[Megathread] BFV and Cheating Discussion

Comments

• 0ld_yell0w
    414 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I might be getting this wrong, but the new "private server sessions/community servers" you can ban players .. for that round only ? no action taken further ?
    If that is the answer to communty driven servers they pulled a big one on us again :)

• Kick players from server
    • Ban and manage banned players (session only)
    source:

Guys, when I flush a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, I do NOT want to see it again. Ever !

- Again you made something as valuable as your profanity filter ... go figure what I mean by that DICE.
    (without swearwords ;)

They certainly spend a lot of time talking about how hard it is to implement a working anticheat not to ban legit, good players ...
    What is the difference from BF5 downwards to BF4 ? Oh, the no plugins for clancontrolled servers ... now I get it. ;)

So you basically didnt listen to ANYTHING the community asked about regarding anticheat and admining on our own servers to prevent
    the same cheaters coming back and annoy us.
    Giving us a hint everytime about how to report a cheater ingame sucks, we shouldnt need to spend a second on that part unless we were admins on our own rented servers. - YOUR server - YOUR responsibility to keep it clean.

Now off to some BF4 fun with friends on well admined servers and almost no cheaters (they dont stay long)  ;)

• Red_Label_Scotch
    1302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    QU4NT0R said:
    Anyone got any actual footage of the process in which dice/ea/whoever actually ban players for obvious cheats/hacks? or am i just wasting my time reporting players in game?

Let me try to break this down for you:

I'm a self-employed freelancing contractor within the games-industries. Before I've worked for over 20 years for several game studios in several positions all over the world. I'm one of those guys whos name you'll find in the credits somewhere down below :smile: . As I'm almost 50 years old I've decided to step back from all those crunch-times and burnouts a while ago and now earning my pay as a consultant. For around 3 yrs now I'm working for the anti-cheat-dept. of another well known major studio. Among others it's my responsibility to keep an eye on the market for cheating tools, buy them if some new for the projects I'm involved in pop up, reverse-engineer/analyze them if possible and help with implementing routines to detect them. 

Cross posted with return link to my gaming group. 
    This needs to be on reddit, too.
  • JONxJITSU
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I just read a description of what FairFight is from the developers site. FairFight sounds incredibly passive. I will post the description and you tell me; is this something that works hard enough to prevent/punish people from cheating?

FairFight® is a non-invasive, customizable, server side anti-cheat engine using agnostic technology that operates in real time. It does not reside on the player's computer or the game server, and does not examine the player's devices or perpetually look for the latest hacks. FairFight uses GameBlocks' proprietary GameChanger™ rule engine and database structures to evaluate players gameplay actions and Make it a FairFight® for everyone. Players actions are tested against multiple statistical markers to identify cheating as it occurs. FairFight crosschecks these indicators using objective server-side reporting tools and takes action when both approaches correlate to cheating. FairFight's graduated penalty system (warning/restriction/suspension) has been shown to effectively suppress and deter "cheaters" by imposing prompt and appropriate penalties automatically, while simultaneously notifying them that continued misbehavior will result in harsher penalties.

• JONxJITSU
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @CryTGM, you might be put in jail for doxing. Might want to take it down before admin see's.
  • NN_Buzz12
    183 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    JONxJITSU wrote: »
    @CryTGM, you might be put in jail for doxing. Might want to take it down before admin see's.

Because EA/Dice can’t handle the Truth or deal with the problem.
  • DancesWthMice
    119 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    QU4NTOR, informative post, thx. All the naysayers came out from under their rocks when I brought up the Forbes and BBC cheating reports estimated online cheating at around 33%. Your estimation of 30-40% fits with the anonymous surveys these other groups took. BFV should actually have a higher than average cheat population due to Dice rolling out the red carpet for them. Cheaters welcome, no name and shame, no worries kiddies this is your new home! 
  • 0ld_yell0w
    414 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    JONxJITSU said:
    I just read a description of what FairFight is from the developers site. FairFight sounds incredibly passive. I will post the description and you tell me; is this something that works hard enough to prevent/punish people from cheating?

FairFight® is a non-invasive, customizable, server side anti-cheat engine using agnostic technology that operates in real time. It does not reside on the player's computer or the game server, and does not examine the player's devices or perpetually look for the latest hacks. FairFight uses GameBlocks' proprietary GameChanger™ rule engine and database structures to evaluate players gameplay actions and Make it a FairFight® for everyone. Players actions are tested against multiple statistical markers to identify cheating as it occurs. FairFight crosschecks these indicators using objective server-side reporting tools and takes action when both approaches correlate to cheating. FairFight's graduated penalty system (warning/restriction/suspension) has been shown to effectively suppress and deter "cheaters" by imposing prompt and appropriate penalties automatically, while simultaneously notifying them that continued misbehavior will result in harsher penalties.

Well it all sounds really cool and good, but when it doesnt catch a guy flying around map with a pistol, shooting players in tanks I think it doesnt really work ?
    (had this incident happen on bf4 firestorm a while ago) we had to manually ban him - he isnt banned by EA/DICE yet but on all other 3.party AC hes a goner.

