Why no one is playing SUPPLY DROP

Jirka610CZ
postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
Hello everybody, few days before I started to play BF1 (PC) again. And I'm realy disapointed because everyone is playing only ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ modes or if im lucky enough i can play Pigeons. But can you tell why you dont play Supply Drop? It's the best mode that Bf every created and no one is interested in it? Why play dumb operations and conquests where it's not about skill but only about slaughtery...

Comments

• WetFishDB
    2339 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 25
    I think you'll find that bigger 'all out war' modes like Ops and Conquest are kinda where BF has generally been the market leader, and those modes quite understandably remain very popular with the playerbase.  The niche or smaller modes tend to have a much smaller player base too, and therefore have less populated servers.  As the game has reached it's twilight, those less popular modes will begin to struggle to get populated.  Whether it's the best mode ever or not, that's down to personal opinion - I don't know if I've ever played it TBH.

The argument about skill in one mode vs another is a little bit nonsensical though.  In some ways it's harder to excel as infantry on modes like Conquest due to the varied nature of the engagements (all directions, and vehicles etc) - and as a single person it's harder to influence the outcome of a round with so many more players as there are another 63 players on the server and you can only be one place at one time.  But then in smaller modes there are less players to hide behind, no vehicles to pad your stats etc.  But also more open to imbalance if there are just a couple of bad players on any one side etc.  A single individual's impact is amplified on smaller modes - both positively and negatively.
  • Ronin9572
    1321 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I love Supply drop and miss playing it. But it wasn't very popular when it was released and ppl rather play other modes. Only problem I have with SP is ppl play it like TDM(guess most modes are like that) and don't work together. To me I think every mode has a skill set/style all its own.
  • GerocK-
    691 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Battlefield has always been about Conquest for me. I don't even drive vehicles, but they should still be part of the game for me. There's never been a game that makes it all come together so well.
    I don't even like Operations, even if it's large scale and has vehicles. Because it's too static. In Conquest you have much more freedom to impact the game as a single soldier.
    I enjoyed Supply Drop for a few games, but I don't feel Battlefield excels in smaller and/or infantry only game modes.
  • WetFishDB
    2339 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GerocK- said:
    Battlefield has always been about Conquest for me. I don't even drive vehicles, but they should still be part of the game for me. There's never been a game that makes it all come together so well.
    I don't even like Operations, even if it's large scale and has vehicles. Because it's too static. In Conquest you have much more freedom to impact the game as a single soldier.
    I enjoyed Supply Drop for a few games, but I don't feel Battlefield excels in smaller and/or infantry only game modes.
    I feel the same.  Conquest is definitely the sweet spot.  I didn't mind the smaller operations game mode, but it's just too linear for my liking.  Great for upping the KPM and SPM though given the increased concentration of players and the more limited engagement directions etc.
  • Titan_Awaken
    1312 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The answer is simple: Supply and Demand (No pun intended).

There's not much demand for Supply Drop and hence people don't play it. If you wanna play more Supply Drop matches, you'll first have to convince the masses that it's worth their time. 
  • Celsi_GER
    895 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Battlefield is Conquest. It always was. Don't know why Dice is introducing so many additional game modes, almost nobody plays/likes them.
  • boutneus
    2484 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Mortar trucks camping supply drops. ‘Great mode’
  • MarxistDictator
    5251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I thought it was an infantry mode, honestly don’t remember ever playing it though.
  • Skill4Reel
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why play dumb operations and conquests where it's not about skill but only about slaughtery...

Skill?  You weren't there when Frontlines was introduced.  I was, and all I remember was just as many crappy players running around and hiding all over the map when the objectives are clearly highlighted, and the people on those teams that were trying to fight for the objectives getting outnumbered by the enemy and slaughtered.  No different from Conquest, Rush, and Frontlines which are all great game modes that unfortunately suffer from the lack of quality players on their servers.  
  • snip_survz
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    In my region people are playing EXCLUSIVELY ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ conquest... i LOVE BF1, but its been like 3 months since i played another game mode that isnt conquest... i miss playing rush/frontlines/operations or whatever. Except for the pigeons mode, that i really liked hahaha anyway, i sadly I NEVER played that Air superiority game mode, and dont remember playing supply drop, even tho i play bf1 since like early 2018 :/:/ 
  • WetFishDB
    In my region people are playing EXCLUSIVELY ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ conquest... i LOVE BF1, but its been like 3 months since i played another game mode that isnt conquest... i miss playing rush/frontlines/operations or whatever. Except for the pigeons mode, that i really liked hahaha anyway, i sadly I NEVER played that Air superiority game mode, and dont remember playing supply drop, even tho i play bf1 since like early 2018 :/:/ 
    Yeah, Air Superiority never took off unsurprisingly.  The excuse that pilots just like being pilots didn't seem to be sufficient to ever get going a pilot only mode.  Sure, for some that may have held true, but that clearly wasn't the motivation behind the majority of pilot mains.  It seemed most pilot mains only like being pilots so long as they can farm infantry in comparatively OP stuff.  To the great surprise of almost no one.

