BFV 60FPS PS4 VS 60FPS PC

CedarOfLebanon
661 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
So I decided to try BFV on console specifically PS4, why does the game feel so smooth and fast on PS4 capped at 60FPS while on PC if i do cap it to 60FPS it feels so slow? I have a 144hz monitor on pc.

Comments

• Jinko_itx
    777 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    it depends, a high-end system with ray tracing on at 4k rez runs completely smooth with no lag , everyone only concentrates on Hz when frametime is just as important, console can do an excellent job as they have only one spec to work with ( All PS4 uses the same hardware )...60 hz is ok so as long as the frametime is as low as possible as Sony made that a priority, PC, you need a balanced machine which many do not have so frametime suffers even if their getting high framrate.
  • CedarOfLebanon
    661 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have a rtx 2080 myself and a 9700k... I can easily play on ultra and max out the fps 1080p... but if I do cap the fps at 60, the game feels very slow, while on ps4 it is capped at 60fps and the game feels fast and smooth. I tried both my pc and the ps4 side by side, ps4 is much smoother at 60fps stable
  • Jinko_itx
    777 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    strange, i dont have that problem at all...
  • CedarOfLebanon
    the fps at 60fps on pc don't feel smooth like 60fps on console, on pc 60fps feels slow compared to 60fps console, try it yourself...
  • BassMan_PC
    262 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 28
    the fps at 60fps on pc don't feel smooth like 60fps on console, on pc 60fps feels slow compared to 60fps console, try it yourself...

Do you have both the PC and PS4 hooked up to the same display with the same image processing settings?  Do you have VSync on?  Are you using a controller for both?  Make sure it is an apples to apples comparison.
  • SuperiorByGender
    3239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This is the effect of proper optimization and consistent frame times. Game is designed to run at 60FPS on consoles, while on PC it runs uncapped. 

Even if you run FPS cap or VSync, it won't feel as smooth because your hardware is trying to produce more FPS, but software is slowing it down. This results in unstable frame times.  Console hardware by default is producing no more than 60FPS which results in smooth and consistent frame time. 

This is also the reason why watching 60FPS videos feels so smooth. Its because after 60FPS render, each frame is displayed at the exact rate to maintain 60FPS. 
  • BassMan_PC
    262 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 29
    This is the effect of proper optimization and consistent frame times. Game is designed to run at 60FPS on consoles, while on PC it runs uncapped. 

Even if you run FPS cap or VSync, it won't feel as smooth because your hardware is trying to produce more FPS, but software is slowing it down. This results in unstable frame times.  Console hardware by default is producing no more than 60FPS which results in smooth and consistent frame time. 

This is also the reason why watching 60FPS videos feels so smooth. Its because after 60FPS render, each frame is displayed at the exact rate to maintain 60FPS. 

It is not a limitation of PC.  Run a display at 60hz, enable V-sync and you will get consistent frame times if your hardware is not bottle-necking. Now the other factor is the image processing.  He/she may be running motion smoothing and other things on a TV that makes it look smoother.  That is why I suggested an apples to apples comparison on the same display, same settings, and same input device.
  • Titan_Awaken
    1312 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If your monitor has adaptive sync technology like G-Sync/Free Sync, enable it. 
  • xHonest_Abe
    218 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yep....run this thread again when the new powerful consoles come out at the end of the year. For only the price of a high end graphics card ($500), the new console will probably out perform most store bought gaming PC. And the console servers are well managed, too, unlike the PC servers that we get currently on BF5. 
  • BassMan_PC
    Yep....run this thread again when the new powerful consoles come out at the end of the year. For only the price of a high end graphics card ($500), the new console will probably out perform most store bought gaming PC. And the console servers are well managed, too, unlike the PC servers that we get currently on BF5. 

The new AMD and Nvidia GPUs available at the end of the year will be even more powerful than what we have now and you will be able to buy a good one for $500 or less. Many people already have capable rigs and would only need to upgrade their GPU to match or exceed the performance of the new consoles.  The modular nature of a PC is what makes it so great.  You can customize it to your liking and you don't have to buy a whole new PC every time you upgrade. 

As for the console servers... they are not any better managed than the PC ones.  However, the availability of cheats on PC has a big impact and they have failed big time with anti-cheat methods. 

I still wouldn't give up playing with mouse and keyboard, ultrawide, high refresh rate, ability to change settings, etc.. to play on console.
  • xHonest_Abe
    218 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 3

The new AMD and Nvidia GPUs available at the end of the year will be even more powerful than what we have now and you will be able to buy a good one for $500 or less. Many people already have capable rigs and would only need to upgrade their GPU to match or exceed the performance of the new consoles.  The modular nature of a PC is what makes it so great.  You can customize it to your liking and you don't have to buy a whole new PC every time you upgrade. 

As for the console servers... they are not any better managed than the PC ones.  However, the availability of cheats on PC has a big impact and they have failed big time with anti-cheat methods. 

I still wouldn't give up playing with mouse and keyboard, ultrawide, high refresh rate, ability to change settings, etc.. to play on console.

I read that you will be able to plug (3.0 usb) in a mouse and keyboard if desired on the new consoles at the end of the year. I think it was xbox series X. Anyone out there knows more about this? You currently don't read much too many negative things happening on a console server, but for PC servers there is a 120 page mega tread that never ends or resolve for PC servers.
  • CedarOfLebanon
    (Quote)
    I read that you will be able to plug (3.0 usb) in a mouse and keyboard if desired on the new consoles at the end of the year. I think it was xbox series X. Anyone out there knows more about this? You currently don't read much too many negative things happening on a console server, but for PC servers there is a 120 page mega tread that never ends or resolve for PC servers.

With a smooth 60fps gameplay and a mouse+keyboard lots of players will probably shift from PC to consoles, and play mostly strategy games on PC
  • CedarOfLebanon
    I also noticed something, 60 fps in other games actually feel smooth its just with battlefield games that it does not, take Heavy Rain for example on epic store download the demo and play it in 60fps it feels extremely smooth, then go to bfv and limit the fps to 60 it feels so slow
  • CedarOfLebanon
    UPDATE: I connected my pc to my T.V 60hz that was used on the console. The game on 60fps 60hz felt as smooth as the console on tv. I assume that if you have a monitor with a higer refresh rate you wont have smooth 60fps gameplay as opposed to a native 60hz screen. Even if i set my 144hx monitor to 60hz it wont be as smooth as a 60hz monitor on 60fps..