Can Dice actually explain the lack of team balance??

EmineNc33
41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Its been well over a year and its still not implemented into the game..
How is something thats so simple, so basic, and a staple in every other game, not actually make its way in this game?. It's beggars belief that it wasnt in the game on release!
Can we atleast have an honest answer as to why it's non existant?

Because all I've read on here and on reddit, is excuses and finger pointing.

How come no one seems to be able to asnwer this simple question.
How does a Multi Billion dollar company have no one that can explain to us why.

Comments

• Bilbo_bobbins
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Because they don't know how to fix it. It was the same for BF1 and BF4. 
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1496 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    they can't fix something they don't care about in the slightest
  • ISRAEL_DEFENDER
    127 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Laziness disguised as a feature or part of the live service program: "We deliver half the game at launch and you pay the full price".
  • PrecisionWing
    657 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Its actually very easy, and has been tested in bf3/4 community servers.
    1. Last joined player will be balanced.
    2. First dead player will be balanced.
    Super easy and worked well.
    But the problem is dice lack the willingness to do so.
    So if team balance is not on their todo list, at least let me have some 1v32 game. Come on dice.
  • jroggs
    1226 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The problem is that they built it wrong in the first place. The system is designed to fill squads. It doesn't care about numerical team balance at all.

I'm not an expert on programming and I'm sure it's a big project to fix. But it's gotta be done, and you have to ask why they ever set it up that way in the first place.
  • ChickenTheTank
    834 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have one thought why there's almost no team balance in the game. I know that myself, and all my buddies who have played BF with me (they all moved on from BF5 sadly :disappointed: ) always join through the server browser, not through quick match.

I came to the realization that joining through server browser pretty much nullifies any team balance algorithms. The game can't pick which team I go to based off any algorithms unless I join a server where both teams have the same number.

For instance, if I join a game, and the worse team has 31 players, but the better team has 30 players, the game will insert me in the better team, whether or not I should go on that team based off any ranking calculations. I have a feeling that's a pretty big influence on why team balance seems non existent in the game.

No excuse for the lack of team balancing occurring on players during a map changes though. Not that it matters either; I have to quit almost anytime the map changes to reset an assignment or two. Which also means I very rarely get to play a game from pre- round timer through the end compared to previous titles. That whole cycle leads to a pretty poor gaming experience compared to previous BF titles tbh.

/rant
  • GrizzGolf
    1424 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The TB Is the worse!
  • spateri1
    270 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

BF4 was light years ahead. Skill based team balancing and you can change teams...you can change teams! Simple really. Most good players will want to change in uneven battles as they'll get more kills...I mean they want a challenge. If they don't then they're not that good. There is usually more than enough space for a while squad to change teams if they want to stay with their mates after a one sided slaughter. 5 -10 people leave every time. Change teams. Well if you could.

Been brought up heaps of times but they don't care at all. Some player retention formula that EA have cooked up no doubt. Have a look at the community server pile of steaming....yes they don't care at all. Clearly.
  • spateri1
    270 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have one thought why there's almost no team balance in the game. I know that myself, and all my buddies who have played BF with me (they all moved on from BF5 sadly :disappointed: ) always join through the server browser, not through quick match.

I came to the realization that joining through server browser pretty much nullifies any team balance algorithms. The game can't pick which team I go to based off any algorithms unless I join a server where both teams have the same number.

For instance, if I join a game, and the worse team has 31 players, but the better team has 30 players, the game will insert me in the better team, whether or not I should go on that team based off any ranking calculations. I have a feeling that's a pretty big influence on why team balance seems non existent in the game.

No excuse for the lack of team balancing occurring on players during a map changes though. Not that it matters either; I have to quit almost anytime the map changes to reset an assignment or two. Which also means I very rarely get to play a game from pre- round timer through the end compared to previous titles. That whole cycle leads to a pretty poor gaming experience compared to previous BF titles tbh.

/rant

Using the server browser shouldn't matter. After a one sided round it should swap squads/ players based on a skill metric so joining a server that is in a good map rotation shouldn't matter. For some reason they don't care.

Community servers should be able to not only modify the rotation but change players teams. Set HP and Dmg....spotting...3rd person vehicle view...it's not hard. Same settings as previous titles. They just don't want it. You'd have to assume its for player retention from some guy that looks at data and drinks too many chai lattes and does smelly poos.
  • spateri1
    Laziness disguised as a feature or part of the live service program: "We deliver half the game at launch and you pay the full price".

Not true. They already have the formulas that have worked in the past. Would be simple. If you're talking about about new maps and guns then yes. This is basic and I'd be ashamed at what I was putting out. Hands are probably tied though. EA. Much loved in the gaming world.
  • ChickenTheTank
    spateri1 wrote: »

/rant

Using the server browser shouldn't matter. After a one sided round it should swap squads/ players based on a skill metric so joining a server that is in a good map rotation shouldn't matter. For some reason they don't care.

Community servers should be able to not only modify the rotation but change players teams. Set HP and Dmg....spotting...3rd person vehicle view...it's not hard. Same settings as previous titles. They just don't want it. You'd have to assume its for player retention from some guy that looks at data and drinks too many chai lattes and does smelly poos.

It's pretty obvious from your reply you only read part of the beginning of my post.

On a side note, I don't see how community games impacts team balancing algorithms for quick match, server browser jobs, and between map shuttles, so I feel like discussing missing settings is better for a community games thread.
  • EmineNc33
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    sad that they wont ever see this, reply to it, or even address it..
    gave it a shot atleast
  • MrCamp121
    1168 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Who knows whats going on. All i see are people stack half their team with friends in discord because you know..thats fun..or something. Utter garbage
  • ProAssassin2003
    3868 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think it has everything to do with the Servers and people quitting. Between rounds I've seen over a dozen people quit either because of the Map coming up or they got steamrolled. Then the server never fills back up and it slowly dies.
  • ChickenTheTank
    I think it has everything to do with the Servers and people quitting. Between rounds I've seen over a dozen people quit either because of the Map coming up or they got steamrolled. Then the server never fills back up and it slowly dies.

Half of every server empties so players can reset assignments and set new weapon and vehicle unlocks they got. Which is horrible design on DICE's part.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3868 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Half of every server empties so players can reset assignments and set new weapon and vehicle unlocks they got. Which is horrible design on DICE's part.

This also and yes an absolute terrible design decision.
  • DingoKillr
    4352 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Balance is done by keeping friends together(squads). Which is the biggest pile of.... Not only does it create numerical imbalance but creates clan stacking too.

This was done in BF1 and BFV because the little babies wanted to play with their friends even if it was up to 12 in the same team and got all upset about in BF4 and whined and whinged over the forums.

So if you want blame you should stick it to community for this steamer.

Numerical balance should be the first goal not keeping friends in the same squad.
  • smokiuaces214
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Playing breakthrough is an absolute nightmare. Once the other team starts steamrolling you, your teammates will quit then you're left in a 19v31 match. Ridiculous.

• ChickenTheTank
    edited January 18
    DingoKillr wrote: »
    Balance is done by keeping friends together(squads). Which is the biggest pile of.... Not only does it create numerical imbalance but creates clan stacking too.

This was done in BF1 and BFV because the little babies wanted to play with their friends even if it was up to 12 in the same team and got all upset about in BF4 and whined and whinged over the forums.

So if you want blame you should stick it to community for this steamer.

Numerical balance should be the first goal not keeping friends in the same squad.

No, keeping squads and friends together is a must, and I say that as a solo player. If that doesn't happen, player population will tank.

There are literally thousands of games that have effective team balancing and also keep friends together. There's literally no reason you can't have both.