AA Guns are Totally Underpowered

Comments

• StealthAria
    576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    jroggs said:
    Planes are only as OP as you let them be.

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/luciferlion/video/84065748
    I proceed to shoot this guy down twice more at that objective, then he continues the rest of the round with his only deaths being me on AA guns, no one else spared so much as a single bullet on him.
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/luciferlion/video/84065780
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/luciferlion/video/84065807
    These two were almost back-to-back, these two pilots had been devastating my team the whole round because, you guessed it, no one ever bothered to even attempt to drive them off, let alone kill them.

The skill of the pilot hardly matters either, just look at how far behind these guys are aiming when they take me down (ping is only ~40ms here btw)
    https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/luciferlion/video/84065856
    1. You did 93 damage. So it was a team effort. Might you have gotten the plane on your own? Maybe. But you didn't.

2. You did 73 damage. So it was a team effort. Might you have gotten the plane on your own? Maybe. But you didn't.

3. You did 100 damage. This one was all you, but it was against an absolutely awful pilot who neither flew evasively nor used his e-repair.

So all these videos show is that AA guns can get kills as long as they get a bunch of help or go up against terrible players and nobody attacks the AA gunner. My video above shows what happens when that same AA gun goes up against a pilot that doesn't completely suck.
    1. 93 is listed, however there's also 20 points unaccounted for in the tally.  You add up all the scores that roll past and you only get 463, not the 483 I got.  You can also count the hits I scored on that plane as you watch the numbers fly by; I hit the plane 9 times, the damage ticked up 8 times, only the last of which was anything less than a 12 so it's safe to assume that the uncounted shot did 12 damage as well, bringing the total up to 105.  I had been keeping my eye on the planes for a while, all our Zeros were over circling the carrier waiting for the Corsairs to spawn and I was the only one making any AA efforts that whole round, I was the only one that damaged that plane.  The rest of my team was more interested in farming kills and damage points off armor, many of them even appearing to be boosting as they let repair monkeys do their work without making any attempt to stop them.

2. Yeah I ended up not killing that plane on my own, but look how quickly it died with just 2 people on it.  Even without the assistance I still would have gotten the kill though; the pilot did not come in at the right angle to hit me with his guns and had already dropped his bombs on my team, with all that damage done and his QR burnt, which I might add, he burnt purely because of the damage I dealt, there was no way he could escape the range of my AA alive.

3. QR isn't something everyone runs, some prefer to swap to FR so they can repair destroyed parts and recover control of their craft.  Either way, because he was on approach he had to chose between popping a repair and crashing, or simply tank the damage and hope to survive.  The point I ended up killing him at he wasn't even half way through that chord of my firing arc, he still would have died even if he did pop a QR.

No matter what, clips 1 and 3 show that SAA isn't nearly as useless as you lot claim it to be, clip 2 shows that even skilled pilots can be taken down if people actually put a grain of effort into it, and any of the 3 works as evidence that planes are no where near as OP as people tout them to be.
  • ChickenTheTank
    833 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @jroggs

I did state at the end of my post I think the most effective way to impact air v ground balance would be to somehow limit planes getting hits on SAA from far away. That would increase the likelihood that there pilot and AA would do similar damage to each other on one pass.

I still don't think it would be balanced for one guy in an AA cannon to be able to shut down the whole enemy air fleet. There needs to be a way that 2 AA cannons will win against 1 pilot, and 2 pilots will win against 1 SAA, but 1 AA vs 1 pilot v will end on killing each other, or both being almost entirely destroyed, but not finished off.

