80% on players on EU servers are high pingers

humramos1970
7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Can't you do something about that ?

I mean, would'nt it be a quick win for everyone if you had that feature on every server ?

Comments

• dcs500
    1495 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What do you consider high ping?
  • WetFishDB
    2229 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 14

I mean, would'nt it be a quick win for everyone if you had that feature on every server ?
    As someone with a low ping in EU servers, I understand the frustration.  However, there is only so much Dice can do.

Some places don't have active servers (or any servers) and so EU becomes their nearest - there's nothing the player can do.  In some places there isn't enough demand to keep servers active, and so there is nothing Dice or the players can do.  Some people have terrible internet infrastructure, despite being in the EU - there isn't really much either the player or Dice can do in that scenario either.  They won't want to make it impossible for people to play their game for no real reason.

The one thing Dice could do, is make sure there is no benefit to deliberately playing outside of region.  Me and a few friends from EU have been playing on US East servers (on BF1 admittedly, not BFV), and whilst there's pros and cons to doing so, I'm finding slower firing guns have better hit reg when my ping is 85 than when it's 28.  That really should never be the case.
  • sendjes
    616 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This has been posted in several topics already, and as a player with a ping between 15 and 25 playing on EU servers, Germans, I see highpingers every day, pings above 150 even up to 350, this issue was posted on the Trello November last year, but still has not been sorted.
    Source:

• h1nduku5h_x
    15 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i'd matchmake all lowpingers <100ms in a seperate match and all highpingers >100ms in a seperate match. mainly i play firestorm solomode and get there often matchmaked as EU player in NA servers with a 120ms ping, instead into my EU server with a 30ms ping... since months (!!!!!)
  • WetFishDB
    2229 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i'd matchmake all lowpingers <100ms in a seperate match and all highpingers >100ms in a seperate match. mainly i play firestorm solomode and get there often matchmaked as EU player in NA servers with a 120ms ping, instead into my EU server with a 30ms ping... since months (!!!!!)
    I actually think that's a really good idea conceptually, especially for solo players via quick match. But it does have a few problems in other scenarios:

- When you are in party, each player will have different pings, so how do you determine which server they should go to?  Follow the highest ping?  How would playing with you friends work?  For example, what happens if you have a low ping (and you are on a low ping server) and one of your high ping mate joins your party/squad?  Do you now get kicked from the low ping server?  That doesn't sound like a great experience. Or can't play with your mate unless you both join a high ping server? Again, not a great experience really.

- What happens if your ping fluctuates mid round on a low ping server (I have a friend who's internet is normally around 30ms, but occasionally has a hissy fit and jumps up considerably)?  Get kicked for a few minutes of instability?  Again, not a great experience.  

I accept Firestorm is a different kettle of fish - the issue you have there could in part be down to a lack of critical mass of players to find a round in your region in a reasonable period of time.
  • WetFishDB
    sendjes said:
    This has been posted in several topics already, and as a player with a ping between 15 and 25 playing on EU servers, Germans, I see highpingers every day, pings above 150 even up to 350, this issue was posted on the Trello November last year, but still has not been sorted.
    Source:

Whilst I accept there is a bug, that's not the only reason high pingers land on EU (or any other regions) servers.  I suspect far more join for other reasons, such as:

- The server was manually chosen from the browser (for whatever reason)
    - Friend is on that server, and so joining on them
    - No active servers in their region, i.e. EU is their nearest
    - They live in the EU but their router is held together by sticky tape and it's basically a potato with wires coming out of it
    - Want to play with a slightly higher ping (as it has an advantage in some circumstances)
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

So, EU servers are based in Frankfurt. I'd assume that connecting from Istanbul or Moscow would put you at a ping of 70? Give another 10 for good measure, so we assume that everyone above 70 or 80 is a high pinger. There are 64 players on a server. 80% would mean that 52 players in every round would have a ping of 70-80 or higher.
    Now the last round I played had four people over 100, which I consider on the high side, add another two with 70-80 and we have around 9% "high pingers". I must either be really lucky, or most likely this is a vast exaggeration.
  • h1nduku5h_x
    15 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 14
    WetFishDB said:
    - When you are in party, each player will have different pings, so how do you determine which server they should go to?  Follow the highest ping?
    if a player in the party does have a >100ms ping, they'd join a seperate match with highpingers >100ms, else they'd join a seperate match with lowpingers <100ms.

For example, what happens if you have a low ping (and you are on a low ping server) and one of your high ping mate joins your party/squad?
    the high ping mate couldnt join the party/squad of the player who is in a seperate match with lowpingers <100ms.

