Can I get some critique from pilots?

jroggs
1227 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I'm trying to improve my flying, specifically my air-vs-air game. I definitely don't fully understand the systems, so hopefully the more experienced pilots here can give me some insight on how to improve. Here's a section of gameplay where I'm doing relatively decent.

The plane I'm using is a Spitfire Mk VA, with full right specs (2x 20mm, Increased RoF, Armored Fuselage, Nitrous). It's the only fighter I have at Rank 4.

For example, why did I lose to that Stuka tailgun; should I have just broken off? And how can I improve efficiency when things are going well?

Comments

• trip1ex
    5284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2019
    well if you sit right behind a rear gunner and he eats you up then the lesson seems obvious.  don't do it again.  :)

try something else. 

if by efficiency you mean taking down a single plane quicker.  it's  just learning where to shoot a plane.  trial and error.  shoot it at different spots and note the damage done.  I always figured   shooting  at the engine would do  most damage.  So I would start there.    And then in BFV obviously the upgrades are a big dealio.  I can't help you there.

last, just so you're aware in case you  aren't, the best pilots  know all the flight maneuvers.  They can read which way you are turning as they pass you and then do the maneuver to sort of loop and get behind you.    But that's a whole 'nother can of worms.  

There's plenty of youtube videos out there and you can use ones from old BF games.  The basic and advanced tactics largely still apply.  

• SQHDP
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Same, if the gunner is about to kill you, move up or down, I recommend up so you can attack them from an advantage position
  • RamFrog
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    8 x machine guns does more damage faster  and further than the 2 x 20 mm cannons, so you could try that.

You were too close to that Stuka and did not try to evade the rear gunner at all. Otherwise your flying seemed all right. 
  • Hawxxeye
    7945 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2019
    As someone who as been both on the fighter place and the gunner place I think that the closer you are to the gunner the easier it is for him to land all his shots on you.
    Fighters can hit planes with the front MGs (not the cannons) from a huge distance, you need to use that to your advantage since it is a lot harder for the average gunner to angle a good shot at a distance.
    By the way that is a weird choice of spec you have for the VA. The cookie cutter build involves using the 8 LMGs which do unrealistically big damage to bombers (in real life you had to use 20mm to start to reliably penetrate a bomber).
    It is better to hit and run with the spitfire according to better pilots whom I have talked to.
    Here is a video to see how easy a target fighters who come too close are to a rear gun

• SmokeD_BabooN
    504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    jroggs said:
    I'm trying to improve my flying, specifically my air-vs-air game. I definitely don't fully understand the systems, so hopefully the more experienced pilots here can give me some insight on how to improve. Here's a section of gameplay where I'm doing relatively decent.

The plane I'm using is a Spitfire Mk VA, with full right specs (2x 20mm, Increased RoF, Armored Fuselage, Nitrous). It's the only fighter I have at Rank 4.

For example, why did I lose to that Stuka tailgun; should I have just broken off? And how can I improve efficiency when things are going well?
    Your loadout is okay, but use VA only for maps like Hamada, Al Sundan and Fjell. For any other map, VB is better.

Mistakes:
    You stay too close to your targets. You are too focused on target, try to use more rear camera, by the time you are tailing your target the chooo chooo train can be right behind you.
    Learn to break when needed.
    Learn to switch in between guns to avoid overheating;
    Learn to aim for wingtips- do not shoot center mass, shoot for the wings. Disabling wings, means target is uncontrollable, and an easy prey. Remember you gonna be successful if you need less time to down your target. So a short fight means a decent pilot, and an useful one. Respawn timer kills aces also, because when you had an amazing dogfight that lasted minutes, your enemy will be back again at your six, ready for revenge. You wont have time to prepare for next encounter.
  • Hawxxeye
    7945 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    jroggs said:

Your loadout is okay, but use VA only for maps like Hamada, Al Sundan and Fjell. For any other map, VB is better.

Mistakes:
    You stay too close to your targets. You are too focused on target, try to use more rear camera, by the time you are tailing your target the chooo chooo train can be right behind you.
    Learn to break when needed.
    Learn to switch in between guns to avoid overheating;
    Learn to aim for wingtips- do not shoot center mass, shoot for the wings. Disabling wings, means target is uncontrollable, and an easy prey. Remember you gonna be successful if you need less time to down your target. So a short fight means a decent pilot, and an useful one. Respawn timer kills aces also, because when you had an amazing dogfight that lasted minutes, your enemy will be back again at your six, ready for revenge. You wont have time to prepare for next encounter.
    If you have any videos to share where you specifically go for the wingtips, I would like to see it, you know... for science.
  • jroggs
    1227 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

The reason I wasn't using the 8xMGs was so that I could use weapon-switching to deal with overheating and also because the left side stuff isn't as appealing to me. But I can try both, I've had success with the 8xMGs in the past.

