Gone back to BF1

Beat_Mangler80
549 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I just went back to BF1 last night and I don't imagine I'm coming back to BF5 at all.
There are no noticeable glitches - at all.
It's noticeably slower, soldiers do not run as fast as they do in BF5, this is a big deal for me, it's only slight but it makes a huge difference. BF5 is too much like COD in this regard imo.
The map design and modes feel very well planned out, I can strategically and carefully position myself  facing an objective knowing no enemy will randomly pop up behind me. In BF5 with people rushing all over the map with no apparent strategy and just hoping to run into people by running everywhere, well it has a massively different feel to the game. 
The graphics are not a step down, they are equally as good.
All the game modes are there, I played rush for hours. I can be certain that when I play later today, no modes will be removed without any given reason like constantly happens on BF5. This here really finished me for BF5.
The lobbies are well populated, like extremely well populated - the same as if not more than what we see on BF5.
No disappointments or endless delays, the game is solid and there's no constant nerfing and boosting, just a great game without any of the nonsense that goes on around BF5, none of it.
Now I can take BF seriously again, I can't recommend enough to others that they give it a try as well. 

Comments

• SgtStav
    146 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe dice need too take a hint ,
    Most youtubers and content creators also stopped playing bfv and now produses videos from bf1 and bfv 3-4
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1403 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall said:
    No disappointments or endless delays, the game is solid and there's no constant nerfing and boosting, just a great game without any of the nonsense that goes on around BF5, none of it.

I would attribute that to the game already being out for over 3 years and receiving all of its content and updates already. Bf1 did have bugs, it did have delays, it did get one of its dlc releases split in half, it did and still does have netcode issues like every other BF game, it did have MULTIPLE changes to weapon and gadget balance throughout its lifetime.

This is another case of people directly comparing a game that has finished its post launch development cycle to a game that is essentially in the middle of its post launch development cycle. Bf1 did not magically launch in the state its in today, nor did it achieve that state 1 year after launch. It got two entire years of patches, content additions, and changes and the game went through plenty of controversy throughout its life cycle.

while this is true BF1 never had this much of a bad streak in its life-cycle. BF1 also never had an identity-crisis like BFV has.
    BF1 was a lot more arcade-like then BFV at launch but now even that has been remedied by DICE. BF1 had interesting weapon-choices for each class BFV has 1-2 weapons per class that are even viable for the average joe
  • FatherDed
    291 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just out of curiosity, I nipped into the BF1 forum to see what people were saying in January 2018, a comparable point in it's lifecycle. Here's a selection of thread titles (cherry-picked I admit). Far away hills look green ....

Welcome to stupidfield !
    Latency issues and high ping new
    Can't see my gun, stuff after respawn
    Galicia is broken. The map needs more work and balancing.
    Domination is pointless now.
    More problems... 
    Annoyingly tired of Battlepacks 
    What has happened!! 
    Cheating and it's got to stop 
    Unbalanced Servers, Why EA? 
    Battle of the Somme Map Needs Some Work
    welcome to cod ww1 
    Tired of the balance issue in this game
    why dice employers not get rid of cheaters bf 1 is dying every single day more and more new
    Servers down. Again.
    Here is What is Wrong With This Game
    Anybody else hate the fifteen minute fog? 
    Should i move to Battlefield 4?(Battlefield 1 rant)
    Bad game (waste of money)
    Finally gave up on BF1 and got a refund
    Why this game is Trash
  • FatherDed
    291 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall said:

It's just now the community is doing to BF5 what they did to every other game. The next bf title comes out and has issues like every other BF title, and all of a sudden the previous BF title was the best thing since sliced bread and has no issues ....

.... I'm willing to bet cold, hard cash that in my post history on this very forum, there are multiple posts from 2016/2017 where I pointed out people exhibiting this behavior toward BF1 when it came out, just as I'm pointing it out now for BF5 ....

.... It's a never-ending and consistent cycle that I've witnessed firsthand on these forums and Battlelog for YEARS. The moment a new title drops, people throw their rose tinted nostalgia glasses on and seem to completely forget the past 2 years we went through with the most recent game. People in this community seem to only have a memory that spans like 10 months.
    Testify.

I've not really visited forums since back in the days of BF2, BF2142. but the exact same cycle happened then - when BF2 was out, people waxed lyrical about BF1942 and raged about various issues in BF2. It's uncanny and pretty hilarious how people act the same again and again.
  • NLBartmaN
    4484 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall said:
    It saw a change to the game to make it better by applying server-side hit reg to players with over 100ms, and literally reverted the changes less than a week after they were applied and caused a huge controversy over it.
    Aaah the 100ms threshold that made the game perfect ... but that cost too much money, because players that should not play on certain servers outside of their region would have needed servers in their own region ... and could no longer play without the Netcode helping them.

