Weekly BF

Has anyone figured out that glider bomb?

2»

Comments

• xeNizKing
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 8
    xeNizKing wrote: »
    (Quote)
    Low altitude, drop slightly earlier than you would normal bombs and you're good. Dropping them too high causes them to either never reach their target or just completely miss the target. Nose aimed dives seem to work from what I can tell, not 100% dives but angled dives. This insures that it "glides" to where your nose is facing if facing downward in any fashion.

And @RamFrog

I think I figured it out on my lunch break. It seems like the most effective hits I was getting were when I aimed my crosshair right on the ground/ target where I want the bomb to land. Kept a level, mid- low altitude, and released somewhere around 300-600 meters away.

I definitely got the vibe the bomb tries to land wherever you directly aim your crosshair on the ground if you're in the right range. Maybe I'm making it up though.
    You've go the right idea, any kind of glide technology requires a trajectory destination so it makes sense that it would work the same way in a game. This is why high altitude doesn't work because you're just leveling it out allowing it to travel as far as possible the problem with that is that if left for too long it eventually explodes even in the air and you're not really giving it a target, outside of the game you would do a leveled out release to hit a target but because this is a game the manner of calculations a player would need to make to do this efficiently would take too long so pointing it down directly at the target allows it to glide briefly but immediately into a nose dive straight after right at the target you aimed at its just far more efficient and less likely to waste the payload.
  • Hawxxeye
    6281 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    xeNizKing said:
    (Quote)
    Low altitude, drop slightly earlier than you would normal bombs and you're good. Dropping them too high causes them to either never reach their target or just completely miss the target. Nose aimed dives seem to work from what I can tell, not 100% dives but angled dives. This insures that it "glides" to where your nose is facing if facing downward in any fashion.

And @RamFrog

I think I figured it out on my lunch break. It seems like the most effective hits I was getting were when I aimed my crosshair right on the ground/ target where I want the bomb to land. Kept a level, mid- low altitude, and released somewhere around 300-600 meters away.

I definitely got the vibe the bomb tries to land wherever you directly aim your crosshair on the ground if you're in the right range. Maybe I'm making it up though.
    You've go the right idea, any kind of glide technology requires a trajectory destination so it makes sense that it would work the same way in a game. This is why high altitude doesn't work because you're just leveling it out allowing it to travel as far as possible the problem with that is that if left for too long it eventually explodes even in the air and you're not really giving it a target, outside of the game you would do a leveled out release to hit a target but because this is a game the manner of calculations a player would need to make to do this efficiently would take too long so pointing it down directly at the target allows it to glide briefly but immediately into a nose dive straight after right at the target you aimed at its just far more efficient and less likely to waste the payload.
    They really need to close their ears to the nay sayers and let all the bombs have some sort of bombing sights.

• RamFrog
    75 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 8
    (Quote)

And @RamFrog

Tried it once again, with all the advice from this thread. I think you are right. As long as the plane is not drifting at all, you can release the bomb from ranges mentioned in the quote and it wil hit where the crosshairs are. 

Damage is good but flight takes so long, that it's best suited against fixed positions and high traffic areas. Cool weapon and I'll try to get some proper results with it too. Thanks @ChickenTheTank and others
  • RamFrog
    75 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why is quoting so hard on this forum?
  • WesleyF09
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 9
    xeNizKing said:

Low altitude bombing is a very risky option nowadays, due to those Fliegerfaust squadrons...

I was trying to make a dive or angled bombing out of the range of the Fliegerfausts and the glider bomb seems to hit where you are aiming, but it didn't work 100% of the times...

There must be a "perfect" angle and altitude to make the glider hits where you are aiming (using inside cockpit sights)

Edit: "100% of the times"
  • ChickenTheTank
    504 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    RamFrog wrote: »
    Why is quoting so hard on this forum?

I also hate how hard quoting is on the forum!

Happy to help :) have fun bombing!
  • MARINEav8r
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Historically, the German and early US glide bombs were remote controlled. Later, the US developed guided glide bombs, two of which, the “pelican” and it’s successor “bat” look the closest to what’s in the game. The Pelican used semi-active radar homing, and the Bat used active radar homing. They were particularly successful in anti-ship warfare. While the PB4Y Privateer was the most common delivery aircraft, the Corsair, Helldiver, and Avenger were also used. I am wondering if they will be adding the guidance to the game later, or if they nixed it in the name of balancing. http://https//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-N-2_Bat

• xeNizKing
    497 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    xeNizKing said:
    (Quote)

And @RamFrog

They really need to close their ears to the nay sayers and let all the bombs have some sort of bombing sights.

You mean like the Targeting Scope japnese bombers had when they flew over pearl harbour so they could identify the ships and such? 

