Who actually enjoys Grind and why?

Comments

• jroggs
    941 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    jroggs wrote: »
    jroggs wrote: »
    It's an awesome mode. I love it.

BF is no longer a small franchise focussed only on all out war and big maps. You just have to accept that. It caters to alot of tastes.

Some people love the run and gun twitch and flanking stuff. People can cry all they want asking us to go play COD but we'll just remind you BF has been catering to all sorts of tastes for over 10 years now.

Grind is awesome. It's not as good as Underground, Locker, Fort, Argonne but it does a decent job in its design to encourage the run and gun, twitch, flanking playstyles to flourish.

Stick to another mode. No need to whine and create a thread about a mode you dislike and don't play. Like seriously WHY? You want it cancelled so you don't have to see other people enjoying it? That's borderline sadism.

Some people like it. Judging by servers, alot of people do.

Come again? Grind specifically and deliberately deemphasizes run-and-gun and flanking by turning the map into a corridor. Most players just set up with MMGs, AMRs, snipers, and other long range weapoms to shut down the narrow lanes. Best case scenario, you manage to push or sneak through a less popular route that isn't being camped and make it into the enemy rear, where you shoot people int the back until they notice you or spawn behind you. Then you die and respawn to do it again or join the throngs of bullet-spammers in the middle. If the teams are roughly evenly matched, nothing changes the entire time.

Content creators love Grind because it sets up lots of collateral headshots and big flank streaks for their videos. But the mode plays just terrible for the most part.

Hmm I'd advise to spend more time trying to flank you'll see you can do it very effectively. Maybe you're watching the wrong content creators. Here's some flanking on Grind: image

Not everyone can do this like this guy but you can go on flanks that net you alot more kills on Grind than Conquest. All you need to do is try.

Use smoke. Profit.

No joke, Maxiq was exactly who I had in mind when I said "content creators." He's a major outlier in terms of skill and... "flow attunement," let's call it. At any rate, I'd rather see your clips than his.

I'm no stranger to big flanks and smoke myself.

It's because I love flanking and run-and-gun that I don't care for Grind. It's too limiting for maneuvers. Standard Operation Underground is pretty much on the line of my tolerance for linearity in Battlefield. Smoke is very handy, but having to lean on it constantly to do anything gets boring.

Hmm that's very strange that you'd say you love flanking but find Underground is barely tolerable. Underground (Conquest) is one of the best maps I've ever played for flanks. So I don't understand how you love flanking but not Underground. I'd say CQL underground is alot better than the Grind variant.

I don't upload clips but I'd happily private message you scoreboards of many 70+ kill rounds (CQL) to show that I'm quite decent. My stats don't show it because I'm a solo player.

Maxiq is an outlier because he can go 120-10 at best in a CQL round, but if someone else goes 70-10 that still makes them quite decent too.

Grind is harder for flanks than conquest but you get alot more kills on a successful flank.

Grind isnt anywhere close to CQL as a gamemode but for me atleast it's a nice change up from when I want to try something else and have zero interest in breakthrough or TDM or the other modes.

Regarding your last point, I've only played Grind once, yesterday. I did feel Underground Grind was limiting for flanks and so was a little disappointed but the other maps did offer alot of opportunity for flanks.
    Yeah, I don't know why they narrowed Underground's central area. The standard Conquest map already pretty much was Grind.
  • Eliittininja
    78 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I enjoy the exact opposite and I do play infantry only. I like that there's large enough time window between engagements and that you can feel scale of maps like Panzerstorm. Conquest, Conquest Assault, Carrier Assault as 64p, Rush 24p and Obliteration 32p are my favorite modes.
  • xKusagamix
    1045 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    It's fun to turn off your brain for a while and just enjoy killing. And also for completing dumb "xx kills in one life" Assignments because it's bugged ever since the Pacific patch.
    So that bug was not just random but consistent? I bet that this will get hotfixed like every bug that has a positive effect on the game
    It's consistent for me, thank for that i got a few more guns to fully golden. Sometime it'll get reset when you die, but mostly it'll count as one life, imagine completing the dumb 7 hipfire kill in  1 life Assignment with the Karabin.
  • GUTENTAAAAG
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    Yeah it is pretty much for people that want a relaxing FPS-experience without needing the need to think a lot, while also diminishing all the visibility issues. After all you only need to aim in one direction. It is pretty much just a condensed experience that already manifests itself in the gamemodes Frontlines and Breakthrough, and the Metro/Locker 64 experience with varied settings.
    It's clearly for the dumb crowd. And for youtubers who want to make ridiculous flaking videos.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3638 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2019
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »
    People that have zero situational awareness,zero skill and loves to camp. That's who.
    False. Flanking requires situational awareness.

Zergquest on the other hand
    MMqJQW.gif

To answer OP: it’s the only bf mode that should be recognized. BFVI should only release with grind. Zergquest should be a required purchase with BFC.

Not sure if serious 🤔.
  • VincentNZ
    3773 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    Yeah it is pretty much for people that want a relaxing FPS-experience without needing the need to think a lot, while also diminishing all the visibility issues. After all you only need to aim in one direction. It is pretty much just a condensed experience that already manifests itself in the gamemodes Frontlines and Breakthrough, and the Metro/Locker 64 experience with varied settings.
    It's clearly for the dumb crowd. And for youtubers who want to make ridiculous flaking videos.
    I would be careful with such statements. Thing is, stuff like that has been in the franchise from the beginning and really popular. I recall the most played variant of BF2 being Karkand with fighting only allowed between B and C. It therefore is an integral part of the game experience.
    If your favourite gamemode is anything but 64p Conquest, like playing BT, TDM or Frontlines, or like me 32p Conquest, you are a niche player, too. :D
  • VincentNZ
    3773 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

BF is no longer a small franchise focussed only on all out war and big maps. You just have to accept that. It caters to alot of tastes.