- What happens if your ping fluctuates mid round on a low ping server (I have a friend who's internet is normally around 30ms, but occasionally has a hissy fit and jumps up considerably)?  Get kicked for a few minutes of instability? 
    here could help a "no damage dealing penalty". if his ping is over 110ms he cant deal damage, but he can receive damage.

I accept Firestorm is a different kettle of fish - the issue you have there could in part be down to a lack of critical mass of players to find a round in your region in a reasonable period of time.

after a reasonable period of time (3 minutes?) the player could get a notification: "no seperate lowping match <100ms found, do you want search for a seperate match with highpingers >100ms instead? "YES / NO keep searching for a seperate lowping match <100ms"".

Post edited by h1nduku5h_x on
  • Hercules728
    231 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I've been really struggling playing at night on the West Coast North American servers . Every match I was lagging , there had to have been at least 20 to 25  players with pings over 150. How are they able to play ? Do they have an advantage , these players were not having my issues?  Most of them were leading their teams in kills and score . Not sure exactly how this works but I can barely play at night . People need to play in their divisions . 
  • misisipiRivrRat
    993 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:

So, EU servers are based in Frankfurt. I'd assume that connecting from Istanbul or Moscow would put you at a ping of 70? Give another 10 for good measure, so we assume that everyone above 70 or 80 is a high pinger. There are 64 players on a server. 80% would mean that 52 players in every round would have a ping of 70-80 or higher.
    Now the last round I played had four people over 100, which I consider on the high side, add another two with 70-80 and we have around 9% "high pingers". I must either be really lucky, or most likely this is a vast exaggeration.
    Hey VincentNZ,
     IHere in the midwest the number of high ping players seems to be higher in evening and early mornings. I've posted video in these forums showing many players in us servers with pings above 125ms. In my experience when there are too many in a server I start noticing the server to go to crap.
  • ackers75
    2630 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is what happens when you have minimal servers/you have to give high ping players a playable experience called lashings of lag compensation.
    You suffer because you play locally and we have been here many times before.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    993 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Many times while playing online shooters, because of the damn laggy mess we sometimes get, I'll fondly remember having 8-10 friends over to play Halo. Eveyone would bring a tv and their copy of Halo and bam, hours of lag free fun. It's disappointing that today something can't be implemented to have more enjoyable gameplay the majority of the time.
  • ackers75
    2630 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Many times while playing online shooters, because of the damn laggy mess we sometimes get, I'll fondly remember having 8-10 friends over to play Halo. Eveyone would bring a tv and their copy of Halo and bam, hours of lag free fun. It's disappointing that today something can't be implemented to have more enjoyable gameplay the majority of the time.

Them were the days pal!
    It seems we have gone backwards
  • NLBartmaN
    4281 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    LAN parties were the best thing ever.
  • ackers75
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    (Quote)

Yep I remember them days well.
    I even had a dfi LAN party motherboard that cost me an arm and a leg.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    3224 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB said:

As someone with a low ping in EU servers, I understand the frustration.  However, there is only so much Dice can do.

Some places don't have active servers (or any servers) and so EU becomes their nearest - there's nothing the player can do.  In some places there isn't enough demand to keep servers active, and so there is nothing Dice or the players can do.  Some people have terrible internet infrastructure, despite being in the EU - there isn't really much either the player or Dice can do in that scenario either.  They won't want to make it impossible for people to play their game for no real reason.

The one thing Dice could do, is make sure there is no benefit to deliberately playing outside of region.  Me and a few friends from EU have been playing on US East servers (on BF1 admittedly, not BFV), and whilst there's pros and cons to doing so, I'm finding slower firing guns have better hit reg when my ping is 85 than when it's 28.  That really should never be the case.
    Add separate EA servers with ping limit. This way, you can have servers with ping of 50-60 or less and other servers that have out of region players.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    ackers75 said:
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    (Quote)

Yep I remember them days well.
    I even had a dfi LAN party motherboard that cost me an arm and a leg.
    I remember a fun game all the way back to the ps2. It only allowed 4 players split screen. We'd have 8 or 9 friends drinking and playing. Low score at the end of a match had to give up his controller. Oh the game was Timesplitters!
  • ackers75
    (Quote)
    I remember a fun game all the way back to the ps2. It only allowed 4 players split screen. We'd have 8 or 9 friends drinking and playing. Low score at the end of a match had to give up his controller. Oh the game was Timesplitters!

Timesplitters was a fantastic game