The Chat filter is out of control

JCap334
31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited February 21
I'm sure most people here can agree the "profanity" filter goes above and beyond what I believe it was originally designed for, and it has to go. Besides your normal "Class A Curse Words", such as the F word, etc, it filters things even a child wouldn't be offended by. Ironically, many of the words filtered in chat are used by the voice acting in-game. This game is rated M for Mature, but this chat filter is designed for 5 year olds and/or weak-minded people who get offended by everything. It should be called a "Politically Correct Filter". I guess it's the world we live in now with ever increasing censorship. Here is a handful of non-curse words that are completely filtered:

poop
suck
bootie (with a y) Apparently its filtered in here too
crap
terrorist

This isn't by far the biggest issue in the game, but rather annoying that this filter is blocking rated G words.

Comments

• bigdaddygonutz
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 21
    I honestly think the chat filter should be even more strict and players should be banned from the chat for a month if they cant behave - the toxic chat in BF V is extreme and I am sad to see nothing is done about it.

The message should be simple:

Chat in a normal polite manner or you are banned from chat - period

PS:

I remember I played on a private BF 4 server that had a point system so everytime you "broke the chat rules" by using faul language you got a minus point and when you had XX amount of minus point you got a 1 month ban from the chat = The chat was nice and polite and people learned the hard way how to behave........... excellent!
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1407 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The overuse of variations of the n-word get tiring.
  • Carbonic
    1762 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited February 21
    Ignoring your remaining argumentation I believe that the game rated M for Mature has no bearing on what language should be like in the chat. The in-game spoken language is an artistic expression fitting the game-setting that no one would take personally - the language in chat, voice comms etc. are actual real life people communicating to you and in your personal space. You can not use one as an excuse for how you talk in the other. A comparable example would be going to the movies seeing an M-rated movie, yes the movie might contain foul language but that doesn't mean your fellow moviegoers can talk like that to you without it being socially unacceptable - the foul language in the movie does not excuse yours or the behavior of others.
  • BassMan_PC
    221 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 21
    It shouldn't be censored at all.  Let people say what they want to say.  If it is offensive, suck it up and keep playing.  People shouldn't be wasting so much time in the chat anyway.  PTFO!
  • TFBisquit
    2117 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    We can disable chat.
  • CSO7777
    1614 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 21
    It shouldn't be censored at all.  Let people say what they want to say.  If it is offensive, suck it up and keep playing.  People shouldn't be wasting so much time in the chat anyway.  PTFO!
    At least let people decide. Personally I would like to be able to not censor the chat. 

Sometimes I play in a squad with only danish players and some of our danish words are censored, because the chat filters english/american words and some words has different meanings in our language (and probably other languages as well), it is really awful.
  • Callisto90
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    in a game that's 18+ in most countries and where mass killing is glorified i think the chat filter is a bit hypocritical.
    Sure ban real swear words. but 90% of it is like 1920's cuss words. It's pathetic.
  • SirBobdk
    4756 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just speak normal and respect others. Problem Solved.

• iamwiener
    262 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 23
    Sometimes you can not address your message to a specific player because parts of his name are blocked by the chat filter.
    I once tried to explain why I do not want to squad up with someone who had a N_a_z_i (1st edit) reference in his name but it was absolutely impossible due to the filter.
  • MOSSAD-RECRUITER
    363 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The most ugly words are just spelled a little different, and everyone understands what it means. So whats the point with a filter. In fact, it just encourage more toxic language from those who can't control themselves. Human psychology.
  • PsiHo1389
    75 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Im first toxic in chat when i see hacker...
    I start to: ***** mother father and all family :)
    Nothing else just hate hackers
  • Odds1979
    67 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The profanity filter should be an feature you either enable or disable.
  • -Antares65z
    1723 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 24
    Odds1979 said:
    The profanity filter should be an feature you either enable or disable.
    I'm pretty sure that is an option in the latest COD MW. 
  • 5hadyBrady
    467 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 24
    Carbonic said:
    Ignoring your remaining argumentation I believe that the game rated M for Mature has no bearing on what language should be like in the chat. The in-game spoken language is an artistic expression fitting the game-setting that no one would take personally - the language in chat, voice comms etc. are actual real life people communicating to you and in your personal space. You can not use one as an excuse for how you talk in the other. A comparable example would be going to the movies seeing an M-rated movie, yes the movie might contain foul language but that doesn't mean your fellow moviegoers can talk like that to you without it being socially unacceptable - the foul language in the movie does not excuse yours or the behavior of others.

Who said every time somebody uses a "curse" word , it's being used in an offensive manner? The algorithm is assuming or guessing context. If I say , "what the @#$ was that?", who is going to be offended? Nobody. Context matters. The chat filter thinks it knows all sorts of things it doesn't know. The tech industry relies heavily on these sorts of algorithms , and in the end, they don't work anyways. In fact, they usually make it worse. You end up creating a game for people, where they sit there and try to figure out ways around your stupid algorithm. Now people are beating your system, and , they're purposely going out of their way to be offensive because you're challenging them by trying to play daddy. I mean , what are like a bunch of amateurs? The internet never loses. Name one time you've been able to beat the internet with some stupid algorithm or mod control? You'd be better off attempting to cure cancer or something. I've got a great idea... We can end offensive discourse by filtering naughty words. Okay, good luck with that...... Apparently nobody's learned anything over the last 15 years.
  • JCap334
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic said:
    I agree with everything that you are saying, but why filter words like "poop"??
  • Carbonic
    1762 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    JCap334 said:
    Carbonic said:
    I agree with everything that you are saying, but why filter words like "poop"??
    The perfect filter does not exist as filters and how you make filters are inherently flawed.
    I don't know how this filter is created but lets say an algorithm goes over all reports EA gets for bad language +verbal abuse and that EA agrees with was unacceptable and collects the words that figure there but in not of the other chat that is taking place. It might be the case that almost no one has ever used that word positively and therefore the algorithm has put it on the list.
    It could also be that the filter filters out content based on regular expressions and the word means something worse in another language that also has words that are getting filtered.

In any case, you can easily communicate without getting in trouble with the filter so it's all just nitpicking at some point. Be creative. Lets say you are at the back of one of the ships in the Pacific maps and you want to communicate that using naval slang - you can't say you are on the "poop deck", so just say "excrement deck"
    wait wait
    say you are at the stern of the ship - there, much better.
  • MrCamp121
    1000 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 24
    They mixed up antiCHAT and antiCHEAT. this is why half the english language is banned :)
  • Blackidus
    327 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don´t really use profanity when I type but when I can´t type "Tea bag" in the chat i´m mad.
    Whats wrong with a tea bag? I drink tea all the time while playing.
  • SquaddFather
    118 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Actually just make Chat a player choice in game “ Sensored or Unsensored !