I think almost all vehicle balance issues would be fixed by removing emergency repair from every vehicle in the game. That seems to be the cause of almost every issue that makes attacking vehicles frustrating.
  • jroggs
    1193 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    1. 93 is listed, however there's also 20 points unaccounted for in the tally.  You add up all the scores that roll past and you only get 463, not the 483 I got.  You can also count the hits I scored on that plane as you watch the numbers fly by; I hit the plane 9 times, the damage ticked up 8 times, only the last of which was anything less than a 12 so it's safe to assume that the uncounted shot did 12 damage as well, bringing the total up to 105.  I had been keeping my eye on the planes for a while, all our Zeros were over circling the carrier waiting for the Corsairs to spawn and I was the only one making any AA efforts that whole round, I was the only one that damaged that plane.  The rest of my team was more interested in farming kills and damage points off armor, many of them even appearing to be boosting as they let repair monkeys do their work without making any attempt to stop them.

2. Yeah I ended up not killing that plane on my own, but look how quickly it died with just 2 people on it.  Even without the assistance I still would have gotten the kill though; the pilot did not come in at the right angle to hit me with his guns and had already dropped his bombs on my team, with all that damage done and his QR burnt, which I might add, he burnt purely because of the damage I dealt, there was no way he could escape the range of my AA alive.

3. QR isn't something everyone runs, some prefer to swap to FR so they can repair destroyed parts and recover control of their craft.  Either way, because he was on approach he had to chose between popping a repair and crashing, or simply tank the damage and hope to survive.  The point I ended up killing him at he wasn't even half way through that chord of my firing arc, he still would have died even if he did pop a QR.

No matter what, clips 1 and 3 show that SAA isn't nearly as useless as you lot claim it to be, clip 2 shows that even skilled pilots can be taken down if people actually put a grain of effort into it, and any of the 3 works as evidence that planes are no where near as OP as people tout them to be.

1. That 20 missing points was for the Kill bonus, it just got buried by the more prominent Destroy bonus. And you can see the other AA gun firing at that plane. It did 37 damage with three hits, you did the rest.

3. There's really not much reason to use the wing repair for planes, since disables aren't major difference makers like with tanks or BF1's planes. There are a couple other specs that can replace e-repair, but it's pretty much a flat-out mistake to not keep it. That instant 30 health is a major difference maker.

I'd say you had that first guy dead to rights no matter what, but the second and third guy had a much better chance of getting away. It's not that the SAA can't get kills, it's that it's really just effective as an ambush weapon. Good pilots, the ones you really want to bring down, mark out where these SAA are (especially on the Pacific where they're easy to keep track of due to their telltale dugouts) and can even see if they're occupied because of the map markers (or lack thereof). And if a good pilot knows you're there, you're not going to win the encounter. You just can't. It's not a question of how good you are. AA guns just don't allow for skill in that scenario.

These were three ambushes with only one solo kill. That doesn't prove planes aren't OP against ground. It's like showing some examples of killing unaware enemies with a bolt-action rifle (and occasional help from a teammate) at <10 meters to prove that bolt-actions are viable for <10 meters.
  • jroggs
    1193 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @jroggs

I did state at the end of my post I think the most effective way to impact air v ground balance would be to somehow limit planes getting hits on SAA from far away. That would increase the likelihood that there pilot and AA would do similar damage to each other on one pass.

I still don't think it would be balanced for one guy in an AA cannon to be able to shut down the whole enemy air fleet. There needs to be a way that 2 AA cannons will win against 1 pilot, and 2 pilots will win against 1 SAA, but 1 AA vs 1 pilot v will end on killing each other, or both being almost entirely destroyed, but not finished off.

I think almost all vehicle balance issues would be fixed by removing emergency repair from every vehicle in the game. That seems to be the cause of almost every issue that makes attacking vehicles frustrating.

It's definitely tough to balance. I think it starts by making SAA require but also reward skill, like with less forgiving blast radius but higher velocity.

To balance SAA and planes, I'd say that high-precision MG fire from pilots should be able to edge out SAA fire, but SAA should be able to shoot down planes before they get to bombing range. SAA does need to be better at defending areas, because if planes can keep attacking objectives while taking a high but nonfatal amount of damage each time, they will.

