Weekly BF

Improving Spotting, Amend Game Flow Features & Opinion Piece

Yay4TanksToo
1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
Morning All,

SPOTTING

I would like to suggest some changes to the spotting system with in BFV. I've come from BF3, Bad Company, BF4 and have thoroughly enjoyed every single one; never really felt annoyed or irritated by anything that was a part of the franchise until now.

I feel there needs to be, at the very least, 2D spotting for all players on the minimap and a red dot on the map when you are in close proximity to an enemy firing their weapon. I am irritated to no end that I cannot spot an enemy for my friends. "I'm down, they're over there by that (bunker, house, tree, hill, etc). Which (bunker, house, tree, hill, etc)?" A simple 2D spot and a red dot on the map would alleviate this, not having it makes teamwork based on simple verbal communication near impossible. I cannot enjoy the game with friends as much as I used to and that saddens me. The game is ok if you're playing solo but this inability know what's going on around you makes team play very difficult. I am not suggesting BF4 style 3D dorito spotting but something that will meet half way.

GAME FLOW FEATURES

I am referring to the automated entering and exiting vehicles animation. I head shot an enemy climbing out of his tank a few days back and I thought that sucked. Yes you could argue that it's realistic to have these animations but this is a game, there was never a need for these animations in the past so why do we need them now? I feel they break the flow of the game completely; fast paced action to a nonchalant animation I cannot control. There does appear to be some inconsistencies within the game regarding this feature, almost every vehicle has an enter, exit or change seat animation apart from the rhib boat and change standing position in the landing craft on Pacific Islands. It actually feels good to enter a vehicle immediately, game pace continued and for a split second it felt like an old school BF game. Maybe I want to get into those close quarters fights with a tank as an engineer and steal it from them when they jump out. It's not realistic at all but it was great quick thinking fun. What's happened to the famous Jeep Stuff? All of that has been removed with the addition of these animations.

OPINION PEICE

Having the option to do these things is what made the BF franchise fun for me. I feel as though between BF4 and BF1/V a deliberate effort was made to remove all of the features that made previous titles fun, it's all work and no play. Maybe there's a small amount of pining for the old days here, I do miss watching the likes of PonyLion, StunGravy, Chaboy, Azzy, Neebs Gaming, JackFragz, Matimi0, LevelCap, etc all collaborating, having fun but also PTFOing. Maybe the world of gaming has changed and it's not what it used to be but I feel that changing a tried and tested formula isn't always a good thing for the majority. Perhaps I am in the minority group that dislikes the changes, I really don't know. All I know is the game feels different and I miss the fun I used to have.

Comments

• MrCamp121
    660 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Lol..MORE spotting? Theres already way too damn much. I get shot by a sniper..oh im spotted because of it. Oh im suppressed by an MMG, oh im spotted again. Its utter trash. Flares covering objectives six times over. This game is intolerable 99% of the time with this cheese
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2974 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm not sold on the idea of 2d spotting. Any decent BF3/4 player will tell you that he spends more time looking at the minimap instead of looking forward because the minimap gives way too much information. I've had my minimap take 1/4 of my screen because of it. Same goes for any skilled BF3/4 player. You can easily look it up.

It was a very hard habit to brake in BF1 when Dice removed auto spot whenever someone shot his weapon. I was constantly glancing on my minimap whenever someone pulled the trigger. In BF5 they've brought it a step further by almost eliminating 3d spotting. But now with completely unnecessary flare buff, any game of Breakthrough or any other clustered mode becomes flare fest where everyone is constantly marked, which denies any kind of strategy except for clustering into a pile and pushing onward.

As for animations, they don't really bother me.I've learned to play around them. You want Jihad Jeeps back? Have mercy on BF5 tanks...
  • MusicienElegant
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The animations are to help remove the instant pop out of tanks. Helps the attacking player get the kill and the losing player play more tactically - time the exit properly. I actually prefer this so my enemy can't just pop out of a tank or plane last minute and survive.
  • MrCamp121
    660 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    xeNizKing wrote: »
    (Quote)
    "too much" where have you been the last 5 battlefield games? 