Some people love the run and gun twitch and flanking stuff. People can cry all they want asking us to go play COD but we'll just remind you BF has been catering to all sorts of tastes for over 10 years now.

Grind is awesome. It's not as good as Underground, Locker, Fort, Argonne but it does a decent job in its design to encourage the run and gun, twitch, flanking playstyles to flourish.

Stick to another mode. No need to whine and create a thread about a mode you dislike and don't play. Like seriously WHY? You want it cancelled so you don't have to see other people enjoying it? That's borderline sadism.

Well a lot of people are playing it because they are forced to for completing the assignments this week. Otherwise, the servers would not be as populated.

Grind highlights everything wrong about BF V currently, and is in and of itself, everything that BF shouldnt be. The game would be much better without it, and without being forced to play it for stupid assignments.
    You can unlock the bat without playing Grind. I unlocked it today, only playing Conquest. So apparently at least it can be done in CQ although it does not say so. I am pretty glad about it.
  • TFBisquit
    1819 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Usually a tow event requires you to finish just the first assignment. You can do the rest in any mode. Some events could be done with not a single round in the specific mode.
    The XP gained helps in the total chapter requirements to reach the final goal. So it's useful to finish most of these assignments. But you don't need all of them. Just playing already gives xp.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    2378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:

Well a lot of people are playing it because they are forced to for completing the assignments this week. Otherwise, the servers would not be as populated.

Grind highlights everything wrong about BF V currently, and is in and of itself, everything that BF shouldnt be. The game would be much better without it, and without being forced to play it for stupid assignments.
    You can unlock the bat without playing Grind. I unlocked it today, only playing Conquest. So apparently at least it can be done in CQ although it does not say so. I am pretty glad about it.
    I didn't have to play grind for the final node?  Luckily I joined a match that was almost over and was on winning side on Twisted Steel.  I flanked and hid a beacon far side near enemy base catwalk.  I nickel and dimed them all day with my RSC.
  • GUTENTAAAAG
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    VincentNZ said:
    I would be careful with such statements. Thing is, stuff like that has been in the franchise from the beginning and really popular. I recall the most played variant of BF2 being Karkand with fighting only allowed between B and C. It therefore is an integral part of the game experience.
    If your favourite gamemode is anything but 64p Conquest, like playing BT, TDM or Frontlines, or like me 32p Conquest, you are a niche player, too. :D
    I miss every game mode with 32 players. Frontlines, Rush, Conquest.
  • filthmcnasty
    634 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I enjoy the ol' bump and grind, does that count?
  • CnConrad
    1180 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It's been one of the most popular parts of battlefield since atleast bf3.

I remember 24/7 1000% grand bazarr and metro.
  • filthmcnasty
    634 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    CnConrad wrote: »

BF3 was the switch over point they reached by going head to head with CoD. Most CoD players got both, but even more just got CoD, that year was MW3. So I'm not shocked that the mindless infantry zerg maps got popular at that exact time. I was hoping those switch over players would eventually embrace the combined arms aspect of BF, but it never happened.
  • MogwaiWarrior
    909 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Played some Grind last night for the first time and thought it was fun. Granted I don’t think it works well on all maps.
  • wasp9166
    311 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2019
    i play diff ways and diff types depending on map , this is what sucks about not being able to change assignments on launch screen , i never know what map is coming, so, i have to do a search on servers and hope it's the beg of game , which most of the time , it isn't , dice needs to change this 

as far as grind , some days i just feel dumb and wana lay behind cover and mow enemies down 
  • TFBisquit
    1819 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    CnConrad said:

That was full maps and in the case of metro a decent portion. Grind maps are abysmall and narrow, plus it lacks a 24/7 mode for a single map. Then there is no middleground where players clash. It's a runover either one side or the other.
    Maybe rotterdam is the exception, which allows some combined tactics, also due to the width of the map, which seems adequate for this mode.
  • BaronVonGoon
    7007 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    (Quote)

That was full maps and in the case of metro a decent portion. Grind maps are abysmall and narrow, plus it lacks a 24/7 mode for a single map. Then there is no middleground where players clash. It's a runover either one side or the other.Maybe rotterdam is the exception, which allows some combined tactics, also due to the width of the map, which seems adequate for this mode.

Rotterdam and Narvik are the best Grind maps. I like Narvik more in this mode than in CQL (Awful). The rest are not as good as I initially thought. Underground is particularly disappointing. Other than Rotterdam and Narvik the rest are too limiting.
  • trip1ex
    5028 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Grind took them 2 seconds to make.  Let's cut a sector of Breakthrough in half and call it a new mode.  

Pretty soon  the  hangar on Aerodome will be the entire 64 player map.   
  • Moorlander
    100 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I like Grind because there are no camping tanks or over powered planes. Just objectives to fight for and lots of players on both sides having fun!
  • CnConrad
    1180 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    CnConrad wrote: »

BF3 was the switch over point they reached by going head to head with CoD. Most CoD players got both, but even more just got CoD, that year was MW3. So I'm not shocked that the mindless infantry zerg maps got popular at that exact time. I was hoping those switch over players would eventually embrace the combined arms aspect of BF, but it never happened.

If they didn't stick with BF, it would have went the way of medal of Honor.