The e-repair has always been a bad mechanic. The biggest problem is that it gives an effective 130 health to vehicles, while DICE seems to balance vehicles with a max of 100 health in mind. This is how we end up with tanks that take 8-9 heavy cannon shots to kill.
  • mf_shro0m
    2312 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    jroggs wrote: »
    @jroggs

It's definitely tough to balance. I think it starts by making SAA require but also reward skill, like with less forgiving blast radius but higher velocity.

To balance SAA and planes, I'd say that high-precision MG fire from pilots should be able to edge out SAA fire, but SAA should be able to shoot down planes before they get to bombing range. SAA does need to be better at defending areas, because if planes can keep attacking objectives while taking a high but nonfatal amount of damage each time, they will.

The e-repair has always been a bad mechanic. The biggest problem is that it gives an effective 130 health to vehicles, while DICE seems to balance vehicles with a max of 100 health in mind. This is how we end up with tanks that take 8-9 heavy cannon shots to kill.

Tbh the only way to make the aerial support on both sides almost fair in most games is to implement a team balancing system that splits up the good pilots. I’m open to ideas for tweaking SAAs to make the balance better but there’s no way for SAAs to stop the pro pilots without making flying unviable for the vast majority of players. I mean imagine what would happen if they tried to balance recon around stodeh. The class would become an even bigger joke than it already is. People need to revise their expectations of what can happen

FYI, MW has shown us that SBMM sucks

Also genuinely, if just a quarter of the assaults on each team carried FFs for taking opportunistic shots life would be sooo much harder for pilots

———

Health packs are basically the same and some infantry have an infinite supply of them
  • SirBobdk
    5021 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    mf_shro0m said:
    jroggs wrote: »
    @jroggs

Tbh the only way to make the aerial support on both sides almost fair in most games is to implement a team balancing system that splits up the good pilots. I’m open to ideas for tweaking SAAs to make the balance better but there’s no way for SAAs to stop the pro pilots without making flying unviable for the vast majority of players. I mean imagine what would happen if they tried to balance recon around stodeh. The class would become an even bigger joke than it already is. People need to revise their expectations of what can happen

You cant balance skills and neither should you. Neither should the SAA be buffed, but there should be more of them. More would make AA stroner but it will still require a team effort. Then its up to the team to use them.
    E-repair is another stupied thing Dice implemented. Make Air space bigger and the base further away with auto AA, so Pilots can land and repair. Would also prevent spawn camping/killing.
  • mf_shro0m
    2312 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    (Quote)
    You cant balance skills and neither should you. Neither should the SAA be buffed, but there should be more of them. More would make AA stroner but it will still require a team effort. Then its up to the team to use them.

E-repair is another stupied thing Dice implemented. Make Air space bigger and the base further away with auto AA, so Pilots can land and repair. Would also prevent spawn camping/killing.

I totally agree with the first paragraph altho with the ff now in the game players could just use that

I’m undecided about e-repairs tho. I mean if all infantry have it (essentially) then I don’t think it’s unreasonable for vehicles to have it. Also if you move the bases further apart and make it so planes can only repair at their base you’d be making attrition so much worse for planes. I mean imagine going out to dogfight or drop some bombs and you get scraped by a hostile plane or AA. That’d be annoying af.
    Like if they made it so that in core games infantry could only heal at bases and increased the amount of ground between bases the community would be up in arms. That’d be hardcore+.

Having short range AI AA at bases I think is a good idea but I wish they also do something to stop all the douchebags who drop mines on runways or camp by them with launchers as infantry
  • ChickenTheTank
    833 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    mf_shro0m wrote: »
    (Quote)

I totally agree with the first paragraph altho with the ff now in the game players could just use that

I’m undecided about e-repairs tho. I mean if all infantry have it (essentially) then I don’t think it’s unreasonable for vehicles to have it. Also if you move the bases further apart and make it so planes can only repair at their base you’d be making attrition so much worse for planes. I mean imagine going out to dogfight or drop some bombs and you get scraped by a hostile plane or AA. That’d be annoying af.
    Like if they made it so that in core games infantry could only heal at bases and increased the amount of ground between bases the community would be up in arms. That’d be hardcore+.