I do agree it's a shame other modes don't get going, but it's kinda inevitable as the playerbase dwindles.  More and more people start playing other games, and then it gets to the point where there is insufficient volume to reach critical mass to keep a game mode going.  Conquest is the main differentiator between other games, and normally has the largest following, so it's likely to be the last to die - and it's still going strong thankfully.
  • Titan_Awaken
    1312 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB said:
    Yeah, Air Superiority never took off unsurprisingly.  The excuse that pilots just like being pilots didn't seem to be sufficient to ever get going a pilot only mode.  Sure, for some that may have held true, but that clearly wasn't the motivation behind the majority of pilot mains.  It seemed most pilot mains only like being pilots so long as they can farm infantry in comparatively OP stuff.  To the great surprise of almost no one.

I do agree it's a shame other modes don't get going, but it's kinda inevitable as the playerbase dwindles.  More and more people start playing other games, and then it gets to the point where there is insufficient volume to reach critical mass to keep a game mode going.  Conquest is the main differentiator between other games, and normally has the largest following, so it's likely to be the last to die - and it's still going strong thankfully.
    From the few matches of Air Superiority I have played, it was bloody damn fun

As a pilot centered solely around dogfighting other planes (as opposed to the infantry farmers), it was very surprising to see just how many pilots were clueless at fighting each other instead of people on the ground. Now I'm no where near a top ranking pilot but I managed to net over 33,000 points and get the top frags in that match.

Guess most pilots aren't interested in fighting each other and hence why the mode is dead (at least in my region).
  • Ronin9572
    (Quote)
    From the few matches of Air Superiority I have played, it was bloody damn fun! 

As a pilot centered solely around dogfighting other planes (as opposed to the infantry farmers), it was very surprising to see just how many pilots were clueless at fighting each other instead of people on the ground. Now I'm no where near a top ranking pilot but I managed to net over 33,000 points and get the top frags in that match.

Guess most pilots aren't interested in fighting each other and hence why the mode is dead (at least in my region).

It was a fun mode! Definitely helped me be a better fighter pilot and you also leveled up alot faster too.
  • WetFishDB
    WetFishDB said:

From the few matches of Air Superiority I have played, it was bloody damn fun

I'm not surprised that lots of pilots weren't very good at dealing with other pilots.  Lots of them preferred farming infantry unfortunately - way too many games where the pilots almost have some sort of amnesty against each other for some reason. 

And it was always a niche mode I suspect.  Only for those who actually really enjoy dogfighting and didn't care about KDR etc.  Just never going to be enough of those to sustain the game mode really.
  • MarxistDictator
    5251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Dogfighting takes even less skill than killing ground targets by a mile with no speed control in BF1. Even some garbage random who just bought the game can circle up with the best fighter pilots by the bad design alone. This is the only reason why the tank hunter and dog fighter dominate, you can cripple the enemy plane instantly so you can avoid circles. Air Superiority makes this even worse by basically removing horizontal boundaries so the only thing you can do when a plane is on your tail is dive below the boundary and play chicken (this option isn’t even available in the alps map where it’s fighters only). Literally the only marginally skill involved air superiority was helicopter superiority in BF4 but even this was determined more by gunner skill than pilot skill.
  • chasebarley
    57 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I thought this was about Supply Drop. The only way to get into a game of Supply is when it goes into the weekly rotation now and again. When this happens people need to play it if only for the reason that some other poor soul may still need those wins for the codex or dogtag.
  • HANSGRUBER30
    3089 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 11
    I did try supply drop when it was first launched but found that I spent most of the time being sniped and mortared every time I went for the supply create.

But I do need to finish a few more rounds to complete one of the assignments, so will probably play it next time it comes up on rotation.
    Post edited by HANSGRUBER30 on
  • Skill4Reel
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    LOL.  I just reread my earlier post in this topic, and I meant to write "Supply Drop" in that first sentence instead of "Frontlines."  What I said applies to both modes though.  I jumped on Supply Drop yesterday as it is in the weekly rotation to finally finish the stupid medal, and I had forgotten how fun this game mode is when the teams don't suck.  I lucked up and got into a decent squad right away that was very aggressive around the objectives at all times.  Which is exactly how I like to play.  Teams were getting dominated 500 - 33, and it isn't like we were doing anything special.  We played for the objectives while most of the people on the losing team didn't.  They were content with long range sniping from islands and areas far away from the supplies. 

It sucks being the two or three people on a team like that trying to clear entire squads from a supply.  This is the reason why people probably stopped playing Supply Drop.       
  • Ronin9572
    Skill4Reel wrote: »
    LOL.  I just reread my earlier post in this topic, and I meant to write "Supply Drop" in that first sentence instead of "Frontlines."  What I said applies to both modes though.  I jumped on Supply Drop yesterday as it is in the weekly rotation to finally finish the stupid medal, and I had forgotten how fun this game mode is when the teams don't suck.  I lucked up and got into a decent squad right away that was very aggressive around the objectives at all times.  Which is exactly how I like to play.  Teams were getting dominated 500 - 33, and it isn't like we were doing anything special.  We played for the objectives while most of the people on the losing team didn't.  They were content with long range sniping from islands and areas far away from the supplies. 

It sucks being the two or three people on a team like that trying to clear entire squads from a supply.  This is the reason why people probably stopped playing Supply Drop.       

Such a fun mode, but I know it's not for most ppl. So many times I've seen the other team just give up as soon as the lose their first drop. But yeah I hear you on its fun to be in a good squad that works together.
  • Forkbeard84
    1854 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah Supply Drop is fun and nice to play for a change. I guess its just not as popular as the more commonly found conquest, operations and death match modes.