@SmokeD_BabooN What makes the VB better for other maps? I actually did make pretty good use of gun-switching to prevent overheating IMO. I'll see what I can do about shooting wings, but precision targeting in air-vs-air is fairly tricky for me and disables are a pretty wonky mechanic. I just had a match where I evaded two enemy pilots on my six for two and a half minutes before finally escaping successfully with a thoroughly disabled Level 2 G-2. Even when you get them, plane disables don't seem to impact much.
  • 6r67uvv1n25z
    129 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Use the 8x303’s emergency repair bombs smoke and air radar or you won’t stand a chance. Also most tail gunners can’t shoot down so when in trouble evade low and away. If in a g2 use rockets to make short work of bombers. The pacific planes are totally different. If in the va and have a bogey on your six use smoke and hit the brakes do some S turns till he over shoots. If in a turning fight go full throttle and use rudder in direction of turn. If the guy your chasing hits the breaks and you’re going to fly past him go straight up and look behind you till you see wich way he turns then come down and finish him off
  • Hawxxeye
    edited November 2019
    jroggs said:

The reason I wasn't using the 8xMGs was so that I could use weapon-switching to deal with overheating and also because the left side stuff isn't as appealing to me. But I can try both, I've had success with the 8xMGs in the past.

@SmokeD_BabooN What makes the VB better for other maps? I actually did make pretty good use of gun-switching to prevent overheating IMO. I'll see what I can do about shooting wings, but precision targeting in air-vs-air is fairly tricky for me and disables are a pretty wonky mechanic. I just had a match where I evaded two enemy pilots on my six for two and a half minutes before finally escaping successfully with a thoroughly disabled Level 2 G-2. Even when you get them, plane disables don't seem to impact much.
    It is a really damn shame we are on separate platforms. I could had tried  being your wingman, at least until you leveled up. Leveling fighters is hell on earth for those who are no plane milsim nutcases
  • jroggs
    Use the 8x303’s emergency repair bombs smoke and air radar or you won’t stand a chance. Also most tail gunners can’t shoot down so when in trouble evade low and away. If in a g2 use rockets to make short work of bombers. The pacific planes are totally different. If in the va and have a bogey on your six use smoke and hit the brakes do some S turns till he over shoots. If in a turning fight go full throttle and use rudder in direction of turn. If the guy your chasing hits the breaks and you’re going to fly past him go straight up and look behind you till you see wich way he turns then come down and finish him off
    Yeah, I was sleeping on the radar, it's very handy. Still, I think I might not need it down the line. In the past I've seen BF-109s using some very nasty horizontals stalls to force me to overshoot them, would like to figure out how to pull that off. Now that I'm aware of the trick, though, it's easier to see it coming and plan accordingly. I've gotten pretty good at the vertical stall evade, and from there it's easy to lose enemy pilot and repair before swinging around to reassess and re-engage. Thanks for the tips.

Hawxxeye said:

It is a really damn shame we are on separate platforms. I could had tried  being your wingman, at least until you leveled up. Leveling fighters is hell on earth for those who are no plane milsim nutcases
    I thought so at first as well, but now that I'm figuring this out more the levels are coming much faster. Dropping flares is a big booster, and I've taken to destroying planes after pilots evacuate them because even if you don't get the kill you still get 250 points. I think we're on different continents as well as platforms, but if stable crossplay comes to Battlefield I'd be glad to squad up.

Next goal is learning how to strafe ground targets. Once I master that I think flying is going to be a real blast.
  • RamFrog
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    jroggs said:

You can learn the right burst length and intervals to cause maximum damage/second quite fast. 

VB has the rockets, which are good against all ground targets, even tanks. I think you can also get improved control surfaces with rockets for it.
  • BlackWidow88x
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    • Utilize the convergence of your guns to maximize damage.
    • You need to look behind you more often to make sure no one is tailing you.
    • Attack bombers from directly above or below to avoid tail gunners.
    • Aim for the wings so you can disable them.
    • 8x HMG is the way to go. It is better suited for air-to-air combat.
    • Your accuracy can use some improvement. 
    • Often times you shoot even though you don't have a clear shot.
  • SmokeD_BabooN
    504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @Hawxxeye
    Forum ate my posts twice so I wont explain it in depth.