• LOLGotYerTags
    13703 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    QU4NT0R said:
    Only 3 accounts seem to have been banned !!! - 1 of them belongs to an guy which was spectated by forum-moderator "LOLGotYerTags" at the same time I was doing it. So I assume he scored the ban on him. 

I wish I could say that were the case,  However I just used the report system as intended but also linked in images,  gifs and/or video to accompany the report so it's likely that the video evidence or gifs or a combination of those alongside multiple reports got the guy "hammered"

I dont personally have any bearing on the outcome of reports made,  or have the ability to ban an account myself.

If I did,  The banlist would probably be several A4 sheets of paper long with a font size of 10 lol.
  • xHonest_Abe
    186 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Can we have a discussion to end this 42 page cheating discussion. :D I think EA/DICE knows about it by now. How do you undo a bookmark on this discussion. It is spamming my book marks..... :p

Now we are at page 53, no relief from ending the cheating discussion. No new information from this discussion. I did check tracker today on some of the obvious hacks during the last couple of months (example 154/3 after a game, very obvious on spectator), and guess what their account don't exist anymore. I guess what we miss is an acknowledgement that our report we made that turned out to be true and taken care of. But I do love the ban hammer of the past that the admin would hand out during real time and the whining :'( the hacker would give trying to get back into the server again. :D
  • bsafawi1974
    82 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    How many of you was visit EA Helps and send feedback about cheating problem and Spectur mode Players ( cheaters ) ?
  • bsafawi1974
    82 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2019
    Stop crying and go there ask them put options in the score board for report the player for cheat That's the only way
  • Lancelot_du_Lac
    145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    QU4NTOR, informative post, thx. All the naysayers came out from under their rocks when I brought up the Forbes and BBC cheating reports estimated online cheating at around 33%. Your estimation of 30-40% fits with the anonymous surveys these other groups took. BFV should actually have a higher than average cheat population due to Dice rolling out the red carpet for them. Cheaters welcome, no name and shame, no worries kiddies this is your new home! 
    Just to put this in context...

You are talking about PC only - correct?

If PC represents around 25% of BFV gamers (source: EA Annual Report), then 35% of 25% is less than 9% of all players. Maybe this is why EA has not invested enough into anti-cheat.

Ever so, I am surprised at how prevalent cheating is, and what a big business it is! 

Full disclosure - I switched from PC to PS4 from BF1 because of cheaters.
  • DancesWthMice
    119 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

If PC represents around 25% of BFV gamers (source: EA Annual Report), then 35% of 25% is less than 9% of all players. Maybe this is why EA has not invested enough into anti-cheat.

Ever so, I am surprised at how prevalent cheating is, and what a big business it is! 

PC yes. That is a given.
  • Jinko_itx
    760 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    QU4NT0R said:
    Only 3 accounts seem to have been banned !!! - 1 of them belongs to an guy which was spectated by forum-moderator "LOLGotYerTags" at the same time I was doing it. So I assume he scored the ban on him. 

I wish I could say that were the case,  However I just used the report system as intended but also linked in images,  gifs and/or video to accompany the report so it's likely that the video evidence or gifs or a combination of those alongside multiple reports got the guy "hammered"

I dont personally have any bearing on the outcome of reports made,  or have the ability to ban an account myself.

If I did,  The banlist would probably be several A4 sheets of paper long with a font size of 10 lol.
    your a moderator, they prolly took you seriously...
  • twcrytgm
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What about team deathmatch servers? It is impossible too see any servers without cheaters in those.
    Some makes 54-2, other makes 35-5, another makes 24-2 with low levels like 4 or 5 or 11.

• QU4NT0R
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Yes. We're talking about PC Gaming. It's also possible to cheat on consoles, but on PS4 and XBox the hurdles for using cheats are much higher and involving partly expensive hardware. But it also depends how a studio/publisher is defining cheating on consoles. There are input adapters like XIM (in some games it's "allowed" to use it / in others not) or Special modified/programmable controllers with built-in helpers. Also it's possible to use an additional PC as some sort of proxy between Console and Router to add some "value" (sarcasm) to the gaming experience. 

Regarding those 25%. You need to consider that this number is only including the people who were buying a Standard or Deluxe Edition on PC. But a lot of people are playing BF5 through their monthly subscription with EA Access (Origin Access)… The subscribers are not represented in the annual schedules for BF5. Also the subscription service was till July only available on PC and not on the consoles. So I think the real amount of people who were playing on PC at the time the report was released was much higher then 25%. True is that the sales for BF5 were way behind the forecasts. But EA/Dice couldn't know this before the release. So they've expected much higher numbers. And under normal circumstances an anti-cheat will be implemented before release. 

I think the absence has some other reasons / considerations. To point those out I need a bit more time, but I think it is related to the "Game as a service" approach of BF5 and also about Asia becomming a much more important market within the last 3 years.

There are also a lot of other aspects I left out in my former post as the whole thematic is a very complex one. If I find the time I'll dig a bit more deeper into it later on. 
  • Kunstula
    457 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited December 2019

• Hindenburg1911
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2019
    and for stop this cheats  you only must do not allow 3 software  and do not allow that any software can attack the gamefiles from bfv
    because the exe must been injected with other software when they started