I didnt even know people had an issue with it until all the youtubers started whining about it. (seriously their ability to rile up reddit and this board with their "opinions" and essentially assemble an army to get their opinion turned into a balance patch is loathsome)

I dont think youve seen my posts arguing with people on here that BF1 was nothing but a dorito shooting simulator. Im well aware. However, why are we bringing that garbage back into BF5?
  • Yay4TanksToo
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    xeNizKing said:
    MrCamp121 said:
    Lol..MORE spotting? Theres already way too damn much. I get shot by a sniper..oh im spotted because of it. Oh im suppressed by an MMG, oh im spotted again. Its utter trash. Flares covering objectives six times over. This game is intolerable 99% of the time with this cheese
    "too much" where have you been the last 5 battlefield games? 

I didnt even know people had an issue with it until all the youtubers started whining about it. (seriously their ability to rile up reddit and this board with their "opinions" and essentially assemble an army to get their opinion turned into a balance patch is loathsome)
    I agree. Too often I hear devs say "We listened to the community" and I really would like to know what community they are referring to. My main reason for being put off by the changes is I met my now wife 3 years ago playing BF4. Neither of us are the greatest of players but it's a game we loved to play. Now with the changes in BF5 to spotting we both struggle to enjoy it because of the communication reasons I explained above. I can't spot to help her and she can't spot to help me and that for us is sad as BF4 means so much to us. Yes there are suppression spots, spotting scopes and flares but what if we are both playing together as medics or assault? So many times our conversation go like this:

Me: "There's an enemy in that bush and he just killed me, I saw him but couldn't get the shot off in time. I would have spotted him for you instead..."

Her: "Ok, which bush?"

Me: "Oh, he got you too..."

Her: "I'm done with this game, I can't see any one hiding in bushes and I can't spot them even if I did, I'm going to play Elder Scrolls."

Playing on my own is fine because I don't have anyone to communicate with, add the need to communicate and it gets infuriating rather than fun. In my opinion I feel this is why the Youtube series Squad Up has disappeared. It's not because JackFrags, Matimi0, LevelCap and XFactor don't play the game, it's probably because theres no way for them to all communicate the exact locations of enemies effectively, it would just end it frustration. 

I figured the spotting changes were in place because suppressors weren't really a thing in WW1 or WW2. If I didn't want to be spotted in BF4 the first I did was use a suppressor and that was always good enough for me. Yea I can still be line of site spotted but that worked both ways and it never bothered me.

There are folks here who say that the spotting mechanics in BF5 are broken or there's too much and I would agree with that. The BF5 method for spotting is broken and needs to be fixed but the point I would make is that the BF4 system was an easier fix than introducing a totally new system that alienates some of the players that loved the game the way it was.

My reason for wanting close proximity 2D spotting is to help players that don't have headsets, play with PC speakers or even sound at all. In game I feel you should be able to know where a gun shot was coming from if you were within 50m or so, that's the kind of thing I am talking about. It would mean you could locate an enemy behind you firing at your team mates and give you a chance to fight back rather than them getting a complete squad wipe with their MG42 in a corner. With this type of 2D spotting you could solve the flare spotting issue all together. You could say it would reward those close quarters players that like to PTFO. It would be local to the player and would apply to all as balance. At range 3D or 2D spotting can be OP but for the pendulum to swing all the other way and give me nothing at all seems a bit much.

Just thoughts and ideas, if they can improved on then that's a win.
  • VincentNZ
    3172 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm not sold on the idea of 2d spotting. Any decent BF3/4 player will tell you that he spends more time looking at the minimap instead of looking forward because the minimap gives way too much information. I've had my minimap take 1/4 of my screen because of it. Same goes for any skilled BF3/4 player. You can easily look it up.

It was a very hard habit to brake in BF1 when Dice removed auto spot whenever someone shot his weapon. I was constantly glancing on my minimap whenever someone pulled the trigger. In BF5 they've brought it a step further by almost eliminating 3d spotting. But now with completely unnecessary flare buff, any game of Breakthrough or any other clustered mode becomes flare fest where everyone is constantly marked, which denies any kind of strategy except for clustering into a pile and pushing onward.