That would actually be pretty cool if thats what you mean't i'd like that. It would have a balanced counter for use in that it would require the pilot to only either fly or target and would have to choose. Could be interesting.
  • Hawxxeye
    6281 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    xeNizKing said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    xeNizKing said:
    (Quote)

And @RamFrog

You mean like the Targeting Scope japnese bombers had when they flew over pearl harbour so they could identify the ships and such? 

That would actually be pretty cool if thats what you mean't i'd like that. It would have a balanced counter for use in that it would require the pilot to only either fly or target and would have to choose. Could be interesting.
    I meant the bombing sights from BF1 but please do share footage of these pearl harbor sights, I would like to see them
  • xeNizKing
    edited November 17
    Hawxxeye said:
    xeNizKing said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    xeNizKing said:
    (Quote)

And @RamFrog

I meant the bombing sights from BF1 but please do share footage of these pearl harbor sights, I would like to see them
    I unfortunately can't find any I have been looking but then japanese war footage isn't exactly and easy access, but if this helps the plane is "Aichi D3A1" though its not war footage, if you watch the movie TORA! TORA! TORA! they actually use replicas and mothballed left overs from the war for the Japanese planes in that movie and due to when it was made this leads me to believe they are genuine they tended to go all out with trying to make their war movies vehicles as convincing as possible in most cases finding a way to use actual vehicles from the war as it was better than building them and they were much more common back then compared to now due to it being only a couple of decades after the war.

The only downside is that the scopes in the Aichi are intended for a second person to be available. but something like that for the pilot might work it just wouldn't be very realistic. The bombers already have bomb scopes in cockpit formatt so I dont see why anything equiped with a glidebomb couldn't though... I am not too sure how it would work on a glidebomb seeing as they you know...glide haha
  • BaronVonGoon
    6939 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 17
    I'm a below average pilot -- a little worse than that, can someone tell me why my Corsair 250lbx2 bombs do so little damage? I have to make 5 runs to get 1 kill lol

Don't bother giving me dog fighting tips it's a waste of your time I'll never learn to dog fight I suck.
  • BtheReaper49
    310 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 17
    I'm a below average pilot -- a little worse than that, can someone tell me why my Corsair 250lbx2 bombs do so little damage? I have to make 5 runs to get 1 kill lol

Don't bother giving me dog fighting tips it's a waste of your time I'll never learn to dog fight I suck.

Don't know but you're right...the 250 lb bombs sre pretty terrible. You basically have to drop them directly on an enemies head. They don't have any splash damage. Once I got to level 6, I changed them over to the 2x incendiary bombs!! Those can work very well!
  • SendTheInfantry
    788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    CT1924 said:
    How did you unlock it already?!
    Dogfighting up to level 2 then taking the HE 20mm gun to farm infantry for XP.
    Now I got  both the Zeros level 6, the bomber Coshair level 6 and the fighter corshair level 3.
    I am focusing only on flying this week until all the planes are maxed cause I know it will be HELL to level planes once the enemies start having max level planes with improved surface controls.
    I am also trying to finish the leveling before DICE maybe nerfs the HE cannons
    The rockets, shooting them at tanks often gives you many points too.
  • TheGM86
    806 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Don't know but you're right...the 250 lb bombs sre pretty terrible. You basically have to drop them directly on an enemies head. They don't have any splash damage. Once I got to level 6, I changed them over to the 2x incendiary bombs!! Those can work very well!
    Also the fact how much pitch and roll will throw your bombs away if it is off just by a little. In game you planes slide everywhere, while in dogfighting you can use that to your advantage you tactically have to fight against it when trying to bomb things.

I've found the glider bomb to be great at taking out AA Grump sitting on their cannons being grumpy but you got to remember about that pitch and roll or who knows where that this gonna go.
  • Hawxxeye
    Hawxxeye said:
    CT1924 said:
    How did you unlock it already?!
    Dogfighting up to level 2 then taking the HE 20mm gun to farm infantry for XP.
    Now I got  both the Zeros level 6, the bomber Coshair level 6 and the fighter corshair level 3.
    I am focusing only on flying this week until all the planes are maxed cause I know it will be HELL to level planes once the enemies start having max level planes with improved surface controls.
    I am also trying to finish the leveling before DICE maybe nerfs the HE cannons
    The rockets, shooting them at tanks often gives you many points too.
    The stationary turrets are even better a target, I had forgotten
  • M_Rat13
    1357 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Boom and Zoom. Anyone can do it. You just need the 6x HMGs, and the manual supercharger. Climb high with the supercharger, then dive down on any enemy planes you see. If you don't kill them when you pass them, don't turn to dogfight, climb back up to a safe altitude. Rinse and repeat.