Having short range AI AA at bases I think is a good idea but I wish they also do something to stop all the douchebags who drop mines on runways or camp by them with launchers as infantry

Only @ the comparison to health packs ->

I think health packs are a lot more balanced, because they just kick off instant healing (albeit all the way to 100). The healing can be interrupted with another hit, and still takes time to get the user all the way healed up. E- repair is an instantaneous boost. No interrupt possible or down time needed.

Maybe e- repair would be more balanced if it worked like health packs.
  • mf_shro0m
    edited December 2019
    (Quote)

Only @ the comparison to health packs ->

I think health packs are a lot more balanced, because they just kick off instant healing (albeit all the way to 100). The healing can be interrupted with another hit, and still takes time to get the user all the way healed up. E- repair is an instantaneous boost. No interrupt possible or down time needed.

Maybe e- repair would be more balanced if it worked like health packs.

Good point but health packs can fully heal combatants whereas e-repair can only heal a portion of a vehicle’s health.

A caveat is that its far more likely that an infantryman whos taken something damage will be able to take cover somewhere for 10 seconds so they can heal than it is that a pilot can do the same. Pilots are almost always out in the open and usually after taking some damage they’re either dead or safe and so chances are a health pack style health booster will typically be less helpful to them

Being able to choose between the two would be nice and they could potentially add them as a new tier on the spec trees
  • JediMastaWyn
    580 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2019
    I think they do enough damage to kill any wondering/distracted pilot. Two firing would deny airspace to most pilots. 

Competent pilots will take them out to be fair! Personally don't think they are underpowered. 
  • Rattoner
    330 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    mf_shro0m said:
    No they’re not. Two AA guns can destroy fighters. Yesterday on Pacific storm two AAs frustrated the three pilots on the other team so much two of them quit in less than 5 minutes
    Incorrect. Planes can drop bombs on stationary/no defense AA OUTSIDE OF THE AA's RANGE TO SHOOT. 

Its so easy for a plane to take down an AA its not even funny
  • 6r67uvv1n25z
    129 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Dude aa and ff are OVER POWERED. And aircraft rockets have been nerfed into oblivion. We all got our struggles. Fight smarter. Fight harder. Quit crying like a sissy. Learn to fly. That’s the best counter
  • SirBobdk
    5021 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    mf_shro0m said:
    (Quote)

I guess your right about the AA if people would start using the FF. I feel bad for infantry in BT/pacific as a pilot.
    You could still have supply stations closer to the combat zone, but I liked it better in the past where if you got disabled you had to land and repair. if infantry could disable the Plane it would give them some time since it have to retirn to base to fully repair, If not disabled the system could work as it Is now with supply stations closer to the combat zone.
    It also mean that we wouldnt have the airfield/carrier attack and mines on them.

• mf_shro0m
    (Quote)
    I guess your right about the AA if people would start using the FF. I feel bad for infantry in BT/pacific as a pilot.
    You could still have supply stations closer to the combat zone, but I liked it better in the past where if you got disabled you had to land and repair. if infantry could disable the Plane it would give them some time since it have to retirn to base to fully repair, If not disabled the system could work as it Is now with supply stations closer to the combat zone.It also mean that we wouldnt have the airfield/carrier attack and mines on them.

Lol yeh that’s partly why in the Pacific i prioritise enemy armour. Taking out their armour is often also the most helpful thing you can do for your team

To what extent could planes be disabled in those older games? I haven’t flown much in BF4

My concern is that it’s pretty easy to break wings and stuff in BFV and with AAs which are explosives, it’s very much based on luck. Given the velocity of the 40mm cannons and the FF you can’t really aim for wings.
    Also given that losing pursuing aircraft isn’t easy in BFV if you had to go back to base and land to repair broken parts dogfighting could be a real drag. I mean just thinking about it now, I get the feeling that dogfighting will become too much of a pain in the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to do given how little reward you get and how often it’s rather one dimensional, and so I’d be tempted to just start bombing from orbit whenever I hopped in a plane. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of pilots reached the same conclusions