As for animations, they don't really bother me.I've learned to play around them. You want Jihad Jeeps back? Have mercy on BF5 tanks...
    That is just a tactical approach though and therefore a skillset. You do not want to appear on the map? There are ways to mitigate, like suppressors and shadow perk. Spotting, both 2D and 3D teaches trigger discipline, too. It also, and this is important for this game, decreases the impact of poor visual and acoustic choices in game design. You can hear a vehicle from everywhere? 2D spot let's you actually pinpoint it. It just synergizes.
    Here we have a game that is a sensoric nightmare, everything is too loud, too quiet, to cluttered and the game is polluted by visual and acoustic noise, that totally disorient you.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2974 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 8
    VincentNZ said:

That is just a tactical approach though and therefore a skillset. You do not want to appear on the map? There are ways to mitigate, like suppressors and shadow perk. Spotting, both 2D and 3D teaches trigger discipline, too. It also, and this is important for this game, decreases the impact of poor visual and acoustic choices in game design. You can hear a vehicle from everywhere? 2D spot let's you actually pinpoint it. It just synergizes.
    Here we have a game that is a sensoric nightmare, everything is too loud, too quiet, to cluttered and the game is polluted by visual and acoustic noise, that totally disorient you.
    Suppressors had a lot of negative effects on your weapon. They reduced muzzle speed by a ton and also reduced accuracy. It was a choice between cancer and drug addiction.

As for the audio, 5.0 patch fixed most issues for me. I can clearly hear vehicles and players.

What needs to be fixed right now is plane dive sound. Currently planes are ghosts when they dive, its really annoying. Dice should work on adding long distance noise when plane is strafing down.

Here are some examples:

• trip1ex
    4877 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You're right OP.  
  • JamieCurnock
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

100% agree on spotting. It took a while to break that habit of looking at the minimap in bf1 but once I did I found I paid more attention to what's happening around me. It made me more aware of where I could be attacked from rather than relying on seeing the danger on the minimap. Personally I love the way spotting is right now.
  • DukeSan27
    1189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The animations are to help remove the instant pop out of tanks. Helps the attacking player get the kill and the losing player play more tactically - time the exit properly. I actually prefer this so my enemy can't just pop out of a tank or plane last minute and survive.
    Agree completely with this. Entry and Exit animations add to immersion are a good step forward for game play. A player should have to think about the consequences. If you want to Jihad Jeep a Tank, then plan carefully, no more cheesing.
  • trip1ex
    4877 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 8

The enter and exit animations are  just a giant  "hey enemy i'm over here, kill me"  sign.  They are even more out of place in a game where the guns are deadlier and easier to use than ever and where there is little spotting and where infantry can easily hide from the bushes and shadows and clutter.

They also are horrible to look at.    If the animations were  youtube videos they would each get 0 likes,  10000 dislikes,  and lots of nasty comments about holding the camera still or the benefits of editing.  

They make the routine use of vehicles not enjoyable.  You can't just get in and go.    Same thing goes for the entire enter the vehicle on the correct side bs.  

You also can't exit vehicles any more in time to avoid a threat.  It was already tough unless you  left earlier than you felt you had to.   Because you had to get away from the blast radius or be blown up.   Now you have to be a complete nostradamus in order to  properly exit a vehicle from a threat.   You gotta see a threat before it is there.  

And gone are the exciting moments were a tank or jeep rolls in and you pop out and start fighting.  Now you're dead.  Instead you gotta exit 100m before a flag zone like a teenager getting dropped off at school by his parents.   Fun removed.  

All for what?  A tiny bit of occasional cheesiness?  There were better ways to improve on that.  Nevermind any BF player worth their salt knew how to deal with tanks and soldiers popping out of them.  

• KMAsterisk
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    OP: Why not use the 'ping' to at least give a general location to a threat (yellow, or red if you actually mark them)?

I'm assuming you're both playing in the same squad to you should be able to see it.
  • MusicienElegant
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    I agree. Too often I hear devs say "We listened to the community" and I really would like to know what community they are referring to. My main reason for being put off by the changes is I met my now wife 3 years ago playing BF4. Neither of us are the greatest of players but it's a game we loved to play. Now with the changes in BF5 to spotting we both struggle to enjoy it because of the communication reasons I explained above. I can't spot to help her and she can't spot to help me and that for us is sad as BF4 means so much to us. Yes there are suppression spots, spotting scopes and flares but what if we are both playing together as medics or assault? So many times our conversation go like this:

Me: "There's an enemy in that bush and he just killed me, I saw him but couldn't get the shot off in time. I would have spotted him for you instead..."

Her: "I'm done with this game, I can't see any one hiding in bushes and I can't spot them even if I did, I'm going to play Elder Scrolls."