Short story: I have many vids, I have no time to compile though.

How to: Aim for the inside turn wing if both pilots are engaging in a steady circle horizontal/vertical. If pilots are good this means they do lots of loops, scissors and barrel roll, then aim for the closest wing to your HUD, or in 3p, closest wing to your plane nose. After practicing that it is time to practice exterior turn wing, you have to lead more, but can be done.

@OP:VB with hmg and cannons is the deadliest british fighter. Because lack of maneuvrability, you have to pick up your targets one by one, at a medium to close range for better results. It is definetly the most balanced plane in the game in my opinion, it is outmaneuvered by G2/G6 but if you keep their tails and learn to keep them in front of you, it is so rewarding.

Cant be played with great results in heavy plane maps, unless you have a decent wingman, because the maps require hit and run tactics, especially when you are british side. 
  • Hawxxeye
    @Hawxxeye
    Forum ate my posts twice so I wont explain it in depth.

Short story: I have many vids, I have no time to compile though.

How to: Aim for the inside turn wing if both pilots are engaging in a steady circle horizontal/vertical. If pilots are good this means they do lots of loops, scissors and barrel roll, then aim for the closest wing to your HUD, or in 3p, closest wing to your plane nose. After practicing that it is time to practice exterior turn wing, you have to lead more, but can be done.

@OP:VB with hmg and cannons is the deadliest british fighter. Because lack of maneuvrability, you have to pick up your targets one by one, at a medium to close range for better results. It is definetly the most balanced plane in the game in my opinion, it is outmaneuvered by G2/G6 but if you keep their tails and learn to keep them in front of you, it is so rewarding.

Cant be played with great results in heavy plane maps, unless you have a decent wingman, because the maps require hit and run tactics, especially when you are british side. 
    I get the gist of it. Please do share even a single scene int he future if you find a nice one and you have time  though
    You are saying that you have had success with the HMG configuration for the VB? That is impressive news.
    It motivates me to give it another try. Currently I am using the left side of the VB tree

