on game performance, that -may- not be accessible for new players in the future or people that don't level up high enough in this chapter. Not sure about that yet.

I already considered Battlefield V's system of microtransactions to be too intrusive, like... they rely only on creating a fear of missing out rather than relying on their own merits and they sell every aspect of the game they can for real money, not cosmetics only. And they don't allow company coin purchases for cosmetics either.
  • jroggs
    1227 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Giving the ability to buy something with real money and then later adding them into the game for free? It doesn't sound likely. It is, after all, the reason why Tides of War unlocks are never seen again once a chapter is over, and new players can't unlock the full content of the game. When they assign a real money value to something, can they then nullify it and then make the payment completely irrelevant/unnecessary?

This just sucks. Melee weapons being purchased for real money were already not okay with me, but now they are allowing players to pay and take shortcuts to unlock weapons that can have a direct impact on game performance, that -may- not be accessible for new players in the future or people that don't level up high enough in this chapter. Not sure about that yet.

I already considered Battlefield V's system of microtransactions to be too intrusive, like... they rely only on creating a fear of missing out rather than relying on their own merits and they sell every aspect of the game they can for real money, not cosmetics only. And they don't allow company coin purchases for cosmetics either.
    Tides of War unlocks remain available after the chapter is over. Melee "weapons" are just cosmetic with no gameplay benefit beyond the three available-to-all melee archetypes. Not once as a gameplay-affecting weapon or vehicle not been a available for CC after the end of the ToW week. No aspect of the game has been for sale past cosmetics (and the chapter booster offers only a marginally quicker access to three weapons everyone can earn quickly, which means complaining about that is akin to getting upset that people who get off work or school earlier in the day than you can get ToW unlocks faster). Company Coin buys many cosmetics.

In short, pretty much everything you said was wrong. By any reasonable standards (let alone those of EA) there has been nothing intrusive about BFV's monetization and you can ignore it freely if you have no interest in the cosmetics being offered. And if you really think quicker access to an SMLE reskin or a couple sidearms is going to give anyone a competitive advantage, hoo boy. Wow.
  • bran1986
    5913 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    GeneralXIV wrote: »

There is nothing intrusive about the mictotransactions in BFV, they are literally skins and nothing else. Every gun that was available to be unlocked through weekly challenges has been purchasable through CC if you missed them. Adding weapons through TOW was a way to get in weapons that were pushed back or were intended for the 5v5 mode without using a weekly challenge slot. Dice has shown weapons and vehicles are different from skins and cosmetics.
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    1183 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
  • bran1986
    Yeah that is good and pretty much what we thought was going to happen.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11616 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    Yeah that is good and pretty much what we thought was going to happen.
    *knew
  • DaMutha1
    1511 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Once again, this is nothing new.  Earlier Battlefields sold shortcut kits that let you get all the weapons for a particular class without having to unlock them.