Playing on my own is fine because I don't have anyone to communicate with, add the need to communicate and it gets infuriating rather than fun. In my opinion I feel this is why the Youtube series Squad Up has disappeared. It's not because JackFrags, Matimi0, LevelCap and XFactor don't play the game, it's probably because theres no way for them to all communicate the exact locations of enemies effectively, it would just end it frustration. 

I figured the spotting changes were in place because suppressors weren't really a thing in WW1 or WW2. If I didn't want to be spotted in BF4 the first I did was use a suppressor and that was always good enough for me. Yea I can still be line of site spotted but that worked both ways and it never bothered me.

There are folks here who say that the spotting mechanics in BF5 are broken or there's too much and I would agree with that. The BF5 method for spotting is broken and needs to be fixed but the point I would make is that the BF4 system was an easier fix than introducing a totally new system that alienates some of the players that loved the game the way it was.

My reason for wanting close proximity 2D spotting is to help players that don't have headsets, play with PC speakers or even sound at all. In game I feel you should be able to know where a gun shot was coming from if you were within 50m or so, that's the kind of thing I am talking about. It would mean you could locate an enemy behind you firing at your team mates and give you a chance to fight back rather than them getting a complete squad wipe with their MG42 in a corner. With this type of 2D spotting you could solve the flare spotting issue all together. You could say it would reward those close quarters players that like to PTFO. It would be local to the player and would apply to all as balance. At range 3D or 2D spotting can be OP but for the pendulum to swing all the other way and give me nothing at all seems a bit much.

The ping system works as a good compromise in my opinion, especially with squad mates. Turns red on enemy and can be spammed in the down state to sort of "spot" him. I think a good compromise would be allowing all teammates to see pings within a certain radius.
  • ragnarok013
    3322 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    MusicienElegant and these same animations killed 99% of the "Only in Battlefield" moments. I'd pay real money to get rid of the animations as there are far too many forced animations in the games from reviving, to opening doors, to entering\exiting vehicles and they all rely in the "E" button which makes it impossible to revive anyone near an interactable object\vehicle\door\ammo station etc. as well.
  • Kattegat_Twin
    796 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    OP, no, we don't need more spotting. Just no.
  • VincentNZ
    3172 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

The ping system works as a good compromise in my opinion, especially with squad mates. Turns red on enemy and can be spammed in the down state to sort of "spot" him. I think a good compromise would be allowing all teammates to see pings within a certain radius.
    Hardly, the issue is that the system was supposed to replace spotting, but has a ton of own issues attached. It is not context sensitive enough, so you will mostly ping an area in the vicinity of the thing you wanted to mark. It will also be blocked by things like trees, bushes etc. You can also not precisely ping a guy on the horizon as you can not ping air, you need a physical obstacle.
    The ping itself is not precise enough, as your crosshair is pretty awful and it will again lock onto something close by instead of an enemy.
    By default it is also hard enough to see, so you have to meddle with colours and even then they can be hard to see and identify. If you are using it in the downed state it is even worse, as you have no crosshair and you are lying in a rather awkward position. I often have no choice other than to mark my own foot.
    Without a spotting system, that also acts as a teamwork action, you need pristine eyesight to play this game.
  • TheRealFoe
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Put an option to  spot of light on the weapon   when you have been spotted by a flare 
  • impulsive_tango
    201 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    (Quote)

Hardly, the issue is that the system was supposed to replace spotting, but has a ton of own issues attached. It is not context sensitive enough, so you will mostly ping an area in the vicinity of the thing you wanted to mark. It will also be blocked by things like trees, bushes etc. You can also not precisely ping a guy on the horizon as you can not ping air, you need a physical obstacle.
    The ping itself is not precise enough, as your crosshair is pretty awful and it will again lock onto something close by instead of an enemy.
    By default it is also hard enough to see, so you have to meddle with colours and even then they can be hard to see and identify. If you are using it in the downed state it is even worse, as you have no crosshair and you are lying in a rather awkward position. I often have no choice other than to mark my own foot.
    Without a spotting system, that also acts as a teamwork action, you need pristine eyesight to play this game.

Trees and bushes don;t block spotting! This game has beautiful scenery but its worthless! Before dice patched the game you could hide in that scenery/
  • fragnstein
    513 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I played hardcore previous bf games where there was no mini map, doritos, and the guns felt like guns. I came into bfv with no crutches