BF V would instantly be so much better if they would bring that threshold to BF V and ignore all the players with trash connections and that play out of Region. (or give them servers in their own Region)

I am so done with players with ping above 100 that have triple the number of kills of the rest of the server and close to no deaths and that destroy the game for the rest of the players.

I instantly quit a server if I see more than 3 players with ping above 100ms or with insane latency variation, it makes the game unplayable.
  • Loqtrall
    12417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 21
    true nostalgia is always clouding the perception of the previous game. but every problem BF1 has had that was even fixed is now back in BFV and that is simply unacceptable no matter what the product is. if you bring your new car in for repairs and they then break 2 other parts of your car you would be fuming at your mouth and rightfully so. DICE has just done too many too impacting mistakes with BFV and they are in my opinion not even close to the level of f screw ups they did in BF1. sure they took huge libertys in BF1 with all the weapons and battles but i they nailed atmosphere non the less.
    net-code issues were as far as i remember never even close to as bad as BFVs issues in that regard.
    if you disliked BF1 character customization you should cry bloody murder in BFV because they took all that from BF1 and put it into the Nth. degree.i am by no means defending BF1 as a good game but even ine year into the game i remember it to be in a more stable state then BFV will most likely ever be

Lmao, and the exact same thing happened in BF1. Are you under some naive impression that all of the issues fixed in BF4 translated directly to BF1? That's not even remotely the case. Nor did it happen between Bf4 and BF3, or BF3 and BC2. It has never happened - every BF game launches with a myriad of issued both tied to Frostbite engine legacy issues and issues that are specifically unique to the game itself.

They only nailed the atmosphere if the person saying so knows legitimately jack squat about ww1 and the reality of it. It's more akin to a fantasy quasi ww2, alternate universe than it is to ww1, legitimately. It's inaccurate and inauthentic in literally all the same ways BF5 is, and in some ways even BF5 does more accurately and authentically.

The only reason you feel BF5s pitfalls are more egregious to BF1s and that BF1s don't even come close is because you're not currently experiencing them and your most recent interaction with the game is after 2 entire years of constant patching and multiple content additions.

There's an entire subforum here that contradicts your claims that BF1s issues weren't as egregious or bad as BF5s at the same point in time in its life cycle.

You can remember it that way all you like, but there's objectively more evidence/personal accounts pointing out otherwise.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    1003 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN said:
    Loqtrall said:
    It saw a change to the game to make it better by applying server-side hit reg to players with over 100ms, and literally reverted the changes less than a week after they were applied and caused a huge controversy over it.
    Aaah the 100ms threshold that made the game perfect ... but that cost too much money, because players that should not play on certain servers outside of their region would have needed servers in their own region ... and could no longer play without the Netcode helping them.

BF V would instantly be so much better if they would bring that threshold to BF V and ignore all the players with trash connections and that play out of Region. (or give them servers in their own Region)

I am so done with players with ping above 100 that have triple the number of kills of the rest of the server and close to no deaths and that destroy the game for the rest of the players.

I instantly quit a server if I see more than 3 players with ping above 100ms or with insane latency variation, it makes the game unplayable.
    But good luck finding a server will less than three players below 100ms!
  • NLBartmaN
    4484 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN said:
    Loqtrall said:

But good luck finding a server will less than three players below 100ms!
    Most of the time I am lucky on EU PS4 servers around the time I start playing, but from around 10PM the high pingers (African/US) start joining and game becomes close to unplayable ...

It is just insane the Netcode/Servers are so trash, that the impact is so clear.

Lowering the threshold in BF1 for that short period made such an impact. which just proofs how bad it is.

And now in BF V, where the FPS are even lower, the movement is even faster and the TTK lower, the impact is even more noticeable.
  • trip1ex
    5185 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The thing is BF1 is kind of boring.  BFV just makes it look much more fun than it was.  

• Noodlesocks
    3538 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Was surprised to see how populated BF1 still was when I tried it a few days ago. Only loaded it up to test something but then I just kept playing. The difference in quality and gameplay is insane.

It’s really not even close. The 2nd year of BFV with all its patches still won’t hold a candle to BF1. I honestly think DICE put their heart/soul into BF1. Not sure what their inspiration for BFV was?

Can't say for certainty that even they knew what their inspiration for BFV was. Lack of soul is a good way to describe BFV, it's such a shallow, empty game.
  • Beat_Mangler80
    549 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If whenever the next BF game comes out and people praise how good BFV was compared to the new game then BF is in trouble. Regardless I think BF1 is a worlds better game than BFV. Better maps, better class balance, more variety of weapons, player movement, netcode (this is a big one for me and it's not even close between the two), atmosphere, graphics ( I can't stand the bright cartoonish color palette of BFV), fun factor, audio. I can't see any of this changing in BFV no matter how many updates they put out. For me the game is dead.

That's something I didn't think of - atmosphere. BF1 is dripping in it, BF5 is a joke in comparison. I like to really get into my game and get engrossed in it, BF1 can do that for me no problem.