Another idea that popped up after I watched level cap’s video was that they could double the damage that smallarms and MGs on the ground do to planes. This would give more players a chance to do something about planes and allow MGs to finish off damaged planes and prep them for AAs and FFs
  • mf_shro0m
    Rattoner wrote: »
    (Quote)
    Incorrect. Planes can drop bombs on stationary/no defense AA OUTSIDE OF THE AA's RANGE TO SHOOT. 

Its so easy for a plane to take down an AA its not even funny

Dude you don’t even fly. Look, spend 10 rounds as a pilot in the Pacific and then tell me what you think
  • DukeSan27
    1262 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Stationary weapons like AA guns or Pak40s will never have to role to take out Planes and Tanks on their own. They are more for area denial or support. 

I infer this logic from the way DICE has dealt with these since BF1.

Planes and AA Tanks have the role to take out other Planes. So in this regard, the AA Tanks needs a buff.
  • SirBobdk
    mf_shro0m said:
    (Quote)
    You could still have supply stations closer to the combat zone, but I liked it better in the past where if you got disabled you had to land and repair. if infantry could disable the Plane it would give them some time since it have to retirn to base to fully repair, If not disabled the system could work as it Is now with supply stations closer to the combat zone.It also mean that we wouldnt have the airfield/carrier attack and mines on them.

Lol yeh that’s partly why in the Pacific i prioritise enemy armour. Taking out their armour is often also the most helpful thing you can do for your team

To what extent could planes be disabled in those older games? I haven’t flown much in BF4

My concern is that it’s pretty easy to break wings and stuff in BFV and with AAs which are explosives, it’s very much based on luck. Given the velocity of the 40mm cannons and the FF you can’t really aim for wings.
    Also given that losing pursuing aircraft isn’t easy in BFV if you had to go back to base and land to repair broken parts dogfighting could be a real drag. I mean just thinking about it now, I get the feeling that dogfighting will become too much of a pain in the **** to do given how little reward you get and how often it’s rather one dimensional, and so I’d be tempted to just start bombing from orbit whenever I hopped in a plane. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of pilots reached the same conclusions

Another idea that popped up after I watched level cap’s video was that they could double the damage that smallarms and MGs on the ground do to planes. This would give more players a chance to do something about planes and allow MGs to finish off damaged planes and prep them for AAs and FFs

If you got more tham 80% damage your plane was disabled and would slowly start to loose healt until it exploded. Only way was to land and repair.
    Emergency repair was a perk to fix a disabled planes, but then you couldn't have flares or emc against stingers, so must didn't use it.

But the fly mechanics was so much better in BF3 and before and so was the pilots. Dogfighting was really fun and experienced pilots would always shake off inexperienced ones.
    The learning curve was much longer imo. Today most fly with "Camera roll on" making it way easier to control a plane. BF3 didnt have this option.

The MG damage against planes in BF1 was much better.

• Terminator000001
    802 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Today most fly with "Camera roll on" making it way easier to control a plane. BF3 didnt have this option.

How was that easier? I find it totally confusing and I got motion sickness since BF4. I turned that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ off right away as soon as I found out how.
  • SirBobdk
    edited December 2019
    Today most fly with "Camera roll on" making it way easier to control a plane. BF3 didnt have this option.

How was that easier? I find it totally confusing and I got motion sickness since BF4. I turned that **** off right away as soon as I found out how.

I also play with it off, but most find it easier to fly with it on imo.
    New pilots I have spoken to have a hard time to aim with off in 3th view. It takes more practice.
  • Rusty5p00n
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Easiest fix I feel would be:

- Remove AutoRepair for Planes
    - Planes can only repair over dedicated area (where they restock)
    - These areas have Auto AA against enemies.
    - Increase respawn time when a plane shot down.