• SmokeD_BabooN
    @Hawxxeye: I use 2 brownings, center tree(wing repair) then right boost speed and right 8x dumb rockets. HMG's are good to med, cannons are for finishing up close. It is the best VB combo, in my opinion, but HMGs require some patience cause they are not destroying fast wingtips(like Gs) so you have to land a lot on target, but it is still better than long range VA peashotter MG's. Damage is higher, for quick disabling wings cannons are better, but leading them requires a closer approach to target, shell drop is there too . Anyhow, as I said after a successful dogfight, you have a feeling of an achievement, cause any german fighter can move faster , climb faster etc. So VB means for a quick win disabling wings/tips, and finish them off fast. If you cant disable wings, then in 70% cases they can outturn you.  
  • Hawxxeye
    @Hawxxeye: I use 2 brownings, center tree(wing repair) then right boost speed and right 8x dumb rockets. HMG's are good to med, cannons are for finishing up close. It is the best VB combo, in my opinion, but HMGs require some patience cause they are not destroying fast wingtips(like Gs) so you have to land a lot on target, but it is still better than long range VA peashotter MG's. Damage is higher, for quick disabling wings cannons are better, but leading them requires a closer approach to target, shell drop is there too . Anyhow, as I said after a successful dogfight, you have a feeling of an achievement, cause any german fighter can move faster , climb faster etc. So VB means for a quick win disabling wings/tips, and finish them off fast. If you cant disable wings, then in 70% cases they can outturn you.  
    To be honest I rarely found the conclusion of a dogfight truly satisfying. One is just so helpless against people on their tail.
    This not that great  video had my favorite conclusion of a dogfight yet in BFV.
    So you prefer to sacrifice 20% healing for that wing repair then?
  • SmokeD_BabooN
    Hawxxeye said:
    To be honest I rarely found the conclusion of a dogfight truly satisfying. One is just so helpless against people on their tail.
    The average pilot will prefer healing or smoke cloud over wing repair, and I am by no means an ace, but I can hold my own vs 2 pilots any day. I consider smoke useless in any tree, cause I know where my target is anytime, and I am pretty sure if i use smoke, I am already in a bad position vs my chaser. But as I said it is not a matter how you do  in a plane at a certain moment, it is a matter how fast you can down enemy plane. Because faster=deadlier. In your vid you failed to down your target, he had enough time to kill your team mate and afterwards he even dared to fight you because he instanly thought you can't properly finish him off while his whole attention was his target not you. That is why he died and you survived. Even he dared to fight you over your homebase, he hit you near critical damage,that area in my experience means hell for enemy planes, there are 2 40mm aa,s not counting FF users zerging that area.
    In my opinion you can level up fast, remember if you stay too much after a plane you lose time even though you down your target. That time lost, means you aint gonna help your team ground(your fellow pilot faceplanted) or air and means you gonna get tailed fast by other fresh new respawned pilot. Usually they try to revenge so they gonna comeback again after you. Yesterday on Pacific Storm were 2 120 lvl pilots and another good pilot lvl 71 or so in zero. I couldnt spawn in a plane from the beginning, were taken. I went to 40mm on the beach and waited. Killed 2 with the AA, and traded with the third one, after they wiped the floor with our pilots for like 5 minutes. I respawned in second corsair and dogfighted them killed them another 2 times in planes, so I saw those 120 lvl in tanks afterwards. It is not a matter of whos good in game because if you ask me BF1 was all about dogfighting, aerial wars were true and nice, BFV is a way worse version of BF1 and with many other cons:respawn timer fast, jittery movement, tiny maps for aerial warfare  etc. So tl dr version the better pilot is the efficient one. 
  • Hawxxeye
    Hawxxeye said:
    The average pilot will prefer healing or smoke cloud over wing repair, and I am by no means an ace, but I can hold my own vs 2 pilots any day. I consider smoke useless in any tree, cause I know where my target is anytime, and I am pretty sure if i use smoke, I am already in a bad position vs my chaser. But as I said it is not a matter how you do  in a plane at a certain moment, it is a matter how fast you can down enemy plane. Because faster=deadlier. In your vid you failed to down your target, he had enough time to kill your team mate and afterwards he even dared to fight you because he instanly thought you can't properly finish him off while his whole attention was his target not you. That is why he died and you survived. Even he dared to fight you over your homebase, he hit you near critical damage,that area in my experience means hell for enemy planes, there are 2 40mm aa,s not counting FF users zerging that area.
    In my opinion you can level up fast, remember if you stay too much after a plane you lose time even though you down your target. That time lost, means you aint gonna help your team ground(your fellow pilot faceplanted) or air and means you gonna get tailed fast by other fresh new respawned pilot. Usually they try to revenge so they gonna comeback again after you. Yesterday on Pacific Storm were 2 120 lvl pilots and another good pilot lvl 71 or so in zero. I couldnt spawn in a plane from the beginning, were taken. I went to 40mm on the beach and waited. Killed 2 with the AA, and traded with the third one, after they wiped the floor with our pilots for like 5 minutes. I respawned in second corsair and dogfighted them killed them another 2 times in planes, so I saw those 120 lvl in tanks afterwards. It is not a matter of whos good in game because if you ask me BF1 was all about dogfighting, aerial wars were true and nice, BFV is a way worse version of BF1 and with many other cons:respawn timer fast, jittery movement, tiny maps for aerial warfare  etc. So tl dr version the better pilot is the efficient one. 
    In the post FF days I have started to spend less time trying to take down a particular plane and instead I maybe try to deter them from tailing our own planes.
    By the way check that fighter that Niccaman is fighting there, What do you think of how these fights went?

• Man_ILoveFishing
    406 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    Hawxxeye said:
    In the post FF days I have started to spend less time trying to take down a particular plane and instead I maybe try to deter them from tailing our own planes.
    By the way check that fighter that Niccaman is fighting there, What do you think of how these fights went?

I friggin love this type of fights in air and loosing enemy by flying close objects/ground, but when FF stepped into game, took that fun away. Back to the topic:

1. Get settings right, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV5U8DsXQAM this guy explains good.
    2. Learn planes, mainly on specs what you need is improved maneuverability and i IMO emergency fix. (Even with a blown wing you can come out of fight but its gonna be really really hard)
    3. Hold distance, don't be close to the enemy, bombers are very deadly even from great distance.
    4. Always watch ur six.
    5. Always...
    6. When you are chasing enemy and you get tailed, forget the enemy in front of you and focus on ur six. Loose the tail, looping, cutting loops, fly low/close to the objects, basically if you know the map, take advantage of it.
  • Hawxxeye
    edited November 2019
    I got to read your post kitty before the forum ate it and I wanted to quote a particular point
    1. Get settings right, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV5U8DsXQAM this guy explains good.
    I have these things already but the turning off the TAA does not produce good results for me because everything is visibly darker.
    It gets better with turning the ingame brightness to the max but it is still dark.